Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

tviolet posted:

Does someone here understand Reichstag if so please explain (possibly crosspost to every thread)

Yes, he often takes photographs of food in unconventional locations, since after all this is a thread for photographs of food in general, not just Bon Appetit magazine covers.

Did you have any further questions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tviolet
May 20, 2004

How is this different from a very new photographer taking pictures with bad lighting and cropping?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Reichstag posted:

Breakfast.

My kid could take these pictures. Terrible

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

tviolet posted:

How is this different from a very new photographer taking pictures with bad lighting and cropping?

Because actual care was taken to achieve the desired effect, which is pretty obvious in most of them.

It's fine if you don't personally appreciate his photographs. Myself, I find them quite good overall. However, "I don't understand a dude's work therefore it's poo poo" is ignorant as hell and not really contributing anything.

Also,

quote:

(possibly crosspost to every thread)

If you have a beef with him or something you should probably take it up via PM.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 18, 2013

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

tviolet posted:

because reichstag's photos aren't mistakes

tviolet
May 20, 2004

atomicthumbs posted:

because reichstag's photos aren't mistakes

That's interesting, seriously.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

SoundMonkey posted:

If you have a beef with him or something you should probably take it up via PM.

I'm not about to give lowtax more money to get PM's asking me to explain myself.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

dukeku posted:

My kid could take these pictures. Terrible

Congrats on being a dad.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
When I first started posting here I didn't like Reichstag. I never posted anything about him, though -- just kept looking at his stuff. Now, I like Reichstag and his stuff. Dorkroom magic, I guess.

This is pizza. It's on a cutting board because that's where I put it so I could cut it.

SPGL6895 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Your crust is way thick and heavy looking. :-/

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Reichstag posted:

Your crust is way thick and heavy looking. :-/

It was a bit thick. We liked it a lot, though -- it's the pain a l'ancienne dough so it was actually pretty airy / creamy rather than heavy. It does look heavy in the picture though.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

dakana posted:

It was a bit thick. We liked it a lot, though -- it's the pain a l'ancienne dough so it was actually pretty airy / creamy rather than heavy. It does look heavy in the picture though.

Nice! I've never made my own pizza dough before, really need to try it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

_5170054.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

I'd eat the hell out of that pizza, but I like a good thick crust.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I hate the majority of the low-fi food photos in this thread except the latest ones from Reichstag and maybe a couple other people. But I dunno, what do I know?

Also if you're going to thick crust it totally needs to be dipped in grease and double baked.

For all commercial food photography all looking the same a surprising number of people can't do it at all.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Well you probably know what you like and don't like when it comes to photography, and that's pretty cool :unsmith:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I'll be the first to admit that some of the stuff in here isn't for everyone, but that's why I like Dorkroom, we can not like things and generally be pretty civil about it (slapnuts up there notwithstanding).

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Glamour food photography is anonymous when it is done well, it's a commercial trade, not an art.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I think the line blurs at a certain level. As with any genre, people are chosen for certain cookbooks/ad campaigns/etc because of their artistic vision. Not to mention, you know, the whole pop/commercial art discussion in general.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
I don't understand why arranging and photographing food in [what most people would consider] an aesthetically pleasing and appetizing manner can't be an art.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I get that Reichstag is trying to subvert the idea that visual art needs to be aesthetically pleasing to be compelling, but I wouldn't record myself slamming my forehead on a keyboard and call it music just because it wasn't a "mistake". No offense intended.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

William T. Hornaday posted:

I don't understand why arranging and photographing food in [what most people would consider] an aesthetically pleasing and appetizing manner can't be an art.

I think it can, I'm not sure who stated otherwise. The recently posted pizza being a perfect example, I think it looks great, it's surely worthy of gracing the pages of a publication whose readers like that sort of thing, there's just also a place for less conventional approaches.

Also could we please sort of not have the derail (again) about the relative merits of someone's particular aesthetic and just go with the usually-working policy of "if you don't like it, don't comment on it, or politely (not fake politely) ask what the person was going for when they took that shot"? I like this thread and I like food photography in both the sorta classical sense and also weird poo poo, so I'd prefer not to have to burn it down.

dakana posted:

When I first started posting here I didn't like Reichstag. I never posted anything about him, though -- just kept looking at his stuff. Now, I like Reichstag and his stuff. Dorkroom magic, I guess.

