Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Kersch posted:

Is there any particular reason why you wouldn't want to raise admin efficiency to 100% in every state as well?

State-level admin efficiency effects far less important things than the national number, (I think it's just rates of getting/removing crimes?) and has more working against it. Only Bureaucrats of your national and accepted culture count towards state admin eff, and having non-core provinces in the state slaps a pretty hefty penalty on it as well.

You can only reasonably maintain full state-level efficiency in your homeland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

I've said it before, that's an awesome thing for simulating the feel of the cold war, both sides with a shiny red button that makes everyone lose. It captures the paranoia perfectly when the other side can just declare you the loser in exchange for losing itself.

It's an awful idea when one of the two sides is an AI who does not have any notion of a game over being a bad thing, and the other is a player who would never press the button because a game over is worse than anything else the USSR can do (so like if the USSR invades western Europe, the human USA player would never use nukes even if the AI USA would have because that game over is actually a worse outcome of the war than losing Europe to the USSR, but if the USA starts winning the war and adds unifying Germany under the west as a wargoal, the USSR can just flip the table over and go "Humph, we both lose :reject:"). Also awful when the player may not be a super power with the red button and they get a game over screen as Iran because the USA and USSR nuked eachother over Hawaii.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
Can someone give me a step-by-step guide to annexing Belgium as the Dutch? Every time I try it, me and Prussia stomp Belgium fairly quickly and defeat some of the land invasions of UK foces, then just as we are occupying the last Belgian province the French intervene and pour 300,000 men over the border, wiping out the Dutch and Prussian armies, and destroying any chance at owning Belgium. Why are the French intervening, and how can I stop them?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Raneman posted:

Can someone give me a step-by-step guide to annexing Belgium as the Dutch? Every time I try it, me and Prussia stomp Belgium fairly quickly and defeat some of the land invasions of UK foces, then just as we are occupying the last Belgian province the French intervene and pour 300,000 men over the border, wiping out the Dutch and Prussian armies, and destroying any chance at owning Belgium. Why are the French intervening, and how can I stop them?

I'm pretty sure this isn't viable in NNM because they added a truce between Belgium and Netherlands until 1939, but if you load a new game on January 1st ,1936 and before you ever unpause it, immediately send an alliance offer to France. They'll accept, and they're by far the better ally than Prussia for taking over Belgium. They'll do it for you in like a month.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

gradenko_2000 posted:

Input gets REDUCED by techs and the number of Capitalists in a state, allowing you to produce more without needing as much raw materials

Throughput gets INCREASED by techs, the number of Craftsmen and infrastructure from railroads. If a factory requires 100 craftsmen to produce 100 goods a day, then throughput bonuses allow you to hit that mark with less craftsmen.

Output gets INCREASED by techs and Clerks, allowing you to produce more with the same amount of raw material and craftsmen.

Wait, what? I though throughput just governed how much you can produce total, without altering input or output. Like for instance if you could make 100 widgets out of 100 gadgets using 100 craftsmen and then get a 25% boost to throughput, you could then make 125 widgets out of 125 gadgets using 125 craftsmen.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Tomn posted:

Wait, what? I though throughput just governed how much you can produce total, without altering input or output. Like for instance if you could make 100 widgets out of 100 gadgets using 100 craftsmen and then get a 25% boost to throughput, you could then make 125 widgets out of 125 gadgets using 125 craftsmen.

No, throughput means your craftsmen can process gadgets into widgets more quickly/efficiently, so if at 100% throughput 100 craftsmen processed 100 gadgets into 100 widgets, with a 25% bonus to throughput, the same 100 craftsmen will now process 25 more gadgets, processing 125 gadgets into 125 widgets.

This is helpful when you are selling your widgets, and harmful when you aren't (since the factory purchases the extra 25 gadgets, but the extra 25 widgets don't get sold, so you have extra costs without extra profits).

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

How do I form the South German Confederation or German Empire as Austria? I've beat Prussia to hell and back but there doesn't seem like there is any way for me to reform.

