Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
It really doesn't matter whether the profitability of LP videos are morally justifiable or not. The point is that Nintendo's decision on the matter doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering how little that advertising money is worth to them in the grand scheme of things, and it along with several other things already posted is really indicative of how badly they're handling the Wii U in terms of marketing.

As someone said earlier, it could be pointing to them planning on implementing a recording feature the likes of which the PS4 is going to have, but if it's anything other than that fairly unlikely scenario, I'm really wondering what Nintendo is thinking here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

miscellaneous14 posted:

I'm really wondering what Nintendo is thinking here.

Lawyer: They are monetizing your content unauthorized on a platform that you are part of. If you go to court to stop someone from monetizing your content for a non-related reason, their defense will use that argument against you and you'll lose the case. You have to step in now.

How's that? It's not hard to figure out that their reasoning to do that is related with protecting their rights. Between copyright, trademark, and patents laws all forcing one to protect what is theirs, leaving a big loophole like unauthorized monetized videos out there wouldn't be a smart move as opposed to, what, lose the goodwill of three of four people from Youtube? The fact this happened now is a coincidence and nothing to do with the U.

Also, it's true the U's online is terrible and, yes, Sony seems to be doing the smart thing with that SHARE EVERYTHING, but neither of those cases justify allowing monetization of own's content by unauthorized third parties. Nintendo seems perfectly fine with LPs if they follow certain rules regarding length and no monetization.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

LPs can be fair use in which case explicit permission is not required to use copyrighted content. I say "can be" because there are some basic ground rules, and not all LPs qualify. Also, Youtube generally asks specifically for explicit permission to cover their rear end (though it's not required with certain guidelines). There are developers that want people to make money for monetizing their game content, such as Valve, Blizzard, Doublefine, Relogic. Klei, etc. These are all PC devs, though. And PC has a long history of speed runs and .dem recordings, going wayyyyyy back.

Nintendo clearly feels differently, and I don't really know how they police Nico Douga but maybe it's similar over there. Microsoft is also against monetization, which they put clearly and plainly in their FAQ (although it only applies to Microsoft Games Studio titles). Sony is the only one who hasn't clarified their position yet. If I had to guess, it will be like PC where it comes down to what the individual developer is okay with. I think there's a rumor that developers will be able to block some content from being recorded, so they have control over it, and people won't be able to just record a full length game.

I still think what they're doing is the precursor to something else, but we may not hear about it until E3. If they want everyone to go to their channel, good luck. I think their channel has a fourth of the subscribers of game grumps. So a nintendo direct gets as much traffic as two dudes talking about weiners while they play sonic 06.

e: editted to remove redundant poo poo I've said a billion times.

quote:

No, no they can't. Fair use is absurdly restrictive in what it allows you to do -- certainly not an one hour long video of nothing but direct footage from a commercial game, which is what most video LPs are. Video LPs fall under fan works which have always been a gray area, much like fan art, fan music, fan games, etc, etc. Some companies don't mind it at all, especially Nintendo. It's when you try to monetize that stuff that the lawyers start getting all sweaty.
I editted it out because people are now getting on my case for restating things over and over, but longplays are against Youtubes TOS in the first place and shouldn't even be on there. What I'm referring to is something like Continue Show which edits their footage down to a few minutes per game and provides commentary and a simple grading system, which is no different than something like Ebert & Roeper. Someone breaking up a full game into 30 15-minute videos is not what I'm referring to. I dunno why someone would watch a full play through like that anyway, shrug.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 19, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

LPs can be fair use in which case explicit permission is not required to use copyrighted content.

No, no they can't in most circumstances. Fair use is absurdly restrictive in what it allows you to do -- certainly not an one hour long video of nothing but direct footage from a commercial game, which is what most video LPs are. Video LPs fall under "fan works" which have always been a gray area, much like fan art, fan music, fan games, etc, etc. Some companies don't mind it at all, including Nintendo. It's when you try to monetize that stuff that the lawyers start getting all sweaty, going all "uh oh, that poo poo is going to bite us in the rear end if we don't warn our bosses right the loving now".

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
So, how about that Wii U? I heard it wasn't doing too well.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AngryCaterpillar posted:

So, how about that Wii U? I heard it wasn't doing too well.

