Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Annath posted:

Whatever merits Skyward Sword may have had re:story, music, etc, were lost on me because the controls detracted from my experience. I don't want to wave my arms around when playing games.

It's quite easy to attack by just flicking your wrist. Then when poo poo gets real you stand up and get into it. Seriously, that game has some of the best boss fights I've ever played. There's a fencing one where you're on a ship that takes full advantage of the sword mechanics and it's just great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Here's a big obvious reminder that we're probably getting these this year

(Yes I know these are mockups)

This has been widely reported as a PR email pertaining to the last investor meeting.

That's only five games and they're vague on what their 3rd party support is releasing. This is also assuming that nothing gets delayed.

Also why the hell are they touting Wii-Fit as a big release? The previous one wasn't really much of a game and really should not have been a full 50-60 dollar priced thing, it should have been 10 dollars on the e-shop or something.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Here's a big obvious reminder that we're probably getting these this year

(Yes I know these are mockups)

This has been widely reported as a PR email pertaining to the last investor meeting.
I think having those titles this year is an absolute necessity if the Wii U stands any chance into the future (and even then, it's not assured). I'm not sure Mario Kart and Pikmin are system sellers by themselves, so hopefully that Mario game isn't a New Super Mario Bros-style game.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

WendigoJohnson posted:

Also why the hell are they touting Wii-Fit as a big release? The previous one wasn't really much of a game and really should not have been a full 50-60 dollar priced thing, it should have been 10 dollars on the e-shop or something.

Because it sold over 20 million copies?

waffle posted:

hopefully that Mario game isn't a New Super Mario Bros-style game.

Iwata said last year that there would only be one of those per system.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

AngryCaterpillar posted:

The previous one did, but in the end it really wasn't much of a game. Most of the stuff they included with the original is stuff that a few 2 dollar apps do now. They need to give it more actual gameplay sections and stuff like that. Make it exciting and interesting instead of the bland style of it's precursor.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

AngryCaterpillar posted:

That's probably about 18 million more than WiiFit U will sell, and that's me being generous.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Yeah Wii Fit pretty clearly sold millions and millions to the non-gamers that the Wii brought in who have ignored the Wii U.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

WendigoJohnson posted:

The previous one did, but in the end it really wasn't much of a game. Most of the stuff they included with the original is stuff that a few 2 dollar apps do now. They need to give it more actual gameplay sections and stuff like that. Make it exciting and interesting instead of the bland style of it's precursor.

You've got to stop framing your personal preferences as business sense.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I'm not framing it as business sense, I'm framing it as I've played thousands of games and this is my opinion on this single game.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Crowbear posted:

Yeah Wii Fit pretty clearly sold millions and millions to the non-gamers that the Wii brought in who have ignored the Wii U.

Basically. Wii Fit U may take off on its own, but a large part of the Wii's original mass appeal (to families/parents, at least) was "hey, it gets you off the couch", which Wii Fit was a continuation of. The "it's healthy!" gimmick doesn't apply to the Wii U at all, so relying on a repeat of the previous situation is hardly a guarantee.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
edit: Meant for the actual WiiU thread

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 20, 2013

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Space Racist posted:

Basically. Wii Fit U may take off on its own, but a large part of the Wii's original mass appeal (to families/parents, at least) was "hey, it gets you off the couch", which Wii Fit was a continuation of. The "it's healthy!" gimmick doesn't apply to the Wii U at all, so relying on a repeat of the previous situation is hardly a guarantee.

They'd have a place where they can be a "Something for everyone" console. The problem is that they need the software now.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

God I hope so. The Dreamcast loving owned.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Also Wii Fit wasn't that great of a "lose weight" to all the neckbeards who didn't realize that you had to actually diet to lose the many pounds they wanted where they've written it off as a lying disappointment. The first one sold well but it's not out of the realm of possibility to think that the follow up on a lesser bought console isn't going to sell as much.