The exact same was true of me, I remember specifically disliking his food stuff for a while, but it's grown on me a lot, and I think a few other people as well. For those who don't like that style - give it a shot. Even if you're not pleased with the results, it's pretty fun.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Subyng posted:

I get that Reichstag is trying to subvert the idea that visual art needs to be aesthetically pleasing to be compelling, but I wouldn't record myself slamming my forehead on a keyboard and call it music just because it wasn't a "mistake". No offense intended.

gently caress you and your ideas about what is aesthetically pleasing.

e:

tviolet posted:

Please, enlighten me as to my bad lighting and cropping.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

SoundMonkey posted:

I think it can, I'm not sure who stated otherwise.

I dunno, that's what I interpreted "glamour food photography ... it's a commercial trade, not an art" to mean.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
I'm posting photos instead of arguing about the same ol stupid "ART" poo poo.

lovely photos of lovely food.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Whitezombi posted:

I'm posting photos instead of arguing about the same ol stupid "ART" poo poo.

lovely photos of lovely food.

Man I would eat funnel cake all day erry day if it wasn't for that whole heart disease thing.

Reichstag posted:

Nice! I've never made my own pizza dough before, really need to try it.

You should, it's super easy to do a basic pizza dough:

X grams of flour
.65X - .7X grams of water
yeast
salt

Mix, knead, rise, roll, rest, top, bake.

Bake at the hottest temp your oven can support.

gently caress I love making pizza at home.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Diggin' the shadow on the right.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

I think this photo is very interesting. I was going to post and ask what it was but when I clicked through to his flickr it had the explanation. I'm having a hard time believing that the dislike for his stuff in this thread is genuine.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

mediaphage posted:

Man I would eat funnel cake all day erry day if it wasn't for that whole heart disease thing.

You should, it's super easy to do a basic pizza dough:

X grams of flour
.65X - .7X grams of water
yeast
salt

So -.05X grams of water?

I originally wanted to learn more about photography so I could take pictures of food I cooked. Now I don't cook enough good things to take pictures of the food, but I'm neck deep in photography.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Like the picture, but man that looks awful.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Toasted challah with strawberry jam and Gorgonzola. Stinky cheese is love. <3

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Reichstag posted:

Toasted challah with strawberry jam and Gorgonzola. Stinky cheese is love. <3

Downright shameful if that isnt at the very least, homemade freezer jam. :colbert:

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008
Why is the discussion of art and such discouraged in this thread? Why is no one attempting to subvert the general aesthetic in the weddings or concert thread? As a fledgling commercial food photographer I'd like to have a thread in which my skills can be honed instead of mocked for not attempting high brow art. It seems everyone with similar interest is discouraged by Reichstag and others who bully-curate this thread into their own version of food photography because they got upset when the masses took to Instagram and overshadowed their filtered high brow with filtered food.

I don't mean to be disrespectful to Reichstag, his photos have just as much weight as any, but I've seen a lot of talented food photographers give up posting because their photos were met with scorn. There is nothing wrong with wanting to take a photograph that could grace the cover of Bon Appétit. I was under the impression that fostering artistic skill what this sub forum was about.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

mdtyson posted:

Why is the discussion of art and such discouraged in this thread? Why is no one attempting to subvert the general aesthetic in the weddings or concert thread? As a fledgling commercial food photographer I'd like to have a thread in which my skills can be honed instead of mocked for not attempting high brow art. It seems everyone with similar interest is discouraged by Reichstag and others who bully-curate this thread into their own version of food photography because they got upset when the masses took to Instagram and overshadowed their filtered high brow with filtered food.

I don't mean to be disrespectful to Reichstag, his photos have just as much weight as any, but I've seen a lot of talented food photographers give up posting because their photos were met with scorn. There is nothing wrong with wanting to take a photograph that could grace the cover of Bon Appétit. I was under the impression that fostering artistic skill what this sub forum was about.

Various people complain about any style of photography. One particular style just happens to be a bit more prevalent recently. Also "bully-curate" is my new favourite word and god I wish I could namechange people.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

mdtyson posted:

Please direct us to a post in which scorn was heaped upon the more conventional food photographs in this thread, or to an example of this "bully-curation." All I see is more people than before taking unconventional food photos and posting them in here. I also see more discussion of art than before, not less.

