Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If you're getting trained 1 on 1 those 2 days and have gym access otherwise, it's an ok price. Otherwise hell no

God, don't encourage him. He's just going to use this as an excuse to not do anything for another six months or whatever and then cry in the thread again about how he doesn't have helio Gracie or Jesus as his personal trainer and why bother oh we should feel sorry for him no one in the world has it as hard as he does.

This is what, his eighth foray into martial arts, none of which have lasted longer than three weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
If he bails out now then he's a drat fool. If someone wants to throw money away for no reason I have a paypal, you can hit me up anytime.

If you're locked in for 6 months then you might as well go and get your money's worth.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Dude, how come you never check in about important stuff like long contracts and prices? If you don't get any free gym time on top of 2 days (can you even do multiple classes a day?) then yeah, that's a lot. Who are the instructors?

I should explain that I can technically opt out of the contract at any time. It's sort of confusing, but I live pretty far away from the gym. The only reason I joined it to being with was because it was close to my work and I could head on over right after. They have this rule in the contract that says that if you live more than 25 miles you can cancel the contract at any time.

And no, it's not one-on-one and no gym time. :(

Guilty posted:

God, don't encourage him. He's just going to use this as an excuse to not do anything for another six months or whatever and then cry in the thread again about how he doesn't have helio Gracie or Jesus as his personal trainer and why bother oh we should feel sorry for him no one in the world has it as hard as he does.

This is what, his eighth foray into martial arts, none of which have lasted longer than three weeks?

drat, dude. As the kids say, take a chill pill!

Any impediment at this point for me to go to any martial arts dojo/gym was merely work related. I settled on boxing for a while until my new job forced me to relocate and made it impossible for me to continue at that particular gym.

Also, for the record, I stuck with boxing for 3 months.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Guilty posted:

Don't worry too much about mastering it. I never use it either. All you need to win fights below super pro HBO Muhammad Ali level is one or two perfect techniques. Every other technique orbits around your one knock out move. Say your best throw is the right straight, every thing else is either to make room for that right straight, or the right straight makes room for everything else, no matter how sloppy everything else is.

edit: just thought of something. You should teach them to rotate the hips first and fully. Fully rotated hips will drag along the arm and leg. But you can twist your leg without rotating the hip. That's what the twist dance is, after all.

I'll try to keep that in mind seriously, instead of trying to build a huge repertoire of bad punches that hit like a wet towel. Right now I'm trying to concentrate on two punches, left uppercut and right straight because those seem to be the only ones I can hurt people when sparring 100%. I box very low (gently caress Savate, every time I train it it makes my boxing stance suck for a week) and throw both "coming up" after a slip. I use my jab like many other people to set those up, but mine are even sloppier and slower so I can make sure people counter them. Since I know the counter is on its way, drop weight down, slip counter and BOOM uppercut or cross. Ha ha! Sadly someone who throws more than one or two punches coming in usually clocks me too. Oh well.

About turning the hip, personally I'm afraid if you turn the hip first it will leave your leg planted instead of dragging it along, twisting your spine. I have actually tweaked my back by trying to punch a good sparring buddy in the face with the hulkest of hulk left hooks. I did one thing right and had my weight low and my feet planted. I did one thing wrong because my feet were so planted my left heel never left the ground, so my left leg never turned with the punch, so the torque from the hip to my shoulders actually hurt me more then the person I was punching at. And the fucker just caught it on his shoulder anyway. At least for me it's safer to turn the leg and let it rotate your waist, which drags the punch with it.

But every single person I know throws differently. One of the most interesting things is figuring out exactly how. A month or two ago me and another dude who's actually good at boxing got these two 100 lbs tiny little girls (both athletic, but zero boxing) throwing left hooks so hard they would do actual damage just going it over and over and over and finding how to fix their stance and rotation.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

My coach doesn't teach left hooks, he doesn't believe in them. But it's okay, he's totally legit, he has this rad mug that says "World's Greatest Coach", so he must know what he's talking about.

