Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

quote:

code:
PROCEDURE Import_Relationship_Type (P_Cohab_Type_Name   IN     Subj_Cohab_Type.Cohab_Type_Name%TYPE,
                                        P_Actor             IN     Subj_Cohab_Type.Created_By%TYPE,
                                        P_Cohab_Type_Id        OUT Subj_Cohab_Type.Cohab_Type_Id%TYPE) IS
BEGIN
        MyPackage.Import_Relationship_Type (P_Cohab_Type_Name,
                                         'N',
                                         P_Actor,
                                         P_Cohab_Type_Id);
    END Import_relationship_type;
; IS
:doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This is another kind of an academic question, since I've already done it but I was wondering if there's a better/different way. I basically need to choose a random record id from a pool of non-incremental ids. This means that I can't just go random range, since each ID has to be valid. What I ended up doing was getting a count of all possible ids, generate a random within that range, and then select the ROW_NUMBER within the counted range, like so (if this looks familiar I've jammed together two very popular yet separate tutorials on random numbers and ROW_NUMBER):
code:
DECLARE @Random int
DECLARE @Upper int
DECLARE @Lower int

SELECT @Upper = COUNT(TableID) FROM Table1 WHERE Criteria=@blah
SELECT @Lower = 1
SELECT @Random = ROUND(((@Upper - @Lower -1) * RAND() + @Lower), 0)

SELECT * FROM
 (SELECT row_number() OVER (ORDER BY Rand() DESC) AS RecNum,
 * FROM Table WHERE Criteria=@blah) T WHERE T.RecNum = @Random
Is there a better way? I'm introducing a bit of overhead this way but it was the first thing I could think of.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Scaramouche posted:

This is another kind of an academic question, since I've already done it but I was wondering if there's a better/different way. I basically need to choose a random record id from a pool of non-incremental ids. This means that I can't just go random range, since each ID has to be valid. What I ended up doing was getting a count of all possible ids, generate a random within that range, and then select the ROW_NUMBER within the counted range, like so (if this looks familiar I've jammed together two very popular yet separate tutorials on random numbers and ROW_NUMBER):
code:
DECLARE @Random int
DECLARE @Upper int
DECLARE @Lower int

SELECT @Lower = 1

SELECT * FROM
Is there a better way? I'm introducing a bit of overhead this way but it was the first thing I could think of.

Generate that list of available ids, and select the top 1 ordered by newid()?

Molotov Cock Tale
Jun 30, 2010

Nth Doctor posted:

Generate that list of available ids, and select the top 1 ordered by newid()?

Scaramouche posted:

code:

DECLARE @Random int
DECLARE @Upper int
DECLARE @Lower int

SELECT @Lower = 1

SELECT * FROM

As per Nth Doctor, compact it all down to:

SELECT TOP 1 * FROM Table WHERE Criteria = @blah ORDER BY NEWID()

That is a kind of unexpected nice trick of GUID generation. It's not that good for performance in huge tables though.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.

Malcolm XML posted:

I'm assuming that 33N30 means 33 degrees 30 minutes North so just look up the formula for DMS to decimal (which I think is D + M/60 + S/3600 but don't rely on that) and then use the sign depending on direction (+ for N/E and - for S/W)

DMS is degrees minutes seconds. I see two out the the three max in 33N30

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Finer resolution is optional. Taking an example from the site

code:
5020 Solomon Islands BC (BBC relay) 09S24 160E03
Converts to -9.4, 160.05 which pinpoints an exact location just north of the main island of the Solomons.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm starting to learn a bit of (relational) database design for a project but I'm having problems getting my head wrapped around getting hierarchical info inside a SQL database.

How would I be able to store at least a couple thousands animals maintaining their taxonomical info (class > order > family > genus > species)?

A Lion would be:
Mammalia > Carnivora > Felidae > Panthera > Panthera leo (Lion).

I want to be able to click on Felidae and get everything under it including cats, tigers, etc.

I was checking out adjacency lists but I'm not sure it would be a good idea to put everything into one table, but maybe I'm wrong?

