Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TaurusOxford posted:

The point is that Nintendo is on thin ice if not already sinking with the core gamer. What the gently caress do they benefit from pissing off a shitload of Youtube LP'ers who are making a few measly dollars by making videos of their games? It's just adding more fuel to the fire. The PS4 is practically coming with a Let's Play button on its loving controller, while Nintendo says "gently caress you" once again to its ever-dwindling fanbase.

What is weird to me is that you are not even suppose to be able to make money off of video game footage, per Youtube's own policy. But maybe that has changed because I can't find the terms anymore that dictate how you make money through ads. It's either changed, or not enforced, but at one point it use to be easy to find.

[edit]
Here it is:
http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&answer=82839

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jefferoo posted:

People on the internet have a terrible attention span.
Someone earlier said that game fans have the memory of a goldfish, but I actually read a study a while ago saying that they can be trained to remember stuff for a long time. The goldfish, I mean.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

TaurusOxford posted:

The point is that Nintendo is on thin ice if not already sinking with the core gamer. What the gently caress do they benefit from pissing off a shitload of Youtube LP'ers who are making a few measly dollars by making videos of their games? It's just adding more fuel to the fire. The PS4 is practically coming with a Let's Play button on its loving controller, while Nintendo says "gently caress you" once again to its ever-dwindling fanbase.

They have nothing to offer the core gamer, and to me, the whole platform's a wash. The fact the console is centered around a greatly outdated tablet has already turned off a great deal of people and major players like EA refusing to develop for it really puts a stranglehold on what it's offering going into the next generation. I'm sure the PS4's streaming features aren't in place for people to profit off of putting up entire games on Youtube in video form. You think what those Youtubers are doing isn't a "gently caress You" to Nintendo? Because it kind of is.

fivegears4reverse posted:

The value of "free advertising" from LPers is certainly up for debate, and Nintendo may not need it despite the hilarious trainwreck that is their current marketing for the Wii U. They need people like you defending their decisions even less.

In the rules of "debate" the onus isn't on me to prove your claim wrong, when you provide no evidence for it. And nobody has anything beyond vague, anecdotal evidence to justify it.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Jefferoo posted:

In the rules of "debate" the onus isn't on me to prove your claim wrong, when you provide no evidence for it. And nobody has anything beyond vague, anecdotal evidence to justify it.

The infamous MW2 image could be countered by literally years of bile and hatred people have maintained towards videogame companies like EA, Activision, Nintendo, Sega, and pretty much any gaming company out there, often for things that happened over a decade ago! As it turns out, consumers in general, even gamers (especially gamers) can and will hold something against a company for a long time if its actually bad enough.

Look at Nintendo's own history: Their consoles were consistently selling lower and lower numbers from the NES on until the Wii reversed that course dramatically. During that time, they'd built up a reputation of being "kiddie" (which still gets thrown around today), "casual" (despite the fact that they still have some amazingly hardcore games coming out of their stable. NSMBU isn't exactly easy "kiddie poo poo" the farther you go), "unfriendly to third parties" (a result of their practices during the NES and SNES era and is something that haunts them to this day even if they are SIGNIFICANTLY friendlier to 3rd parties more than ever), and "out of touch" (a label that has persisted from the N64 era onward, for a variety of reasons). These are things that are sticking with them today, and their detractors have NEVER stopped reminding Nintendo and eachother about them.

It'll be interesting to see how well ME4 actually does, given how people on SA alone are still posting about how upsetting the ending to ME3 was to them. The fact that the sales for ME3 plummeted in the weeks and months after the initial release (as opposed to the much slower decline of ME2) should say something about how word of mouth can affect a product. I think it's foolish to discount the persistent memory of gamers because "lol gamers".

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 19, 2013

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Jefferoo posted:

People on the internet have a terrible attention span.

