Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Why would you endorse VLPs of your games, Paradox, why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

BBJoey posted:

Keep in mind that's Paradox Interactive, so it's not just PDS games.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BBJoey posted:

VLPs of strategy games can sometimes be interesting. I know there was a tutorial mini-VLP of CK that became somewhat popular. I don't think I'd like a VLP of a grand strategy game, but I like to sometimes watch VLPs of Civilization or XCOM or a few other strategy games. Mostly because it's interesting hearing about the thought processes behind the strategic decisions being made alongside watching it happen.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
What have you done Paradox?! By next Sunday, Pewdiepie is going to have hundreds of videos of him yelling like an idiot while playing Victoria II.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Wouldn't endorsing video playthroughs of their games be a good way of advertising them? Paradox Games are different in that they don't have storylines and things to spoil if someone just watches someone else play through them. Each experience is unique, so a person can watch or read a playthrough of a game to get an idea of what they're getting into and then buy it for themselves to experience their own alt-history storyline.

That's how I got into Paradox games anyway!

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

The AAR section of the paradox forums shows that they've been receptive to lets plays for quite some time. I got into EU3 because of a collection of (Kebzero???) AARs that saw him attempt to conquer the entire world without going over the badboy limit and trying to turn the world Tuton. So fun to see him exploit the game so thoroughly with explanations of what he was doing at every step. Might give them another read some day.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Flython posted:

The AAR section of the paradox forums shows that they've been receptive to lets plays for quite some time. I got into EU3 because of a collection of (Kebzero???) AARs that saw him attempt to conquer the entire world without going over the badboy limit and trying to turn the world Tuton. So fun to see him exploit the game so thoroughly with explanations of what he was doing at every step. Might give them another read some day.

They are probably making it official as some kind of jab at Nintendo who basically have started cracking down on all LP's that make any sort of money from Nintendo products.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What have you done Paradox?! By next Sunday, Pewdiepie is going to have hundreds of videos of him yelling like an idiot while playing Victoria II.

This isn't even new, was posted back on Feb 27th.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Why only on YouTube anyway? Did Paradox make a deal with Google or what?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

YF-23 posted:

Presumably because it's the big avenue for Let's Plays.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Yes but why only YouTube? Why not, well, any other video hosting website as well?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Darkrenown posted:

This isn't even new, was posted back on Feb 27th.
Yeah, but Nintendo just changed their policy recently.* I was just joking though.

*E: Well, apparently they made it official at about the same time as you. Youtube only blew up over it recently though.

YF-23 posted:

It's big, and it makes it easier to find Paradox LP's, which might be useful from a marketing perspective. Easier to see what's going on on that front if it's all in one place. I guess youtube might also have some standards that could keep the most unsavory of people from making Let's Commit Genocide LP's?

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 19, 2013

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

YF-23 posted:

Yes but why only YouTube? Why not, well, any other video hosting website as well?
My guess is that they know YouTube's ads and content management won't be shady/scammy and won't tarnish their image too much. It leaves their options open in case a bunch of PI-published material shows up on MalwareTube.ru or whatever.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

BBJoey posted:

Staring at people staring at maps. It's like the most boring Inception possible.

Colonial competitions have to be the most frustrating thing ever. Is there any way to get a colony other than waiting until each side has level 40 settlements and someone runs out of points? France and Britain decided to invest their entire nations into one tiny region in the Scramble for Africa, leaving me (Belgium) and Italy to split the rest of the continent while they squabbled over that for the better part of a decade. They got into the mid 50's before France assumedly ran out of colonial power.

Also, is there a way to reduce the colonial power needed to convert colonies into states? Feels weird in my France game that it takes 1200 points for me to convert Quebec into a state of France, when it takes a fraction of that for my African colonies.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

QuoProQuid posted:

How do I form the South German Confederation or German Empire as Austria? I've beat Prussia to hell and back but there doesn't seem like there is any way for me to reform.

I'm playing NNM.

I cheat like a bastard in Paradox games, so I don't know how easy this is to do in a legit game, but what I did in my A-H NNM game was to take all of Prussia's spherelings for myself, drop Prussia out of GP status (by occupying the entire country until their prestige plummeted) and then added Prussia itself to my sphere.