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

gmq posted:

I'm starting to learn a bit of (relational) database design for a project but I'm having problems getting my head wrapped around getting hierarchical info inside a SQL database.
:words:
I was checking out adjacency lists but I'm not sure it would be a good idea to put everything into one table, but maybe I'm wrong?

Adjacency lists suck are terrible for fast reads due to needing horrible recursive CTE's or cursor mangling to work with. Use nested sets instead: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nested_set_model

They cost a bit to update because you wind up touching a lot of rows but access time is stupid fast because you're performing a range search on an index. Everything in one nested set table suits the usage you described, we're using one at work for something similar except it has dynamic depth so we're also using a dynamically generated unpivot in a stored proc to turn it into a table with one column per level :psyduck:.

e: vvvv This is true but you'd wind up putting all the hierarchy management code in the application, and I personally dislike big keys because they lead to a fair bit of duplication if you wind up trying to foreign key to them.

e2: In defense of adjacency lists, they don't need you to update on average 50% of the table when you manipulate a record.

Night Shade fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 16, 2013

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Class / Order / Family and company are amazing natural keys. Unless you can think of any reason you'd want to put them outside of the table with a surrogate key then there's no harm whatsoever in just lumping the entire taxonomic name in the single table and dealing with the hierarchy in the application code.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
I'd probably do it something like:

code:
Animals
-------
AnimalID int pk
SpeciesID int fk Species.SpeciesID
Name varchar(100)

Species
-------
SpeciesID int
GenusID int fk Genuses.GenusID
Name varchar(100)

Orders
------
OrderID int pk
ClassID int fk Classes.ClassID
Name varchar(100)

Classes
-------
ClassID int pk
Name varchar(100)
And so on up the chain. This is sometimes called a has-many relationship, "class has many orders, order has many families", and so on.

e: beaten

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Scaramouche posted:

code:
DECLARE @Random int
DECLARE @Upper int
DECLARE @Lower int

SELECT @Lower = 1

SELECT * FROM

I would expect a true min/max for lower/upper to be faster (generate the random ID in the same way) if coupled with SELECT * FROM T WHERE id>=random ORDER BY id LIMIT 1 ?

Molotov Cock Tale
Jun 30, 2010

gmq posted:

How would I be able to store at least a couple thousands animals maintaining their taxonomical info (class > order > family > genus > species)?

A Lion would be:
Mammalia > Carnivora > Felidae > Panthera > Panthera leo (Lion).

I want to be able to click on Felidae and get everything under it including cats, tigers, etc.

You say SQL but not which RDBMS, if you're on SQL Server 2008/2012 one thing to take a look at might be the new HierarchyId data type: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/manisblog/archive/2007/08/17/sql-server-2008-hierarchyid.aspx

The set of many to one tables is the traditional way, HierarchyIds would offer the ability to do hierarchy traversal functions in TSQL.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Molotov Cock Tale posted:

You say SQL but not which RDBMS, if you're on SQL Server 2008/2012 one thing to take a look at might be the new HierarchyId data type: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/manisblog/archive/2007/08/17/sql-server-2008-hierarchyid.aspx

The set of many to one tables is the traditional way, HierarchyIds would offer the ability to do hierarchy traversal functions in TSQL.
Oh wow, that's neat. Going to have to introduce that at work.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have a simple select routine that works great on my local machine with MySQL Workbench. However, the same procedure on phpMyAdmin returns only the first result when I'm expecting 9. Running the same select query directly does exactly what I want, and the routine when called in Workbench returns the same values. What weird poo poo is phpMyAdmin doing? It's for a homework assignment so I have to use phpMyAdmin.

e: Oh wow, of course after I post the question on SA, the answer shows up a few google searches later after it's been racking my brain for 20 minutes. If anyone else has this issue, just call the procedure manually in the SQL pane and it will work.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 17, 2013

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

i barely GNU her! posted:

I'd probably do it something like:

code:

Orders
------
OrderID int pk
ClassID int fk Classes.ClassID
Name varchar(100)

Classes
-------
ClassID int pk
Name varchar(100)
And so on up the chain. This is sometimes called a has-many relationship, "class has many orders, order has many families", and so on.

e: beaten

This was actually my first thought but I'm not sure how well it would perform considering that there's probably a reason why nested sets and adjacency lists are a thing. :v:

Molotov Cock Tale posted:

Linux server so I can't use SQL server. However, postgreSQL seems to have a similar thing with ltree, does anyone here have experience with that?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Are you trying to optimize that solution before checking to see whether it actually needs to be optimized?

