Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
So I'm stuck. In the subway after your rail car crashes and you need to call the raft and fight off the nosalises(?). I'm doing a no humans killed stealth run and have a silenced kalash with laser sight and night sight, a silenced double barrel shotgun with a stock, and a semi auto pistol with stock, holo sight foregrip, and barrel extension. I keep getting killed after only killing like 5 or 6 of them and they get behind me or box me in and the health kits don't seem to do much to keep me alive. The pistol seems to do the seems to do the most damage... I'm playing on regular hard. Any advice? I'm getting tired of retrying, just to die shortly after.

Edit: that said, I'm really loving this game, the atmosphere is great. Totally creeps me out and almost makes me not want to play alone at night.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

With regards to the HUD, is the only real difference between Ranger Easy and Ranger Hardcore the tab menu? On RE you still have it, it just doesn't display ammo, except for how much MGR you have (and you can tell if it's equipped there by if the icon is glowing or not), and it doesn't show what guns you've got. Enemies don't seem to take any more or less damage than on normal difficulty either.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

dog nougat posted:

So I'm stuck. In the subway after your rail car crashes and you need to call the raft and fight off the nosalises(?). I'm doing a no humans killed stealth run and have a silenced kalash with laser sight and night sight, a silenced double barrel shotgun with a stock, and a semi auto pistol with stock, holo sight foregrip, and barrel extension. I keep getting killed after only killing like 5 or 6 of them and they get behind me or box me in and the health kits don't seem to do much to keep me alive. The pistol seems to do the seems to do the most damage... I'm playing on regular hard. Any advice? I'm getting tired of retrying, just to die shortly after.

Edit: that said, I'm really loving this game, the atmosphere is great. Totally creeps me put and almost makes me not want to play alone at night.

The 6 chamber shot gun is useful, aim for the face and keep moving. I noticed staying on the second floor, near the stair way is helpful; when they come after you, you can jump off the stairs off to the side, and they will take the time to go down the stairs instead of jumping down. This can help put a little distance between you and them as you reload.

So basically keep making a circuit of the room, only stopping to take the time to shoot after reloading.

Wicker Man fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 18, 2013

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Wait, you can KNOCK OUT guards? Oh jeez. I've just been shivving them because I thought it was the only thing to do. I'm guessing I just never saw the prompt because of hardcore, huh? Too late to start now since I'm almost done, but man. How do you do it, anyway?

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

Sankis posted:

Wait, you can KNOCK OUT guards? Oh jeez. I've just been shivving them because I thought it was the only thing to do. I'm guessing I just never saw the prompt because of hardcore, huh? Too late to start now since I'm almost done, but man. How do you do it, anyway?

You hit E when you are close to them. Though it seems to not work if the guard is in the middle of some action aside from walking.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Just finished it. This was one of the best games I ever played. Hands down the most immersive and atmospheric single player game I ever played. I can't wait for nvidia to release the GTX 780 so I can replay it all maxed out.

Meanwhile I am reinstalling metro 2033 because I never got to finish that one.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Apparently you can melee one-shot spiders if they flip over

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Apparently you can melee one-shot spiders if they flip over

Sorry that would require moving towards them.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Sorry that would require moving towards them.

Really anything that isn't running away from them at top speed is a bad decision I feel

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
When I read about the spiders I expected the worst but now I realize they're incredibly well done. They pose no real threat to the player, yet they make a great enemy.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Skuzal posted:

You hit E when you are close to them. Though it seems to not work if the guard is in the middle of some action aside from walking.

Really? I can't finish the game because of absolutely infuriating Steam issues but the parts I did play (up to the boss fight after the swamp) had custom animations for a whole bunch of different knock outs. The sleeping one made me laugh pretty hard.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Oh God, the boss fight in the swamps is making me want to uninstall the game. What a stupid section that feels completely out of place.

Why even have bosses in Metro? It feels so jarring.

It's sad because everything else has been absolutely amazing up to this point.