The short answer is that we don't know and it will depend on how well (or poorly) Microsoft and Sony do.

Speaking for Microsoft, but if their video game division is run like the rest of the company (minus Office I guess) I would expect the latter scenario.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Both Sony and Microsoft did spectacularly bad at last E3 and, surprisingly enough, that attitude seems to have carried on throughout the year as Sony had no idea what to do with its Vita console and Microsoft focused on making the "Xbox experience" even worse for its users and developers, losing a lot of good will. If the two companies play their cards right, they will certainly bury the U, which is on life support at the moment -- if they don't, however, they may give enough time for Nintendo to come up with a miracle. Who knows? We can be here all day pointing out the issues with the U, but pre-E3 and even pre-holiday season nobody knows for sure what will happen to it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't know why we are worried about Microsoft and Sony, they both have the advantage of knowing how to market their consoles. Plus very strong exclusives and Call of Duty Ghosts might be next gen only. Both consoles are going to sell really well. The last year didn't matter because everyone is done supporting this current gen. Well except for Sony for some strange reason, but it's Sony and it worked for the PS2, so why not, Is probably what they are thinking.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Both Sony and Microsoft did spectacularly bad at last E3 and, surprisingly enough, that attitude seems to have carried on throughout the year as Sony had no idea what to do with its Vita console and Microsoft focused on making the "Xbox experience" even worse for its users and developers, losing a lot of good will. If the two companies play their cards right, they will certainly bury the U, which is on life support at the moment -- if they don't, however, they may give enough time for Nintendo to come up with a miracle. Who knows? We can be here all day pointing out the issues with the U, but pre-E3 and even pre-holiday season nobody knows for sure what will happen to it.
I wonder how having pre-E3 events to reveal their console will impact their E3 presentations, for good and bad. I only barely remember the 2005 E3, but most of what was shown was not even legit footage of games.

Ubisoft is the only one in Nintendos corner this year, so their keynote may be the only time you hear about Wii U outside of the Nintendo Direct that week. Nintendos announcements are going to have to be strong enough to pierce through the mountain of everyone else's announcements and reveals.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 19, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wonder how having pre-E3 events to reveal their console will impact their E3 presentations, for good and bad.

I don't think it'll matter for Sony, but for Micrsoft it will be a big deal. Sony screwed up because they didn't keep their hype train going. They revealed too early in the year, which isn't really a bad thing, unless you stop releasing bits of information in between, which is what they did. Microsoft's timing is just right. I was worried about them not revealing last month, but now I see why they decided to do it next week, just a few weeks away from E3.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its Ubisoft, you know they're going to have a pile of flawed but endearing PS4/Xbox launch titles to hock during their conference. No matter what Nintendo would do they'd get gently caress all E3 traction this year.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

I wonder how having pre-E3 events to reveal their console will impact their E3 presentations, for good and bad.

I think it's a great idea. It lets them give the basic info and focus on the hardware at those events, and then show games games games at E3.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Let's drop the stupid LP debate going on here, it's adding nothing to the thread. Points have been made, people can base their opinion on what's been brought up so far. Let's try to keep discussion to the WiiU.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

homeless snail posted:

Its Ubisoft, you know they're going to have a pile of flawed but endearing PS4/Xbox launch titles to hock during their conference. No matter what Nintendo would do they'd get gently caress all E3 traction this year.
I thought Ubisoft had the least awful presentation last year. Not that it was particularly GOOD -- it had a Youtube celebrity pretending to have fake arguments with the host, and Flo Rida performed for pretty much no reason at all. But they were the only keynote last year that spoke heavily of Wii U, devoting a large block of time to talking Rayman Legends and then showing off ZombiU gameplay for the first time.

They're in Europe and they seem kind of divorced from all the petty behind the scenes fighting between Nintendo and EA/Epic, they just trust that Wii U will be successful for them like Wii was for them. I was going to say they are probably bringing Just Dance to Wii U but it was definitely already demoed last year. They'll at least throw the U a bone this year. The only bone they get.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 19, 2013

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I was actually making a list of games thinking about purchasing a Wii U. I pretty much missed out on the Wii generation but still have the controllers and one or two games, and the idea of what seems like near perfect Backwards-Compatibility seems really enticing to get to play games I've missed out that don't look like rear end on my computer monitor.

