Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Typical Counter bullshit writing that's disconnected from the established fluff. Drop pods are barely big enough to hold the men they deliver. Still, that book is going to get exponentially more imbecilic, so enjoy what you can while you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Typical Counter bullshit writing that's disconnected from the established fluff. Drop pods are barely big enough to hold the men they deliver. Still, that book is going to get exponentially more imbecilic, so enjoy what you can while you can.

That ending. Those characters. That plot. :allears:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It truly did lay the groundwork for the thing that is Battle for the Abyss.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I read from somewhere that Ben Counter is completely anal about violating established fluff that:

1d4chan posted:

According to regulars at his FLHS, does seem to spend a disproportionate amount of time torturing himself over whether or he might be writing fluff violation that he doesn't know about.

In fact, games get interrupted by sudden bouts of angst along the lines of "Wait a minute! You mean your forces can do <something I didn't know about and fluff for which I may have unwittingly transgressed in my book>?"

*shrug* Still haven't continued on that second Grey Knights book of his. Probably not touching Soul Drinkers from everything I've read about it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Schneider Heim posted:

I picked up a Blood Bowl book in the bargain bin and it's some nice, light reading. Makes me interested enough to check out the games. Tie-in fiction!
It's a decent light comedy series for a light comedy game, but familiarity with English football culture really helps.

mllaneza posted:

So I started the Soul Drinkers series. Right at the start Ben Coulter introduces one of the most 40k things ever. Soul Drinkers listen to music in their drop pods, but not recordings. The pods have a choir of servitors that are just faces and vox units. How badly do you have to gently caress up for THAT to be your fate ?

There are lots of references to criminals being repurposed as servitors, but very few references to anyone actually suffering that fate.
In one of the Gamesday exclusive short story books there's a pair of stories about a dude becoming a servitor and then being one. It's considered a great honour to the Iron Hands, as servitors normally outlast marines.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

I picked up a Blood Bowl book in the bargain bin and it's some nice, light reading. Makes me interested enough to check out the games. Tie-in fiction!
If it was the first book ("Blood Bowl"), you might want to stop there. By the fourth book, the series is pretty bad.

Arquinsiel posted:

It's a decent light comedy series for a light comedy game, but familiarity with English football culture really helps.
Really? I didn't think so at all - other than references to hooligans, I thought the series was pretty easy to follow.

Arquinsiel posted:

In one of the Gamesday exclusive short story books there's a pair of stories about a dude becoming a servitor and then being one. It's considered a great honour to the Iron Hands, as servitors normally outlast marines.
Dude wasn't thrilled though...

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Typical Counter bullshit writing that's disconnected from the established fluff. Drop pods are barely big enough to hold the men they deliver.
I think you can find a corner to shove a human head with a speaker shoved into its mouth.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

berzerkmonkey posted:

Really? I didn't think so at all - other than references to hooligans, I thought the series was pretty easy to follow.
The book set in Albion in particular had people named after various footballers and teams and the like. IIRC they were playing for the "FA Cup" too. I didn't actually know there was a fourth book though, must have missed it somehow.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Other than Gaunt's Ghosts, and Horus Heresy*, is Ciaphas Cain the BL's series with the most books? I mean, it is at 9 now, not counting short stories and the like.

*Since HH has many different plotlines/authors, I feel it would be unfair to list it in this.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

bunnyofdoom posted:

Other than Gaunt's Ghosts, and Horus Heresy*, is Ciaphas Cain the BL's series with the most books? I mean, it is at 9 now, not counting short stories and the like.

*Since HH has many different plotlines/authors, I feel it would be unfair to list it in this.

The Gotrek & Felix series has 13(!) full-length novels, plus a short story collection and an audiobook.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

The book set in Albion in particular had people named after various footballers and teams and the like. IIRC they were playing for the "FA Cup" too. I didn't actually know there was a fourth book though, must have missed it somehow.
Oh, ok, I see where you're coming from. Yeah, the fourth book was Rumble in the Jungle - it came out right after the Omnibus. I thought it was pretty bad - it seemed like it was something that had been sitting around for a while and he just decided to publish it. It's got two 5-star reviews on Amazon though, so take that as you will.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The Gotrek & Felix series has 13(!) full-length novels, plus a short story collection and an audiobook.

I stand corrected.

It's still the second longest 40k then, right?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

I stand corrected.

It's still the second longest 40k then, right?

