Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
My favorite tactic is to play chicken and dodge into them. This usually screws with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bzdega2
Feb 22, 2004
What the deuce?
I just applied to the guild as a priest. Hooray healing.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

WanderingKid posted:

It should be a disclaimer that pops up on your screen in massive orange text when you smash the solo queue button.
The BG is a flaming pile of poo poo for sure, between its cluttered unintuitive flow, the invincibility escape moat, and the poor design of having a capture and control game mode with teams of 15 and only 3 flags. The only time I've had anything approximating fun in there was in the equalized queue, and of course those were limited time only because....they were enjoyable?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

BGs are fun when you have a VM premade where a single gigaleash+fireblast oneshots the enemy team.

1 more quill, 1 more vitriol, 20-30 more wins, 1 more nexus and the Orbicular design and I can join in on the fun!!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
The PVP gear gap being worse than it was in wow doesn't help a lot. Crafting the best PVP gear from PVE components has always been a poor choice in any mmo interested in fairness of competition.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!
It also wouldn't be so bad if the prices on everything weren't so inflated, 150-300k for a design is just retarded considering you are going to use it once and you cannot craft for other players. It really should be something that you buy from a vendor for points.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

I want to try out this game, but just had a few questions: Can PvP satisfy me in this game? Is it anything like the hardcore arena scene in World of Warcraft back in Burning Crusade/Wrath of the Lich King? How bad is the Berserker? The idea of that class really attracts me to it.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 17, 2013

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

The arena scene is there, but is impossible to get into without endgame gear which takes ages to grind (Conjunct) or ages and shitloads of money (VM)

E: zerkers are good roll a zerker.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

KaneTW posted:

The arena scene is there, but is impossible to get into without endgame gear which takes ages to grind (Conjunct) or ages and shitloads of money (VM)

E: zerkers are good roll a zerker.

Cool, going to roll with a Berserker then. On a scale of 1 to 10, how bad is the gear grind compared with World of Warcraft? As it was pretty bad there as well.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I never played WoW so I can't tell. It basically involves standard Korean MMO enchanting/luxing (praying to the RNG gods) which boils down to making money. How you make money is another question.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

KaneTW posted:

I never played WoW so I can't tell. It basically involves standard Korean MMO enchanting/luxing (praying to the RNG gods) which boils down to making money. How you make money is another question.

Ah ok, fair enough. As long as the Auction House works, I'll be okay. Thanks for the help!

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

Seditiar posted:

Cool, going to roll with a Berserker then. On a scale of 1 to 10, how bad is the gear grind compared with World of Warcraft? As it was pretty bad there as well.

The grind for decent gear has been nerfed multiple times already. What took weeks to get before takes a single day now. Arguably the best gear, Vision Maker, is still hard to get as parts of it still depends on a very low drop rate that has remained unchanged.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
Although you don't need Visionmaker IMHO. Abyss or (if you want to save up) Regent, will be more than sufficient.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Warrior, Slayer, and Archer share the same equipment, so do their armors look the same on the same race? I'm gonna make an alt for a change of pace, and I'd rather my gear look a little different while I'm doing it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can I apply for my girlfriend? She isn't a goon, but she was the one who convinced me to play this game in the first place.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Mewnie posted:

Although you don't need Visionmaker IMHO. Abyss or (if you want to save up) Regent, will be more than sufficient.

Of course you don't need it. But when you're farming MCHM you have nothing else to do with your money.

E: posting at 6AM or whatever is bad and I hosed up that sentence

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 17, 2013

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Hyperactive posted:

Warrior, Slayer, and Archer share the same equipment, so do their armors look the same on the same race?

Yes. Either pick a different armor class (metal/cloth) or pick a different race if you want a different look.

Pooptimus Prime
Jun 12, 2005

Need I remind you!? The foolish receive no mercy...

Hyperactive posted:

Warrior, Slayer, and Archer share the same equipment, so do their armors look the same on the same race? I'm gonna make an alt for a change of pace, and I'd rather my gear look a little different while I'm doing it.

These should help:
http://www.teratemplates.com/index.html
http://tera-online.cc/gallery/races/

Saved me from ever rolling a female Castanic or female Human for any class. Their armors are just atrocious, in my opinion. Especially human cloth. What the gently caress?