I'm doing the same thing for the 3DS, PS3 and 360 (which I already own but hardly use). I was looking into getting a console that will let me play games that I wouldn't otherwise get to play on my fairly powerful PC. PC Gaming has just gotten a little dull for me and I'd like to just sit back and relax to have some dumb fun. But all of this Wii U negativity sets me off like the money is just going to burn in my hands before I can hand it to the cashier.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, I see the point he is making, that even if gamers say they're angry they will still consume.

I don't exactly agree with it though, because I think customer relations are long-term and cumulative, and not necessarily expressed towards the same product that caused the offense, but rather the next ones down the road. For instance, I was deeply disappointed by FF13, but I still bought and played FF13. However, I didn't buy 13-2, the first (somewhat) main line FF game I hadn't at least tried. Now I'm out of the habit of buying FF games and may never go back. Similarly, I bought and enjoyed the Gamecube, and based on that I gave the Wii a chance too, but I will not give the WiiU a chance mostly based on my disappointment with the Wii.

This is kinda what I'm feeling about the WiiU. I was an early adopter of the Wii, was pretty wowed by the motion controls but the good games were few and far between. Thinking of them now the only ones that come to mind I owned are Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, Monster Hunter Tri, and Xenoblade - great games that I got many, many hours out of, but that's not much over the 6 years or whatever span of that system, and nothing compared to my 360 I bought a couple of years after my Wii.

I want to like the WiiU, but the Wii was so disappointing I won't take a chance on the WiiU until there's enough quality games to really sell me on it; just being Nintendo doesn't do it for me anymore.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

PlushCow posted:

This is kinda what I'm feeling about the WiiU. I was an early adopter of the Wii, was pretty wowed by the motion controls but the good games were few and far between. Thinking of them now the only ones that come to mind I owned are Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, Monster Hunter Tri, and Xenoblade - great games that I got many, many hours out of, but that's not much over the 6 years or whatever span of that system, and nothing compared to my 360 I bought a couple of years after my Wii.

I want to like the WiiU, but the Wii was so disappointing I won't take a chance on the WiiU until there's enough quality games to really sell me on it; just being Nintendo doesn't do it for me anymore.

When I saw the Wii I was really intrigued by the input method and figured it would be a knockout for FPS games. Say what you want about FPS, but it really isn't going anywhere, and the Wii controls really would have been a novel way to interact with a genre that so many like to look down at as being tired.

Of course, we didn't get that, but it's kind of interesting to think "what if," because if Nintendo had actually used competitive hardware in the Wii, there's a very good chance its sales numbers would have resulted in it being the lead platform during the Xbox 360/PS3 days. That would have meant thoughtfully executed motion controls as the rule, instead of the exception.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

bloodysabbath posted:

Of course, we didn't get that, but it's kind of interesting to think "what if," because if Nintendo had actually used competitive hardware in the Wii, there's a very good chance its sales numbers would have resulted in it being the lead platform during the Xbox 360/PS3 days. That would have meant thoughtfully executed motion controls as the rule, instead of the exception.

See, I don't know, I've personally always been suspicious of Nintendo's latest offerings (DS onward, basically) because it feels like they try to force a gimmicky input method on players without clearly demonstrating how this new input method is necessarily superior to the status quo. For every success like Wii Sports, there are multiple failed experiments like Red Steel. I remember at the launch of the original Wii, the consistent refrain among true believers was "developers just haven't learned how to make games for it yet! Give it time and we'll have new paradigms of gaming!" Seven years later, we have... what, a bunch of mini game collections? Granted, that's partly a function of Nintendo giving the cold shoulder to the core gaming audience, but even their more core-friendly efforts fail to elicit more than a shrug (from me, at least). Is waggling the wiimote to make Link swing his sword superior/more precise, or more immersive than just pressing a trigger button? I'd argue no, but again, that's me.

