Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ViggyNash posted:

If I want to get into Gundam, where should I start?

Watch the three original Mobile Suit Gudam series compilation movies, followed by the Turn A Gundam TV series (not the compilation movies). Possibly the other way round since Turn A is arguably the pinnacle of Gundam shows and you don't really need to know anything about the others to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The problem with that is Turn A is also basically nothing like any of the other shows.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

ViggyNash posted:

I'd strongly recommend The 08th MS Team, it's a little more realistic in it's presentation, the characters are bit more mature than most of the franchise the animation and art are top notch and most importantly it's not 50 episodes long.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ViggyNash posted:

The "classics" are the original movie trilogy, Zeta Gundam, and Char's Counterattack.

I'm not really sure if those are the best introduction, but a lot of people start with them at least. Personally, the only two I would wholly recommend are 08th MS Team and Turn A which are legitimately knock your socks off great but pretty dissimilar to a lot of the other material. I think you have to have a pretty high tolerance for old Tomino to get through the classics.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Just watch G Gundam.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He should wait until the end of his Gundam viewing to watch Turn A, since there's really nowhere to go but down from there.

linall
Feb 1, 2007
Honestly the best Gundam shows are the ones that are nothing like classic Gundam. G-Gundam and Turn A are literally the pinnacles of the whole thing. Probably because they don't fall into all the same goddamn pitfalls that every other Gundam show does. Turn A possibly just doesn't have any flaws. G-Gundam finds new and exciting ways (for Gundam anyway) to fail, while being awesome simply because it doesn't care.

08th MS Team is my personal favorite in the whole similar to other Gundams category. War in the Pocket is also fantastic if you don't mind a downer show.

linall fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 15, 2013

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
G Gundam is just so drat cheesy, ridiculous, yet somehow sincere that it's difficult not to enjoy it. It's like a proto-TTGL.

08th MS Team is great because it is literally a story about the guys that get blown to smithereens in the background of every battle scene in a normal Gundam series. And it is actually more interesting than the teenage prodigy mecha pilot that saves the universe.

Edit: Yeah, okay. I'm dumb.

Redcrimson fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 15, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
When suggesting a show to someone, why would you link to the literal finale as an example of how "awesomely cheesy" it is. Come on dude.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

When suggesting a show to someone, why would you link to the literal finale as an example of how "awesomely cheesy" it is. Come on dude.

Especially seeing as how that's not even in the top five cheesyiest moments of the show.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

If you watch ggundam I hope you like some idiot going "my super move! I need... Super move" For like a whole loving episode.

Check it out, since everyone here likes it for some reason, but its not really like anything that made gundam popular in the first place. Most of the characters are likable, and the lady has a battle leotard on at one point.

For actually gundam stuff, oc movies, + zeta tv series, + cca, then fill in as you like. Lots of people here like 0080 but I don't because children are awful, stardust memory has good animation, some crazy rear end fights, and a few really awful characters. Also maybe a little retconny if you care about that poo poo.

Years ago the forum was united in thinking 08th ms team was peak uc gundam, but at some point tho tone has shifted more negatively. I recommend it still, minus millers report.

Zz is basically a crazy fever dream after zeta, and the way later series are sort of optional though v has some cool (depressing) poo poo going. I haven't seen unicorn, but it looks goddamn nuts and I'm waiting for it.

Turn a is really excellent, if you can deal with not having tons of action up top its really good, sort of like a movie from the 70s.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Wow, that's a lot of suggestions.

Is there a consensus for the best starting point to enter the world of Gundam? The only episode I've ever seen of any Gundam was something I randomly found on TV about 7 or 8 years ago. It had something to do with a prison, and that's all I remember.

I'm gonna take Invictus's suggesting and wait on Turn A, and I probably wouldn't be able to handle the cheesiness of G Gundam if that clip is just average G Gundam.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Any reason Gundam Wing isn't getting any love? I understand its cheesy and all, but iirc isn't wing basically the series that got most US people into anime along with DBZ?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think most people here saw that when they were like 12. Gundam Wing got me interested in the idea, but I wasn't super up on Gundam until cartoon network started airing 0079. I was pissed when they didn't finish the run, it was like 1979 all over agaaaaaain

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wing is a great watch if you watch it dubbed, with some friends and beer!