Also, next time someone comes in asking about why they should avoid EU servers, direct them to this: https://forum.tera-europe.com/showthread.php?t=179540

Summary: They added the maid costumes, but ONLY in RNG boxes - no bundles or anything like our server got. The funny thing? They forgot to make the maid costumes a functional drop in the boxes. So hundreds of people spent hundreds of dollars on a box with zero chance to deliver the maid outfits/emotes. Some people were simply not receiving items when they purchased them, as well (rather than them sending you boxes like we get, you would receive a random item in your item claim, so you can't even use the RNG boxes to make money on broker). When they did finally fix it, it turned out that those void boxes were *sometimes* maid items - BUT usually rental (as apparently putting rental skins in a box and pre-opening them into item claim without making it clear that this was how it would be done was a good idea) and even the perm versions can't even be removed from item claim if you're not an Elin, meaning that the only players who can even sell the maid items are Elin players. Overall, a massive clusterfuck that makes our current controversy over the Icegrip RNG look heavenly in comparison.

It displays either breathtaking incompetence or calculated greed-based dishonesty. Either way, a company I wouldn't want to be involved with even as a non-cash player.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

^ Welp, I rolled a human priest on a European server. :doh: With this and some other goon's guild leader being IP banned in Europe likely because of persisting on an issue, I'm now seriously thinking of rerolling on an US server - I've avoided goon guilds till' now though, sometimes I doubt if I'm thick-skinned enough to stand goons.

...At least my priest is only 41 :shrug:
...I even gave some of my money to GameForge (sub, as useless as it is)

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

We're pretty harmless. Mostly.

Ottumon
Dec 20, 2012

Dessel posted:

^ Welp, I rolled a human priest on a European server. :doh: With this and some other goon's guild leader being IP banned in Europe likely because of persisting on an issue, I'm now seriously thinking of rerolling on an US server - I've avoided goon guilds till' now though, sometimes I doubt if I'm thick-skinned enough to stand goons.

...At least my priest is only 41 :shrug:
...I even gave some of my money to GameForge (sub, as useless as it is)

Apparently it was not (or maybe it was? Gameforge certainly isn't giving any answers) an IP ban but this issue. After the latest patch the unexplained "User authentication failed" -error changed into an "Account missing" error[/url] after a patch that supposedly restricts new players from some Eastern countries from playing. However, it seems to block not only new players from these areas but old players too. Oh, and there's occasional Europeans complaining in the thread. My guild leader is Swedish. The best part is that the people with this issue are unable to log in on the site proper, and thus cannot even send a support ticket. After this and the pay shop fiasco I started downloading the NA client. I am going to leave this sinking ship I shouldn't have paid to get on in the first place.

I can't stress this enough. Stop seriously thinking about it, and reroll right now. You will regret it if you don't.

Linstar
Apr 21, 2010
Yessss come play with us on the NA server!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Can anyone tell me how I'm supposed to use the berzerker's staggering strike glyph, "blazing staggering strike"? It says, "Speeds casting for Thunder Strike the next skill in the chain." I figured it meant I needed to set up a chain that went Staggering Strike > Thundering Strike but this is not a thing that can be done apparently since staggering blow is not a trigger skill.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Whenever you have a Blazing glyph slotted, when you use the glyphed skill, you get a short buff that will reduce the casting time for the second skill. It doesn't require you to make an explicit chain.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

The Chairman posted:

Whenever you have a Blazing glyph slotted, when you use the glyphed skill, you get a short buff that will reduce the casting time for the second skill. It doesn't require you to make an explicit chain.

Hmm alright thanks. I guess the difference just wasn't noticeable, which is probably a good reason to ignore it, at least for now, in favor of more straightforward boosts.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

So, I have a question about the game.

My girlfriend and I started playing just as something to do when we're bored, but we really got into the incredibly fun combat and thought, hey even if it's a grind, if we get bored, we can quit and there was no money in it. Risk free fun.

Well, we've been following the storyline of the game. Yeah, yeah, I know, the story is terrible, but it had it's moments of "This is a terrible anime and really over-the-top but it's fun".

We're both Level 48 and have gotten to the point where we need to head into the Golden Labyrinth. From what I can tell, this is where the difficulty of the game takes it's huge leap up. And I want to know what we're doing wrong. When we quest together, while certain enemies can be a bit challenging (Like enemies that take off most of my health in a few hits occasionally) I expect that as we get to higher level and harder areas. We still manage to complete all the non-instanced dungeons' quests and can do group battles together. When we did instances before, things generally went smoothly, everyone contributed, we beat bosses, did optional stuff, it was fun.