I'm playing NNM.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

QuoProQuid posted:

How do I form the South German Confederation or German Empire as Austria? I've beat Prussia to hell and back but there doesn't seem like there is any way for me to reform.

I'm playing NNM.

I believe you would have to get rid of all your non-core/non-german provinces, leaving you with just Austria proper and Bohemia. You could also take advantage of a bug and form the Danubian Federation, then the SGF, then Germany, but, while fun, that takes time and is pretty gamey.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
What are the generally accepted sliders to skimp on if you're running at a deficit in Victoria 2? I can tell that the education slider affects literacy, but I'm not entirely sure what the administration slider affects, though I can hazard a guess. It looks like there's two ways to cut military funding, by either cutting stockpiled military goods or the military funding slider itself, and it might be good to know which one of those is better to cut if necessary.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

Necroneocon posted:

Everyone would say it was boring, just like people here used to complain Vicky 2 was boring.

Except Vicky 2 actually was boring and completely failed to simulate international diplomacy on a meaningful scale. The sphere system still sucks, as does the whole "improve relations" thing. Press a button and wait if you want to be friends with a nation. Or press a button several times and wait a month in between pressing buttons.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Kersch posted:

What are the generally accepted sliders to skimp on if you're running at a deficit in Victoria 2? I can tell that the education slider affects literacy, but I'm not entirely sure what the administration slider affects, though I can hazard a guess. It looks like there's two ways to cut military funding, by either cutting stockpiled military goods or the military funding slider itself, and it might be good to know which one of those is better to cut if necessary.

You should be generally cutting down military consumption on peacetime (unless all the goods are purchased domestically, in which case it could save domestic arms industries). Military spending generally doesn't make up a large part of your income. Bureaucrats, on the other hand, get paid very, very handsomely; feel free to skimp on them if you have 100 administrative efficiency, it's not likely to fall by virtue of that alone (but keep in mind that you'll end up with reduced middle tax taxes as your bureaucrats will receive a lower pay).

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Puella Magissima posted:

I believe you would have to get rid of all your non-core/non-german provinces, leaving you with just Austria proper and Bohemia. You could also take advantage of a bug and form the Danubian Federation, then the SGF, then Germany, but, while fun, that takes time and is pretty gamey.

So am I stuck forever as Austria or Austria-Hungary without overthrowing the Hapsburgs?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cumfart Vortex posted:

Except Vicky 2 actually was boring and completely failed to simulate international diplomacy on a meaningful scale. The sphere system still sucks, as does the whole "improve relations" thing. Press a button and wait if you want to be friends with a nation. Or press a button several times and wait a month in between pressing buttons.

You just described basically all diplomacy in a game ever so what is your point.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

There's certainly other, better, ways to include a "increase relations" in a game. Like placing a limited number of diplomats to take care of that poo poo for you.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Vicky 2 has it the wrong way around in my view - countries send diplomats and goodwill delegations to each other, but those tend to either be in the aftermath of a war or between countries already friendly. Most of the rest of the time positive relations are formed out of one of three things: Mutual need, e.g. a coalition against France; Trade; or perceived cultural similarities, e.g. between America and the UK today, though to what extent that factored into Victorian thinking I can't say.

But I'm not convinced what else you could do that still left things in your hands. Maybe a system similar to influence where you can just say "We want better relations with Prussia" and your people get to it, whilst possible tensions such as cores on each other or competition over the same industries or what have you decrease it.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Nobody likes the old fixed number relation system tbh, it's just a remnant because V2 is an older game. CK2-style opinions is a much better and more dynamic system.

Viral Warfare
Aug 4, 2010

~~a n d I a m c a l m~~

CharlestheHammer posted:

You just described basically all diplomacy in a game ever so what is your point.

I forgot that you weren't allowed to criticize bad things in games if more than one game did a bad thing.

Pimpmust posted:

There's certainly other, better, ways to include a "increase relations" in a game. Like placing a limited number of diplomats to take care of that poo poo for you.