Now, in the present situation, Nintendo has again centered their new console around a gimmicky input method - a resistive touchscreen on a tablet-like controller. Now, once again, the true believers' refrain from the DS days - "developers don't know how to make games for it yet!", could apply here, except I'd argue the second screen being physically divorced from the primary gaming screen makes games less immersive, and is less intuitive when, for example, I have to look down at a separate screen and take time to identify what portion of the screen I need to press, rather than just use the standard arrangement of buttons. Again, one might expect Nintendo's first party efforts to lead the way in demonstrating how this new input method is superior to old, but so far we have NSMBU, in which the centerpiece of this new console is reduced to an optional (and arguably unfun, for whichever friend gets stuck using it) input method, and with NintendoLand we once again have a collection of minigames that are fun, but aren't nearly compelling to the point of driving a $350 purchase.

New input methods are perfectly fine if you can clearly demonstrate their utility and superiority compared to the status quo - take a look at Apple's 2007 iPhone presentation and the first time they demonstrated pinch-to-zoom. Nintendo, from my perspective, seems to brainstorm potentially intriguing input methods, design a console around them, and then just toss it out there without fully explaining how or why this is superior to our present gaming methods. Why aren't they hard-selling the gently caress out of the new Wii U Gamepad, if it was supposedly worth building the whole console around? Assuming it lasts that long, are the majority of games six years from now just going to have minimaps on the Gamepad screen?

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 19, 2013

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

bloodysabbath posted:

When I saw the Wii I was really intrigued by the input method and figured it would be a knockout for FPS games. Say what you want about FPS, but it really isn't going anywhere, and the Wii controls really would have been a novel way to interact with a genre that so many like to look down at as being tired.

Well, I think the thing that held the Wii back from being an FPS powerhouse was less the hardware in the system itself and more how imprecise the controller was. I remember quitting Zack and Wiki out of frustration from trying to simply turn things using that controller. Maybe if they'd had the Wii Motion Plus at the outset, though.

VVV I don't know either. I quit the Wii before it came out, too--I guess I just assumed it would have helped the abysmal accuracy of the Wiimote.

waffle fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 19, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I quit on the Wii before the Motion Plus came out, I don't know how much it actually improved precision, and how much that actually mattered in games (since as far as I could tell, 90% of games didn't involve pointing but rather dumb things like waggling). Was it a big difference?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Samurai Sanders posted:

I quit on the Wii before the Motion Plus came out, I don't know how much it actually improved precision, and how much that actually mattered in games (since as far as I could tell, 90% of games didn't involve pointing but rather dumb things like waggling). Was it a big difference?

It really only mattered in Skyward Sword. The rest of the games were just crap that used it, with the possible exception of the two other Wii sports titles.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

History would have turned out rather diferently when it comes to how people view motion controls if Motion Plus had been the default Wii controller. Skyward Sword and Red Steel 2 are proof that cool stuff can be made with proper motion controls. "Waggling" only became a thing because the original Wiimote is so absurdly inaccurate.

There's a reason why the start screen of PS3's Dust 514, a F2P FPS, tells the user something akin to "dude, not kidding, equip the Move if you want to be good at this game".

This brings us to why this discussion is related to the U: Nintendo is good at making concepts that do work in theory, but they keep getting the timing wrong. The Wiimote should have been improved before the release of the Wii. The U as is should have come out in 2010-2011 when tablets were an exciting new thing and nobody would care about the screen quality or how the console itself is only relatively as powerful as the last gen. The U as it could have been should have come out next year, slightly weaker than the next generation of consoles but powerful enough to run their ports, while the tablet would have been improved and lessons possibly learned from the PS4's online.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Even if the Motion Plus had been standard from the start, would many games have relied on that level of precision for serious gameplay stuff, given that the Wii was being marketed to people who don't play games very much?

Anyone can waggle, I figured that's at least some of the reason why it was so common in games.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Space Racist posted:

Of course, with the Wii, Nintendo famously quit the technological arms race, and to a certain degree they deserve commendation for that - but now I'm curious, is there any information on if there was some sort of brain drain post-Gamecube? Now granted, Sony had experience making computers and Microsoft had experience with Windows obviously, but some of the engineering and UI/UX decisions Nintendo has made in the past and present are just baffling. Stuff like this:

I mean, seriously? It's almost like they hold in contempt the idea that anyone would want to have a network of online friends to play games with instead of sitting on a couch with a couple buddies.