That allowed me to trigger the creation of the South German Confederation, which is actually Bavaria and I think Wurttemburg? combining to form a single nation. (I think someone mentioned that this is the only decision available on Vanilla V2 and is a trap because this small SGF will immediately hit GP status and thus won't be your sphereling anymore)

I was then immediately able to trigger a second and separate "Inherit the South German Confederation" decision which turns the whole of Austria-Hungary plus the small SGF into a single large SGF. It also adds Alsace-Lorraine as cores.

As a final step, I then had to declare war on France with an Acquire State CB for Alsace-Lorraine. After I took that for myself, I was then able to trigger the "Three Hurrahs for Germany" decision, which combines the large SGF + Prussia + all the small German OPMs into a single huge German Empire.

After that I lost interest in the game because managing all those factory upgrades + railroad construction + filling out my army from 70 brigades to the new maximum of 300 was just too much to handle. I feel like I'm Cato the Elder here when I say that Victoria 2 really needs an "automatic upgrade X thing as hard as your cash or your minimum cash slider setting will allow" button, an "automatic dump state funds into Capitalist projects as hard as your cash will allow" button, and the ability to designate "army templates" that will just build a "set" of 10 or 14 or 20 brigades or whatever in one go if your pops support it.

Maybe if/when Paradox does a The Great War DLC. Hell, I wish they'd integrate HOI3's Army Group/Theater-level AI command of the military while they're at it.

YF-23 posted:

I'm pretty sure this is a just a shot across the bow from Nintendo's recent stance when it comes to VLPs of their games. "Yeah, we heard about what Nintendo did, so we just want to let all the Paradox fans know that for what it's worth, we believe in the total opposite"

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I hadn't even heard Nintendo had done anything, but then again I had nothing to do with this either. As far as I know, a while back some VLP makers asked about making money from their Youtube videos and/or Youtube starting removing some, so Publishing thought about it for a bit and decided to hand out a general pass. Here's the announcement thread if you;d like to read it:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?671169-Monetizing-from-Youtube-videos-containing-Paradox-Interactive-material!

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

I hadn't even heard Nintendo had done anything, but then again I had nothing to do with this either. As far as I know, a while back some VLP makers asked about making money from their Youtube videos and/or Youtube starting removing some, so Publishing thought about it for a bit and decided to hand out a general pass. Here's the announcement thread if you;d like to read it:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?671169-Monetizing-from-Youtube-videos-containing-Paradox-Interactive-material!

Yeah I found it on one of the RPS guys' twitters, probably as a response to the whole Nintendo thing.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

YF-23 posted:

I'm pretty sure that if you contacted Paradox and asked permission to run a VLP elsewhere they wouldn't mind.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Please inform Mr. Wester that he still retains the rights to all Paradox-game based audio and should monetize that ASAP, thank you.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 19, 2013

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

sniper4625 posted:

Please inform Mr. Wester that he still retains the rights to all Paradox-game based audio and should monetize that ASAP thank you.

Ah, the incredibly annoying trumpet whenever you clicked the Realm Management screen in CK1 :allears:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Beamed posted:

Ah, the incredibly annoying trumpet whenever you clicked the Realm Management screen in CK1 :allears:

Dun DUN!

I actually loaded up CK1 the other day and I forgot how much that sound happens.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Regence posted:

Staring at people staring at maps. It's like the most boring Inception possible.

Colonial competitions have to be the most frustrating thing ever. Is there any way to get a colony other than waiting until each side has level 40 settlements and someone runs out of points? France and Britain decided to invest their entire nations into one tiny region in the Scramble for Africa, leaving me (Belgium) and Italy to split the rest of the continent while they squabbled over that for the better part of a decade. They got into the mid 50's before France assumedly ran out of colonial power.

Also, is there a way to reduce the colonial power needed to convert colonies into states? Feels weird in my France game that it takes 1200 points for me to convert Quebec into a state of France, when it takes a fraction of that for my African colonies.

