Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T3hRen3gade
Jun 7, 2007

Look in my eye,
what do you see?
I had the afternoon to myself so I decided to dust off my old copy of Game of Thrones and give it a second try now that I've fully fallen in love with the show. I tried to read it five years ago, but back then coming in blind I was not prepared for all the incestuous shenanigans and weird Viserys nipple-twisting so I stopped after a hundred pages or so. Now that I can put faces to names (and know how to pronounce them!) I am enjoying it so much more.

I had forgotten how young everyone is compared to the show. In the first chapter they say Ned Stark is only 35 and all the kids are half the age of their TV counterparts. The fact that Dany is only 13 makes her brother's fondling so much more :pedo:

I'm trying to catch up with the thread, which shouldn't take me more than a week or two. This should be fun :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

And the only way for that to happen is for a king to give them recognition, as happens later in the series and is offered (then turned down) in one particular case. It also means that only Robert (or now Stannis) could legitimize Joffery and even then it would only be to make him a Lannister. I imagine that Tywin would sooner make Tyrion his heir than admit to and acknowledge his kids loving each other and that his grandchilden are all the result of incest.

The bit in ACoK is vague on this, so ok.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

House Louse posted:

The bit in ACoK is vague on this, so ok.

How is it vague? Stannis goes over the entire scenario in practically every scene he has, it seems like. Can you pull some quotes out of the book that you find confusing w/r/t bastardry, royal legitimization, whether Joffrey is a legit inheritant, etc?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

How is it vague? Stannis goes over the entire scenario in practically every scene he has, it seems like. Can you pull some quotes out of the book that you find confusing w/r/t bastardry, royal legitimization, whether Joffrey is a legit inheritant, etc?

"Vague" about bastardry and legitimisation, not Joffrey in particular. It's ACoK p230; Bran, Ser Rodrik, and Maester Luwin are discussing an heir for Lord Hornwood. Bran suggests that his bastard be the heir, and Luwin says they have to consider it as there's no alternative. Nothing about how to legitimise or even if it's necessary; they make it sound as if they can just pick someone and drop him into place.

I apologise to anyone who thinks this tangent is a threadshit, by the way, but at least I'm not :spergin: about the names, or magic, or why they use galleys...

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

House Louse posted:

"Vague" about bastardry and legitimisation, not Joffrey in particular. It's ACoK p230; Bran, Ser Rodrik, and Maester Luwin are discussing an heir for Lord Hornwood. Bran suggests that his bastard be the heir, and Luwin says they have to consider it as there's no alternative. Nothing about how to legitimise or even if it's necessary; they make it sound as if they can just pick someone and drop him into place.

I apologise to anyone who thinks this tangent is a threadshit, by the way, but at least I'm not :spergin: about the names, or magic, or why they use galleys...

GRRM addressed this specifically (and inheritance generally) here: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1053/
No spoilers from anything after ACOK.

e: But there are possible spoilers in the right sidebar where it lists Forum topics, so try to stick just to the main text.
Actually I'll just post it here to avoid any problems

quote:

The Hornwood Inheritance and the Whents

[Summary: Maia asks about the Hornwood inheritance, given that Lord Hornwood's sister is not being considered for the lordship but her son is and so is one of his bastards. Given that we have seen female heads of houses (Mormont, Whent, and other examples listed), this doesn't seem to make sense. Moreover, how could Lord Hornwood's wife or a future husband of herself be considered a legitimate holder of her lands over Lord Hornwood's blood relatives. Also, Maia asked about Lady Whent being called the "last of her line" given that a female Whent is listed as married to a Frey, but GRRM did not answer that one.]

Well, the short answer is that the laws of inheritance in the Seven Kingdoms are modelled on those in real medieval history... which is to say, they were vague, uncodified, subject to varying interpertations, and often contradictory.

A man's eldest son was his heir. After that the next eldest son. Then the next, etc. Daughters were not considered while there was a living son, except in Dorne, where females had equal right of inheritance according to age.

After the sons, most would say that the eldest daughter is next in line. But there might be an argument from the dead man's brothers, say. Does a male sibling or a female child take precedence? Each side has a "claim."