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well if it's any consolation, GameSpot gave Last Light a 9.0/10. Then again, they gave BioShock Infinite the exact same score and this game is better than BioShock Infinite in every way. BioShock Infinite's first few hours were incredible but then it lost steam and never recovered. This game is immersive as hell from the beginning and sucks you in and never lets you go until the very end.

Couldn't agree with this more. As much as I enjoyed Bioshock Infinite this was a far more enjoyable experience in every possible way. The amount of detail literally everywhere you look. I can't count the amount of times, particularly when on the surface (the bridge level comes to mind), I found myself just standing around soaking up the atmosphere and taking in the sights... and then promptly remembering if I don't move soon I'll suffocate to death. loving amazing game.

Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho
Finished it now. It is a good game with some flaws, just like the original. Bugs, Ranger HC stupidity, tedious mutant sections and awful bosses were the main detractors for me. However, the gameplay is very solid and the atmosphere is simply stunning. I'll definitely be replaying it. If I had to give it a number score it'd be around 8.5/10, 9/10 if you ignore the Ranger HC fiasco.

Also, it felt like the sniper rifles were never actually useful at all, since the assault rifles do their job just as well. It might just be the reduced enemy health from Ranger HC making enemies so easy to snipe even with a Lolife or a silenced revolver.

e:

dog nougat posted:

That was the part I got stuck on the longest since I was autosaved into it with a nearly empty assault rifle and a lovely shotgun. I got past it by putting my back against the wall on the second floor and making every shot count. When I had to reload with enemies in my face I ran a lap around the room since the enemies are fairly bad at keeping up with you.

Remember that you can use throwing knives in an emergency, they do decent damage.

Doniazade fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 19, 2013

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Everything is great about this game. There is so much dialog between soldiers if you take the time to sneak through areas. While sneaking around on my first playthrough I missed a few side areas after you escape from interrogation by the Reds.
One of the areas I missed I went through on my second playthrough had two guards talking about Artyom's handiwork on the Frontline mission in the first game. Artyom is so badass people think his handiwork is the work of entire squads. I couldn't help but smile.

Doniazade posted:

Also, it felt like the sniper rifles were never actually useful at all, since the assault rifles do their job just as well. It might just be the reduced enemy health from Ranger HC making enemies so easy to snipe even with a Lolife or a silenced revolver.

The sniper rifles were great for taking on the heavy armor dudes on normal difficulty. They were also great for dealing with BitchsDemons.

Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho

Broose posted:

The sniper rifles were great for taking on the heavy armor dudes on normal difficulty. They were also great for dealing with BitchsDemons.
Then it's Ranger messing it up, they drop in one regular AR shot to the throat or 2-3 to the dome for me.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Doniazade posted:

Then it's Ranger messing it up, they drop in one regular AR shot to the throat or 2-3 to the dome for me.

Maybe not then, good aim like that still brings them down quick in normal mode as well. I found the snipers pretty useful on the Train cause I didn't have to bother with aiming for the head.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

You know, I used to laugh at people who wimp out and mod in loving bears for the spiders in Skyrim.

This game taught me what arachnophobia is. Their sound direction is simply amazing. gently caress Infinite, this is hands down GOTY for me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought the spiders in this game were pretty neat looking. I also ran after them with the lighter poking them with my knife, though. :v:

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
It is fortunate beyond words that the works of the great masters survived the armageddon.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
I had to have a buddy there to give me "moral support", aka poking me when I'm all tense and scaring the poo poo out of me, to help get through the spider section since I'm utterly loving terrified of spiders.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Red Mundus posted:

Oh God, the boss fight in the swamps is making me want to uninstall the game. What a stupid section that feels completely out of place.

Why even have bosses in Metro? It feels so jarring.

It's sad because everything else has been absolutely amazing up to this point.

Yeah, the boss fights feel really weak and forced. They contrive a reason for you to be in a big circular arena for all of them, too. It's silly.