Holy poo poo. What does gamers being bad at boycotting have anything to do with the very-well known effect of having a large, devoted fanbase? Like, seriously, I'm wondering how you think that you made a point here.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Beamed posted:

Holy poo poo. What does gamers being bad at boycotting have anything to do with the very-well known effect of having a large, devoted fanbase? Like, seriously, I'm wondering how you think that you made a point here.
Well, I see the point he is making, that even if gamers say they're angry they will still consume.

I don't exactly agree with it though, because I think customer relations are long-term and cumulative, and not necessarily expressed towards the same product that caused the offense, but rather the next ones down the road. For instance, I was deeply disappointed by FF13, but I still bought and played FF13. However, I didn't buy 13-2, the first (somewhat) main line FF game I hadn't at least tried. Now I'm out of the habit of buying FF games and may never go back. Similarly, I bought and enjoyed the Gamecube, and based on that I gave the Wii a chance too, but I will not give the WiiU a chance mostly based on my disappointment with the Wii.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 19, 2013

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, I see the point he is making, that even if gamers say they're angry they will still consume.

I don't exactly agree with it though, because I think customer relations are long-term and cumulative, and not necessarily expressed towards the same game that caused the offense, but rather the next ones down the road. For instance, I was deeply disappointed by FF13, but I still bought and played FF13. However, I didn't buy 13-2, the first (somewhat) main line FF game I hadn't at least tried. Now I'm out of the habit of buying FF games and may never go back. Similarly, I bought and enjoyed the Gamecube, and based on that I gave the Wii a chance too, but I will not give the WiiU a chance mostly based on my disappointment with the Wii.

Actually you're right, I thought he was using it as evidence gamers would forget good will a company would accumulate. My bad for the hostile tone then.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I get that sentiment. I got Wii when it launched and it wouldn't have been worth it if I didn't put homebrew on it. I rented Other M and it wanted a 'software update' to play. I knew it was mediocre at best and returned it.

Nintendo might be the only game company affected by :filez: more than the used game market, and their idea that it's reasonable to have to rebuy their emulated back catalog across platforms is part of that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

McDowell posted:

I get that sentiment. I got Wii when it launched and it wouldn't have been worth it if I didn't put homebrew on it. I rented Other M and it wanted a 'software update' to play. I knew it was mediocre at best and returned it.

Nintendo might be the only game company affected by :filez: more than the used game market, and their idea that it's reasonable to have to rebuy their emulated back catalog across platforms is part of that.

Am I misunderstanding you or are you saying you think it's unreasonable to charge people for digital versions of SNES games they may have bought 20 years ago?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

NESguerilla posted:

Am I misunderstanding you or are you saying you think it's unreasonable to charge people for digital versions of SNES games they may have bought 20 years ago?

It's unreasonable to charge them for another digital copy of the same game they bought digitally on another platform made by the same company.

Also 10 dollars for a single 20 year old game.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

NESguerilla posted:

It's reasonable to make them rebuy it. It's not reasonable to buy it again to play on your DS, or on the next generation console.

WendigoJohnson posted:

Also 10 dollars for a single 20 year old game.

This too.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

NESguerilla posted:

I think he's referring to Nintendo's lack of a centralized account, where if you bought the game in the past that you couldn't carry that over to a newer console since your purchase is tied to the system and not an account. It's really dumb.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Louisgod posted:

I think he's referring to Nintendo's lack of a centralized account, where if you bought the game in the past that you couldn't carry that over to a newer console since your purchase is tied to the system and not an account. It's really dumb.
Wait, have they moved to a personal account based system with the WiiU, or not?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, I wasn't aware of that. That is dumb as hell. Also, yeah they are extremely overpriced.

I wonder if we will be dealing with something similar on PS4 though. There is no backwards compatibility, but they will inevitably port tons of PS3 poo poo too it. I am very curious as to whether or not we will have to pay again.