What if there are no childen, only grandchildren and great grandchildren. Is precedence or proximity the more important principle? Do bastards have any rights? What about bastards who have been legitimized, do they go in at the end after the trueborn kids, or according to birth order? What about widows? And what about the will of the deceased? Can a lord disinherit one son, and name a younger son as heir? Or even a bastard?

There are no clear cut answers, either in Westeros or in real medieval history. Things were often decided on a case by case basis. A case might set a precedent for later cases... but as often as not, the precedents conflicted as much as the claims.

In fact, if you look at medieval history, conflicting claims were the cause of three quarters of the wars. The Hundred Years War grew out of a dispute about whether a nephew or a grandson of Philip the Fair had a better claim to the throne of France. The nephew got the decision, because the grandson's claim passed through a daughter (and because he was the king of England too). And that mess was complicated by one of the precedents (the Salic Law) that had been invented a short time before to resolve the dispute after the death of Philip's eldest son, where the claimants were (1) the daughter of Philip's eldest son, who may or may not have been a bastard, her mother having been an adulteress, (2) the unborn child of the eldest son that his secon wife was carrying, sex unknown, and (3) Philip's second son, another Philip. Lawyers for (3) dug up the Salic Law to exclude (1) and possibly (2) if she was a girl, but (2) was a boy so he became king, only he died a week later, and (3) got the throne after all. But then when he died, his own children, all daughters, were excluded on the basis of the law he's dug up, and the throne went to the youngest son instead... and meanwhile (1) had kids, one of whom eventually was the king of Navarre, Charles the Bad, who was such a scumbag in the Hundred Years War in part because he felt =his= claim was better than that of either Philip of Valois or Edward Plantagenet. And you know, it was. Only Navarre did not have an army as big as France or England, so no one took him seriously.

The Wars of the Roses were fought over the issue of whether the Lancastrian claim (deriving from the third son of Edward III in direct male line) or the Yorkist claim (deriving from a combination of Edward's second son, but through a female line, wed to descendants of his fourth son, through the male) was superior. And a whole family of legitimized bastard stock, the Beauforts, played a huge role.

And when Alexander III, King of Scots, rode over a cliff, and Margaret the Maid of Norway died en route back home, and the Scottish lords called on Edward I of England to decide who had the best claim to the throne, something like fourteen or fifteen (I'd need to look up the exact number) "competitors" came forward to present their pedigrees and documents to the court. The decision eventually boiled down to precedence (John Balliol) versus proximity (Bruce) and went to Balliol, but those other thirteen guys all had claims as well. King of Eric of Norway, for instance, based his claim to the throne on his =daughter=, the aforementioned Maid of Norway, who had been the queen however briefly. He seemed to believe that inheritance should run backwards. And hell, if he had been the king of France instead of the king of Norway, maybe it would have.

The medieval world was governed by men, not by laws. You could even make a case that the lords preferred the laws to be vague and contradictory, since that gave them more power. In a tangle like the Hornwood case, ultimately the lord would decide... and if some of the more powerful claimants did not like the decision, it might come down to force of arms.

The bottom line, I suppose, is that inheritance was decided as much by politics as by laws. In Westeros and in medieval Europe both.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 9, 2013

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is it just me or does everyone cry all day and night in this book. I'm up to date on the show, how far is the show into the books?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I find the whole bastard lineage interesting considering it's rumored that a Wildling was the father of the Starks at some point (continuing the blood of first men) and hence the Blue Rose

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

GRRM addressed this specifically (and inheritance generally) here: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1053/
No spoilers from anything after ACOK.

Thanks, that shuts me up!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Is it just me or does everyone cry all day and night in this book. I'm up to date on the show, how far is the show into the books?

There's not a 1:1 correlation to the books. In most places, the show is about 35-40% of the way into book 3, but it has changed some storylines, compressed multiple characters into one, invented characters, taken a storyline out of book 5 and advanced it, largely left out at least one side story (with featured scenes in books 1 and 2) that most book readers consider incredibly important and significant, and so on.

But as a very rough rule of thumb, Season 3 of the show will be about the first 60% of book 3.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I'd add as well that if you're thinking of starting reading from where the show is up to - don't. An awful lot of stuff will make absolutely no sense if you do!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
An awful lot of stuff won't make sense either way. :v:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

largely left out at least one side story (with featured scenes in books 1 and 2) that most book readers consider incredibly important and significant, and so on.

