Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

jivjov posted:

Not everyone writes at the same speed, and to paraphrase Neil Gaiman, authors don't exist solely to funnel you the content you want at the rate you want it. If someone wants to take 7 years to write a novel, let them. It's their book, not yours.

I feel it speaks to the quality of the author and their competency as a writer when they stretch out the process that much. Rothfuss originally had the entire story told in one book and was told a trilogy would work better, that's fine, but now it's taking a lot longer, he say's he's rewriting the entire plot for most of it and I wonder how much fluff is getting crammed into the 3rd, what is being made up that was never a part of the story when the 1st and second books were written, and do the sales figures being so high end up with the publishers wanting 2 books instead of 1 etc.

If he sat down in a office and wrote/edit 8 hours a day that book would probably be done in 6 months, but that's a rough schedule. Writing a great book is an insanely difficult task, and some of the greatest authors write 1 novel every couple of years, but most of those are entirely self contained stories not multi book sagas. I would hope when book one is put to paper the writer has a fairly good idea of how book 1+n will end and what subtle references allude to future plot development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Hell, Erikson pointedly slowed down his book writing to about 18 months a book from a year once he completed the main Malazan Book of the Fallen series because he felt he was being too pressured to finish quickly (also contracts etc) and you can see how a lot of people took to the latter half of the series (I liked them but less than the first half and a lot of readers had many many issues).

Hopefully there'll be a pattern of taking several years and delivering a subpar book that'll cut down on that sort of thing.

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd
Sigh. He wasn't done with all of it back when book one was released. He had the overall story planned out, and a rough draft of the second and third book - much rougher than he thought (he says).

Patrick Rothuss posted:

And whenever people asked about book two, I told them the same thing: that I already had a good solid draft, and that it would be out in a year.

This is in 2007, mind you.

When I finally sat down to work on the book, I realized the draft was *much * rougher than I remembered. The truth was, I’d been focusing all my energy on Name of the Wind for years while book two just sat their gathering dust. It was pretty shabby when I took a close look at it.

Patrick Rothuss posted:

There are whole chapters that were nothing more than this:

Chapter 31: [need title]

(Something happens with Ambrose here.)

So no, it wasn't quite "almost done" in 2007. ;)

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Tayacan posted:

So no, it wasn't quite "almost done" in 2007. ;)

You're right, it wasn't "almost done", it was "written all the way through to the end". This is from his April 18, 2007 blog:

Pat Rothfuss posted:

The trilogy is already written all the way through to the end, but there is still some editorial work to be done. I want the second one to be at least as good as the first, if not better. That takes time.

I guess we can argue over what he's saying, but there's a world of difference between "I have a good draft but there's a lot of blanks to fill in" and "poo poo's done, ready for editing!"

Now again, the fact that he needs more time to write the books doesn't bother me. What does bother me is when Rothfuss basically lies about what he's said in the past without having the decency to go back and edit what he's said in the past when it's so easy to look up :).

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
You haven't paid for a book, and to my knowledge, no date has been announced.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Kynetx posted:

You haven't paid for a book, and to my knowledge, no date has been announced.
Neither of those things are required for expressing opinions on a discussion forum.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I didn't realize both he and Scott Lynch live in western Wisconsin. Add in the Bon Iver dude and you got some weird poo poo going on up there. And neckbeards.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Hand Row posted:

I didn't realize both he and Scott Lynch live in western Wisconsin. Add in the Bon Iver dude and you got some weird poo poo going on up there. And neckbeards.

Neil Gaiman lives in Menominee too. Something about Rural loving Wisconsin must put you in the proper frame of mind to write fantasy. I'd guess it's the long winters and binge drinking.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
So guess who's writing the new Torment game. Suddenly I am glad I didn't back that, and I wonder how this will effect the lead time on the next book.

quote:

5. This is the first step in my extended master plan. If this goes well, it means we’re *much* more likely to see a Kingkiller game. More importantly, a Kingkiller game I’ll be able to have a direct hand in.

:pwn:

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
A videogame that comes with the "godmode" cheat already turned on does save time.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Sophia posted:

A videogame that comes with the "godmode" cheat already turned on does save time.

Zing!

You will never quite understand what it means to be poor until you've spent your last MSP on the Yllish braid dlc pack.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
I don't see this as a bad thing. I would like to see the 3rd book soon, but I have plenty of others on my reading list to keep me busy.
He seems beyond thrilled about the whole thing, and I'm happy for him.