But suddenly things took a turn for the worse in Golden Labyrinth. Now, I know that PUGs are always horrible in every way. So I know that the horrible attitude of the healer and tank spending the whole dungeon calling me and my girlfriend retards, telling us we suck, just using vague insults like "noob", etc. I know that's all common.

See, the bosses weren't going down fast enough. The tank couldn't keep aggro on any of the mobs at all, I don't know if that's normal for the dungeon, and he said he didn't know why that was happening. Okay, fair enough. It was one of those things where a bunch of mobs would be fighting him, then a few would rush over to me, the Sorcerer, and kill me in one hit. My girlfriend plays a Slayer, so she isn't as squishy.

But the bosses were taking an incredibly long time to kill, and eventually everyone died on each run. The healer and tank turned on me, my girlfriend, and a Warrior that didn't say much, just tried to take aggro on mobs that the tank lost control of. They said that we were just retarded and didn't do enough damage. And blamed me for dying in one hit to bosses. But, the thing is, I'm not sure how I"m supposed to get better. I asked what it was I could do to improve, they just said something like "Omg are u kidding me, attack a single target its not hard retard"

At level 48, am I supposed to be remembering DPS rotations like WoW? Is there something I'm doing wrong causing enemies to kill me in one hit in dungeons? I use my most high-damaging spells and keep my Mana and health up as much as possible. Yet, I'm not sure how much was the healer and tank's fault, as they did things like constantly berate party members, not keep aggro on anything, and run into boss battles before everyone was at full health / stamina.

Our gearscore was listed as something like 105, when the recommended gearscore for the dungeon was in the 90's, so I don't think we were undergeared.

What I'm wondering is two things:

1. Was I doing something horribly wrong?
2. How can I improve? I know nothing about what I'm even supposed to do for DPS besides "nuke stuff", and didn't think there was anything more to it.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Well, at level 48, you should have Burst of Celerity, which is utterly game-changing for Sorcerers. Use that and then proceed to use all of your spells. All of them.

Do you have glyphs? Are you trying to attack minibosses/bosses from behind to do more damage? Are you backing off when the tank loses aggro so he can get it back again? I hope this is an obvious question, but are you keeping up with leveling your skills every level?

e: Also, Always Be Fireblasting. Fireblast is incredible and is your highest damage spell. Make sure you find openings and use it instead of lovely spells you shouldn't be bothering with, like flame pillar, which puts you in entirely too much danger to be worth using at all.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 19, 2013

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
Hailstorm is not to be discounted! It does more damage than fireblast IMO- especially once you get the carving glyph for Arcane Pulse. Drop Hailstorm, launch AP, watch the crits fly :getin:

e: Oh yeah, and the trash in Golden Labyrinth is notorious for their wonky aggro- They seem to have two aggro lists, and flip between the two constantly. Hence why tanks new to that instance have fits wondering why they lose aggro so much.

All I can really reccomend is stay out of the way of the fatties, as their belly flop HURTS. If you're melee DPS, just try to keep to their back as much as you can.

Mewnie fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 19, 2013

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I'm going to say it was probably the pubbie's fault. Here's a video on Sorcerer that is a bit outdated, but the general gist should still be okay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i8S-M2arBg

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.
Proper DPS rotations will help, but at level 48 it will be much more useful to have a good weapon (either some yellow +6, or the BoP one from Sigil Adstringo) with the right crystals (Acrimonious, Focused, Mutinous, Savage). This will make your damage skyrocket as you'll be doing something insane like 5x or 6x normal damage on a backcrit. In terms of glyphs, focus on mana cost reduction and cooldowns over pure damage increases, with Burst of Celerity it becomes ridiculously easy to burn through all your mana. The most basic rule for DPS rotations as a sorc is that you pretty much always want to start your rotation with a Fireblast (Empowered and with the Shock Trap power glyph preferably) so you can squeeze in a second one just before Burst of Celerity runs out.