Edit: holy crap this thread moves fast.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 19, 2013

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:

TaurusOxford posted:

Sony probably has similar plans with the ps4 with regards to profiting off YouTube's and such. They will simply take it a step further and simplify the process.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

For instance, I was deeply disappointed by FF13, but I still bought and played FF13. However, I didn't buy 13-2, the first (somewhat) main line FF game I hadn't at least tried. Now I'm out of the habit of buying FF games and may never go back. Similarly, I bought and enjoyed the Gamecube, and based on that I gave the Wii a chance too, but I will not give the WiiU a chance mostly based on my disappointment with the Wii.

Our purchase history almost lines up (I had a friend buy and play FF XIII in front of me, dodged that bullet) but I ended up really getting into my Wii after some time. Xenoblade and Pandora's Tower didn't disappoint. I'm also giving the U a pass for the time being.

If you can do imports, Zangeki no Reginleiv is a load of fun too.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wait, have they moved to a personal account based system with the WiiU, or not?

They did. The problem is that the account is tied to the console and not server-based like a PSN or XBLA account, which makes the account completely worthless if your WiiU ever bricks and you need to get another one.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 19, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Joink posted:

Sony probably has similar plans with the ps4 with regards to profiting off YouTube's and such. They will simply take it a step further and simplify the process.

Am I the only one that is ok with LP'ers not being able to make money off of it? The fact that Pewdiepi is able to make a living off of that poo poo makes me sad.

TaurusOxford posted:

They did. The problem is that the account is tied to the console and not server-based like a PSN or XBLA account, which makes the account completely worthless if your WiiU ever bricks and you need to get another one.

Wow. that is amazing. Nintendo is really living in another world when it comes to anything internet related.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

NESguerilla posted:

Wow. that is amazing. Nintendo is really living in another world when it comes to anything internet related.
Yeah, a world called Japan where they don't really understand the promise of the internet yet.

edit: Except with the PS4, Sony might actually finally get it?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Louisgod posted:

Wasn't there some kind of system where you could tie it to your Club Nintendo account and it would be okay across all Wii's or something? I never really looked into it to be honest so it could be bullshit

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, a world called Japan where they don't really understand the promise of the internet yet.

I dunno, I think Sony did a better job with the Internet on the PS3, PSP, and Vita than Nintendo has with the DS/DSi/3DS, Wii and Wii U. Sony had an account system from the get-go with the PS3 and PSP, with a means to transfer your account between systems with SIGNIFICANTLY LESS hassle than what you have to do with the Wii U and the 3DS.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

If they get it right I doubt it will be due to the Japanese side of Sony.

Runaway Five
Dec 31, 2007
I hate gays almost as much as I hate good posting. Also, God is good. Amen

Beamed posted:

Wasn't there some kind of system where you could tie it to your Club Nintendo account and it would be okay across all Wii's or something? I never really looked into it to be honest so it could be bullshit

If you tie your digital purchases to your Club Nintendo Account, you'll be okay if your 3DS and/or Wii-U bricks.

I had a friend lose their Nintendo 3DS. Since they tied their digital purchases to their 3DS, when they bought a new one, with the help of a Nintendo Employee, they transfered all the lisences (including the ambassador certificate) to her new 3DS. So, while Nintendo has no streamlined, automated, and/or guaranteed system of replacement of digital software if your systems dies/is lost/is stolen, I've heard nothing but positive stories of people getting help when they call Nintendo IF they tied stuff to Club Nintendo.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I'm probably going to get one at the next price drop, the one that usually hits before Christmas. Nintendo makes excellent consoles for PC gamers, and aside from the PS2, the Wii's the only console I have hooked up these days. So- I don't know how universal my experience is, but I wonder how things will go if they can successfully position themselves as the more inexpensive alternative to Microsoft and Sony's products.

But yeah- I'm probably in the minority here, but I look to console gaming to give me new ways to interact with games couples with the backwards compatibility of the ways I'm used to- sideways Wiimote, classic controller. But I've also never been a guy who buys a console the moment it comes out, because that money is usually going into a PC upgrade, and I don't mind waiting a year or two. When it meets me at around $200 for the features I want, cool. If not, I'll just get a new CPU/tablet/two hundred cheeseburgers.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sony got it with the PS3 and Vita. Whatever is going on at Nintendo is their own brand of bullshit and nothing to do with Japan.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Fallom posted:

Sony got it with the PS3 and Vita. Whatever is going on at Nintendo is their own brand of bullshit and nothing to do with Japan.