Anyway, back to the arms race thing, I think Nintendo was able to get away with it last generation since the Wiimote was so obviously different and interesting to everyone, gamers and non-gamers alike. Sure, it was barely more powerful than the Gamecube, but everyone remembers their first Wii bowling experience and how unique it was compared to everything else - to the point you even had loving nursing homes buying them for elderly residents to play with. Now, years later, that was pretty obviously a gimmick to a large degree, as I'd argue most of the 100 million Wiis that were sold are collecting dust, but selling a hundred million of the damned things is still pretty successful, gimmick or not.

However, with the Wii U, they're again attempting to get by on a 'just enough' hardware upgrade and a gimmicky control input solution - only this time no one gives a poo poo about the gimmick, partly because everyone already has one or more touchscreen devices in their possession anyway. Ellen and Oprah aren't going to feature NintendoLand, nursing homes aren't going to buy them so the elderly can play Mario Chase, and pediatricians aren't going to consider Wii U play 'light exercise' so that parents can feel good about buying them for their kids/themselves. In short, it's all going to come down to the games for this system, and they've shot themselves in the foot with their limited hardware spec. Developers aren't going to want devote resources to creating separate, pared-down versions of their big AAA franchises, especially now that the other two big platforms are finally on a easy, x86-based architecture. Game development is now too expensive to create a new range of IPs for one single system, and even if developers did make pared-down versions for Wii U, the audience that buys big AAA titles aren't going to be attracted to playing them on Wii U when the 'real experience' will be on PS4/Xbox.

Basically, not playing the arms race game is fine as long as you offer compelling experiences that can't be had elsewhere. I think it's safe to say at this point the Wii U Gamepad hasn't really done much of anything in that department, even in Nintendo's first party offerings.

I know this is from way back at the beginning of the thread, but it really is something that bugged me.

I loving loathe the Wii for what it did to Nintendo. By being as successful as it was, it reinforced their idea of shoving bad hardware and mediocre games and reaping massive success.

I can think of maybe 4 games on the Wii I enjoyed. Galaxies 1&2, Twilight Princess, and Brawl.

The same reinforcement was applied to lovely gimmick control schemes, something everyone else has jumped into with both feet.

I don't want touch control, or motion, or cameras, or Stereoscopic 3D. They're almost always used in piss poor ways, or ignored entirely. They take dev time away from making the whole thing high quality in order to cater to whatever gimmick their platform has, be it 2 screens, touch screens, motion or a loving tablet. It's all dumb as poo poo and it depresses me because it's not what I wanted from Nintendo.

At least with the Wii, I had hoped that they would focus on learning from their mistakes and making a quality platform next time. If the Wii U succeeds, it will further reinforce bad decisions, and if it fails Nintendo might well exit the hardware market.

It's depressing that I can't decide which is the worse outcome.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
With you guys on the stupid gimmicks thing. We still have bullshit "shake to jump" crap on the WiiU as in Lego City Undercover; a button would do, but nooooooo you have no choice but to shake the tablet around.

I do miss good lightguns though. That was one downside of the shift to LCD and Plasma screens, no more lightguns:( Playing Timecrisis on the PS3 or the shooters on the Wii just didn't work the same.

Jut fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 19, 2013

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Space Racist posted:

See, I don't know, I've personally always been suspicious of Nintendo's latest offerings (DS onward, basically) because it feels like they try to force a gimmicky input method on players without clearly demonstrating how this new input method is necessarily superior to the status quo. For every success like Wii Sports, there are multiple failed experiments like Red Steel. I remember at the launch of the original Wii, the consistent refrain among true believers was "developers just haven't learned how to make games for it yet! Give it time and we'll have new paradigms of gaming!" Seven years later, we have... what, a bunch of mini game collections? Granted, that's partly a function of Nintendo giving the cold shoulder to the core gaming audience, but even their more core-friendly efforts fail to elicit more than a shrug (from me, at least). Is waggling the wiimote to make Link swing his sword superior/more precise, or more immersive than just pressing a trigger button? I'd argue no, but again, that's me.