Yup.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I just finished Fire Caste by Peter Fehervari yesterday. His prose is solid and he’s good at establishing an evocative setting and mood, but there’s a lot of “first novel” problems present here. The pacing is an absolute mess and there are wat too many characters, with not enough to distinguish most of them. There are some interesting concepts relating to the setting that aren’t fully explored, and thematically, nothing really comes together to create a satisfying narrative. Fehervari needed a more concise, less ambitious story that would have allowed him to focus on his strengths, because he really is a pretty technically proficient writer. I wouldn’t recommend the book to anyone else, but I will be keeping an eye on his future works.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

berzerkmonkey posted:

Oh, ok, I see where you're coming from. Yeah, the fourth book was Rumble in the Jungle - it came out right after the Omnibus. I thought it was pretty bad - it seemed like it was something that had been sitting around for a while and he just decided to publish it. It's got two 5-star reviews on Amazon though, so take that as you will.

That's exactly what I have! It's ok so far.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yup, definitely missed that. I may pick it up someday when I run out of other stuff to read though.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Funnily enough, Trollslayer is actually also just a short story collection. I don't have it, because I instead own all the anthologies they were originally published in. There's a lot of stuff in there that's far too awesome for GW to publish these days :smith:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Anyone mind telling me what the hell the point was behind Angel Exterminatus? As far as I can tell no one "lost" and no one "won", except perhaps the Eldar race.

A few questions:
-The Eldar guides. Am I correct in my assumption that they were trying to pit the two groups of Space Marines against one another to prevent them from sacrificing millions of souls to Slaneesh? I found this weird since one of them pretty much comes out and states he is from Commorragh. This is where I got kind of confused, because I wasn't sure why they even bothered. Self-sacrifice doesn't seem to be a Dark Eldar trait.
-Fulgrim's ritual is clearly hosed up, but then suddenly it works as if it didn't matter...does he become the Angel Exterminatus?
-Perturabo is drained by the stone that Fulgrim tricked him into wearing, however he throws it into the abyss and is snagged by Captain's Grapple-Hawk. This seems to not really matter...

It just seemed like there was a shitload going on with very little resolution. The only characters I really enjoyed were the Salamander Apothecary, Raven Guard Super-Ninja, and the Iron Father that nearly got them all killed. I suppose the book was worth it to see Lucius get his rear end whooped again, but honestly the Iron Warriors tie-in seemed really shoe horned at the last minute.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion

Uroboros posted:

Anyone mind telling me what the hell the point was behind Angel Exterminatus? As far as I can tell no one "lost" and no one "won", except perhaps the Eldar race.

A few questions:
-The Eldar guides. Am I correct in my assumption that they were trying to pit the two groups of Space Marines against one another to prevent them from sacrificing millions of souls to Slaneesh? I found this weird since one of them pretty much comes out and states he is from Commorragh. This is where I got kind of confused, because I wasn't sure why they even bothered. Self-sacrifice doesn't seem to be a Dark Eldar trait.
-Fulgrim's ritual is clearly hosed up, but then suddenly it works as if it didn't matter...does he become the Angel Exterminatus?
-Perturabo is drained by the stone that Fulgrim tricked him into wearing, however he throws it into the abyss and is snagged by Captain's Grapple-Hawk. This seems to not really matter...

It just seemed like there was a shitload going on with very little resolution. The only characters I really enjoyed were the Salamander Apothecary, Raven Guard Super-Ninja, and the Iron Father that nearly got them all killed. I suppose the book was worth it to see Lucius get his rear end whooped again, but honestly the Iron Warriors tie-in seemed really shoe horned at the last minute.

The big things
~First Daemon Prince
~Perturabo is now in the eye of terror
~Perturabo got his stregnth back when the stone was shattered allowing him to beat his brother like a drum
Also...
~The first time Lucius loses a fight, but is now favored by Slaanesh.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/wolf-hunt-mp3.html

Who the hell is Yasu Nagasena?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Dude from Outcast Dead. Master strategiest/Painter. He is written about as Nipponophile as he's drawn there.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
That is the goofiest looking space marine I've ever seen.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Including the drunk "Christmas Marine" minis?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

EyeRChris posted:

The big things
~First Daemon Prince
~Perturabo is now in the eye of terror
~Perturabo got his stregnth back when the stone was shattered allowing him to beat his brother like a drum
Also...
~The first time Lucius loses a fight, but is now favored by Slaanesh.

I thought Angron was the first Daemon Prince, and it doesn't really tell me what the Eldar were trying to do...
Perturabo is in the Eye? I thought he was heading back to meet up with Horus for the invasion.
Why the hell did Perturabo get his strength back if Fulgrim used it to ascend?

Also, Lucius had gotten his poo poo handed two him at least twice before. This was just the first time he died.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Arbite posted:

Dude from Outcast Dead. Master strategiest/Painter. He is written about as Nipponophile as he's drawn there.

I spoiled myself on Lexicanum and wow. The not-Japanese Inquisitor in the Ultramarines series was okay, but this? Is McNeill a weeb all along?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

I spoiled myself on Lexicanum and wow. The not-Japanese Inquisitor in the Ultramarines series was okay, but this? Is McNeill a weeb all along?