That's still barely a game, though. I don't know why you can't make a game out of diplomacy just like you make a game out of war - if anything, diplomacy should take center stage in a Victorian-era game. It wasn't like there was ever a point the Swedes said "Okay, we're going to annex Croatia now because we've helped Prussia a lot in this war with Austria-Hungary" - and yet I've seen that happen in many games.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

QuoProQuid posted:

So am I stuck forever as Austria or Austria-Hungary without overthrowing the Hapsburgs?

You can release your non-core/non-german provinces as satellites if you want but in my opinion at least, it's more fun to be A-H than Germany.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cumfart Vortex posted:

I forgot that you weren't allowed to criticize bad things in games if more than one game did a bad thing.

I didn't do that.

Edit: Though I guess you could think all paradox games are boring. Didn't think of that possibility.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 19, 2013

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

Evil Agita posted:

What is this the Paradox forums? No I bought the game and all the DLCs on steam, but I did pull them out into their own folder to run it because who needs steam telling you how long you've been playing. It was working until the beta patch.

E: I'll download the beta patch and run it in the clean steam folder to see if it works.

Did you have any luck getting this to work? I am having the same problem with a Steam version of Vicky 2 and the new beta patch. Always crashes at the "Adapting History" part of the loading screen after I pick a country. I just tried installing it again on a clean install and no dice.

Edit: Looks like somebody on the Paradox forums found a solution here, will try it!

seal it with a kiss fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 19, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kersch posted:

If you can afford it, I strongly suggest maxing out your education, admin, and military spending sliders. If you need money, cut admin spending first, then military, then education (unless you already have very high literacy, or good education bonuses). Reason being is that your POPs' promotion rates to government employees is highly dependent on slider positions. If you lower military spending, POPs will promote to soldiers and officers at a slower rate, and will stop promoting sooner. All government employee promotion rates have a kind of equilibrium point, where having more of that POP type slows down the promotion rate - having 3% clergy means other POPs will promote to clergy slower than if you had 2% - and they'll simply stop promoting once they get above that equilibrium point. The point is based primarily on slider position, but also affected by literacy and a few other factors, like for bureaucrats, it will increase for every social reform you pass, to match the amount of bureaucrats you need for max admin efficiency.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Raneman posted:

Step one: send a national focus to increase tension in Wallonia. Step two get a crisis and kill the Belgians when everyone joins on your side because they hate the United Kingdom. Step 3 take their other poo poo once the peace treaty wears off.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Sorry to disrupt the HoD talk, but I remember reading in here at some stage that in CK2 you can allow female members of your court to become council positions other than your spymaster. Seeing as I can't find the post/s after searching the forums, would anyone mind sharing this information with me? Since I would like to actually be able to utilize my endless amounts of genius daughters and sisters for something other than intrigue. (which is typically their one weakness; although that doesn't stop them from trying to plot to kill my current spymaster and take his job! :downsgun:)

Also, I did find mention that women can't gain the Crusader trait, so is this the case even after performing the alterations needed to be able to make them marshall? (although I don't think there is really any way to make females be generals without it, isn't there?) Since yeah, if that's the case, would anyone mind helping me out there too? :shobon:

Thanks

EDIT: vvv Whoops, sorry! I think I managed to find the correct file for my first question after a bit of digging around in the game's sub-folders, anyway.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 19, 2013

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

We actually have a dedicated CK2 thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486530&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Although with all the V2 chatter lately we almost need a dedicated V2 thread...

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Cumfart Vortex posted:

That's still barely a game, though. I don't know why you can't make a game out of diplomacy just like you make a game out of war - if anything, diplomacy should take center stage in a Victorian-era game. It wasn't like there was ever a point the Swedes said "Okay, we're going to annex Croatia now because we've helped Prussia a lot in this war with Austria-Hungary" - and yet I've seen that happen in many games.