Which one was that? Tower of Joy related stuff?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

Which one was that? Tower of Joy related stuff?

Yeah plus House of the Undying

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

After watching two and a half seasons of Game of Thrones, I decided that it was time to jump into the books as well. The one regret I have is that I didn't take my friend's recommendation sooner. Read just over one fourth of A Game of Thrones by now, and there's something about GRRM's prose that just makes you want to keep reading and reading. The guy sure knows how to build momentum.

Also, for some reason I found certain characters (like Bran, Sansa and Dany) completely uninteresting or downright annoying in the series. But in the book I have yet to feel the same about any of them. Their chapters are all just as interesting as the rest.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 11, 2013

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I can't say for Bran but the less I hear about or from Sansa's perspective the better. Dany seems to me to have a particularly good perspective and a lot of that is missed in the series because there's no monologue so it's much harder to get a sense for why she's doing things. I feel that she comes across as petulant rather than determined, for example. She's supposed to be naive but in the series she seems stupid rather than desperate when she takes chances. But I'm only halfway through season 2 in the series.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Sansa definitely starts out dumb as hell but that's the point. At the start she's an ignorant-as-hell Proper Noblewoman and believes all the stories about heroes and princes saving the day. Over the first two books she learns that's not even close to true. In the 3rd book she's starting to become away of the game, and in the 4th she's basically being told how to play it as well as being informed how she's (supposedly) being maneuvered in to a marriage with Robert Arynn's heir, and that once the boy's dead the marriage will mean the north and east powers are directly married and any kids Sansa has with the guy would be heirs to Winterfell and/or the Vale. Although Littlefinger seems to want Sansa himself since she's basically mini-Cat and he's (still) obsessed with Cat which will probably be his downfall.

edit: might want to skip over this if you're not through the books yet.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 14, 2013

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

ulvir posted:

After watching two and a half seasons of Game of Thrones, I decided that it was time to jump into the books as well. The one regret I have is that I didn't take my friend's recommendation sooner. Read just over one fourth of A Game of Thrones by now, and there's something about GRRM's prose that just makes you want to keep reading and reading. The guy sure knows how to build momentum.

Also, for some reason I found certain characters (like Bran, Sansa and Dany) completely uninteresting or downright annoying in the series. But in the book I have yet to feel the same about any of them. Their chapters are all just as interesting as the rest.

I'm not reading that spoiler above but I hope Sansa turns into mini Cersei minus the incest, she's so stereotypically airheaded right now in the series and books (atleast where I'm up to)

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Yeah I kinda feel like Evil Fluffy's post was just mean, starts out with easy book 1 spoilers and jumps straight to the guts of book 4, i mean it's got a bit of a warning in there but be careful if you're just starting out in the series. As you should be of all spoilers, but especially un-marked ones.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
So I'm currently rereading ADWD and just noticed that every Stark man who chops off someone's head as punishment for treason (acting as judge, jury and executioner) in one of the books, later gets killed himself in that same book.

Ned beheads Gared the deserter in AGOT, later gets beheaded himself.
Robb beheads Rickard Karstark in ASOS, later gets killed at the Red Wedding.
Jon beheads Janos Slynt in ADWD, later gets stabbed to death by some of his other underlings.

Going by this pattern, we can probably expect cannibal king Rickon to follow in their footsteps in ADOS (the next odd-numbered book) and suffer the same fate. Because that, as GRRM seems to be telling us, is what it means to be a Stark man and put in a leadership position. Behead and be dead.

Lycaeon
Feb 20, 2013

A closed door is a closed mind.

Joramun posted:

Jon beheads Janos Slynt in ADWD, later gets stabbed to death by some of his other underlings.

We don't have confirmation that Jon's dead...just in a very uncomfortable situation. Besides, other major character deaths were obvious, while this one was left ambiguous (As ambiguous as getting stabbed multiple times can get).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Lycaeon posted:

We don't have confirmation that Jon's dead...just in a very uncomfortable situation. Besides, other major character deaths were obvious, while this one was left ambiguous (As ambiguous as getting stabbed multiple times can get).