He's a Tau player, which should answer your question.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
Was considering buying a BL ebook today, my last purchase being Pariah. I was planning on getting some copies of the HH books I already own on paperback, untill I saw they've gone and upped the price of all the HH novels to £11.99.

Jesus christ.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I believe those are the enhanced e-book ones (with illustrations)? The general e-book release takes a while later.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

ed balls balls man posted:

Was considering buying a BL ebook today, my last purchase being Pariah. I was planning on getting some copies of the HH books I already own on paperback, untill I saw they've gone and upped the price of all the HH novels to £11.99.

Jesus christ.

If I knew paying that kind of price meant the author was getting most of it, that'd be one thing. If I knew "yeah, I'm paying more, but it means the authors I really enjoy get a fatter paycheck", well I can live with that. Because then I'm basically paying more for quality, and that's a good thing. But that's not the case. Even though the profit margins are much better (all the middlemen of printing, shipping, stocking, etc are out) the authors are still getting the same lovely slice and the gap is going to the suits. The actual creator whose product I am paying for isn't getting the rewards, the guy who happens to own the intellectual property the creator uses to generate something of worth is. And its bullshit.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Schneider Heim posted:

I believe those are the enhanced e-book ones (with illustrations)? The general e-book release takes a while later.

Gahhh why does Games Workshop have to be ridiculously grasping and evil in every, single area they do business in. 'Enhanced' is such bogus poo poo.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

The actual creator whose product I am paying for isn't getting the rewards, the guy who happens to own the intellectual property the creator uses to generate something of worth is. And its bullshit.

You're commenting like the authors are getting paid poo poo all. Is this the case? Is there information out there that indicates BL writers get paid very little for the work they do? Or more based on how well their book does?

I'm asking because I don't actually know and I'm curious.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

orphean posted:

Gahhh why does Games Workshop have to be ridiculously grasping and evil in every, single area they do business in. 'Enhanced' is such bogus poo poo.

Especially because the art is ugly and lame. If it was radass stuff like the cover art, well, it would still be a rip but it wouldn't be as bad.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

AndyElusive posted:

You're commenting like the authors are getting paid poo poo all. Is this the case? Is there information out there that indicates BL writers get paid very little for the work they do? Or more based on how well their book does?

I'm asking because I don't actually know and I'm curious.
A friend of mine is married to a reasonably successful urban fantasy author and he says that it's a big advance, a big lump then the book starts to sell and then a trickle of residues once every few months. IIRC he said it was something like €50k every six months or so, and it can end up being pretty dramatically delayed. She puts out two books a year. I have no idea how representative of the industry that is. Rumour has it that IP writing like GW or whatever pays even less.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I recall ADB mentioning financial trouble on his blog well after his stuff gained popularity.

On a different note, what is a micro-short story, exactly and is it any good?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's exactly what it says on the tin I guess.

quote:

This exclusive eBook collection contains three seminal tales of the World Eaters and their gene-sire, by Aaron Dembski-Bowden and Matthew Farrer. Alongside the classic 'After Desh'ea', the audio drama 'Butcher's Nails' is presented for the first time in prose rather than script format. Finally, the brand new micro-short story 'Lord of the Red Sands' gives a glimpse of the past, along with a vision of Angron's own hopes for revenge and redemption in an uncertain future.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I think a micro-short is 1000 words?

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
I'd get it just for The Butcher's Nails in prose so I don't have to hear constant "swoosh", "boom" and "pew pew pew" noises whenever I try to sit down and listen to it fully.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

Oh no, I mean all the HH eBooks, even the original few that came out as a £6.99 eBook or whatever the price was.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
BL is changing their size format - they're going to the Space Marine Battles book size now, up from the standard paperback size. There's your cost increase - and I'm sure the e-books will go up as well, even though there is absolutely no reason they should.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

BL is changing their size format - they're going to the Space Marine Battles book size now, up from the standard paperback size. There's your cost increase - and I'm sure the e-books will go up as well, even though there is absolutely no reason they should.

More bytes = more money, according to BL (in fairness, they're not the only greedy ones).

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

You know, I've always heard never touch any C.S. Goto, but have never actually heard why, except for "Multilaser". Even then I don't know why Multilaser is bad, cause people say it likes it's an inside joke, and I guess I'm not on the inside.

Haven't read any of his stuff, but just curious about why it's poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

bunnyofdoom posted:

You know, I've always heard never touch any C.S. Goto, but have never actually heard why, except for "Multilaser". Even then I don't know why Multilaser is bad, cause people say it likes it's an inside joke, and I guess I'm not on the inside.

Haven't read any of his stuff, but just curious about why it's poo poo.
It's poo poo because he takes generic sci-fi, writes it badly, has poor dialogue and then applies random 40k words to it.