Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

WendigoJohnson posted:

Old men and women shooting each other?

You mean Grandpa Shooters! :corsair:

Well, keep in mind how many JRPGs portray anyone above 20 to be grizzled veterans, so western game protagonists probably look ancient by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

miscellaneous14 posted:

Well, keep in mind how many JRPGs portray anyone above 20 to be grizzled veterans, so western game protagonists probably look ancient by comparison.
Yeah, that's precisely it. Nathan Drake is an old man near retirement by Japanese game protagonist standards. It just doesn't appeal to most people over there, it seems.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, that's precisely it. Nathan Drake is an old man near retirement by Japanese game protagonist standards. It just doesn't appeal to most people over there, it seems.

Also our cartoon mascot characters don't have large enough eyebrows.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

That's an excellent write-up. I'd be curious to hear from people who don't own a Wii U and aren't interested in one, and why. And whether they'd ever be interested.

For me, Nintendo needs to do original, new, exciting I.P.'s. I'm tired of seeing the same games from them over and over again, with nothing new happening. Right now all of the games they have coming out or are in development, are sequels or remakes of classic SNES games. Even though Zelda: A Link to the Past is one of my favorite Nintendo games, I couldn't have been more underwhelmed if I tried at the announcement of the remastered version for the 3DS. I know Nintendo can do better then this.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rocketlex posted:

Miyamoto's said in interviews that he'd love to make a first-person Zelda game if he felt he could get away with it. He loves first-person games, but the rest of the Japanese market doesn't.

A first person Zelda game would basically be Metroid Prime, that's not really the same thing even if that series was pretty popular here.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Rocketlex posted:

Miyamoto's said in interviews that he'd love to make a first-person Zelda game if he felt he could get away with it. He loves first-person games, but the rest of the Japanese market doesn't.

Thank gently caress for that, because a first person Zelda sounds awful. Like a neutered Elder Scrolls game.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Rocketlex posted:

They should just make the Hitman games into a licensed Golgo 13 series, that might make them happy

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

miscellaneous14 posted:

I'm really not bothered by that as much. I'm more concerned with the lack of fat people in RPGS, just once I want a whole team of angry fat people rampaging through the countryside devouring everything in their path.

I think monster hunter only had the Fish Mongress, yet they give items like ham hocks, fish, and giant sporks as weaponry and no fat person body type. I just can't complete the Muderious Paula Deen look without it. :negative:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rocketlex posted:

He was also the person who convinced everyone else to turn Metroid Prime into a FPS back when it wasn't. I really want to see Miyamoto be absolved of all management responsibilities and given a team to just make his dream game. I don't even care if it would turn out good or not. I'm just curious as to what it would actually end up being.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Thank gently caress for that, because a first person Zelda sounds awful. Like a neutered Elder Scrolls game.

It'd probably have Wii Motion Plus controls, too, so basically imagine Jurassic Park: Trespasser with a sword.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

He was also the person who convinced everyone else to turn Metroid Prime into a FPS back when it wasn't. I really want to see Miyamoto be absolved of all management responsibilities and given a team to just make his dream game. I don't even care if it would turn out good or not. I'm just curious as to what it would actually end up being.

I think they did that at least once before. It's how Pikmin happened.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

WendigoJohnson posted:

I'm really not bothered by that as much. I'm more concerned with the lack of fat people in RPGS, just once I want a whole team of angry fat people rampaging through the countryside devouring everything in their path.

I think monster hunter only had the Fish Mongress, yet they give items like ham hocks, fish, and giant sporks as weaponry and no fat person body type. I just can't complete the Muderious Paula Deen look without it. :negative:
Dragon's Dogma has you totally covered in that respect.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Rocketlex posted:

So what you're saying is, Dungeons of Dreadmor (jp) will be a huge hit?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Samurai Sanders posted:

Dragon's Dogma has you totally covered in that respect.

I originally didn't pick up that game because Capcom was using that in place of Monster Hunter, but if you can make your guy look strange and weird as hell I might as well give it a shot.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Rocketlex posted:

It'd probably have Wii Motion Plus controls, too, so basically imagine Jurassic Park: Trespasser with a sword.

Since Link is by law not allowed to speak intelligibly, how would we know how many arrows are left in the quiver?

"HUUUUUP! SEIIIIIIAAAAAAAAAH! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

EDIT: VVVV "Master sir, there is a 98 percent probability that there are five arrows remaining in your quiver."

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 19, 2013

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

fivegears4reverse posted:

Since Link is by law not allowed to speak intelligibly, how would we know how many arrows are left in the quiver?