While I think his death in this situation would be just kind of dumb and a let down, it does mention him not even feeling the 4th knife once he was on the cold ground which implies he was already dead/moved to Ghost's body. It also sticks to the recurring theme of "Starks taking the noble route instead of the proper one and dying due to it" since all 3 of them could've easily made a more tactical decision and come out on top. But they don't because they're noble to a fault which even Littlefinger mentions at some point iirc. Regardless of the outcome for Jon the area is almost certain to turn in to a bloodbath; especially if Bolton wasn't bullshitting in his letter about having killed Stannis since the Watch will not only want to be rid of the Wildlings in the worst way, but also now have to worry about a batshit crazy guy coming north to kill them for working with Stannis.

Having Jon survive due to quick actions like Wun Wun and/or Wildlings rushing the guys that attacked Jon and getting him to someone that can help (Melissandre) is possible but GRRM was never really one for "it all worked out in the end" kind of stuff in these books.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 21, 2013

Lycaeon
Feb 20, 2013

It's pretty much confirmed that Bolton's letter is a lie (Except for the part about capturing Mance), given that Theon actually made it to Stannis' camp and would have been captured again had Stannis been defeated. Also the camp itself is quite distant from Winterfell, and concealed in the storm.

You may be right about Jon, but I'm not a fan of railroading him into the doomed honorable Stark role. He's a bastard, and should have a different path from that of his family. It's GRRM we're talking about though, so I'm not optimistic. :ohdear:

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Lycaeon posted:

It's pretty much confirmed that Bolton's letter is a lie (Except for the part about capturing Mance), given that Theon actually made it to Stannis' camp and would have been captured again had Stannis been defeated. Also the camp itself is quite distant from Winterfell, and concealed in the storm.

Yeah, this puts the credibility of the letters contents into question, though Theon and Jeyne could have conceivably gone running off while the supposed seven day battle took place. All in all I've started disregarding major off screen deaths where heads end up on spikes above city gates. So far we have Theon doing this with Bran and Rickon and then Manderly doing it with Davos, wouldn't surprise me much if it happened a third time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

cafel posted:

Yeah, this puts the credibility of the letters contents into question, though Theon and Jeyne could have conceivably gone running off while the supposed seven day battle took place. All in all I've started disregarding major off screen deaths where heads end up on spikes above city gates. So far we have Theon doing this with Bran and Rickon and then Manderly doing it with Davos, wouldn't surprise me much if it happened a third time.

Theon's handling of Bran and Rickon raised immediate flags because there's no mention of the dire wolves in any way, plus the way he discusses matters with Reek (skinning/making them unrecognizable) at the time made it really clear that the whole thing was a farce. That he managed to pull it off at all was likely due to the Ironborn being ignorant of the situation with how close the kids are to their Direwolves and being able to get away with it as a result.

I don't think it's implausible for Theon, Jeyne, and possibly others to have escaped prior to or during the battle in the snow. It would also explain why Bolton sent the letter to the Wall demanding their return; after Stannis was dealt with the others couldn't be found so they must have been sent to the Wall and Jon's protection. Honestly I kind of hope Stannis is dead as he was just so painfully bland. Having him dead also puts Davos in a really interesting spot if he manages to get back to White Harbor with Rickon and Shaggydog since the man he swore service to and took the risk for is now dead and by recovering a male heir he just hosed the Boltons out of any claim to Winterfell because nobody's going to doubt it's Rickon if he has a direwolf with him. No direwolf will make things more complicated though since he could just be some little kid then.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Theon's handling of Bran and Rickon raised immediate flags because there's no mention of the dire wolves in any way, plus the way he discusses matters with Reek (skinning/making them unrecognizable) at the time made it really clear that the whole thing was a farce. That he managed to pull it off at all was likely due to the Ironborn being ignorant of the situation with how close the kids are to their Direwolves and being able to get away with it as a result.

