Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

TerminusEst13 posted:

Poor Powerslave.
Some people talk about Blood as the epitome of the Build engine, but Powerslave has always had a neat little niche in my heart. Inventive enemies, incredible weapons, Metroid Prime-ish gameplay before Metroid Prime was even a glint in Nintendo's eye, and a crappy PC port.

The PC port of it was barely related, other than visually. The Saturn version was probably the best of the lot, and yeah, felt a lot like an early take on the Metroid Prime concept. The PS1 version felt like a watered down version of the Saturn iteration, and the PC version was a pretty janky Build engine effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

TerminusEst13 posted:

Inventive enemies, incredible weapons, Metroid Prime-ish gameplay before Metroid Prime was even a glint in Nintendo's eye, and a crappy PC port.

Dominic White posted:

The Saturn version was probably the best of the lot, and yeah, felt a lot like an early take on the Metroid Prime concept.

:aaa: I need a Saturn and this game right loving now.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

:aaa: I need a Saturn and this game right loving now.

Last I checked, it runs perfectly on SSF, so no Saturn required.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Anybody ever play that Wheel of Time fps made on the Unreal engine?

Played roughly 20 minutes, it's surprisingly decent so far. Magical powers take the place of guns, though I would have liked to have arms or something as view models. Enemies can be just a tad too accurate but it encourages running, jumping, and strafing. It's also rather nice looking, considering the age.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Played roughly 20 minutes, it's surprisingly decent so far. Magical powers take the place of guns, though I would have liked to have arms or something as view models. Enemies can be just a tad too accurate but it encourages running, jumping, and strafing. It's also rather nice looking, considering the age.

DIE, AES SEDAI WITCH!

(yes I have)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

No, but I remember seeing a preview of the game in an extra-long "Quake 2" issue of PC Gamer back in 1997, when an article on "Omikron: Nomad Soul" said that the install was over a gigabyte. Does that count?

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

No, but I remember seeing a preview of the game in an extra-long "Quake 2" issue of PC Gamer back in 1997, when an article on "Omikron: Nomad Soul" said that the install was over a gigabyte. Does that count?

I remember reading the PC Gamer review of it, seemed to be more of a puzzle/adventure game than a straight up shootfest. It also had some really scary levels, I think.

Coming to think of it, I tried installing it but it wouldn't run on Windows XP (if not it, some other Unreal Engine game)

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I don't know if the brief FPS sections in Omikron are enough to qualify it for this thread, but that game blew my mind as a kid. I expect it wouldn't live up to my expectations if I played it now, though.

e: Oh man it's on GoG. Time to find out, I guess!

Geight fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 19, 2013

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hey, Kins, I guess I should probably let you know that the GZDoom SVN link in the OP now leads to a dead page.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Hey, Kins, I guess I should probably let you know that the GZDoom SVN link in the OP now leads to a dead page.
DRDTeam's currently changing hosting for financial reasons. It'll be back soon-ish.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Now that Al Cu Ad Solte mentions it, I'd love to play Wheel of time. Never got to play it back in the days and I've watched some gameplay videos and I like it. It came out at the same time as Vampire The Masquerade: Redemption and I chose to buy that one instead of Wheel of Time, then completely forgot about it until two years ago.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Holy poo poo, was that the one with the white cover in the UK? I had just started getting the magazine then and I devoured issues, despite having a terrible family pc.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Dominic White posted:

Last I checked, it runs perfectly on SSF, so no Saturn required.

SSF also doesn't require BIOS files, so you can legally emulate Powerslave if you grab a legit copy of it and throw it into your CD drive. I really want to finish Powerslave and do an LP on it because it's a pretty drat good game.

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

Dominic White posted:

The PC port of it was barely related, other than visually. The Saturn version was probably the best of the lot, and yeah, felt a lot like an early take on the Metroid Prime concept. The PS1 version felt like a watered down version of the Saturn iteration, and the PC version was a pretty janky Build engine effort.

I loved Exhumed on the PS1, what made the Saturn version superior? Very tempted to play it again.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

Myopic posted:

I loved Exhumed on the PS1, what made the Saturn version superior? Very tempted to play it again.

They both have their pros and cons, but from what I've played I'd say go with the Saturn version, then if you wish the playstation and maybe even the one for MS-dos

Although get ready for supremely wonky controls on the dos one, since it was a really early version of BUILD (version 3.0 I believe) it doesn't really support many important features like Constant mouselook, smooth mouse scrolling (you REALLY have to bump up the mouse speed), and the strafe keys are especially useless since they make you go infuriatingly slow compared to moving forward and backward

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Myopic posted:

Powerslave was originally designed explicitly for the Sega Saturn, with the engine ("Slavedriver") designed to harness the Saturn system design. The PS1 version lacks bomb boosting (which worked like rocket jumping), and several powerups, in addition the PS1 version has major changes made to the Amun Mines, Heket Marsh, Set Palace, Cavern of Peril, and Kilmaat Colony levels.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Somebody should get the Doom64EX guy interested in porting the Slavedriver engine to PC. From the sound of it, Powerslave was really great on the Saturn and I'd really like to see how much better it is... but man, I'm sorry, gently caress controller-based FPSes. They're so ridiculous to try and play. Plus, as a bonus, you could use it to run the terrible Saturn versions of Duke Nukem 3D and Quake!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Yeah it's a surprisingly rad game. I remember some sort of smoke-tentacle monster-thing being fairly impressive back in the day.

e: wait what the gently caress? Wheel of Time was developed by Legend who made Unreal II?? i thought Epic was responsible for that turd but i guess they just wanted to shop it out. man that bums me out even more

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Yodzilla posted:

e: wait what the gently caress? Wheel of Time was developed by Legend who made Unreal II?? i thought Epic was responsible for that turd but i guess they just wanted to shop it out. man that bums me out even more

Apparently Digital Extremes did a lot of work on Unreal games too.