"HUUUUUP! SEIIIIIIAAAAAAAAAH! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

That's what your fairy/gremlin/robot companion is for, clearly.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WendigoJohnson posted:

I originally didn't pick up that game because Capcom was using that in place of Monster Hunter, but if you can make your guy look strange and weird as hell I might as well give it a shot.

Don't skip Dragon's Dogma! The game is amazing, and one of the most unique RPG's in a while.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I just don't get why Mario and Luigi don't speak full sentences yet. The new 3DS Luigi game has the Banjo Kazooie type conversations. They even recorded new voice quips this time around instead of re-using the same ones from 1996, why not go the extra mile and have them talk for real?

I would buy a Mario game if it had Persona-esque banter between the characters.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

WendigoJohnson posted:

It has probably the best character creation system I have ever seen. You can make almost any kind of person you want, from a tiny old black woman in full plate armor to a giant fat white boy in a dress. Saint's Row 2 and 3 are up there too, I can't decide which is better.

edit: for example, here are two ways your main character can look (from the OP of the thread):

Also, your character's build actually affects their stats (somewhat).

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 19, 2013

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

WendigoJohnson posted:

I just don't get why Mario and Luigi don't speak full sentences yet. The new 3DS Luigi game has the Banjo Kazooie type conversations. They even recorded new voice quips this time around instead of re-using the same ones from 1996, why not go the extra mile and have them talk for real?

It's easier to localize text than speech.

I'm pretty sure that's literally the reason why.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rocketlex posted:

It's easier to localize text than speech.

I'm pretty sure that's literally the reason why.

And it would cost more to do that than they would get in extra sales.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There is a lot of rewriting of history going on in this thread to make Nintendo look a lot better than it actually was.

The WiiU will be fine and while there are some comparisons you can make to the Dreamcast it's just coincidence.

Also love the "heh pleebs, I just want to play Games heh, I don't need that social aspects forced on me heh" attitude that some of the internet has. At least Sony has confirmed that it's 100% optional and that they want to focus more on the games (I would post about Microsoft but they haven't had their keynote/reveal and I don't want to post about rumors/speculation). Nintendo fans have this weird superiority complex when it comes to people talking about the console and it's weird as gently caress. Nintendo has done numerous things wrong with the WiiU launch and it's made numerous errors/things that make you scratch your head; there is no harm in talking about it.

The marketing of the WiiU. The absolute silence of "explaining what it is" to the "non-gamer" crowd. The game droubt after numerous "we've learned from our past mistakes". The entire operating system that seems to be from 2006 and not 2012.

Though if there is one thing that the PS3 launch has shown is that you can recover from failure, so I think the "proper" comparison is the WiiU being Nintendo's PS3. Not Dreamcast.

edit; Though after Nintendoland and Mario sort of lost their flavor my WiiU has been collecting dust nonstop, the newest patch is "ok" when talking about the OS but I really only boot it up anymore to look at Miiverse (that social aspect part of a new console har har) and play Rayman. Let me love you why don't you want me to love you :(

Zomodok fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 19, 2013

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zomodok posted:

Though if there is one thing that the PS3 launch has shown is that you can recover from failure, so I think the "proper" comparison is the WiiU being Nintendo's PS3. Not Dreamcast.

Yeah, this. Wii-U isn't a Dreamcast because the Dreamcast had more games at launch, so that comparison doesn't even hold water. PS3 came back after a little while when it actually had more games.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

computer parts posted:

And it would cost more to do that than they would get in extra sales.

I dunno every single big release pretty much gets some form of spoken dialogue, you could say the same thing about Metal gear Solid. But the voice actors/actresses in Metal gear made the game more memorable so it could be argued that it made the game more appealing and hence created more sales.

Lets not forget they're still using the same pokemon sound effects and voices from the original Gameboy in the year 2013. I mean that's really pushing it.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

MinibarMatchman posted:

Yeah, this. Wii-U isn't a Dreamcast because the Dreamcast had more games at launch, so that comparison doesn't even hold water. PS3 came back after a little while when it actually had more games.

Fairly sure the PS3 had more games a year in than the WiiU does a year in. Like a lot more.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MinibarMatchman posted:

So really the WiiU can only be the PS3 when it actually makes a come back. As it is the WiiU is just looking like a console that is not going to last. I just can't see any reason to want this system right now. All of the focus seems to be on the 3DS which makes me believe that Nintendo already plans on killing off the WiiU soon. I didn't see it in this thread, but who is aware that Nintendo is not doing a press conference at E3 this year?

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Fairly sure the PS3 had more games a year in than the WiiU does a year in. Like a lot more.

Until The Wonderful 101 comes out, we're still technically in the Launch Window. :colbert:

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

I said come in! posted:

I just can't see any reason to want this system right now.