Golden Labyrinth is notorious for being the first dungeon to extensively use the secondary aggro mechanic on both normal mobs and bosses, which basically means that even when the tank keeps full aggro, the mobs will sometimes use a couple of attacks on a different, temporary target (signified by a red icon with a closed eye). As a sorc your entire deal is that you're a huge glass cannon, so as soon as you notice any kind of aggro on you, your job is to stop DPSing and run the hell away, using your slows and CC to keep the mobs off you. It's possible to mitigate some damage by running 4x anarchic crystals in your armor (boss damage reduction) so you don't get oneshot, but on the whole, get used to abusing the hell out of Backstep.

Tensei fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 19, 2013

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Like others have said, Golden Labyrinth is your intro to really paying attention to secondary aggro mechanics, and boy is it some intro. If you haven't been paying attention to the eyeball icon that pops up above your head or the glowing blue circle that appear at your feet, you'll start noticing them now. Bosses will pick random people to target and many trash mobs will ping pong to the farthest target away from them. Often that means either the sorc or the healer. And yeah, they hit hard enough to 1 or 2 shot you. Stuns and knockdowns stop these secondary attacks dead in their tracks so having Warriors, Slayers and Lancers that liberally throw out their stun attacks starts helping a lot more.

Don't despair too much though. GL is a pain in the rear end at lvl 48. You'll find that pretty much every dungeon after it will not be as bad in the sense that everything 1 shots you. Even getting to level 50 will help scale the damage down quite a lot if you have the patience to wait a couple more levels.

Linstar
Apr 21, 2010
Just going to leave this little tidbit here

http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/general-discussion/topics/Worst-Design-History-of-MMO-Vanarchs-can-disable-PVP-on-a-PVP-server

One of my favorites "Dragongod Knightkings ... and Crowd the vanarch of arcadia worst guild and GM in the history of MMO. Signed about 10,000 players on Mount Tyrannas ... go play on a weenie server if you wanna pve."

Join us on the NA servers!

Linstar fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 19, 2013

Pooptimus Prime
Jun 12, 2005

Cartoon Violence posted:

What I'm wondering is two things:

1. Was I doing something horribly wrong?
2. How can I improve? I know nothing about what I'm even supposed to do for DPS besides "nuke stuff", and didn't think there was anything more to it.

All I can suggest is that you make sure you're keeping up with your gear - generally using blues or golds if you can afford it/get lucky with drops, enchanting if you have the money, making sure you have the correct crystals and glyphs. You say that your gear is fine, but if it's taking you forever to kill things as a slayer and a sorc, something seems wrong. I usually PUG dungeons/bams while leveling, and unless someone is really, actively being horrible, bosses go down really fast if you have a full party. Somebody has to be undergeared, underglyphed, or just plain doing something dumb for things to take a long time. For what it's worth, the only time I've ever been in a PUG and had people get angry at a DPS, it's because they were doing something actively stupid (hi, Baraka slayer that thought the best place to position himself during BAM fights was directly in front of the lancer).

The link to the sorc video guide above is helpful, I'd also visit these:
http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/sorcerer/topics/Guide-Yoshas-Sorcerer-Guide
http://tera-forums.enmasse.com/forums/slayer/topics/GUIDE-Brolys-Slayer-Guide

With TERA, it makes runs go a lot more smoothly if the DPS pay attention. Just because you're not the tank or the healer, it doesn't mean that you get a free pass to ignore everything and just spam skills. Like other people said, learn to recognize secondary aggro tells (the symbols above your head, the different rings below your feet) and if you, as a sorc, get aggro - use teleport, glacial retreat and backstep to evade, maybe or even time gyre to interrupt or ice needle to slow (if you are far enough away ofc) until the tank can get aggro back. Ignoring this and continuing to spam spells will probably result in you getting KO'ed, and that's DPS lost while someone revives you (and if it's the healer reviving, they have to waste time reviving you rather than making sure the rest of the party is okay). Sorcs will steal aggro even from a good tank if we're properly geared, so you need to learn how to survive even if your tank isn't flawless, has their battle cry on cd, or you're in a run like GL where aggro mechanics are wonky.

Also, you're hitting the point where a lot of dungeons have specific mechanics to force you to pay attention. I'd recommend reading the walkthroughs on the website before you guys queue for new instances, so you don't end up doing something dumb like going without a holy potion into Akasha's Hideout or getting yourself exploded by the super-telegraphed ranged attacks of one of the sub-bosses in LoT, getting disintegrated by the big flame laser when you're fighting Killian, etc etc etc.