Now, in the present situation, Nintendo has again centered their new console around a gimmicky input method - a resistive touchscreen on a tablet-like controller. Now, once again, the true believers' refrain from the DS days - "developers don't know how to make games for it yet!", could apply here, except I'd argue the second screen being physically divorced from the primary gaming screen makes games less immersive, and is less intuitive when, for example, I have to look down at a separate screen and take time to identify what portion of the screen I need to press, rather than just use the standard arrangement of buttons. Again, one might expect Nintendo's first party efforts to lead the way in demonstrating how this new input method is superior to old, but so far we have NSMBU, in which the centerpiece of this new console is reduced to an optional (and arguably unfun, for whichever friend gets stuck using it) input method, and with NintendoLand we once again have a collection of minigames that are fun, but aren't nearly compelling to the point of driving a $350 purchase.

New input methods are perfectly fine if you can clearly demonstrate their utility and superiority compared to the status quo - take a look at Apple's 2007 iPhone presentation and the first time they demonstrated pinch-to-zoom. Nintendo, from my perspective, seems to brainstorm potentially intriguing input methods, design a console around them, and then just toss it out there without fully explaining how or why this is superior to our present gaming methods. Why aren't they hard-selling the gently caress out of the new Wii U Gamepad, if it was supposedly worth building the whole console around? Assuming it lasts that long, are the majority of games six years from now just going to have minimaps on the Gamepad screen?

I felt that way about the Wii U as well as after playing ZombiU a bit and MH3U, I still feel largely the same way. The controller is fine, the touchscreen just feels like it's not worth it. Two screens worked for the DS because they're so close together that it basically acts like a widescreen monitor turned 90 degrees with the software dividing up the screens, etc. It's more screen space, essentially. It doesn't work so well with the tablet controller because they're further apart and one is further away from you than the other. It can certainly still be useful for displaying information (MH3U) but I keep it on its charging stand below my monitor and just use the pro controller instead. I feel that ZombiU did something neat with it (Inventory management plus using the tablet to scan things on screen, you'd point it at the screen and it'd automatically bring up the scanner) but it just has no new utility for most games unless they want to force it in. Worst of all, having two-screens meant that there could've been more connectivity between their handhelds and consoles but they've dropped the ball on that too.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

GI_Clutch posted:

The fact that Nintendo can't wise up and create a proper network infrastructure with proper accounts (with purchases tied to them) is ridiculous. Are they just so stubborn of a company that they don't think they could at least do what their competitors were doing six years ago, let alone what they are doing today? The Wii U also can't play blu-rays, it doesn't have Dolby Digital support, etc. I use my PS3 for games and movies (blu-ray and Netflix). I like the idea of a single box to go to for media.

I think Nintendo lacks in those areas because they're a smaller company, and it's difficult for them to support all those features. That's one reason why, in my opinion, it would be easier for Nintendo if they were a third-party developer because they could concentrate on their famous software and leave the infrastructure to the larger platform vendors.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I said come in! posted:

I don't know why we are worried about Microsoft and Sony, they both have the advantage of knowing how to market their consoles. Plus very strong exclusives and Call of Duty Ghosts might be next gen only. Both consoles are going to sell really well. The last year didn't matter because everyone is done supporting this current gen. Well except for Sony for some strange reason, but it's Sony and it worked for the PS2, so why not, Is probably what they are thinking.

Ghosts is listed for PS3/360 as well, not Wii U oddly enough, least not on the poster.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alteisen posted:

Ghosts is listed for PS3/360 as well, not Wii U oddly enough, least not on the poster.
Man, if Madden, Call of Duty, FIFA, and Grand Theft Auto all skip Wii U this upcoming year, that is an unfathomable amount of potential revenue lost. How on earth do you compensate?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Man, if Madden, Call of Duty, FIFA, and Grand Theft Auto all skip Wii U this upcoming year, that is an unfathomable amount of potential revenue lost. How on earth do you compensate?

Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros...

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Alteisen posted:

When asked about the Wii U version they said they don't have any news and that they aren't talking about next-gen systems yet. Which either means they're lumping the Wii U in with the PS4 and Xbox1080 versions or they were just totally deflecting.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

This isn't an "if" at this point, it's assured.