We also don't call them hooks but cornerpunches, and teeps are pushstomps. It's a special type of Austrohungarian kickboxing, you wouldn't know about it.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
All this talk about Right hooks not being a fantastic strike intrigue's me as I'm left handed and my left hook is one of my strongest strike's I havent put any more work into training it than any other strike I just naturally seem to throw them quite well.
I dont know if this has anything to do with being left handed but I'd definitely say my left hook and left elbow strike's are my best (they are a relatively similar technique.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Right hook is a dumb, ugly punch and you're better off throwing an overhand right, or a right uppercut. hth.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Gaz2k21 posted:

All this talk about Right hooks not being a fantastic strike intrigue's me as I'm left handed and my left hook is one of my strongest strike's I havent put any more work into training it than any other strike I just naturally seem to throw them quite well.

If you're orthodox stance, being left handed will make the left (lead) hook natural and well coordinated.
There's some common elements to the mechanics of the lead and rear hooks, but I think the nuances make them much more different than similar.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
My right hook is a clinch move. I prefer fighting with the people at the gym who are naturally bigger and stronger than me so often times I'm at a reach disadvantage and spend a lot of time on the inside sneaking short punches in.

Then again I've also got a big stupid looping left hook that I use sometimes too, so my boxing isn't strictly "technical" or "good" or anything but a means for me to distract people from my knees and leg kicks.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Last class I was wondering about the right hook out loud, and asked how many of them think it's their good punch or even a good punch, about 30% of the people raised their glove.

It might be awesome for someone, but at least for me it isn't most of the time. Even though last hard sparring round I clocked my partner in the helmet with a tremendous one after ducking his left hook but it was basically just a brawling swing with fortunate timing, not a technical, neat punch at all.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ligur posted:

Tell me more!

When we were at ringside I watched the americans and it seemed like some of them didn't throw a single straight punch, all of their punches were winged from the side without turning over their hands, like they were holding ski poles and exclusively throwing hooks with both arms.

The way we're taught our left hook is to turn the hand over just like our straights, thumb down. It brings the shoulder up and seems to make the return path to cover the face easier. I dunno.

I'll shut up now.

e: VVVVVV case in point

mewse fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 19, 2013

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

Right hook is a dumb, ugly punch and you're better off throwing an overhand right, or a right uppercut. hth.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
There's a lot to be learned from watching professionals fight, but you need to keep in mind that many things they do are just simply on another level. Those are not basics, and that's not necessarily what you need to be learning/practicing. I mean, if you honestly think you can fight just like Mayweather, then by all means, train like Mayweather.

Unless you're watching a Klitschko fight. Then just do that.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Guilty posted:

There's a lot to be learned from watching professionals fight, but you need to keep in mind that many things they do are just simply on another level. Those are not basics, and that's not necessarily what you need to be learning/practicing. I mean, if you honestly think you can fight just like Mayweather, then by all means, train like Mayweather.

Unless you're watching a Klitschko fight. Then just do that.

There's a difference between "bad habits professionals get away with because they're very, very good" and "things that may not be basics, but are an appropriate tool for very specific jobs" and the right hook is the latter.

But mostly I'm just having fun at Kid Dynamite's expense because I find it amusing to set his poor opinion of the right hook and his Floyd fanboyism at odds with each other.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

It's directly aimed at students of Niten Ichi Ryu and as such got little relevance to others. As mentioned, the only thing you'll really get out of it is "train everything".
Similarly, Hagakure was written by a guy who most likely never drew a sword in anger (and probably barely trained either) and should not be taken seriously.

You missed out. Please reread the book. There's so much more.

mewse
May 2, 2006

fatherdog posted:

But mostly I'm just having fun at Kid Dynamite's expense because I find it amusing to set his poor opinion of the right hook and his Floyd fanboyism at odds with each other.

This is some next level poo poo

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

fatherdog posted:

There's a difference between "bad habits professionals get away with because they're very, very good" and "things that may not be basics, but are an appropriate tool for very specific jobs" and the right hook is the latter.