Although, I'm not too sure how well Kingkiller would work as a game... but I guess we will just have to see when we get to that point.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Eh, I think something in the setting but not, like, you playing Kvothe would be perfectly fine. I think a lot of the flaws he has in writing are also either less important or less noticable in a video game, so, eh I'm not terribly bothered by it.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
A game where you played as an Arcanist with a lot of thought put into the magic mechanics would be cool. Playing as Kvothe doing "missions" from the book doesn't really get me going though.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
"Well, I had to grind the 'Borrow Money to Pay For Classes' mission over and over, but I've finally got enough XP to do the Pirate question chai-what do you mean it's just a static image and a voiceover!"

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rime posted:

So guess who's writing the new Torment game. Suddenly I am glad I didn't back that, and I wonder how this will effect the lead time on the next book.

:pwn:
He's not writing the whole game, I believe it was something like 15,000 words, which is more like one party NPC character's optional/story dialogue, or a long side quest.

the link posted:

“We don’t want you to write *all* of game,” Colin said. “Maybe just a side area. Subplot. A piece.”
Do never write all of game. :colbert:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just to keep this thread from being archived: Rothfuss was on Leo Laporte's Triangulation podcast last month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBAirLGSsy8

He mentions that book 3 should be out in 2014. :rolleye:

uber
Apr 13, 2009

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Rime posted:

He actually said that getting involved with the game has resulted in him writing at a faster pace than he was before.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Rime posted:

I actually backed the game before they added him as a stretch goal. Hopefully he writes some compelling story elements instead of weird fantasy wish-fulfillment. The above poster mentioned being part of Torment making him have to write faster, so let's hope that it's not unfinished and unpolished just to meet a publisher deadline.

firt
May 17, 2006

Bantaras posted:

i really do think you guys would enjoy Scott Lynch.
just sayin

This for sure. I've only ready the first book of the locke series but it was pretty amazing, should get started on the rest.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

firt posted:

This for sure. I've only ready the first book of the locke series but it was pretty amazing, should get started on the rest.

There's only one other, so far as I know.

:sigh: And the next one sounds really cool...

Multiplesarcasm
Mar 3, 2006

a corduroy explosion.
You're in luck, the third novel is set for release on October 8, after years of it being pushed back. The first chapter is available on Scott Lynch's website.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Multiplesarcasm posted:

You're in luck, the third novel is set for release on October 8, after years of it being pushed back. The first chapter is available on Scott Lynch's website.

Oh nice. I had heard about the perpetual delays (due to Lynch's depression IIRC) so I wasn't in a hurry to read the second one even though I loving loved the first. I think I'll pick it up sometime this fall now!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Oh nice. I had heard about the perpetual delays (due to Lynch's depression IIRC) so I wasn't in a hurry to read the second one even though I loving loved the first. I think I'll pick it up sometime this fall now!

I would love to see a series of interviews of major writers from all genres break down their work process and how things get done. The only one I ever saw was Johnathan Franzen who, when he wants to seriously write takes a laptop that's been scrubbed of anything but a word processing application, included minesweeper/solitaire, and takes it to a cabin and just works free of distractions for days, weeks, etc.

From what I know Lynch has been really forthcoming with his problems preventing him from writing and gets a lot of sympathy and respect for it, while GRRM just blogs about the NY Jets and everyone hates him for it.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

pentyne posted:

I would love to see a series of interviews of major writers from all genres break down their work process and how things get done. The only one I ever saw was Johnathan Franzen who, when he wants to seriously write takes a laptop that's been scrubbed of anything but a word processing application, included minesweeper/solitaire, and takes it to a cabin and just works free of distractions for days, weeks, etc.

From what I know Lynch has been really forthcoming with his problems preventing him from writing and gets a lot of sympathy and respect for it, while GRRM just blogs about the NY Jets and everyone hates him for it.

I don't even hate GRRM for it - it's his decision how to write his series, however much I want to see the ending - but I just don't understand why he doesn't want to focus on it more. The development deal with HBO was baffling to me when he already has so much on his plate. Hell, he has a full plate just with ASoIaF plus all of the stuff he does for fun, so why does he want to add creating a TV show or two and writing prequel books to that?

Anyway, GRRM's slowness has been discussed to death. :) Is there any news about Doors of Stone? I haven't followed Rothfuss's blog for a while since it was clear the book was still a long way off.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Is there any news about Doors of Stone? I haven't followed Rothfuss's blog for a while since it was clear the book was still a long way off.

Nope. I wouldn't expect the book until late next year at the absolute earliest, and realistically not until sometime in 2015.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Anyway, GRRM's slowness has been discussed to death. :) Is there any news about Doors of Stone? I haven't followed Rothfuss's blog for a while since it was clear the book was still a long way off.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Just to keep this thread from being archived: Rothfuss was on Leo Laporte's Triangulation podcast last month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBAirLGSsy8

He mentions that book 3 should be out in 2014. :rolleye:

Not sure if there has been anything else since then.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Ornamented Death posted:

Nope. I wouldn't expect the book until late next year at the absolute earliest, and realistically not until sometime in 2015.