I don't think it's implausible for Theon, Jeyne, and possibly others to have escaped prior to or during the battle in the snow. It would also explain why Bolton sent the letter to the Wall demanding their return; after Stannis was dealt with the others couldn't be found so they must have been sent to the Wall and Jon's protection. Honestly I kind of hope Stannis is dead as he was just so painfully bland. Having him dead also puts Davos in a really interesting spot if he manages to get back to White Harbor with Rickon and Shaggydog since the man he swore service to and took the risk for is now dead and by recovering a male heir he just hosed the Boltons out of any claim to Winterfell because nobody's going to doubt it's Rickon if he has a direwolf with him. No direwolf will make things more complicated though since he could just be some little kid then.

Apparently the most obvious indication that its a forgery, is that Ramsay HATED the word "bastard" when referring to anything not just himself

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

CatchrNdRy posted:

Apparently the most obvious indication that its a forgery, is that Ramsay HATED the word "bastard" when referring to anything not just himself

There's about a four or five tells in the Pink Letter that suggests it is a forgery and that the letter isn't from Ramsay

- The letter isn't written in blood. The letter Asha receives in The Wayward Bride is written in the blood of the Ironborn. If Ramsay had flayed the spearwives as the letter suggests, why would he not use the blood like he did when he flayed the Ironborn?

- The letter does not contain a piece of flayed skin. Flayed skin appears to be Ramsay's calling card, since the letter he sends to Roose in ASOS and the letter he sends to Asha in ADWD both contain Theon's flayed skin. Again, he allegedly flayed the spearwives, why not include pieces of their skin?

- Ramsay's writing is lovely because he learned to write as an adult (Asha notes her letter is written in rough spiky hand). Jon does not notice anything amiss with the handwriting in the Pink Letter.

- The Pink Letter's seal is closed with a "smear of pink wax". If the letter was from Ramsay he would have used an official Bolton stamp because he has a hard on for the pride of his House.

(TWOW Spoiler) - The Pink Letter quotes something Theon tells Stannis in the TWOW preview chapter. Theon tell Stannis that Ramsay will "want his Reek back", the Pink letter says exactly that. With Theon and Asha as his prisoners, Stannis is in the best position to produce a credible forgery.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

In It For The Tank posted:

There's about a four or five tells in the Pink Letter that suggests it is a forgery and that the letter isn't from Ramsay

- The letter isn't written in blood. The letter Asha receives in The Wayward Bride is written in the blood of the Ironborn. If Ramsay had flayed the spearwives as the letter suggests, why would he not use the blood like he did when he flayed the Ironborn?

- The letter does not contain a piece of flayed skin. Flayed skin appears to be Ramsay's calling card, since the letter he sends to Roose in ASOS and the letter he sends to Asha in ADWD both contain Theon's flayed skin. Again, he allegedly flayed the spearwives, why not include pieces of their skin?

- Ramsay's writing is lovely because he learned to write as an adult (Asha notes her letter is written in rough spiky hand). Jon does not notice anything amiss with the handwriting in the Pink Letter.

- The Pink Letter's seal is closed with a "smear of pink wax". If the letter was from Ramsay he would have used an official Bolton stamp because he has a hard on for the pride of his House.

(TWOW Spoiler) - The Pink Letter quotes something Theon tells Stannis in the TWOW preview chapter. Theon tell Stannis that Ramsay will "want his Reek back", the Pink letter says exactly that. With Theon and Asha as his prisoners, Stannis is in the best position to produce a credible forgery.

Why would Stannis forge such a letter? The only reason I can think of is to try and con Jon Snow into bringing the Night's Watch down to Winterfell so that Stannis can have some additional troops. It seems out of character for Stannis to attempt something so deceitful.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 22, 2013

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Vigilance posted:

Why would Stannis forge such a letter? The only reason I can think of is to try and con Jon Snow into bringing the Night's Watch down to Winterfell so that Stannis can have some additional troops. It seems out of character for Stannis to attempt something so deceitful.