Good thing the world isn't ending tomorrow.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harry posted:

You don't know that!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Rocketlex posted:

Until The Wonderful 101 comes out, we're still technically in the Launch Window. :colbert:

This is assuming the game actually delivers and doesn't fall short. I mean there's a chance that it could wind up degrading into terrible repetitive gameplay later on in the game.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Harry posted:

The world was going to end tomorrow but Nintendo pushed it back until November.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW1CoCPX-jc

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

I can see the box that holds the English prototype of Mother 3 :ohdear:

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

what movie is that from

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

That is amazing :aaaaa:

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

what movie is that from

Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Quest For Glory II posted:

That's an excellent write-up. I'd be curious to hear from people who don't own a Wii U and aren't interested in one, and why. And whether they'd ever be interested.

New ideas and less gimmicks in their games for one. Wonderful 101 is like the only game on the Wii I'm even remotely interested in and that's mostly because it's a Platinum Games title. They are great at making new games with innovative ideas and Hideki Kamiya is the perfect man to bring that to a video game. A lot of what I don't like about Nintendo's major titles developed by them, is they follow a formula too much, it's the main reason I hate playing any Zelda game and why I've only been able to play a few Mario games. I've always preferred like Metroid and Kirby, because those are games Nintendo feels like they can do new stuff with and get away with it, since those aren't their big money makers, but they only make those games so often and it really puts me off of getting invested in their stuff.

I'm probably going to buy a Wii U at some point just to play W101 and like the two other games that look good on it, but I'm not nearly as interested in the future, As of right now I would not even consider buying one. On top of the fact it costs too much for what little it has and there's a giant gimmick in the tablet controller, I can't really care to buy it. Thankfully as that dude said, the world's not ending tomorrow and Nintendo has time to turn it around.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
"More original and fewer gimmicks" is a pretty infuriating blanket mandate to give a game designer.

"I want new features and new ideas but don't want anything experimental."

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Well, I hope Nintendo can turn it around because I got a Wii U for Monster Hunter 3U.

Better keep bribing Capcom, Nintendo.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rocketlex posted:

"More original and fewer gimmicks" is a pretty infuriating blanket mandate to give a game designer.

I've heard the argument that what is called a "gimmick" is just an innovation that in retrospect didn't take off, but I still think you can make a distinction before the fact, based on an analysis of whether it really makes games better to play, enough to justify its extra cost and complexity. I don't think hardly anything Nintendo has done recently fulfills that condition.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rocketlex posted:

It's more of a matter of "I want you to make new games and have unique ideas, but don't base your console around a gimmick unless you have some actual fun applications for it." The problem I had with the Wii was that there were so few games that it felt like I preferred using Motion Controls over an actual controller, it didn't add to the experience except for a few games and was more intrusive to the experience than it was beneficial. If you want to experiment that's fine, but I feel basing your entire console around gimmicks does not benefit it in the long run. If Sony had kept trying to make Sixaxis a more mainstay thing than it's original launch stuff, I would've hated playing my PS3 more than not, the same goes for the 3DS' 3D stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runaway Five
Dec 31, 2007
I hate gays almost as much as I hate good posting. Also, God is good. Amen

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

because a first person Zelda sounds awful. Like a neutered Elder Scrolls game.

One of Ocarina of Time's original ideas was to be a first person view for Link doing swordplay. An animator had already gone through the trouble of making a cool 3D Model of Link, and was then told they were going to try a first person view. He really wanted to use his model as much as possible (Link looked so cool!) so they ended up going with 3rd person Link when he uses his sword.

It is interesting to see ideas change over time. For a while, the sword in Twilight Princess for the Nintendo Wii was controlled with the B button. It was NOT going to use "waggle" to swing sword. I think that might have been a good idea, but they went with waggle in the end.

One last Zelda tidbit. Originally the entire Ocarina of Time was going to take place in Ganondorf's Tower and use "paintings" like Super Mario 64 did.

Most of Nintendo's design changes over the life of a product I agree with. You have to admit they seriously look at stuff, see if it feels good, and change it if it doesn't. They do this right about 85% of the time. Sometimes though they just get friggin lazy and shoehorn in ONE way to perform an action (one control scheme) and that makes me sad. Why did Animal Crossing City Folk for Nintendo Wii NOT allow classic controller and/or gamecube controller? It would have been so easy to program that. But they went with Wii Remote + Nunchuck ONLY. Similarly to the New Super Mario Bros for Nintendo Wii. Wii Remotes turned sideways only... seriously!? I know there are some tilt control areas but that could have been mapped to button presses!

• Locked thread