Yeah. Honestly it hasn't even been on my radar because I figured that. I learned my lesson after waiting on tenterhooks for A Dance With Dragons, so I'm basically only following Brandon Sanderson's book updates because he's so prolific.

isochronous
Jul 15, 2001

*Golf Clap*

Above Our Own posted:

Denna isn't remotely close to interesting. She doesn't have any unique defining characteristics, no internal consistency, and she definitely doesn't have any kind of interesting conflicted motivations going on. She's about as plain as they come.

The worst part is that she's the author's immature and creepy personification of "that one girl who secretly loved me but was too wild spirited to catch."

(i.e. that girl never really liked you probably because you're a creep, she wasn't playing hard to get she just wasn't into you at all but in your fantasy narratives you can change her motives to be just what you always secretly dreamed they were)

I'd actually typed up a much longer post that quoted several of your posting gems over the past few months, but I figured out I could shrink it all down to this: People might not take your posts so personally if you wouldn't phrase your opinions like facts.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
So I guess some people are Kickstarting playing cards based on the books? And they're getting a shitton of money for it too.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

isochronous posted:

I'd actually typed up a much longer post that quoted several of your posting gems over the past few months, but I figured out I could shrink it all down to this: People might not take your posts so personally if you wouldn't phrase your opinions like facts.
Prefacing every post I make with "I think" or "In my opinion" is pointless, of course I'm aware it's just my opinion: this is a discussion forum. You're being really lovely by quoting a post from seven months ago just to pick a fight.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

isochronous posted:

Sorry, he's right though.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I absolutely agree with your assessment of Denna as a infuriattingly bland character but you could be a little less forceful in presenting that argument.

She is truly horrible though.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

That's because Rothfuss himself is involved. And look at the $150k stretch goal.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
I read this book 2 or 3 years ago and tried re-reading it recently because I had got it in my head that I should read the sequel. I only made it about 1/3rd through though. There's some really interesting bits (mostly everything to do with the history of the world) behind a giant wall of nothing happening and insufferable wish fulfillment main character. I've heard the sequel is even worse regarding this. Is that true?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The wish fulfillment stuff gets a lot worse in the 2nd book so if that was turning you off, you definitely should stay away.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Geek U.S.A. posted:

I read this book 2 or 3 years ago and tried re-reading it recently because I had got it in my head that I should read the sequel. I only made it about 1/3rd through though. There's some really interesting bits (mostly everything to do with the history of the world) behind a giant wall of nothing happening and insufferable wish fulfillment main character. I've heard the sequel is even worse regarding this. Is that true?
The good gets better and the bad gets worse.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP
Looks like there will might be a TV show based on the Kingkiller Chronicles: http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/07/patrick-rothfuss-name-of-the-wind-television-show

I like the books but I am not really excited to see a TV show based on them.

Streebs fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 18, 2013

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
I think it would make for a pretty good TV show. Even the main characters are fairly simplistic and the world is imaginative yet low key, so I think it'd translate well. The narrative has a kind of episodic structure to it too, with overarching goals and lots of smaller self-contained subplots.

Mystery is something that works really well in a TV series and happens to be one of the more compelling parts of the novels. What's hard to adapt from a novel to a mainstream cable series is character nuance, complex plot, and imagery but those aren't really the book's strengths anyways.

The first person structure would allows the inner monologue to come over practically 1:1, and the voice of the Chronicler is a natural choice for passages like

Prologue posted:

...it was the greatest silence of the three, wrapping the others inside itself. It was deep and wide as autumn's ending. I twas heavy as a great river-smooth stone. It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die.

Rothfuss' skill for putting words together means you can still get a lot of impact even without a great actor. I'm thinking of his turns of phrase like

Bast posted:

You do not know the first note of the music that moves me.

Elodin posted:

Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts. There are seven words that will make a person love you. There are ten words that will break a strong man's will. But a word is nothing but a painting of a fire. A name is the fire itself.

Kvothe posted:

He taught only one class: 'Unlikely Maths'. But since the time was listed as "now" and the place, "everywhere," this was hardly helpful in tracking him down.

Skarpi posted:

I only know one story. But oftentimes small pieces seem to be stories themselves.

I think clever phrasing like these can carry the impressions across even without great performances which are generally hard to come by in TV actors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
It won't be as good as Legend of the Seeker.

• Locked thread