Wedding photography - or really any photography done for the benefit of a client - isn't exactly an easy place to do something different, unless your client specifically wants it (not likely).

edit: the only "scorn" I can find in this thread is for Reichstag's photos. Are you saying that people posting in support of Reichstag's photos in this thread are trying to make you feel bad for not getting it or something?

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 22, 2013

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

mdtyson posted:

Post in PAD then. Its where people intentionally ask for crits and where people like me who will mock your "art" are usually probated.

It would help if there wasnt some closed minded thinking about art as it is. Just because someone doesnt get it, doesnt mean its not art. Subjective opinions and all. The discussion rarely stays civil and usually goes more to MY KID CAN DO BETTER direction than about actual conversations as to how the author arrived at their end result. It also doesnt help that people may not have thick skin when it comes to getting crits. There has been some talent ITT that was ruined by not having attention to minor details. They get all caremad about having it pointed out and then ragequit.

As for being caremad at the explosion of foodtography, I personally aint. Most of the foodtography I see is more of a humblebrag than about art.

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

Various people complain about any style of photography. One particular style just happens to be a bit more prevalent recently. Also "bully-curate" is my new favourite word and god I wish I could namechange people.

Fair enough and I'm flattered.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Please direct us to a post in which scorn was heaped upon the more conventional food photographs in this thread, or to an example of this "bully-curation." All I see is more people than before taking unconventional food photos and posting them in here. I also see more discussion of art than before, not less.

Wedding photography - or really any photography done for the benefit of a client - isn't exactly an easy place to do something different, unless your client specifically wants it (not likely).

edit: the only "scorn" I can find in this thread is for Reichstag's photos. Are you saying that people posting in support of Reichstag's photos in this thread are trying to make you feel bad for not getting it or something?

I'm not writing a thesis on bully-curation (though maybe I should...) and I'm not upset by the uptick in unconventional photos, in fact, as someone whose clients are chefs and restauranteurs, I like seeing poo poo I haven't thought of.

I'm not talking about "getting" his photos. I'm talking about this forum being a place to work on your skills through critique. Sometimes those skills are artistic, sometimes they're simple ways of making an image look better.

Musket posted:

Post in PAD then. Its where people intentionally ask for crits and where people like me who will mock your "art" are usually probated.

It would help if there wasnt some closed minded thinking about art as it is. Just because someone doesnt get it, doesnt mean its not art. Subjective opinions and all. The discussion rarely stays civil and usually goes more to MY KID CAN DO BETTER direction than about actual conversations as to how the author arrived at their end result. It also doesnt help that people may not have thick skin when it comes to getting crits. There has been some talent ITT that was ruined by not having attention to minor details. They get all caremad about having it pointed out and then ragequit.

As for being caremad at the explosion of foodtography, I personally aint. Most of the foodtography I see is more of a humblebrag than about art.

I want to encourage discussion of "art" as well as talk "shop" with others in the same field. I see this in other threads, perhaps there just aren't that many professional food photographers floating around.

Edit:

I guess, to sum it up, there seems to be a disagreement on whether this thread is a classroom or a gallery.

mdtyson fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 22, 2013

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

mdtyson posted:

I guess, to sum it up, there seems to be a disagreement on whether this thread is a classroom or a gallery.

Why can't it be both?

In fact... let's have a :siren:Mod Challenge Lite:siren: so we can all move past this and be entertained.

Since you're an aspiring commercial food photographer (which I think is pretty cool, incidentally), this should be easy for you. Your assignment is to take at least five photographs in what you consider to be "Reichstag style" over the course of the next week, and post them here. They will be judged by Reichstag with oversight by me in case he just tells you to eat chain or something. If you do not complete this, you won't be banned or probated forever or anything, but something mildly unpleasant will probably happen. I strongly recommend you complete this challenge because I think you'll find that that style is actually really fun to shoot.

So yeah. One week. Five photos. Mod challenge.

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

Why can't it be both?

:siren:Mod Challenge Lite:siren:

Give me until the first, I've got a couple other assignments. Sounds fun!

Reichstag, I challenge you to take five "Bon Appétit worthy" photos.

:woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

mdtyson posted:

Give me until the first, I've got a couple other assignments. Sounds fun!

Reichstag, I challenge you to take five "Bon Appétit worthy" photos.

:woop:

The first is close enough.

Also while it is of course not a mod sanctioned challenge I'd love to see Reich attempt mainstream commercial food photography :v:

• Locked thread