Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I'm just hung up on Walter pulling a Keaton Multiplicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Painted by the directors brother

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Holy shitballs, the Mondo There Will Be Blood variant poster that sold today is already selling for $750+ on eBay.
:stare:
Guess I shoulda tried to get one...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That film title is chock full of incorrect english.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

GonSmithe posted:

Holy shitballs, the Mondo There Will Be Blood variant poster that sold today is already selling for $750+ on eBay.
:stare:
Guess I shoulda tried to get one...

You honestly can get some extra cash just buying Mondo's and flipping them, they ALWAYS sell more then what people pay for them.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Vintersorg posted:

You honestly can get some extra cash just buying Mondo's and flipping them, they ALWAYS sell more then what people pay for them.

Which might be solved if they didn't make everything such a limited run.

Here's the thing. I get that running those prints cost them money so they can't run a lot, but surely the amount they sell would account for that? Say they make 200 that sell out in a minute, why not make 500?

It just seems poor business sense to not provide more of what the customer wants.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DrVenkman posted:

Here's the thing. I get that running those prints cost them money so they can't run a lot, but surely the amount they sell would account for that? Say they make 200 that sell out in a minute, why not make 500?

It just seems poor business sense to not provide more of what the customer wants.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised to find that Mondo's runs of 250 are actually runs of 500, and they sell the excess on eBay.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

It's deliberate artificial scarcity, the illusion of unobtainability is responsible for Mondo's reputation. If they were widely available, people wouldn't be talking about them so much and they wouldn't be able to sell them for as much as they do (even though they're cheap next to the sell-on price) and they wouldn't be able to attract the 'best' artists.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Jedit posted:

I wouldn't be entirely surprised to find that Mondo's runs of 250 are actually runs of 500, and they sell the excess on eBay.

They do for sure do something like this. When I went to NYCC this past year, they said that they didn't have any of the Shaun of the Dead posters by Jock left. I go back the next day and they said they're all out still. Cut to a few weeks later and they're selling the "leftover" copies on their website. I got pretty infuriated.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

They do for sure do something like this. When I went to NYCC this past year, they said that they didn't have any of the Shaun of the Dead posters by Jock left. I go back the next day and they said they're all out still. Cut to a few weeks later and they're selling the "leftover" copies on their website. I got pretty infuriated.

They're two separate stock allocations. One for the live event and one for the website.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Mister Chief posted:

They're two separate stock allocations. One for the live event and one for the website.

An exclusive movie poster based conspiracy is way cooler though.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't think they ever knew what they wanted to do with the titles. That series has the most inconsistent naming scheme I've ever seen.

The Fast and the Furious
2 Fast 2 Furious
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
Fast and Furious
Fast 5
Fast and Furious 6

Just pick something!

I don't care as long as they call the next one The Furious Seven.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Noxville posted:

It's deliberate artificial scarcity, the illusion of unobtainability is responsible for Mondo's reputation. If they were widely available, people wouldn't be talking about them so much and they wouldn't be able to sell them for as much as they do (even though they're cheap next to the sell-on price) and they wouldn't be able to attract the 'best' artists.

I'll be honest, I prefer the deliberate artificial scarcity to actual scarcity. At least then they might reprint it at some point. Older obscure movies and games which the publishers don't want to reprint, like Xenoblade Chronicles are impossible to find due to their scarcity.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...

qntm posted:

I don't care as long as they call the next one The Furious Seven.

Marketing has been calling the latest one Fast & Furious 6, but I've heard the title card in the film itself just says "Furious 6".

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Tripwyre posted:

Marketing has been calling the latest one Fast & Furious 6, but I've heard the title card in the film itself just says "Furious 6".

Unless the US version is different to the UK version this isn't true.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

The perfect typeface for that awful line.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

AHAHAHAHA what.

How did anyone think that resembles Joaquin Phoenix??

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What's Russell supposed to be holding there?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
His dumb spiky helmet, or rather its absence.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Does he ever actually do anything like that in the movie? It's not Masters Of The Universe. Also, LMAO at Djimon Hounsou in the corner there.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I can imagine him dramatically putting that thing on or off. I've not watched it for a long while though.

e:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Also, LMAO at Djimon Hounsou in the corner there.

lol

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What's Russell supposed to be holding there?

A decapitated duck.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm surprised nobody has pointed out how terrible that Skyfall poster is. Its one of those things that doesn't make sense unless you've already seen it and being a terrible drawing means that the great cinematography of that scene is completely lost.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

muscles like this? posted:

I'm surprised nobody has pointed out how terrible that Skyfall poster is. Its one of those things that doesn't make sense unless you've already seen it and being a terrible drawing means that the great cinematography of that scene is completely lost.

It's not even a drawing, it's a photo with "make it look vaguely like a drawing" filters.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
The Skyfall one looks alright in timg form, but when you get close the house just looks like poo poo.

The Time Dissolver posted:

The perfect typeface for that awful line.

Haha, I love that line. Mostly because of how Ben Mendelsohn says it.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Also, most of the poster's just empty space, which quantifies its terribleness. This shot worked well in the movie, but not as a poster.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Tripwyre posted:

Slasherfan posted:

Unless the US version is different to the UK version this isn't true.

It WAS originally called Furious 6, you can see it on a leaked UK trailer, but they changed it for some stupid reason.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Haven't seen Skyfall so I don't know the significance of that house is, but all it made me think of is:

As formulaic as Bond posters are, they are also hard to gently caress up.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

It WAS originally called Furious 6, you can see it on a leaked UK trailer, but they changed it for some stupid reason.

This makes me so goddamn sad. Fast Five needs to be followed up by Furious Six, it just makes sense! :argh:

Anyway, here are some more posters, this time from Pinterest:

:catdrugs:

:ocelot::downs:

This one might just be art rather than a poster, but I kinda like it.

Has there ever been a good Jurassic Park fan poster? Ever? When the original is so good the bar is set pretty high.

No...No.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Iron Man has reached full derp in that poster.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

these are awesome.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

bowser posted:

No...No.

Dunno about you, but Joe Pescie is just so HAPPY in that Goodfella poster.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

bowser posted:

I don't remember when Megatron and the Demoman showed up in Avengers.

quote:

No...No.

This is the best kind of awful.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

This is amazing. Kind of looks like something from inside a Wes Anderson movie.

ShufflerZero
Mar 21, 2009

Darthemed posted:

Raided my local video store a few days ago, and came across this:

Checking it online shows that it had a handful of alternate titles, including Slaughter in San Francisco, which had some interesting posters.
The first one completely misrepresents it.

The second one is truer to the film. Kind of. Except that it shows Chuck Norris as the Karate Cop, replacing the actual actor.

The Canadian(?) title, Yellow Faced Tiger, has the most faithful depiction.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

bowser posted:

No...No.

:laffo: Please tell me where this comes from so I can buy this. I'm not even joking, I need it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

bowser posted:

The only thing I don't like about this is the inclusion of Thanos. He's in the post-credits for a reason, don't put him on the poster, maaaaaaaan.

quote:

No...No.
Reminds me of

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Suzuki Method posted:

:laffo: Please tell me where this comes from so I can buy this. I'm not even joking, I need it.

Here. To be fair, it isn't intended to be a poster. Still funny, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sockser posted:

The only thing I don't like about this is the inclusion of Thanos. He's in the post-credits for a reason, don't put him on the poster, maaaaaaaan.

Also, they could've modelled hawkeye on movies hawkeye slightly. Even just give him brown hair.