Edit: I want to love Powerslave (DOS version) but the strafing kills me.

catlord fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 20, 2013

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009
So I was clearing out some really old bookmarks when I came across this thing

Apparently there were some dudes in japan making maps for duke all the way back in '97, which I guess isn't really odd seeing as duke 3D was a pretty big hit, but its still really weird to see stuff like this considering FPS games really aren't as popular as they are in many other places

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

NoodleBox posted:

So I was clearing out some really old bookmarks when I came across this thing

This needs to be somebody's avatar right the hell now.

Throckwoddle
Jan 3, 2012

You wanna dance?

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

I couldn't resist, anime Duke was just too great. He didn't come out look as sharp as I had hoped though.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011
Nobody fix Throckwoddle's avatar. It is beautiful. :allears:

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Just found this one on the doom section of that site

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

This site owns.

Fair warning, there are some NSFW images too.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

"An uncanny fellow" is probably the best description I have heard yet for the Archviles.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Well hey I guess this thing is close to coming out on Steam, huh.

I wonder if all the edgy 90's racism is still in it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Aaronicon posted:

Well hey I guess this thing is close to coming out on Steam, huh.

I wonder if all the edgy 90's racism is still in it.

If it's anything like the GOG.com release, then yes.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
And we have a teaser trailer for the new Shadow Warrior, as well as screenshots o-er on Facebook.

Not entirely sure what to think about it at the moment.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's certainly colorful; which already puts it above all the "brown and gray are the only colors in the visible spectrum" shooters out there.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
This is a better screen IMO.

I really like the design on this, especially after seeing it in the trailer. loving creepy.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Hexadecimal? Is that you? :stare:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
^ Haha, it does look kinda like her.

Well, this is certainly not what I expected. But... I'm actually pretty cool with this. As was said, I'll take color over brown.

So far it reminds me of FarCry 3 Blood Dragon, which... is a good thing.

So I just played through Winter's Fury and I really enjoyed it. Any other self-contained campaign wads out there with a similar polished feel? I really like the combination of levels that fit together (and feel different from base doom), new weapons (even if just reskins), new enemies (even if just reskins), and a basic story. And wow, some of those levels were great, reminds me of a sort of Dark Forces meets Halo.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/shadow-warrior-reboot-keeps-setting-and-katana-ditches-sexism-racism-and-mp

I'm not surprised by this, but I'm also not entirely sure how I feel about it either. I'm concerned that this will just be Hard Reset (gameplay wise) with a ninja reskin.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Supernatural Yakuza buster? I'm there.

That talk of blending melee, powers and guns makes me think of Undying.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

misterdoo01 posted:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/shadow-warrior-reboot-keeps-setting-and-katana-ditches-sexism-racism-and-mp

I'm not surprised by this, but I'm also not entirely sure how I feel about it either. I'm concerned that this will just be Hard Reset (gameplay wise) with a ninja reskin.

Heh, people complaining that its "ripped out the heart and soul of the game." Yeah okay, lets be frank here, It was never that funny anyway.

Still, i hope this Shadow Warrior does retain some sense of humour and self mocking, at least Lo Wang is meant to still be a smartass, just not a duke nukem smartass.

Traveller posted:

That talk of blending melee, powers and guns makes me think of Undying.

And thats what makes me interested in it. Sounds like it might be going for a bioshock infinite angle. More of that (refined further) please. :haw:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
The Unreal Deal is 75% off this week.

If you somehow don't have Unreal 1, Unreal Tournament 99 or UT2k4 or just want fresh copies of them, grab it. $10 USD alone is a steal for Unreal 1 and UT99.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

misterdoo01 posted:

Hard Reset was trying to be old-school and ended being boring. You move really slow and have only two weapons (each one with 5 modifications) but you end using only the energy one with 1-2 mods. I'm not giving Flying Wild Hog money until I can play a demo because Hard Reset had some cool stuff but was filled with long corridors, annoying bullet spongy charing enemies that exploded with little room to move and not enough speed to avoid them easier.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

closeted republican posted:

The Unreal Deal is 75% off this week.

If you somehow don't have Unreal 1, Unreal Tournament 99 or UT2k4 or just want fresh copies of them, grab it. $10 USD alone is a steal for Unreal 1 and UT99.

$10 is worth it for UT99 alone. Get this if you don't have it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reinardus vulpes
Nov 5, 2010

de cele amor Dieus me gart

Buff Skeleton posted:

$10 is worth it for UT99 alone. Get this if you don't have it!

Quick question - I was an idiot when UT99 was a hit, missed it entirely and ultimately got on board with UT2004. Is the original worth checking out now for a new player, i.e., is there still an active-ish community playing the base game?