Watching it any other way can be tedious. The show has aged poorly and it's not like it was amazing to begin with.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I love wing but its kind of the Adtrw gundam whipping boy next to seed.

That's what got me into gundam and its still my favorite, even if I like uc as a setting better.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Kingnothing posted:

Any reason Gundam Wing isn't getting any love? I understand its cheesy and all, but iirc isn't wing basically the series that got most US people into anime along with DBZ?

The problem with Gundam Wing is that it's poo poo. On top of having the most unlikable main character (also pretty much all the other characters suck too) in pretty much anything, they often reuse the same clips of Gundams destroying random mooks several times an episode. The only thing Wing has going for it is nostalgia from just about everyone catching an episode or two on Toonami at some point.

DamnGlitch posted:

Years ago the forum was united in thinking 08th ms team was peak uc gundam, but at some point tho tone has shifted more negatively. I recommend it still, minus millers report.

I would agree with this honestly. Sure it's just the Vietnam War with Gundams, but it's done really well.

linall fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 15, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The thing with 08th MS Team is that every part other than Shiro and Aina is pretty solid but Shiro and Aina are like 97% of the ova

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's not like any other Gundam besides Turn A had a good lead couple anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

It's not like any other Gundam besides Turn A had a good lead couple anyway.
Setsuna/Gundam. :colbert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ViggyNash posted:

I probably wouldn't be able to handle the cheesiness of G Gundam if that clip is just average G Gundam.

One of the Gundams is a windmill. A Windmill Gundam. From the Netherlands. Whose entire design is based around transforming into a windmill(with a Gundam V-fin on the top of it) so it can hide from the other competitors until there's only two left and sneak attack them for the victory. No, seriously.

There is a robot horse Gundam piloted by an actual horse. Neo Norway's Gundam is a Viking Gundam that plugs itself into the front of a giant Viking Longship to move around in water.

The show destroys The Statue of Liberty twice during its run, which I don't think has happened elsewhere in the history of media. One of which involves the torch being an apocalyptic superweapon that fires a gigantic laser beam. Also, all the major cities of the current day world are floating in space.

G Gundam is Peak Silliness, played completely straight.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

One of the Gundams is a windmill. A Windmill Gundam. From the Netherlands. Whose entire design is based around transforming into a windmill(with a Gundam V-fin on the top of it) so it can hide from the other competitors until there's only two left and sneak attack them for the victory. No, seriously.

There is a robot horse Gundam piloted by an actual horse. Neo Norway's Gundam is a Viking Gundam that plugs itself into the front of a giant Viking Longship to move around in water.

The show destroys The Statue of Liberty twice during its run, which I don't think has happened elsewhere in the history of media. One of which involves the torch being an apocalyptic superweapon that fires a gigantic laser beam. Also, all the major cities of the current day world are floating in space.

G Gundam is Peak Silliness, played completely straight.

G Gundam is a series that sounds ridiculous and fun on paper but is actually way less interesting than descriptions would have you believe. In my opinion, anyway.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

DamnGlitch posted:

G Gundam is a series that sounds ridiculous and fun on paper but is actually way less interesting than descriptions would have you believe. In my opinion, anyway.

Your opinion is wrong, G gundam is exactly as fun as "The mexico gundam has cactus armor, a sombrero, and a mustache" makes it sound.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DamnGlitch posted:

You are one of the few people who doesn't like G, and also one of the few who genuinely likes Wing, apparently after watching it recently and not floating along on nostalgia alone?

G ain't perfect and I'm not saying it is, but good lord, Wing is far lower on the quality ladder than it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

You are one of the few people who doesn't like G, and also one of the few who genuinely likes Wing, apparently after watching it recently and not floating along on nostalgia alone?

G ain't perfect and I'm not saying it is, but good lord, Wing is far lower on the quality ladder than it.

One of the few people in Adtrw, anyway. It's wing lovers and g gundam not likers in my circle of friends. Hardly hard evidence, but I've only ever felt like the odd man out about this here.

I still think he should check it out.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Your opinion is wrong, G gundam is exactly as fun as "The mexico gundam has cactus armor, a sombrero, and a mustache" makes it sound.

Don't forget "the America gundam is a surfer/football player/boxer".