Don't you think that's a bit ... premature?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Jabor posted:

Are you trying to optimize that solution before checking to see whether it actually needs to be optimized?

Don't you think that's a bit ... premature?

True. I guess I just wanted to know if there was a 'right' way to do it.

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008

gmq posted:

This was actually my first thought but I'm not sure how well it would perform considering that there's probably a reason why nested sets and adjacency lists are a thing. :v:
Those let you represent hierarchies and graphs with unbounded depth, heterogeneous nodes, cycles, etc. Schemas which are notoriously non-performant in all modern databases. You shouldn't want to be using nested sets or adjacency lists and fortunately you don't have to!

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Sedro posted:

Those let you represent hierarchies and graphs with unbounded depth, heterogeneous nodes, cycles, etc. Schemas which are notoriously non-performant in all modern databases. You shouldn't want to be using nested sets or adjacency lists and fortunately you don't have to!

How would you represent a tree structure with a db then if you do want to be performant? Off-load the complexity to whatever language connects to the db, using specific db extensions, or what?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

KARMA! posted:

How would you represent a tree structure with a db then if you do want to be performant? Off-load the complexity to whatever language connects to the db, using specific db extensions, or what?

If your database supports recursive queries, you'd just have a table of relationships (an adjacency list) and run recursive queries on that. If you don't, it depends on your use case - for a lot of cases (e.g. checking for friend-of-a-friends), just faking the recursion yourself out to a small depth (say, 4) could be entirely sufficient and still performant enough. Or if your data forms a tree and needs to be queried often but not updated very much you might use nested sets.

In general though, if you find yourself running into these problems it's often a sign that you need to re-think your data model. Or perhaps your storage implementation - if your data fits better as a graph than as a set of relations, why not use a graph database instead of a relational one?

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
I need a bit of help on understanding how indexing happens when doing a join across tables. Suppose I have the following query:
SQL code:
SELECT * 
FROM   table1 
       INNER JOIN table2 
               ON table1.t2 = table2.id 
WHERE  table1.myField = 'butts' 
       AND table2.myField = 'buttes' 
Supposing that there is an index on both myFields, how does the query engine actually deal with this? My understanding is that when you do a SELECT on a single table, the query engine will take the WHERE clause and pick a single index on that table that leftmost contains the columns that are separated by ANDs. In a join however, the WHERE clause contains columns from multiple different tables, and no single index exists for this. I'm just curious what actually happens here, and whether it restricts on each table in the WHERE clause before it joins them together. That would seem like the most optimal solution since it doesn't make much sense creating a temporary table with potentially 10,000 rows when it only needs to be 100.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X fucked around with this message at 12:16 on May 21, 2013

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

I need a bit of help on understanding how indexing happens when doing a join across tables. Suppose I have the following query:
SQL code:
SELECT * 
FROM   table1 
       INNER JOIN table2 
               ON table1.t2 = table2.id 
WHERE  table1.myField = 'butts' 
       AND table2.myField = 'buttes' 
Supposing that there is an index on both myFields, how does the query engine actually deal with this? My understanding is that when you do a SELECT on a single table, the query engine will take the WHERE clause and pick a single index on that table that leftmost contains the columns that are separated by ANDs. In a join however, the WHERE clause contains columns from multiple different tables, and no single index exists for this. I'm just curious what actually happens here, and whether it restricts on each table in the WHERE clause before it joins them together. That would seem like the most optimal solution since it doesn't make much sense creating a temporary table with potentially 10,000 rows when it only needs to be 100.

