Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Organic Robot posted:

That Death Grip's comparison is pretty spot on for "Black Skinhead", and I am totally down with an album of angry Kanye.

Listening to both songs, its pretty much going to be the pop death grips album you can ease your friends into for the real death grips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Fuuuuck I just watched the SNL clips and I am so loving pumped for this album. I just hope the recordings capture that energy and anger he was showing last night.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I hope "Black Skinhead" has slightly less vocal distortion on the album version.

Why? That was one of the coolest parts!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

We now have the official album art

Interesting...

So is the actual CD case gonna look like that? All scratched up and torn? And will the outline of the CD actually be the outline of the CD, and the gold foil is just that shape on top of the CD and not actually a full album art insert? Or is all of that just the art insert and the case/CD are going to look different?

Either way, it's badass. I like the rebellious style he seems to be going with on this one.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

incoherent posted:

Listening to both songs, its pretty much going to be the pop death grips album you can ease your friends into for the real death grips.

This. These new songs are mindblowing to me. Here's hoping this spurs more Death Grips-like music in the industry. Something the world needs.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Trent Reznor and Saul Williams tried that 6 years ago and look where that got them...

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Of all the directions Kanye explored on MBDTF, the one he decided to go forward with was "Monster."

I heartily approve.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Something the world needs.

It really is not

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I hope he's channeling the creativity that you can tell has been frustrating him for a while. Like how mbdtf was pimping out its alleged artistry but its content was boring. But I'm probably too high and completely wrong.

e: Is this the kanye west thread or pitchfork buzz artist thread?? I'm lost

a dog from hell fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 20, 2013

degauss
Aug 28, 2007

When I get sad, I
stop being sad and
be AWESOME instead.

True story.
Does anyone know where I can get a video of Black Skinhead that I can listen to/watch in the UK? The NBC ones are blocked over here, and I can't find it on DailyMotion. I'm dying to hear it, Yeezy channeling Death Grips sounds like my favourite thing ever.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Im worried kanye is taking himself a bit too seriously now. If the entire album is the same as these 2 songs then that sounds kinda tedious

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thathonkey posted:

Im worried kanye is taking himself a bit too seriously now. If the entire album is the same as these 2 songs then that sounds kinda tedious

Oh 'ye of little faith.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

doctor thodt posted:

Oh 'ye of little faith.

Im just a professional pessimist. I just dont like buying into all the hype around my favorite artists.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 20, 2013

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

thathonkey posted:

Im just a professional pessimist. I just dont like buying into all the hype around my favorite artists.

Kanye has always taken himself a bit to serious. That's kind of his thing.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

The_Rob posted:

Kanye has always taken himself a bit to serious. That's kind of his thing.

Oh yeah i meant rather i hope the album finds some time to be fun/funny instead of 100% dark and about "serious issues" that kanye is having or whatever

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

thathonkey posted:

Oh yeah i meant rather i hope the album finds some time to be fun/funny instead of 100% dark and about "serious issues" that kanye is having or whatever

I understand that, but I really want a second 808's. I want it to be an hour and a half of kanye losing his mind.

Also I don't want any 2 chains or Big Sean features.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems

The_Rob posted:

2 Chainz is kind of fun in doses. I love when you just hear "TWO CHAINNZZZZZZZ" on 'Mercy'. Also 2 Chainz is really tall and that's scary.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

The_Rob posted:

Big Sean is what boredom sounds like.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
2 Chainz can be cool in doses and has a few decent verses. Big Sean, now that's that poo poo I don't like.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Good Will Hrunting posted:

2 Chainz can be cool in doses and has a few decent verses. Big Sean, now that's that poo poo I don't like.

I dunno man I feel like 2 chainz ruins every song he's on. Which is a shame because he usually has great production. Not to mention how horrible his verse on Ali Bomaye is.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

rear end was loving hilarious the first time I heard it, before it even became a single on the radio. I didn't quite know what to make of it. I thought it was a novelty act. I couldn't stop laughing for like half an hour straight.

Then it got played 20 times a day, censored, on the rap stations around here :ughh:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I want to hear the last part of new slaves properly so bad.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

http://www.youredm.com/2013/05/19/kanye-west-debuts-black-skinhead-produced-by-daft-punk/

I posted this in the Daft Punk thread, but I'll post it here too:

The writer of an upcoming Rolling Stone article on Daft Punk confirms that Daft Punk produced Black Skinhead.

:swoon:

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
While I like the style of Black Skinhead, the lyrics seem pretty childish and amateur. Name dropping 300 and Inglorious Basterds? Kinda weak.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Allusions to popular culture?? In MY rap music???