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Is there a Scottish Gundam?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't think Japan knows that Scotland is a Thing That Exists.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Naoki Urasawa knows about Scotland. :(

There's a Master Keaton episode set here, and one of the robots in Pluto is from Scotland.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Never really cared for G Gundam either, just thought it was sort of boring. :shobon: Wing is absolutely trash though! But hey, not like it hurts to check out an episode of G or W or whatever if you haven't seen them and see if you like them.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Wing wasn't anywhere near as bad as AGE. I had almost forgotten AGE ever existed till the mention of "trash gundam shows", so glad the Turn A simulwatch happened right after AGE ended, it was the perfect brain bleach.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

One of the few people in Adtrw, anyway. It's wing lovers and g gundam not likers in my circle of friends. Hardly hard evidence, but I've only ever felt like the odd man out about this here.

I still think he should check it out.

Am I the only one that at least a little bit likes both?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Never really cared for G Gundam either, just thought it was sort of boring. :shobon: Wing is absolutely trash though! But hey, not like it hurts to check out an episode of G or W or whatever if you haven't seen them and see if you like them.

This basically sums up my feelings, I tried watching G Gundam because the thread is generally very positive on it and it was just boring as poo poo and campy as all hell.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Is there a Scottish Gundam?

This is as close as it gets.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I really like Imagawa but G Gundam is definitely not his absolute best work by any stretch.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Rule number X of the internet: if you suggest someone is one of few who like/dislike something, a others will pop up out of nowhere to MAKE SURE YOU KNOW that they stand together in their like/dislike of (thing)!

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Back again to take advantage of your fabulous suggestions. Thought I would be even more thorough this time around by listing the breadth of my experience with anime thus far to avoid being recommended stuff I've seen and maybe ascertain better, more accurate, recommendations. I did go through the wiki to see what is recommended for many of the animes listed below also.

Couldn't get through and/or didn't enjoy: Kaichou wa Maid-sama, Mahoromatic, Gundam SEED, .Hack//Sign, Kare Kano - His and Her Circumstances, Kanon, Onegai Teacher, Excel Saga, Onegai Twins, Fruits Basket, Card Captor Sakura

Liked: Highschool of the Dead, Noir, Black Lagoon, Golden Boy, Scryed, Afro Samurai, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Galaxy Express 999, Hoshi No Koe, Saikano, Jin Roh: Wolf Brigade

Really Liked: Mobile Suit Gundam - The 08th MS Team, Haibane Renmei, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, Trigun, Baccano!, Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Now and Then Here and There, Azumanga Daioh, Wolf's Rain, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Rurouni Kenshin OVAs, Serial Experiments Lain

Loved: Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, K-On, Toradora, FLCL, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Rebuild of Evangelion, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi

Suggestions so far:
Michiko to Hatchin - premise just doesn't grab me
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - plan to give it a try but don't think it's what I'm looking for right now
Seirei no Moribito - started, enjoying for the action and female protagonist but the plot itself has yet to really engage me
Steins;Gate - debating between the virtual novel and anime, will get around to eventually
Legend of Galactic Heroes - daunting but understand the appeal and plan to try at some point
Fate/Zero - universe seems a bit over the top but am told the story is worth it so it is on the list

What I loved about the animes I listed(notable expceptions being Toradora and K-On obviously) are the following:
-mysterious pasts that you learn about over the length of the show
-interesting and complex characters
-smooth over-arcing plot that doesn't always dominate the story but has some substance to it
-good balance between comedy, action and emotional moments
-gorgeous artwork
-mature themes
-great music

Levin fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 19, 2013

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Corte posted:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - plan to give it a try but don't think it's what I'm looking for right now

Is what you're looking for right now something terrible that you won't enjoy? Because if so, then you're right, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is not what you're looking for right now.

If, however, you're looking for something that hits every bullet point on your list of things you liked, then you should be watching it.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Corte posted:

What I loved about the animes I listed(notable expceptions being Toradora and K-On obviously) are the following:
-smooth over-arcing plot that doesn't always dominate the story but has some substance to it
-gorgeous artwork
-mature themes

Try House of Five Leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Corte posted:

-gorgeous artwork
-mature themes

Kino's Journey
Shigofumi

• Locked thread