Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

priznat posted:

Pretty Un-cool wagon, but has anyone tried out the new (2014) Kia Rondo? Looking at options to replace my wife's 10 year old Pathfinder and want to move away from SUVs with crap gas mileage.

The Rondo and the Mazda5 are currently what I'm considering, haven't checked out either at dealerships yet. Needs a good amount of room for 1+ kids and a couple dogs, those looked like good options. I think she already nixed the Ford Flex for being weird looking.
Mazda5 is officially a minivan, what with the sliding doors and all. I like them, or at least the idea of them, as I haven't had the chance to drive one. Six seats, sliding doors for easy in/out, you can get it with a goddamn manual transmission. What's not to like?

Also, tell your wife a man on the internet says SHE'S weird-looking for saying that about the Flex. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Just spent close to $1000 on new struts all around for my 98 Legacy. After 180k miles on the streets of San Francisco and I-80 they had given up on life. It's like driving a new car, no longer do my wheels skip over all the bumps and it doesn't make nearly as many weird clunks anymore. Feels good.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Left Ventricle posted:

Mazda5 is officially a minivan, what with the sliding doors and all. I like them, or at least the idea of them, as I haven't had the chance to drive one. Six seats, sliding doors for easy in/out, you can get it with a goddamn manual transmission. What's not to like?

Also, tell your wife a man on the internet says SHE'S weird-looking for saying that about the Flex. :colbert:

I know, I think the Flex is kinda neat myself. Might be a bit out of the budget though. Same with the Jetta wagon, although that is an option. I do have an almost pathological dislike of Audi/VW products though after an Audi 100 I owned literally blew up despite being well cared for (water pump seized up, everything runs off that timing belt or something). Audi wasn't owned by VW when that was made, but the hatred dies hard and gets transferred to whatever I see fit. (except lamborghini, since I'll never own one anyway)

The Mazda5 is a mini-minivan somewhat, it's almost in the "tall wagon" category but I wasn't really considering it a wagon in this context. The new Rondo does look pretty wagon-y, also tall like the Flex but has that drat nice new Kia design aesthetic. I really like how their cars look these days, honestly. I'd love a Sportage SX for myself, personally.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm going to go look at a Dacia Logan this week as a possible replacement for my wife's Peugeot. A lot of car for £7k new.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

priznat posted:

Pretty Un-cool wagon, but has anyone tried out the new (2014) Kia Rondo? Looking at options to replace my wife's 10 year old Pathfinder and want to move away from SUVs with crap gas mileage.

The Rondo and the Mazda5 are currently what I'm considering, haven't checked out either at dealerships yet. Needs a good amount of room for 1+ kids and a couple dogs, those looked like good options. I think she already nixed the Ford Flex for being weird looking.

I don't believe Kia makes the Rondo anymore?..Not on their website anyway.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

angryhampster posted:

Not in the US but it lives on in other markets

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

priznat posted:

We have both a 2006 and a 2012 Mazda 5. They are good on gas, they drive great, and they can fit 6 people in a pinch. Highly recommended.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

angryhampster posted:

They skipped 2013 (and the previous version was an ugly thing) but the 2014 just came out in Canada. Looks like it is the last of their line to get the new look refresh.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
If the Flex is out for looking "weird," then the Transit Connect is really out, right?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

If the Flex is out for looking "weird," then the Transit Connect is really out, right?

The Transit Connect is out because it's a van. The only word more terrifying to Ford than wagon is minivan, so if they can't call it that then the next best word is wagon I guess.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The ford C-Max hybrid is pretty neat looking. Has their funky new aston-martinesque grille.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Friar Zucchini posted:

The Transit Connect is out because it's a van. The only word more terrifying to Ford than wagon is minivan, so if they can't call it that then the next best word is wagon I guess.

Yes but the SWB Transit Connect is nearly a foot shorter than the Mazda 5. If you're going to include the Mazda 5 or Kia Rondo, then I don't think it's that much of a stretch in terms of definitions since they're all minivans anyway.

Obviously it's still more a commercial vehicle, but with the upcoming facelift and marketing for the passenger version, it seems like an interesting alternative / comedy option.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

Yes but the SWB Transit Connect is nearly a foot shorter than the Mazda 5. If you're going to include the Mazda 5 or Kia Rondo, then I don't think it's that much of a stretch in terms of definitions since they're all minivans anyway.