Use EXPLAIN ANALYZE (postgres) or whatever the equivalent is for your DB and it should output what the query planner has constructed. From a similar query I ran it will likely pull the where clauses inside the join and filter before running if it can prove that the result is the same (which is basically true for the relational algebra but not for sql in general).

Of course there's always some stupid edge case that comes up that breaks the ability of the planner to take shortcuts.

loinburger
Jul 10, 2004
Sweet Sauce Jones
I have the following table:

1. Integer Key (primary key)
2. Varchar Name (indexed)
3. Integer Size (indexed)
4. Blob Data

Given maxSize, I want to select all Data such that Size <= maxSize; however, I also only want one Data per Name, and given two rows with identical Names I want the Data from the row with the greatest Size (such that Size <= maxSize).

For example, with maxSize = 50 and given the rows

{1, name1, 35, data1}
{2, name1, 45, data2}
{3, name1, 55, data3}

I want {data2}; for the same maxSize, given the rows

{1, name1, 35, data1}
{2, name2, 50, data2}
{3, name3, 55, data3}

I want {data1, data2}

Right now I'm just selecting all rows with Size <= maxSize and then selecting the correct Data from the resultset in application code, but it seems like there should be a way to do this in SQL that I'm missing

code:
SELECT name,
       size,
       data
FROM   table
WHERE  size <= maxsize
GROUP  BY name
ORDER  BY size DESC 

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
This is a classic application for analytical/windowing functions, assuming the DB you're using supports them. What RDBMS are you using?

For SQL Server 2005+ you'd want something like:
code:
SELECT data
FROM (
SELECT name,
       size,
       data,
       row_number() over (partition by name order by maxSize desc) rnk
FROM   table
WHERE  size <= maxSize) tbl
WHERE rnk = 1

loinburger
Jul 10, 2004
Sweet Sauce Jones
I'm using MySQL, so I'm guessing it'll be something like
code:
SELECT data
FROM (
SELECT name,
       size,
       data,
       @rank:=@rank+1 over (group by name order by maxSize desc) rnk
FROM   table
WHERE  size <= maxSize) tbl
WHERE rnk = 1

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008
I'm trying to run a MySQL report that will:

1. Get all ticket holders (Table 'sales')
2. Match ticket holders with guests by a JOIN on CWID (for the ticket holders table 'sales') and seniorCWID (for guest table 'guests')

Does this require a sub-select? Right now just running an inner join gets me the ticket holders who -have- guests, but I want the ticket holder information AND the guest information

edit: nevermind, got what I wanted using a simple join

Fluue fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 21, 2013

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
MySQL question here, god my comprehension of joins is abysmal.

Given Table A {id} and Table B {id, value} where B.id is a foreign key referencing A.id, how can I construct a query that will pull all rows from A that either have no record in B or do have a record in B but have a B.value of X?

Above Our Own fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 26, 2013

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Above Our Own posted:

MySQL question here, god my comprehension of joins is abysmal.

Given Table A {id} and Table B {id, value} where B.id is a foreign key referencing A.id, how can I construct a query that will pull all rows from A that either have no record in B or do have a record in B but have a B.value of X?

SQL code:
SELECT
   A.id
FROM
   A LEFT JOIN B ON A.id = B.id
WHERE
   B.value IS NULL OR B.value = X

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Should really be "WHERE b.id IS NULL", to account for the case where b exists and has a NULL contained in value, which doesn't want to be selected by the criteria given. (Though in practice this distinction is unlikely to matter.)

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

roomforthetuna posted:

Should really be "WHERE b.id IS NULL", to account for the case where b exists and has a NULL contained in value, which doesn't want to be selected by the criteria given. (Though in practice this distinction is unlikely to matter.)