Also: bring your own heal pots, nostrums, revival scrolls, charms, battle panacea/arunic panacea etc. It's good to be prepared, and pay attention to your health or any debuffs you might get. If the healer is being attacked and you're low on HP, use a pot. If you have a debuff, note that mystic motes have a cleansing effect as well as a heal over time. If the rest of the party doesn't want to sit around at a campfire mid-run waiting for you to regen stamina after you've died, that's exactly what those arunic and battle panaceas are for.

Since you're a sorc, you want to be able to use your skills as much as possible, so the cooldown nostrums are great. Also, it's worthwhile to read your skills and make sure you use any chains that allow longer-casting skills to activate faster. For example, the difference in activation time between a clean warrior blade draw and a blade draw comboed from traverse cut is VERY noticeable. Using those sorts of things can allow you to just add more dps, which it sounds like you're having trouble with.

Also, try to position yourself behind the boss - the only person who should be in front of a BAM is the tank. I have a lancer, and it's one of my biggest annoyances when I get a DPS who seems to think it's a brilliant idea to try and stand on my face. If you're in the range of his frontal AoE area, there is really nothing the tank can do to save you from your own stupidity. Tanking annoyances aside, there are also numerous crystals that increase crit damage if you're attacking from behind, so you need to pay attention to the BAM and position yourself accordingly.

Basically, don't be one of those lazy DPS who just hit random skills while their eyes are glazed over. Other party members can tell the difference and they'll be annoyed and sometimes they'll express it pretty rudely, as you've learned.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Wow, I never expected such a quick, detailed, and awesome response. That's why I always go to goons first. :unsmith:

Some of the stuff listed here I was doing, some I partially knew about, but a lot I was utterly clueless about how to do best, so I'm just glad I got this wake up call before we hit 60. While I can't assure anyone that we were doing perfect, I can at least say we weren't doing anywhere near as best as we could, we were not doing anything like getting in the tank's / mob's face to DPS or standing in one spot getting hit by big AOE's. Is there an efficient way to get more healing potions or stamina purple potions? I use them when I can in dungeons, but it seems they aren't sold by vendors, and I think the ones on the market were asking hundreds of gold, unless I'm remembering wrong?

I'm glad that I was right that Sorcerers are supposed to be glass cannons. Honestly, I was confused when the healer was angry not at the amount of times I died or that I was being attacked, but that I should've been taking less damage when I was hit? Maybe they just phrased themselves wrong in their rage of typing angrily during a boss fight.

All of the advice here was fantastic! Some of it was stuff I kind of had an idea about, while the rest just made me slap my forehead for not realizing it sooner. For example, I've always put on Weapon and Armor crystals, but I think the ones I'd been using were pretty garbage compared to what I could be using. And, yeah, I noticed the flame pillar (Or "Hell Wall" as I called it) got less and less useful as time went on.

A quick question about one of my spells: I'm not sure which spell is the giant orb that slowly moves in front of me, but is that spell useful at all? Every time I used it, the amount of time it took to charge up, compared with the Mana cost, and the fact that enemies moving just the slightest bit to the side would see it glide helplessly past them, made me believe it was completely useless except in PVP where a bunch of players are clustered in melee. Was I just doing it wrong?

I'll definitely practice on everything stated here and read up more on the dungeon before we try again! Thanks again for all of the help and being understanding, everyone!

Oh, and one more thing. Is there any advice I should pass on to my girlfriend? She's a Slayer and hasn't died as much as me and takes a punch way better than me, but I noticed my damage output is easily higher than her. Is that normal as well?

EDIT - I'm a dummy and didn't see the Slayer guide linked above. Thanks again, everyone, I"ll show her that! :)

Pooptimus Prime
Jun 12, 2005

Cartoon Violence posted:

I'm glad that I was right that Sorcerers are supposed to be glass cannons. Honestly, I was confused when the healer was angry not at the amount of times I died or that I was being attacked, but that I should've been taking less damage when I was hit? Maybe they just phrased themselves wrong in their rage of typing angrily during a boss fight.

The healer was probably annoyed that you weren't evading enough, yeah. For sorcs it's a matter of AVOIDING being hit altogether if possible. We have three evasion moves plus slows and interrupts precisely to help us take less hits.