That was a perfectly executed punch for the situation. But even so, it's somewhat odds with an ideal hook, where you accelerate the fist by propogating the whipping from your trunk down the arm, keeping it tight or tightening it inward. By conservation of angular momentum, pulling your hand inward will speed the punch up, which is where all the pop of a good hook comes from.

In Floyd's punch, he lets it travel wide to get around Cotto's guard, and only flexes inward when he knows he's past Cotto's glove, over the last foot of travel. To get it to work so nicely speaks to Floyd's genius.

I guess my point is -- figuring out the range and opening to use a rear hook is much harder than for a lead hook.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I only throw right hooks as a stepping hook if someone's circling to my right or if I square up in close which I do a fair bit since I spar taller guys. I don't like throwing anything that travels a long way because of my reach disadvantage I get popped trying to do it.

Also: Cross posting this in the grappling thread, but there's a seminar not far from me being done by Ratinho Octavio Couto this weekend, has anyone gone to his seminars before?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I don't know poo poo about striking, but I know that I'm going to call them cornerpunches and pushstomps from now until forever

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
You're allowed to call them whatever you want as long as you're hurting people with them.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

:swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nKE8LME4sQ

There's an even better example of a right hook but I still wouldn't tell a mere mortals to throw the punch. If a person has their guard up like Cotto where you would have to place the punch around it in the center of the ring then just go to the body imo. If it's against the ropes then the right hook is throwable but i'd still prefer a cut in that direction and a left hook counter when they throw to back you off.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
It looks like Mayweather is also using that punch to move cotto's guard and pull him in for the uppercut more than hes aiming to really hit him.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Guilty posted:

There's a lot to be learned from watching professionals fight, but you need to keep in mind that many things they do are just simply on another level. Those are not basics, and that's not necessarily what you need to be learning/practicing.

No poo poo first learn how to box with both hands up, basic boxing stance throwing basic punches from their traditional positions. When you start hacking that and can keep safe in the ring doing so, maybe someday start finding and then developing your own style and...

KidDynamite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nKE8LME4sQ

There's an even better example of a right hook but I still wouldn't tell a mere mortals to throw the punch.

... case in point.

If I had people waving their mitts like Roy Jones guard there left hand low going in circles, right hand to the side pawing at chest height, I'd need to have a talk with them if they thought it's a good thing. I see what Roy Jones is doing there, but nobody else is him. A friend came to me at the gym last week excited about Mayweather stance. It works because Mayweather is one of the most gifted athletes in the world and has been doing this for three decades, but if people who have boxed for 6 months or 2 years start philly shelling against anyone semi-competent you'll get punched to the side of your head and ribs and lose your offense and defense and asfdaf.

Back to the right hook one more time yep, against some people, throwing it to the body works - even for me!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I've tried the philly shell a few times throughout my boxing career and the longer I've been boxing the easier it gets. It just doesn't fit with my style and amateur boxing in general.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
For me it's ok (and fun as hell) as long as my opponent is afraid to attack aggressively or just in general sucks even more than I do.

Then again against an opponent like that, standing on your head or boxing with your eyes closed also work pretty well. A shame you can't really shove, tie and pull heads in amateur rules. Philly-shell with leaping in right hands and then tying up if you don't connect hard would rock, but like you said doesn't fit the rules.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Ligur posted:

A shame you can't really shove, tie and pull heads in amateur rules.

What's up with this? Do they just keep it extra clean for safety to make it easier for boxers with rudimentary technique to defend themselves?

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Hi martial arts thread,

There was a local Muay Thai place running a deal on Livingsocial for a month of unlimited classes for 30 bucks. Naturally, that seemed like too good a deal to pass up and I went and gave it a try.

I totally had a blast! After the month is up, I think I might just sign up with the gym. Now, I've dabbled in martial arts before, but nothing too serious. I did Capoeira back in high school and TKD in middle school. But, man, Muay Thai just absolutely kicks your rear end!