Oh, you're right. I guess I inferred that the columns were all NOT NULL, but there's nothing in the question to support that.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I could have sworn I've done this in the past but I can't find anything in my notes, and Google is coming up with solutions that split lists into columns, not process a list into rows. I'm working on MSSQL 2008. What I basically want to do is convert a single value INSERT statement from:
code:
@PID int,
@SID int

INSERT INTO Table (@PID,@SID)
VALUES (@PID,@SID)
Into something that will accept a comma delimited list in the second parameter, but use the first parameter for every row. This is wrong, but in my mind it looked like:
code:
@PID int,
@SID nvarchar(4000) -- e.g. '1,2,3,4'

INSERT Into Table (@PID,@SID)
SELECT @PID,SplitFunction(@SID,',')
However when I do that I get the dreaded 'Subquery returned more than 1 value' error. The alternative is to built a control loop (e.g. WHILE MAX(@SID)>blah etc etc) but I could have sworn there was a more elegant way to do this?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
Not that I know anything about MERGE but I think it will work for you.

PastaSky
Dec 15, 2009
I'm new to mysql and I am trying to do something like this but I don't know how...

code:
UPDATE new_items n,
       old_items o
SET    n.new = true
WHERE  n.item_id = o.item_id
       AND Count(DISTINCT o.item_state) = 2 
Basically I have two tables, new_items and old_items. If the number of distinct item_states
for an item_id in old_items is 2, I want to set the corresponding item's new flag to true.

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008
You probably just have to re-state the query so you are not updating two tables
SQL code:
update new_items n
set n.new = true
where exists
(
    select *
    from old_items o
    where n.item_id = o.item_id
          and count(distinct o.item_state) = 2
)

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

code:
@PID int,

However when I do that I get the dreaded 'Subquery returned more than 1 value' error. The alternative is to built a control loop (e.g. WHILE MAX(@SID)>blah etc etc) but I could have sworn there was a more elegant way to do this?

What are you using for the split function? I think you'll want a table valued function and then you'd select from it. Something like...

code:
INSERT INTO Table (pid, sid)
SELECT @PID, result FROM SplitFunction(@SID, ',')
Assuming result is the name of a column in the table returned by split function.

hewerman
Jun 5, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

I could have sworn I've done this in the past but I can't find anything in my notes, and Google is coming up with solutions that split lists into columns, not process a list into rows. I'm working on MSSQL 2008. What I basically want to do is convert a single value INSERT statement from:
code:
@PID int,
@SID int

INSERT INTO Table (@PID,@SID)
VALUES (@PID,@SID)
Into something that will accept a comma delimited list in the second parameter, but use the first parameter for every row. This is wrong, but in my mind it looked like:
code:
@PID int,

Why not create a view that selects from your function, and use that in your insert? Is your function table valued or scalar?

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."
Can anyone see why this join does not return any results from the subquery?

http://privatepaste.com/146024dbb3

Edit: Could it be because I didn't select any of the columns from it? :v:

celestial teapot fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 31, 2013

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
The main SQL guy is on vacation and my background is in semiconductors, so this could be a truly :downs: question.

I wrote a query which retrieves the following character string:

code:
1, ABC;2, DEF;3, GHI
and need to convert it into a table like:

code:
Col_1	Col_2
1	ABC
2	DEF
3	GHI
And after reading the web for help, I realized that I'm utterly out of my depth when it comes to anything beyond simple retrieval. Hoping this is a simple question for experts among you... Any thoughts?

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

SQL code:
 select split_part(r, ',', 1) as left, split_part(r, ',', 2) as right
 from regexp_split_to_table('1, ABC;2, DEF;3, GHI', ';') r;

left | right
------+-------
 1    |  ABC
 2    |  DEF
 3    |  GHI
(3 rows)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Pardot posted:

SQL code:
 select split_part(r, ',', 1) as left, split_part(r, ',', 2) as right
 from regexp_split_to_table('1, ABC;2, DEF;3, GHI', ';') r;

left | right
------+-------
 1    |  ABC
 2    |  DEF
 3    |  GHI
(3 rows)

Holy hell that was fast -- really appreciate the effort. Unfortunately, I'm working in MS SQL Server Management Studio, and it doesn't seem to recognize split_part functions. Is there a way to import the functions or approximate them using vanilla SQL?