Colonial competitions are supposed to turn into crises eventually, but if other stuff keeps popping up, then yeah, the only thing to do is wait it out. I think colonial power to create a state is based on population, but I'm not really sure. Either way, you don't really get to create that many states until late game.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

sniper4625 posted:

No mention of audio, I notice! :colbert:

Not sure if you can copyright the "sperg droning" on most Let's Plays.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Dun DUN!

I actually loaded up CK1 the other day and I forgot how much that sound happens.

I'd render it more as "do-DEE DEE!", but yeah, we quite often bring that up when talking about sound direction.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Darkrenown posted:

I'd render it more as "do-DEE DEE!", but yeah, we quite often bring that up when talking about sound direction.

Way to reveal the unannounced trumpet DLC for CK2. Marketing is gonna have your head for this.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
As long as be keep Falalalan under wraps it's all good :ssh:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Darkrenown posted:

As long as be keep Falalalan under wraps it's all good :ssh:

Just a free tip for you/Johan/marketing, I only read dev diaries for EUIV to see if they mention Falalalan. Only way I'll preorder is confirmation of Falalalan in EUIV :colbert:.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Darkrenown posted:

I also really tend to hate the siege noises in EUIII, and will try never have an army active while besieging so that I can think clearly.

You know what dives me wife fuckin' nuts when I'm playing? The crying baby sound. I can machine gun dudes all day long in Extreme Machinegunner IV, drop bombs in flight sims, whatever, not a peep out of her. I start turning out babies in CKII and she can be on the other side of the house and will make an annoyed comment about it.

She like the series though, used to play CK1 a ton and is looking forward to digging into II when she finishes her degree program next year, and she only complains about the baby noise when I'm playing. My theory is it's like it's an unexpected jab in her biological clock or something. :ohdear:

EDIT: I wear headphones for CKII. :v:

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

My theory is it's like it's an unexpected jab in her biological clock or something. :ohdear:

what

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I think its a pretty solid idea. Like that other dude mentioned, there are no spoilers. And I know a lot of people who got turned off to these games because it looks complicated, and a video LP is a better tutorial than the actual tutorials are.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Sorry, we're getting near the age where we probably need to make up our minds one way or another if we intend to have kids, so the joke is that the crying baby sound is triggering the ol' biological clock (procreate now or else), and ambiguity thereof, and is thus annoying/aggravating.

Well. She thought it was a funny explanation. :shobon:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Yeah, the crying baby sound makes both my aunt and my cousin start looking around all confused.

Spirit Tree
Jan 22, 2007
Photosynthesising

DrProsek posted:

Just a free tip for you/Johan/marketing, I only read dev diaries for EUIV to see if they mention Falalalan. Only way I'll preorder is confirmation of Falalalan in EUIV :colbert:.

I think it was already in CK2 as a reworked version under the name of intaberna?

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)

Spirit Tree posted:

I think it was already in CK2 as a reworked version under the name of intaberna?

I first heard Falalalan today, and it certainly sounds like there is some musical reference to it in the CK2 soundtrack, at the very least.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Spirit Tree posted:

Yeah, it is, but it's not quite the same without the chorus of FALALALALALALA!

EDIT: Personally, I think it should be in all Paradox games. Including Hearts of Iron. :colbert:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Spirit Tree posted:

Well why else did you think in taberna was the best CK2 music? :colbert:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

You guys leave your sound on when playing Paradox games? :crossarms: I haven't done that since they removed Falalalan from EU3.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Beamed posted:

You guys leave your sound on when playing Paradox games? :crossarms: I haven't done that since they removed Falalalan from EU3.

I did mod out the monthly '$$ching!$$' noise for EUIII, because at high speed the game sounds like ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!
ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!
ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching
!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!
ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!ching!

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

YF-23 posted:

Well why else did you think in taberna was the best CK2 music? :colbert:

I never put two and two together there...

That's why that song (if it's the one I'm thinking of) was so drat catchy!

e: VVV 10 seconds in, this is it.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The Narrator posted:

I never put two and two together there...

That's why that song (if it's the one I'm thinking of) was so drat catchy!

It oughta be.

• Locked thread