Also, if the healer was a mystic, they tend to get really mad when DPS don't pick up their balls. Learn to love balls, thanks.

Cartoon Violence posted:

Is there an efficient way to get more healing potions or stamina purple potions? I use them when I can in dungeons, but it seems they aren't sold by vendors, and I think the ones on the market were asking hundreds of gold, unless I'm remembering wrong?

Heal/mana pots are very easy to craft. Just keep up with gathering and pop into the alchemy lab in Velika every so often to buy new recipes. Essence gathering (essence of lightning, wind, etc) is for mana pots, plants are for heal pots. It's WAY cheaper to just make them yourself. You can also make savagery (crit power) and swift (attack speed) scrolls (and others, but those are the two generally recommended for dps from what I've seen) from mining materials.

Battle panaceas are from specialty merchants, nostrums are from normal merchants. I'd also recommend grabbing infused (mp regen, will help your gf and you), power and enduring charms (the cheap ones) from specialty merchants and just popping them until you get greater/major ones activated. You can also go back and one-shot farm lowbie BAMs for arunics.

Cartoon Violence posted:

A quick question about one of my spells: I'm not sure which spell is the giant orb that slowly moves in front of me, but is that spell useful at all? Every time I used it, the amount of time it took to charge up, compared with the Mana cost, and the fact that enemies moving just the slightest bit to the side would see it glide helplessly past them, made me believe it was completely useless except in PVP where a bunch of players are clustered in melee. Was I just doing it wrong?

You're talking about arcane pulse... at low levels it's fine, but once you get celerity it tends to get dumped since its animation can't be sped up so it eats more celerity time than it's worth. Most higher level sorcs I've questioned say they only use it for the crit buff glyph - this is detailed in the guide I linked, IIRC.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
We dont get mad when you don't pick up balls. :( We get mad when you are more than 22 metres away from us and running in the opposite direction.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

If you have any more questions regarding Slayer PVE or Sorc PVP (well PVE too probably but I'm mostly doing PVP there), ask me when I'm online (Crowd/Slashu/Esthi are the 3 characters I usually play) or PM me or whatever.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

I've only played an Archer so far. Just hit level 45 last night. I'd heard from the start that Archers were pretty lacking. But, y'know, people whine about the performance of every class in every MMO, so whatever. And, okay, fights were getting harder as I got into the 40s, but that's how these things go, right?

Then while running some quests with my guild, the sorc was OBLITERATING things so fast I could hardly get one shot in. And it was against mobs I knew it'd take two or three attack rotations for me to solo. And I'd be looking at taking 20% damage minimum unless I got lucky on crits and evasions. But he was blasting through them about as fast as I can taken out minions.

But, okay, one DPS class is better than another. I can handle that.

Then, later, I teamed with one of our priests. He was nuking things so hard I was just there for charity.

We're all the same level.

:(

This alleged Archer DPS boost patch can't come soon enough.

Linstar
Apr 21, 2010

Hyperactive posted:

I've only played an Archer so far. Just hit level 45 last night. I'd heard from the start that Archers were pretty lacking. But, y'know, people whine about the performance of every class in every MMO, so whatever. And, okay, fights were getting harder as I got into the 40s, but that's how these things go, right?

Then while running some quests with my guild, the sorc was OBLITERATING things so fast I could hardly get one shot in. And it was against mobs I knew it'd take two or three attack rotations for me to solo. And I'd be looking at taking 20% damage minimum unless I got lucky on crits and evasions. But he was blasting through them about as fast as I can taken out minions.

But, okay, one DPS class is better than another. I can handle that.

Then, later, I teamed with one of our priests. He was nuking things so hard I was just there for charity.

We're all the same level.

:(

This alleged Archer DPS boost patch can't come soon enough.

Yeah I thought I was doing fine until I started to witness what other classes can do. That and getting turned down from groups for being an archer led me to start a beserker. Another tidbit I found really annoying was that your mobility is kind of an illusion. Yeah you have a backstep and breakaway bolt but they're basically used to get out of aoes and such because you move so slow from sniper eye.

This is all pve though and in pvp archers are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Decided to give this a shot and rerolled a berserker on the right server. Sent a guild application. The beginning area is a bit boring, but it's going a lot faster than the mystic.

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 20, 2013

• Locked thread