Honestly war should entirely be revamped to only happen via crisis, sphering nations should be much more interesting allow crisis's to form.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Cumfart Vortex posted:

Not since this thread became the Paradox Appreciation Station. A year ago it was full of everyone rightfully complaining about buggy games and racist setups but once the paradevs showed up the goons lined up to slobber all over every turd pushed out by PDS.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I'm sorry is this not the thread where multiple probations have been handed out to goon and dev alike over arguments over if a paradox game or some aspect of one, is terrible or not.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Nobody complains because its so extremely tiresome to have that guy show up and do his ridiculous multi page defense of his co-workers lovely design choice.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

seal it with a kiss posted:

Did you have any luck getting this to work? I am having the same problem with a Steam version of Vicky 2 and the new beta patch. Always crashes at the "Adapting History" part of the loading screen after I pick a country. I just tried installing it again on a clean install and no dice.

Edit: Looks like somebody on the Paradox forums found a solution here, will try it!

Whoa thanks man, that totally worked. Yeah so I had to pull the files out of the beta .rar and put them in a separate folder, then drag them all into the proper folder from there. Weird solution, but I'm stoked it works now.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Playing NNM with the beta patch. I've been tearing apart the Austrians and Russians (as Germany) and releasing new countries. The more consolidated the better, since its less sphere stuff to manage. Bohemia-Moravia merged with Slovakia after I freed them. I got Galica-Lodomeria out of Austria through a crisis. Would Congress Poland merge with Galicia-Lodomeria into a big Poland?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Chief Savage Man posted:

Playing NNM with the beta patch. I've been tearing apart the Austrians and Russians (as Germany) and releasing new countries. The more consolidated the better, since its less sphere stuff to manage. Bohemia-Moravia merged with Slovakia after I freed them. I got Galica-Lodomeria out of Austria through a crisis. Would Congress Poland merge with Galicia-Lodomeria into a big Poland?

Are you asking if it should? Sure, but with East Galicia it'll have a lot of troublesome Ukrainians (and Ashkenazim) that aren't going to be thrilled about transference from Austria to Poland.

EDIT: Also, Galician oil will make Poland p. rich in the late game.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I'm asking that if I went ahead right now and released Congress Poland from Russia, would it merge with Galicia to make regular Poland like Bohemia and Slovakia did to make Czechoslovakia.

Also China just westernized :stare:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

There's a decision for primary-culture Polish nations to unite, but to do so requires the cultural union Poland to exist, not just Congress Poland. However, Congress Poland will naturally form Poland as long as they're not a subject nation and they have 45 prestige, so after enough time passes Poland could form and Galicia would unite with them (provided Galicia is also not a subject nation). The problem with that plan is that Poland will have cores on your territory, which they won't be happy about (they'll never ally with you).

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

run DNC posted:

Nobody complains because its so extremely tiresome to have that guy show up and do his ridiculous multi page defense of his co-workers lovely design choice.

Hi!

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Heh.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

run DNC posted:

People complain less because Paradox games have actually gotten progressively much better over time and there is generally a lot less to complain about these days. I feel like this thread is still pretty open and frank about any serious issues.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Only if nintendo would do this for all of their games.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

People complain less because Paradox games have actually gotten progressively much better over time and there is generally a lot less to complain about these days. I feel like this thread is still pretty open and frank about any serious issues.

Yeah I mean, V2 was a pariah game here until HoD and HOI3 basically still is. This is a thread for people that like to play Paradox games, so I'm not sure why you'd expect it to be non-stop complaining about how the bad the games are.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Wiz posted:

Nobody likes the old fixed number relation system tbh, it's just a remnant because V2 is an older game. CK2-style opinions is a much better and more dynamic system.

And yet people will still inexplicably vote for some odd ball instead of your designated successor despite your +100 relations :(

CKII needs a loyalist trait that (a) the AI won't join factions, and (b) will always vote for your choosen successor and (c) never revolts and always informs you if they discover a plot.

Matched by a vassal with rebellious as a trait; I don't feel Ambitious/Content really accurately reflects this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

No mention of audio, I notice! :colbert:

• Locked thread