I'd like to think I'm not that out of shape - I do crossfit and yoga - but by the end of class, I was so spent that I started to dry heave and almost wanted to puke at some points! I guess it wasn't smart to have done both crossfit AND yoga the same day as Muay Thai. I was definitely surprised at just how much more intense Muay Thai is than crossfit.

What was surprising to me was that even though I had dabbled in martial arts well over a decade ago, there's some things that still stuck with me. As a total MT newbie, the instructor was happy with my kicks versus the other students. Guess I can thank my time in two kicking arts for that! Of course, that means I have some habits to unlearn. When we practiced switching stances, I must've been instinctively recalling my TKD experience. One of the instructors corrected my switch and showed me to keep my hips squared forward and just switch the legs, rather than a quick hop up and switching my entire body to the other side. At which point the instructor asked if I did TKD. Pretty cool that they're observant like that!

---

One thing I was curious about that the instructor admitted he didn't have an answer to: How do you decide which way to stand (regular or Southpaw) when you have cross dominance. For me, I'm technically right handed, but I think I was supposed to be a lefty. Even though I write with my right hand, I do things like shave, eat, drink, brush my teeth with my left hand but would rather throw a ball or something with my right.

But, my left leg is definitely the dominant leg. Myself, fellow students, and the instructor all noticed right away that my left side kicks are waaayy better than my right side. So, how do you decide which way to stand? Right leg forward and take advantage of better kicks? Or left leg forward and take advantage of better punches (although between Capoeira and TKD, I've never really thrown a punch - boy did it show in training!).

Or since I'm a total newbie, should I not even worry about that, just train, and wait until I'm not total poo poo at MT (hopefully) first?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I've got some left right dominance stuff, left handed usually but I do many things righty. when I boxed they encouraged me to stand normal because lefty standing right would give me a strong jab which is really nice especially when you're tall as I am as well.

For grappling I don't really think about it and I don't think there is much advantage either way except lefty is less common.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Dolemite posted:

Lefty stuff.

You can either go southpaw and blast those straight lefts or confuse everyone by having a really potent lead leg kick to the inner thigh.

Personally I go both ways just to keep things interesting. :heysexy:

Practice both stances and really annoy everyone you spar.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Novum posted:

You can either go southpaw and blast those straight lefts or confuse everyone by having a really potent lead leg kick to the inner thigh.

Personally I go both ways just to keep things interesting. :heysexy:

Practice both stances and really annoy everyone you spar.

Yeah I always advocate for switching stances if you're doing an art with kicks, knees and clinch work. See what favours your build and what you're naturally good at.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So I was coming home on the subway today, and there was this one dude who someone else rubbed the wrong way and started going apeshit. Couldn't tell if he was crazy or one of those people that just acts crazy, but either way the experience made me nervous as hell. And this was someone who wasn't even trying to fight me. This is part of the reason, as I've mentioned why I've wanted to learn martial arts to begin with. As someone who has never been in a proper fight all his life, how the hell do I get over this? :(

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 23, 2013

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Mr Interweb posted:

So I was coming home on the subway today, and there was this one dude who someone else rubbed the wrong way and started going apeshit. Couldn't tell if he was crazy or one of those people that just asks crazy, but either way the experience made me nervous as hell. And this was someone who wasn't even trying to fight me. This is part of the reason, as I've mentioned why I've wanted to learn martial arts to begin with. As someone who has never been in a proper fight all his life, how the hell do I get over this? :(

Honestly, there's a good reason that reaction is hardwired in most people. When someone goes crazy, your first instinct should be to get the hell away from them. Gaining a false sense of confidence from martial arts and confronting them is a great way to get stabbed.

I mean, full-contact sparring (Judo, boxing, kyokushin, BJJ, whatever) will help you keep your composure if you ever get into a real fight, but in this case your reaction was kind of spot on. When a crazy dude is going nuts, you need to get nervous, get away from there, and call the cops.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Feeling nervous is normal

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Yeah, getting nervous and antsy is completely normal. Usually the biggest thing that I feel whenever I get fight-or-flighty is that my ears heat up really hot and my hands go ice cold, and even when it's something completely safe like a match I still get that same adrenaline kick out of it.