Speaking of which, I'm at the (end game)big bear mutant boss fight. Any tips? I just want to get through this fully. Also is there another vendor or should I unload with my military grade ammo?

Like Metro 2033, my favorite fights are all versus human enemies. I much prefer when the creatures are used more for horror, like the librarians.

Tibbeh posted:

I had to have a buddy there to give me "moral support", aka poking me when I'm all tense and scaring the poo poo out of me, to help get through the spider section since I'm utterly loving terrified of spiders.

If it's any consolation, they're not actually spiders since they don't have eight legs. Feel better now?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I see what you guys mean about Ranger mode now. I had no idea that I only had like twelve bullets between my revolver and AK after sneaking out of the concentration camp with Pavel. You have no idea how much ammo you get or have left or is even in your gun, it's dumb. It looks like one "clip" equals one revolver bullet though based on how many times I've reloaded after looting a body.

Leb posted:

It is fortunate beyond words that the works of the great masters survived the armageddon.

This is fantastic.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 19, 2013

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

Sankis posted:

If it's any consolation, they're not actually spiders since they don't have eight legs. Feel better now?

Yeah I'm mostly over them now since they're kinda more like scorpions in how they look than anything else, but I still back the gently caress away from them when I see them and they make me jumpy. But jumpy is a large improvement over loving terrified of them, and to be fair, them making me so jumpy makes for EXCELLENT tension and immersion ingame, so I guess 10/10 for pants making GBS threads terror/immersion

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I see what you guys mean about Ranger mode now. I had no idea that I only had like twelve bullets between my revolver and AK after sneaking out of the concentration camp with Pavel. You have no idea how much ammo you get or have left or is even in your gun, it's dumb. It looks like one "clip" equals one revolver bullet though based on how many times I've reloaded after looting a body.

What's really dumb is that you can check your ammo in safe stations but you're just going to fill up the ammo you use as soon as you find a vendor so what's the point? They should just let you check your ammo by hanging back a moment or simply not being in combat for X long.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's not even really the appearance of the spiders so much as it is the way they skitter around, and you can't always perfectly discern whether the gross noises are a spider around the corner or an egg full of babies hatching behind you. Then there's the tunnels, which they could be hiding in. I have yet to die to a spider but in every encounter with them I am convinced there are 200 full grown ones just hiding out there ready to jump me. And they sound so loving gross!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

I was really skittish in the spider tunnels until I realized I could hold the lighter to burn a good deal of the hanging webs, which had the side effect of allowing me to move around slightly faster and the added bonus of being a giant "gently caress you, spiders".

Noirex
May 30, 2006

No it's not so much their appearance. It's the sound and their creepy movement. That frantic back and forth skittering freaks me the gently caress out and I don't know why.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sankis posted:

What's really dumb is that you can check your ammo in safe stations but you're just going to fill up the ammo you use as soon as you find a vendor so what's the point? They should just let you check your ammo by hanging back a moment or simply not being in combat for X long.

That is dumb, yeah. Can you hold more knives in Ranger than normal? I thought it was five in Normal, but I've got ten now. Huh.

Has anyone figured out why on occasion your crap bullets will set people on fire?

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

That is dumb, yeah. Can you hold more knives in Ranger than normal? I thought it was five in Normal, but I've got ten now. Huh.

Has anyone figured out why on occasion your crap bullets will set people on fire?

I'd doubt that the limit would be higher in Ranger so you might've just never got to 10 before. For the second question it's because you switched to military rounds without realizing.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
What's up with the Saiga shotgun on ranger difficulties? I literally had to pump 2-3 rounds into a nosalis' head point-blank to kill them. I honestly think it might be a bug because my AR drops them in 1-2 shots.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Red Mundus posted:

What's up with the Saiga shotgun on ranger difficulties? I literally had to pump 2-3 rounds into a nosalis' head point-blank to kill them. I honestly think it might be a bug because my AR drops them in 1-2 shots.