Actually that's because the European and American divisions started having more of a say in how Sony operated their onlinegame stuff.

Ask Samurai Sanders, Japan's bizzare blindspot when it comes to the Internet being A Thing is fairly real.

Moongrave fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 19, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Here's another example of how behind Japan is in especially monetizing the internet: Just about a year ago, I started seeing the term "stealth marketing" in Japanese. That is, what we call viral marketing. It either just started, or just became a thing people knew about, in 2012.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

NESguerilla posted:

Am I the only one that is ok with LP'ers not being able to make money off of it? The fact that Pewdiepi is able to make a living off of that poo poo makes me sad.

They put time and money into creating entertainment for others. \why shouldn't they get paid for it? If Pewdiepi is able to make a living off it, then he must have something others don't in order to attract the hits.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Actually that's because the European and American divisions started having more of a say in how Sony operated their onlinegame stuff.

Ask Samurai Sanders, Japan's bizzare blindspot when it comes to the Internet being A Thing is fairly real.

It bears repeating here: NoA has to phone home to Japan when it wants to do ANYTHING. Marketing, what games get localized, who gets access to what from the gaming press, you name it. It's kinda amazing how restricted NoA is in their ability to influence the company's direction in the US. I understand why they are like this, but it's pretty hard to ignore the fact that SCEA basically helped turn the PS3 around in North America with some very aggressive marketing, and it was SCEA that drove the company towards ensuring games like Uncharted got put together for the system. NoA has nowhere near that level of autonomy allowed to them, and it shows. I'm pretty convinced that there are people in NoA who are VERY AWARE of the shortcomings of the Wii U's online services, but they get to say precisely jack poo poo about it, and even if they were allowed the input, NCL probably would not listen.

I know the joke here is that "Well, it is a Japanese company", but it's to the point where I'm convinced Nintendo actively goes out of their way to ignore the lessons being learned by the competition and ignore the advice that could potentially come from their branches outside of Japan. It's worked out well for them so far, at least until very recently. Of course, by "working out well" we mean "remaining profitable while their home consoles continued to sell fewer and fewer units than their competition with every hardware generation until the Wii, and fortunate that handheld competition was really only a thing during the time the PSP was Sony's main handheld".

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Iwata was just appointed CEO of NoA in the past few weeks, so that stuff is changing at least. Whether or not the American branch acting even more Japanese is a good thing, who the gently caress knows. At least now maybe they'll be dumb in a consistent way.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
How likely will WiiU early adopters get something similar to the ambassador program that Nintendo did for the 3DS? I haven't used mine since I got it (NSMBU, ZombiU) and I'm thinking of cutting my losses and selling it to upgrade to a 3DS XL.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

homeless snail posted:

Iwata was just appointed CEO of NoA in the past few weeks, so that stuff is changing at least. Whether or not the American branch acting even more Japanese is a good thing, who the gently caress knows. At least now maybe they'll be dumb in a consistent way.

If it means we get more of the Japanese games it can only be a good thing. There are a literal ton of people who missed out on the Dating Sim designed by Hideo Kojima on the SNES because it wasn't deemed fit for America.

It is however worth playing, it's also crazy and you need perfect timing for button presses....it also involves bombs too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jut posted:

They put time and money into creating entertainment for others. \why shouldn't they get paid for it? If Pewdiepi is able to make a living off it, then he must have something others don't in order to attract the hits.

They put money into it? If you are going to make money off of something someone else has created, at least do something interesting with it like MST3K. That dude has made a fortune from screaming like an idiot at crappy horror games.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Jut posted:

Yeah people playing games that they would have played anyway and putting dumb commentary over it is certainly worth a lot of money.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

O__O posted:

Yeah people playing games that they would have played anyway and putting dumb commentary over it is certainly worth a lot of money.