Desperate times calls for desperate measures. Stannis was willing to burn Edric Storm after Meliandre "proved" her power with the leech ritual, in the middle of a prolonged siege in the middle of a blizzard he might be willing to lie.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

Vigilance posted:

Agreed, I think Mance makes the most sense

SAMB0
Jul 9, 2004

Space Bear.
Destroyer of Worlds.
So I just finished ASOS. Oh my. I managed to stay unspoiled for mostly everything and man definitely didn't disappoint. My question for you book readers, I hope I am posting in the right thread, I just started AFFC and man I am having a really really hard time staying interested. Maybe it's because of the high ASOS left me on and sent me right into chapters of characters I wasn't familiar with? Anyways, is this common feeling and I guess my main question is will this book get better or am I going to have to grind out 1000+ pages to get to the good stuff?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
I'm trying to get a copy of ADWD in paperback, I live in the US. I've done multiple SA searches for any discussion on this but can't seem to land an answer, so sorry if it's popped up before. What is the current best way to get the book in paperback? Do I have to buy the separate two-parter for book 5, or is there somewhere else I can get it? For the record I'm looking for a mass market paperback (smaller size) to match the rest. Sources seem to indicate that it's available outside the US somewhere, but I'm looking for a reliable location to order from. Thanks!

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

SAMB0 posted:

So I just finished ASOS. Oh my. I managed to stay unspoiled for mostly everything and man definitely didn't disappoint. My question for you book readers, I hope I am posting in the right thread, I just started AFFC and man I am having a really really hard time staying interested. Maybe it's because of the high ASOS left me on and sent me right into chapters of characters I wasn't familiar with? Anyways, is this common feeling and I guess my main question is will this book get better or am I going to have to grind out 1000+ pages to get to the good stuff?

You might want to look up This reading order for the books. It works much better than AFFC on its own.

SAMB0
Jul 9, 2004

Space Bear.
Destroyer of Worlds.

whowhatwhere posted:

You might want to look up This reading order for the books. It works much better than AFFC on its own.

Awesome. This may make me not pull my hair out. Thank you!

Lycaeon
Feb 20, 2013

whowhatwhere posted:

Goddammit, I wish I had this list when I started the series. :argh:

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

SAMB0 posted:

Awesome. This may make me not pull my hair out. Thank you!

AFFC isn't bad by any means (well I thought initial Ironmen chapters sort of were boring), it just is paced completely differently. Its more episodic in nature rather than serial and cliffhangery. But I am also big Brienne fan, and I know many aren't.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I really wouldn't read it in that AFFC/ADWD listing.
AFFC has a different focus to the prior three books, it's more about world building than the characters themselves and it picks up a lot more in the end.
ADWD and AFFC were not written to be read with chapters interchanging with each other and if you think the pacing is off now, it'll be way worse that way.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Aurain posted:

I really wouldn't read it in that AFFC/ADWD listing.
AFFC has a different focus to the prior three books, it's more about world building than the characters themselves and it picks up a lot more in the end.
ADWD and AFFC were not written to be read with chapters interchanging with each other and if you think the pacing is off now, it'll be way worse that way.

What? Yes they were. They're originally the same book just split in half, and it shows in that the reading order provided lists the chapters mostly chronologically preserving all reveals as they were meant to happen. The reading order improves both novels dramatically.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Except they're not the same book and were rewritten to be separate volumes because it did not work as a single book, for various reasons. This is the entire point of why AFFC and ADWD aren't one book. A Feast for Crows was written to be read as a single instalment of ASOIAF and ADWD was too.

I'm not saying that a combined read is inferior to it or without merit, but it's not at all the best way to read it for the first time. If GRRM had intended for AFFC and ADWD to be spliced, he'd have released an official ordering to do it, or a combined novel where the chapter orderings are 100% correct and beyond reasoning.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Aurain posted:

Except they're not the same book and were rewritten to be separate volumes because it did not work as a single book, for various reasons. This is the entire point of why AFFC and ADWD aren't one book. A Feast for Crows was written to be read as a single instalment of ASOIAF and ADWD was too.

I'm not saying that a combined read is inferior to it or without merit, but it's not at all the best way to read it for the first time. If GRRM had intended for AFFC and ADWD to be spliced, he'd have released an official ordering to do it, or a combined novel where the chapter orderings are 100% correct and beyond reasoning.

The main reason the book was split was due to size. AFFC and ADWD were originally intended as one book, which is why about 600 pages of ADWD run concurrently with AFFC. It wasn't that they didn't "work" as a single novel, but that combined it would be impossible to publish.

GRRM settled, then, to split the original one novel along geographic lines, resulting in what we have now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

But that's not the whole story because ADWD took another 5+ years to come out.

• Locked thread