Neither the Kia Rondo, Mazda5, or Ford C-Max are wagons either. Wagons are sedan-based, and usually have a long, flat roof and near fullsize rear side windows. No sedan version? Not a wagon. The Focus 5-door is a hatchback. Why is this so hard?

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 21, 2013

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Cream_Filling posted:

priznat posted:

The ford C-Max hybrid is pretty neat looking. Has their funky new aston-martinesque grille.

Cream_Filling posted:

Obviously it's still more a commercial vehicle, but with the upcoming facelift and marketing for the passenger version, it seems like an interesting alternative / comedy option.

Franco Caution posted:

We have both a 2006 and a 2012 Mazda 5. They are good on gas, they drive great, and they can fit 6 people in a pinch. Highly recommended.

These are NOT wagons or Avants or Touring or any loving extension of the "wagon" world. These do NOT belong in this thread.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Strange, consumer reports has "body style: Wagon" right in the c-max review. It also named the Mazda5 "Best 3 row Wagon".

I'll leave you to it though, sorry about that! Enjoy your thread.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm always amazed how aggro people get about hatchback vs wagon, and how many different qualifications different people give as to what makes the difference. I generally describe wagons as being able to hold full height cube-shaped objects, with hatchbacks having a slope that prevents this - but really, what does it matter?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

DropShadow posted:

Neither the Kia Rondo, Mazda5, or Ford C-Max are wagons either. Wagons are sedan-based, and usually have a long, flat roof and near fullsize rear side windows. No sedan version? Not a wagon. The Focus 5-door is a hatchback. Why is this so hard?

So does the current Jetta wagon not count because it's based on a hatchback?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Steve French posted:

That would actually still meet the criteria since the Jetta is a sedan, and the related hatch is called the Golf.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

That would actually still meet the criteria since the Jetta is a sedan, and the related hatch is called the Golf.

Except that the current Jetta wagon is based on the Golf, and is sold as a Golf elsewhere, and is really an entirely different car from the Jetta sedan of the same model year.

And there is a Focus sedan.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You are all hating on each other for very little reason.

Here, have a picture of my red 4 door station wagon:

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Steve French posted:

So you're asking if the wagon is a wagon because the hatchback exists?

The Focus hatchback is still not a wagon.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 22, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

D-pillar and near-vertical rear door? Wagon.

Cakefool posted:

I'm going to go look at a Dacia Logan this week as a possible replacement for my wife's Peugeot. A lot of car for £7k new.

If you can live with the lack of fancy-pants features and the 'meh' styling, it's a whole lot of well-tested car for the money, being based on a previous-gen Renault and all. Considering their target markets, I would expect it to be more rugged as well.

radikewlism
Jan 4, 2007
My 9-5 wagon has some issues right now so I'm whipping the roadmaster to day. Trying to sell it mostly but man this big bitch always makes me smile.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Steve French posted:

Except that the current Jetta wagon is based on the Golf, and is sold as a Golf elsewhere, and is really an entirely different car from the Jetta sedan of the same model year.

And there is a Focus sedan.

But it's sold as a Jetta here. Variant models often lag behind the mainstream model for platform updates or refreshes. And if you want to go down the platform sharing route, basically every carmaker shares platforms between various models. Also, there is a Focus wagon, so what are you trying to say?

Personally, I go for the "D pillar + roofline extends to over 50% of the cargo area or past the rear wheel well" definition, with the former being flexible. Back in the SUV era, you could try and make a distinction between car-based and truck-based platforms, but nowadays crossovers are all car based and they're a grey area.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 22, 2013

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

Also, there is a Focus wagon, so what are you trying to say?
It might be useful to mention that they don't sell it in the States, though, only the hatchback.

...Hatch or wagon, whatever you call it, it's better than a sedan though.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Stop arguing post wagons.

Buddy in the local Volvo club runs this car. Bagged, turbo converted, grabs a lot of attention. Cross posting in the awesome thread too.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

DropShadow posted:

So you're asking if the wagon is a wagon because the hatchback exists?

The Focus hatchback is still not a wagon.