Drake Bate
Nov 2, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

http://www.youredm.com/2013/05/19/kanye-west-debuts-black-skinhead-produced-by-daft-punk/

I posted this in the Daft Punk thread, but I'll post it here too:

The writer of an upcoming Rolling Stone article on Daft Punk confirms that Daft Punk produced Black Skinhead.

:swoon:

daft punk produced a death grips beat for kanye?

:slick:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I require constant literary references to the greats such as Cummings and Kafka. I do not have time for such juvenile references of modern culture.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Drake Bate posted:

Two, actually. (To be specific, we don't know what the other track is so its not safe to assume its another black skinhead) I wonder if the other one will show up on a mixtape, the album, or shelved for a future greatest-hits album.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
This is not confirmed by anything official that I'm aware of but I've seen a lot of people saying that the album cover is a melted-down Jesus piece, which could make sense.

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Drake Bate posted:

Not really big on Daft Punk but I am extremely excited about this for some reason.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
I'm so god drat excited for yeezus holy poo poo

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

epitasis posted:

Allusions to popular culture?? In MY rap music???

Those movies are both 4-5 yrs old and 300 has been referenced in at least half a dozen other rap songs before so yeah those lines are some pretty lame mixtape fare. Also the 300 are greek (spartan) not roman but I guess we can let that slide. Let's not pretend Kanye is a super lyrical genius because he ain't.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 20, 2013

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

thathonkey posted:

Those movies are both 4-5 yrs old and 300 has been referenced in at least half a dozen other rap songs before so yeah those lines are some pretty lame mixtape fare. Also the 300 are greek (spartan) not roman but I guess we can let that slide. Let's not pretend Kanye is a super lyrical genius because he ain't.

No one is saying he is, but it's ridiculous to complain about pop culture references in rap music. Kanye references Robocop and Misery in a song for gently caress's sake.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I dont think anyone was complaining about pop culture references in general?

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Yeah I don't mind pop culture references, rappers use them to stay relevant and if the lyrics are clever and tie into the theme of the song then all the power to it.

If he were trying to underscore the fascism in the movie 300 as a way to critique racism in western media then yeah, I'd say that is clever. Is that what he is trying to do?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Let the speculation begin

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 20, 2013

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

degauss posted:

Does anyone know where I can get a video of Black Skinhead that I can listen to/watch in the UK? The NBC ones are blocked over here, and I can't find it on DailyMotion. I'm dying to hear it, Yeezy channeling Death Grips sounds like my favourite thing ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhB0JJH6kqw

Edit: Nope, it was taken down five seconds after I listened to it.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhB0JJH6kqw

Edit: Nope, it was taken down five seconds after I listened to it.

http://vimeo.com/66505918

Try this one

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Trent Reznor and Saul Williams tried that 6 years ago and look where that got them...

Ha, my wife and I said the same thing during the performance. My wife for the music, I for the tone/theme and that Saul would have been lyrically much better. Also had the Death Grips comparison.

That said, I do dig the song outside of the lyrics.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

The Walking Dad posted:

While I like the style of Black Skinhead, the lyrics seem pretty childish and amateur. Name dropping 300 and Inglorious Basterds? Kinda weak.

Orbi posted:

Theory I stole from elsewhere (a Kanye fan forum that seems to steal some SA smilies): the song is about how reality (specifically in relation to African-American population) is twisted, manipulated and demonised by the media. There's that presumably intentional error, the Inglorious Basterds reference at the end about how Hitler died in a burning theatre which obviously isn't how it actually happened, his King Kong reference at the start. Almost the entire song is full of stuff like that. "They say I'm possessed", "If I don't get ran down by Catholics / Here come some some conservative Baptists / Sayin' me overreacting", "I been a menace for the longest / And I ain't finished, I'm devoted", almost that entire last verse is all about how he's aware of what he is to other people ("I'm aware I'm a wolf / As soon as the moon hits [I'm guessing this is referencing how Yeezy's quite the opportunist when it comes to the media]/ I'm aware I'm a king / Back out the tomb bitch") and how African-Americans are treated by the media "These niggas ain't doin' poo poo".
Quoted because it explains it as well as I'd be able to, in a pretty succinct way.

Maybe try listening critically a little bit before you childishly dismiss things in an out-of-context way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

The worst thing about the two songs that have been leaked is dudes are gonna try to draw some strained death grips comparison and trick a bunch of otherwise innocent people into listening to loving death grips. I mean at least Niggy Tardust sounded like music and not some dudes trying to be eXXXtreeme!!!!!! and edgy or w/e. (btw Niggy Tardust was a great album)

Also the album's gonna be good, I have no doubt. In terms of making good music, Kanye's the best commercial rapper ever (even though he's average at best as a "rapper"). All of his albums have been great to amazing, and they each have a unique sound and this one seems like it's gonna continue the trend.

• Locked thread