I don't see why Nintendo never decided to develop two consoles. One for casual/previously non-gamers that relied on an interesting gimmick to pull in buyers, and a powerful system to compete with Sony and Microsoft.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

There's a reason why the start screen of PS3's Dust 514, a F2P FPS, tells the user something akin to "dude, not kidding, equip the Move if you want to be good at this game".

I'd say it's because the game lets you play with a mouse and keyboard and anybody doing that is going to mop the floor with gamepad users, and the Move evens things up a little.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Annath posted:

I don't want touch control, or motion, or cameras, or Stereoscopic 3D. They're almost always used in piss poor ways, or ignored entirely. They take dev time away from making the whole thing high quality in order to cater to whatever gimmick their platform has, be it 2 screens, touch screens, motion or a loving tablet. It's all dumb as poo poo and it depresses me because it's not what I wanted from Nintendo.

That's a rather myopic view on the subject. Did you miss the Kinect? The Vita's rear touchpad? Do you think Sony and Microsoft are not doing the same thing? Soon as Nintendo revealed the U, Sony came out to say "we can do the same with the Vita and the PS4!", Microsoft: "oh yeah? We can turn any Windows tablet into the Wii U!". New generation of consoles? Integrated Kinect so all games can be the 360's Mass Effect 3 as well. For the PS4 it's Move + touchpad all integrated into one controller along with some "inspirations" taken from the Miiverse.

This is now. Were you alive in the 90's? Sega was infamous for coming up with nearly a new gimmick every week or so. From Menacer to Sega Chair, from Sega Pico all the way to the Dreamcast VMU. Nintendo? Not too far behind. Floppy disks, Satellaview, Mario Paint, Power Glove, etc, etc. To innovate you need to try new things -- new things which you may perceive as "gimmicky", but if they stick out they become the "standard".

Features you describe as "dumb as poo poo" can be used to make good, innovative games. Games like World Ends With You and Elite Beat Angels on the DS as an example. And those features can be used badly, too, but that's true to everything. It's why people read reviews, check for impressions online, research if it's worth throwing out money at a new game, because that game may be good or bad as much as the developers behind it made it so. The saying goes: don't blame the tool, blame the one using it. Don't expect game development to fixate on your static view of what it should be -- being stale doesn't lead to anything good in the long run.

The Wii U isn't failing badly because it has a tablet controller. It's failing badly because of several other factors discussed at length throughout this thread.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 19, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Mario, Zelda, Smash Bros...
COD: Black Ops (25m) sold more than the sales of Mario Galaxy 2(6.3m), Skyward Sword(3.5m), and Smash Bros Brawl(10.8m) combined. It's also a series that releases every year, to those insane projections. Smash Bros only releases once a generation. The Gamecube only got one major Mario and one major Zelda title (unless you count the compilation discs?).

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 19, 2013

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Saoshyant posted:

That's a rather myopic view on the subject. Did you miss the Kinect? The Vita's rear touchpad? Do you think Sony and Microsoft are not doing the same thing? Soon as Nintendo revealed the U, Sony came out to say "we can do the same with the Vita and the PS4!", Microsoft: "oh yeah? We can turn any Windows tablet into the Wii U!". New generation of consoles? Integrated Kinect so all games can be the 360's Mass Effect 3 as well. For the PS4 it's Move + touchpad all integrated into one controller along with some "inspirations" taken from the Miiverse.

This is now. Were you alive in the 90's? Sega was infamous for coming up with nearly a new gimmick every week or so. From Menacer to Sega Chair, from Sega Pico all the way to the Dreamcast VMU. Nintendo? Not too far behind. Floppy disks, Satellaview, Mario Paint, Power Glove, etc, etc. To innovate you need to try new things -- new things which you may perceive as "gimmicky", but if they stick out they become the "standard".

Features you describe as "dumb as poo poo" can be used to make good, innovative games. Games like World Ends With You and Elite Beat Angels on the DS. And those features can be used badly, too, but that's true to everything. It's why people read reviews, check for impressions online, research if it's worth throwing out money at a new game, because that game may be good or bad as much as the developers behind made it so. Don't blame the tool, blame the one using it. And certainly don't ask for game development to fixate on your static view of what it should be -- it doesn't lead to anything good in the long run.