No, I'm saying that there is not really a sedan version of the current Jetta wagon because the Jetta wagon is not a Jetta in any sense other than branding, it's a Golf. The Jetta sedan is a different car.

The real point is that who the gently caress cares what the exact defining line of a wagon vs not wagon is?

Here's my wagon:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Steve French posted:

The real point is that who the gently caress cares what the exact defining line of a wagon vs not wagon is?

I don't give a poo poo about the exact defining line; the point is this is a thread for WAGONS in the traditional sense. Not hatchbacks, sedans, trucks, vans, mini-vans, coupes, or whatever-the-fucks have previously been posted in the thread (referring to the c-max, or that ford van thing).

It's starting to turn into the Post AI pictures thread before a photo was required with each post. Now, let's shut up about poo poo that isn't WAGON related, and post more wagon poo poo. Thank you.

My wagon being all dirty and snowy:

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 22, 2013

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I like to think you handbrake backwards into every parking spot :allears:

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Steve French posted:

No, I'm saying that there is not really a sedan version of the current Jetta wagon because the Jetta wagon is not a Jetta in any sense other than branding, it's a Golf. The Jetta sedan is a different car.

Let me get this straight: Your argument is that because there is not a "current" version of the Jetta sedan that the MkV JSW is based on, that means it's not a wagon?

Steve French posted:

Because this is the wagon appreciation thread, dipshit.

Cakefool posted:

I like to think you handbrake backwards into every parking spot :allears:

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

quote ≠ edit

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

LloydDobler posted:

Buddy in the local Volvo club runs this car. Bagged, turbo converted, grabs a lot of attention. Cross posting in the awesome thread too.

I wouldn't slam it so hard, but it's otherwise perfect. Buy your buddy a beer for me (but paid for by you kthanx)

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Steve French posted:

Here's my wagon:

What year is yours?

Also here is mine, since I managed to not cock up the photo this time.

Still on steelies/snows, because I haven't had a chance to wander down to my parent's place and swap wheels.

Not pictured: all the goddamn pollen and dirt, because that thankfully didn't show up in the shot.

035_35 by Zeno~, on Flickr

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Friar Zucchini posted:

It might be useful to mention that they don't sell it in the States, though, only the hatchback.

...Hatch or wagon, whatever you call it, it's better than a sedan though.

The Focus wagon is honestly a pretty good and practical looking wagon. Not excessive drop on the roofline or angle on the rear hatch. Would probably be a strong cross-shop with the Jetta wagon if they sold it in the US (yes I know this will never actually happen, but then again this: http://social.ford.com/your-ideas/technologies/performance/please-bring-focus-wagon-to-us/ ):

Especially the ST:

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Cream_Filling posted:

Especially the ST:

I want that car VERY badly.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Zenostein posted:

What year is yours?

2012. Got it to replace my totalled allroad; I have a really stupid 35 mile commute (one way), so the TDI is real nice for that. Super easy buying experience: the VW dealer walking distance from my house had exactly the car I wanted (blue, manual, no options), I offered $500 under invoice, they agreed, I drove it out of the showroom that day.

I'd really like there to be a Legacy GT wagon in the US again.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Steve French posted:

I'd really like there to be a Legacy GT wagon in the US again.

The Legacy GT Spec-B wagon is just :awesome:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

Especially the ST:
You just had to post it, didn't you. :negative:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Cream_Filling posted:

Especially the ST:

Oooh, that looks fun.

GramCracker posted:

The Legacy GT Spec-B wagon is just :awesome:

That too.

Why can't American car buyers have nice things? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

StandardVC10 posted:

Why can't American car buyers have nice things? :(

Americans don't want wagons or minivans anymore. They haven't for a long time. Those types of cars are not cool, man. Only soccer moms drive those.

...Except soccer moms have moved over to crossovers, so there isn't a market for wagons anymore. The only cars I can think of that still have a true wagon variant in America (my working definition is: long roof version of a sedan) are all German: Jetta, E Class, 3 Series. Audi doesn't really even have a wagon anymore, unless you count the "new" Allroad, which is literally an A4 Avant that has had its ride height increased a few inches. Hell, wagon stalwart Volvo stopped selling the V70 here a couple years ago, though there are rumors they may bring it back.

• Locked thread