Oh good, it wasn't just me. I was so excited to get the Saiga, became incredibly disappointed, then wished I had the weird revolver clip one back.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Leb posted:

I never noticed that during my play through. Was it somewhere in a hidden place that you had to go through a crawlspace to reach ?

I also just noticed a nice little detail that when you're not on the surface, the watch turns into a clock that uses the current time on your computer. Quite a nice thing to have, keeping track of the time while exploring the Metro.

Red Mundus posted:

Depends on what the weapon is I think. I had my Modified AKS-74u take more shots to kill them then the Lolife pistol which took them out with a few bullets.

The Duplet is a powerhouse though from my experience. Mostly one-shots most monsters up close.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Leb posted:

Having put a number of hours into this bad boy, this is pretty true. HUDs exist as a means of conveying abstract information to the player in a predominantly visual medium. If their intention was to enhance the immersion by removing this conceit, fantastic, but they absolutely should have replaced it with something else, e.g., a 'look in pack' animation where you can see some visual representation of the number of magazines/rounds/consumables/etc (even if only an approximation) you have available.

As it stands, I would argue that (in certain respects) the current implementation actually decreases immersion as it reminds the player that they are unable to perform such basic but critical actions as 'look at hand to see which throwable is equipped', 'look at magazine to see how many/which types of rounds are loaded', 'look at pack to determine how many filters are left', etc...

I mean, I'm still always going to play Ranger Hardcore, but perhaps we can hope that 4A will pull a CDPR and put out something to address this issue.
Whats weird is that I remember 2033 giving you all these different ways to check what kind of gear you had. I also remember that you had no idea what your gear was/ammo was unless you stopped and pulled up the main menu, which both didn't pause the game and basically was the game's conceit of having you rustle around in your pack. Why go backwards on this?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Leb posted:

Holy poo poo, I never saw that during my initial playthrough. Now I have just another reason to play it again :allears:

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Holy poo poo, I never saw that during my initial playthrough. Now I have just another reason to play it again :allears:

It's there, but it's not "remastered" as it is here in this picture :)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sputty posted:

I'd doubt that the limit would be higher in Ranger so you might've just never got to 10 before. For the second question it's because you switched to military rounds without realizing.

poo poo, really? I didn't tell the game to switch the ammo out, does it just start pulling it in if you run out of lovely bullets?

quote:

Depends on what the weapon is I think. I had my Modified AKS-74u take more shots to kill them then the Lolife pistol which took them out with a few bullets.

Maybe it's because I have the silencer on, but the AKS seems to do jackshit to anything for me, and it has huge spread. Its kind of an awful weapon. I found the shotgun pistol and I'm loving it though. The worst thing about Ranger so far is the two gun limit, if only because I like having a little more variety.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah, the shotgun pistol is amazing. Wish I had kept it.

I'm loving this game and as far as I'm concerned it's GOTY for me. I have never been more immersed before in a video game. The half-life comparison rings true.

And much like half-life I think I found it's Xen level. :v:

(mid-to-late-game spoilers)I found the part where you finally meet the child dark one and have to go top-side for a while to be really tedious and unfun. It's basically mutants, mutants, mutants, with a crappy boss thrown in. Doesn't help that mid way through you are forced into a huge shoot-out with Pavel's men out in the open surrounded by snipers. My sneaky rear end REALLY appreciated that. :suicide:

RBA Starblade posted:

poo poo, really? I didn't tell the game to switch the ammo out, does it just start pulling it in if you run out of lovely bullets?

I think so, the same thing happened to me too. Thankfully it was near the end where they no longer need to be kept.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
So I hear mostly positive things about this game.

I have Metro 2033 but have not actually played it a lot (got it for free during a facebook promotion thing). Should I play 2033 first or can I jump in with Last Light which is apparently way more polished ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Doctor
May 25, 2009

"I'm not a hero, I'm just an old killer"
If you've got the time it's worth running through 2033 first just so you get some story stuff. 2033 is still one of my favorite games and Last Light is loving fantastic.

• Locked thread