It isn't, which is why Nintendo 'cashing in' on all that 'sweet ad revenue' is as petty as it looks.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

fivegears4reverse posted:

It isn't, which is why Nintendo 'cashing in' on all that 'sweet ad revenue' is as petty as it looks.

Sorry for not being sarcastic enough.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
It's mindboggling that they knew about the issue with SKU confusion in June 2011 and did nothing about it.

quote:

“It's very strange,” muses Nintendo's Satoru Iwata. He refers to a troubling disconnect: the largely optimistic show-floor reaction to the unveiling of the Wii U device even as Nintendo's share prices dropped almost 10% to their lowest point in over five years. While Iwata is still confident that the Wii U can marry its predecessor's mass appeal with the hardcore cachet of the Nintendo of old, he admitted to Reuters that the console's unveiling could have gone better: “We should have made more effort to explain how it works.”

"We haven't made any kind of blunder,” Iwata insisted before explaining the blunder to London's Evening Standard: “I should have shown a single picture of the new console, then started talking about the controller. The console is not drastically different... [but] what Wii U will offer is very different. I believe we have the strong potential to change the entire format of videogames and of entertainment.”

Unfortunately, like the Wii and 3DS – possibly more so than either of those machines – the Wii U's potential isn't easily conveyed via screenshots or demo videos. Iwata criticized “those who are simply writing about it from wire stories and pictures,” insisting that “it is easy to get the mistaken impression that this is just a game console with a tablet. People who came to the presentation and tried it out have understood very well that it opens up a lot of new possibilities.”

http://www.gamesradar.com/e3-2011-iwata-admits-wii-u-unveiling-couldve-been-better/

zarron
Sep 1, 2005
I can't understand why some goons are getting mad at LP's. To me it's not different than say something like Mystery Science Theater. After all there are a ton of people getting paid for more ridiculous things.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

It's mindboggling that they knew about the issue with SKU confusion in June 2011 and did nothing about it.

http://www.gamesradar.com/e3-2011-iwata-admits-wii-u-unveiling-couldve-been-better/

That's just :psyduck: Seriously, if that's the case then why did they not IMMEDIATELY call up CNN when they had that report of it being a tablet for example?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zarron posted:

I can't understand why some goons are getting mad at LP's. To me it's not different than say something like Mystery Science Theater. After all there are a ton of people getting paid for more ridiculous things.

Mystery Science Theater has a ton of writing put into it before every episode, as well as production of interstitial segments to set everything up and establish characters, there really is no comparison at all.

quote:

Also, I'm pretty sure MST actually had the licenses to distribute the films that they covered.

Sometimes but for the most part they used films in the public domain as much as possible.

greatn fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Jut posted:

They put time and money into creating entertainment for others. \why shouldn't they get paid for it?

Because:
a) Investing time and money into something is not inherently worthy of compensation. I could spend years and thousands of dollars building a fortress out of cow manure and would still not deserve any money for it because a gigantic poo poo-castle has no value to anyone.
b) In 99% of all cases, the money and effort that an LPer puts toward making an LP doesn't approach even one percent of the money and effort the developer spent on making the original game.
c) This isn't about content creators receiving compensation for their efforts, this is about content creators having the right to decide who gets to use their content and how. Nintendo, as a content creator, has the right to set whatever arbitrary conditions they want for the use and distribution of their content. If you find their terms unreasonable, no one is forcing you to use content that you don't own.

Jut posted:

If Pewdiepi is able to make a living off it, then he must have something others don't in order to attract the hits.

If PewDiePie is so great at attracting hits, he can do so just as well without using content that belongs to someone else. If he can't, then clearly people are watching his videos because of the copyrighted content and he's profiting off of other people's work.

greatn posted:

Mystery Science Theater has a ton of writing put into it before every episode, as well as production of interstitial segments to set everything up and establish characters, there really is no comparison at all.

Also, I'm pretty sure MST actually had the licenses to distribute the films that they covered.

• Locked thread