I own an xbox and a Vita. The Kinect is an accessory, and for better or worse, the Vita games I own and enjoy feature little to no touch gimmick. Hell, the best use of a Vita gimmick is the gyro aim in Uncharted and even that is only decent because it's compensating for trying to aim with such short sticks.

As for the rest of your post, my whole point was re: Wii and subsequent platforms. I thought dumb hardware ideas had died before the GCN launched.

TWEWY and Elite Beat Agents/OTO are decent for the platform, but I my opinion, games like that really aren't suited to small, handheld devices. I know playing TWEWY and EBA, my hands cramped and went numb after even 30 min of scrubbing that stylus on that tiny space. I never got to finish TWEWY because of that.

I guess, the whole point of my post was that these gimmicky "features" are a disincentive for me to buy a system. I know that, should the rumors be true and MS builds a Kinect into the nextbox, I will probably not be buying it, certainly not at launch, because I know what kind of crap will be pushed out at the start to build on the gimmick.

Nintendo opened this can of poo poo that the failures of past hardware gimmicks had closed when the Wii became a money printing license, and the industry at large has suffered because of it.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Saoshyant posted:

Features you describe as "dumb as poo poo" can be used to make good, innovative games. Games like World Ends With You and Elite Beat Angels on the DS as an example. And those features can be used badly, too, but that's true to everything. It's why people read reviews, check for impressions online, research if it's worth throwing out money at a new game, because that game may be good or bad as much as the developers behind it made it so. The saying goes: don't blame the tool, blame the one using it. Don't expect game development to fixate on your static view of what it should be -- being stale doesn't lead to anything good in the long run.

The Wii U isn't failing badly because it has a tablet controller. It's failing badly because of several other factors discussed at length throughout this thread.

I think people are upset over the gimmicks because from the press releases they've been seemingly given priority over making actual games, and in many cases they were shoehorned into games that would have run fine or better without them(i.e. Twilight princess). In the past and especially during the gamecube era the games with the gimmick devices were pretty much the only thing released for months and didn't even hold a candle to what the Xbox or PS2 were getting. So any signifigant flaws with the gimmick games that would have just been glossed over if they were in a full and plentiful release schedule, really instead stood out and were magnified.

You also wound up with monstrocities like this:

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 19, 2013

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Saoshyant posted:

Floppy disks,

I'm fairly certain these existed before Nintendo did anything with them, dude.

(In fact the 3 1/4 inch floppy we all know and love was based off a Sony design)

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I can see myself getting a WiiU, but I'm basically of the mindset of 'No Smash Bros., no deal'.

As it stands there are maybe 3 games for the console that I have any interest in, and they're the sort that I might get if I already had the console- nothing I would go out and buy the system for.

E3 is going to be make or break for the WiiU. If they don't show off a whole lot of interesting software coming out this year (not next!), it's going get completely lost in the hype for Nextbox and PS4. I kind of wish they would go the way of Sega. I like their games, but not the consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

COD: Black Ops (25m) sold more than the sales of Mario Galaxy 2(6.3m), Skyward Sword(3.5m), and Smash Bros Brawl(10.8m) combined. It's also a series that releases every year, to those insane projections. Smash Bros only releases once a generation. The Gamecube only got one major Mario and one major Zelda title (unless you count the compilation discs?).

And, the difference between CoD and Nintendo titles is that Activision isn't singlehandedly responsible for selling the public on new systems (though I suppose CoD could do that). The NSMB titles blow away their 3D counterparts in terms of copies sold, but does nothing to sell the necessity of a new system. Nintendo launched with NSMBU because it was the safest, most conservative bet. They failed to realize that the casual market that loves the everlasting poo poo out of endless 2D Mario games is not going to be compelled to buy a $300 system to play what they see as another version of a game they already own on Wii/DS/3DS.

If Nintendo *had* launched with a new, awesome 3D Mario game, I probably would have bought one. In my view, all-new Mario games come closest to what could be considered a "showpiece" for Nintendo systems, edging out Zelda because they've basically been redoing OOT since 1998. Yes, I'd have most likely been probated out of the Wii U general thread for incessantly complaining how there's nothing to play on the Wii U that isn't Mario 3D, but Nintendo would have gotten that sale.

• Locked thread