The biggest thing is that whatever style or art you're practicing has to really be drilled into muscle memory if you're going to competently defend yourself with it. Getting into a fight is terrifying and it is entirely possible that one of the first things that will hit you is, "Am I really getting into a fight?" The time that your mind is occupied on that thought it where your muscle memory saves you.

But yeah. You would have to have stone cold balls of steel to get over the lizard part of your brain.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Please repost your question in GBS so I can laugh at all the Internet Toughguy responses instead of having to read the honest realistic boring answers in this thread. :mad:

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Being nervous qualifies you as a human being, nobody really is easy around crazy or threatening people. You can learn to control how it looks on the outside a little, but the moment you feel normal and happy when someone obviously deranged is waving a knife or a fist around makes you likely to die young, or receive serious injury, and that's much worse than nervous and jittery and feeling like or actually running away.

Scrot Eel
Jan 22, 2002

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
I'm a fat guy (6', 285lbs) and I've finished my first week of Kickboxing classes (two classes this week). I'm a little worried because my knees have been hurting like a motherfucker. I don't have any pain during the intense drills during the classes, but I do later that day. The lower halves of my knees hurt and it's painful to go down stairs, but not so much to go up them. Not really sure what's going on.

It really doesn't feel as if I'm inflicting any permanent injury as it tends to go away within a few days, with a little residual soreness when I press my lower kneecap. I had the same problems when I did heavy squats. Anyone have a similar experience when first getting started? Am I just going to have to wait it out as I gradually cut weight, or do I need to go ahead and get bionic knee implants?

Scrot Eel fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 23, 2013

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Maybe take it a little bit easier on the knees for a little bit. You can lose plenty of weight just by boxing, and maybe when you're closer to your natural weight your knees won't hurt too much after a regular practice.

I'm pretty cautious about knees though since like, everyone ends up getting knee surgery and so far I haven't had to.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
^Yeah, it could just be pain cause you're fat and just starting out. All of my advice is then worst case scenario poo poo. Give yourself some time to get used to the motions, but you should still ask someone at your club about it. When you're just starting out it can be hard to tell the pain of working something and the pain of destroying something.

Scrot Eel posted:

Am I just going to have to wait it out as I gradually cut weight, or do I need to go ahead and get bionic knee implants?

Umm, you probably don't kneed knee implants. Also, I'm going to relate poo poo to you from what little I know (I in no way, shape, or form know medical stuffs) and from my personal experience. Use common sense and definitely ask your coach/teacher if y'all don't have an medical trainer there. Is my rear end covered? Yes? Good.

I have bad knees myself and had similar sounding issues to you when I started going to fencing practice 3-4 times a week in my front (right) knee. I self treat it by wearing a knee strap, like so (beware my sexy, sexy calf):

I've now been using a knee strap anytime I fence, do heavy labor (I work as a mover), or even just have to stand for a while, because, otherwise, my knee will stiffen up and I'll develop a limp.

Also, precision in where it hurt is the big thing. I mean, "lower halves of my knees" covers a lot of stuff. A picture would do us nothing because I just tried to take one so you'd get an idea what I was talking about and saw that I lost all definition to my knee. So, feel around and show use where on the dolly you hurt:

For reference, the bottom red nastiness is around where I feel the pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

I haven't trained anything for 2 weeks cuz of a flu. Yet last night my right knee started hurting, across the front and below the patella. Woke up this morning and it still hurts, especially at lock. Usually, my knees ache from training, but this feels a bit different, a bit sharper. Could it be lack of training has caused the tissues to heal up in a way that signals pain?

Here's my knee pain story -- any ideas? It flares up whenever I put in a lot of heavy round kicks on the bag. Sometimes as the leg lands, I can feel a click or shift in my kicking knee. I've been only doing straight kicks (teeps and sidekicks) over the past few sessions, and my knees have been fine.

• Locked thread