This is even saying that the Wii Fit was released two years after the Wii had a huge install base. Which if you want to keep track the Wii U doesn't have.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There's also a glut of fitness products on the market now and not just for the Wii, so people may already have their preference and want to stick to it. They may want to stick with the original Wii Fit. Why would they spend $400 to upgrade if Wii Fit already meets their needs?

Runaway Five
Dec 31, 2007
I hate gays almost as much as I hate good posting. Also, God is good. Amen
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/19/smash-bros-mario-mario-kart-in-upcoming-nintendo-direct

Nintendo has confirmed that Mario, Mario Kart and Smash Bros. will appear in a Nintendo Direct before E3. The news comes via Nintendo of America’s Twitter account, which wrote “#IwataSays We will discuss new Smash Bros., 3D Mario game, Mario Kart and other Wii U titles in our #NintendoDirectNA before the start of E3.”

Forgive the crosspost from the other Wii-U thread, but I feel this is worthy of it.

It is like Nintendo saw the Internet was unhappy and let this info out.

Smash Bros and a 3D Mario shown BEFORE e3? Count me in Nintendo! Maybe they know they have to move fast to help save the Wii-U.

abigserve posted:

Is anyone actually still excited for new Mario/Smash/Zelda games? Galaxy 2, for instance, only sold about 7 million copies and TP was poorly received. I feel like the pull of these franchises is greatly over-estimated.

Smash Bros has consisently been a system seller. Brawl wasn't the best entry in the series, but it was still a drat fine game. One of the Wii's best titles in my opinion. Sakari said he wanted to make a Smash bros for the Wii-U and the 3DS and somehow have "leveling up of characters" and a communication between the two games. I have faith he could make it work. A customizable Smash Bros game would rule if done right.

Runaway Five fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 20, 2013

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Is anyone actually still excited for new Mario/Smash/Zelda games? Galaxy 2, for instance, only sold about 7 million copies and TP was poorly received. I feel like the pull of these franchises is greatly over-estimated.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Popy posted:

God I hope so. The Dreamcast loving owned.

The best thing about the dreamcast was that Sega let stuff get really loving weird/experimental on the software side, ie: Jet grind Radio, Space Channel 5, Samba De Amigo, MDK2.

Right now there's no indication that's happening on the Wii U. :smith:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

SaberToothedPie posted:

The best thing about the dreamcast was that Sega let stuff get really loving weird/experimental on the software side, ie: Jet grind Radio, Space Channel 5, Samba De Amigo, MDK2.

Right now there's no indication that's happening on the Wii U. :smith:

I know many people MANY PEOPLE who would kill for a Skies of Arcadia II. Hell just as many would do the same for Shenmue III. There was for the longest time a Spiritual Successor to Panzar Dragoon that was set to be released on the 360, but it got canned.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

abigserve posted:

I'm not personally, but I know I'm not the huge majority that still wants Mario/Smash/Zelda games.

I'd prefer another Metroid game.

I mean maybe even take some of the lesser secondary characters and make a world out of it; A zelda game as actually Zelda (as Sheik?), or maybe give Waluigi his own game.

But they probably wouldn't sell as good as the <system>Mario/Smash/Zelda

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

abigserve posted:

The 3D mario games don't sell as well as the New series, but 7 million is nothing to sneeze at. Mario Galaxy 2 was still a totally fantastic experience that took the strongly compelling formula created by the first game and iterated on it in really fun new ways. A new 3D Mario will probably not single handedly save the Wii U, but yes, people definitely still care about those franchises. And they have the potential to sell millions of copies and make back at least some of the money Nintendo lost in the last year or two

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Runaway Five posted:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/19/smash-bros-mario-mario-kart-in-upcoming-nintendo-direct

Nintendo has confirmed that Mario, Mario Kart and Smash Bros. will appear in a Nintendo Direct before E3. The news comes via Nintendo of America’s Twitter account, which wrote “#IwataSays We will discuss new Smash Bros., 3D Mario game, Mario Kart and other Wii U titles in our #NintendoDirectNA before the start of E3.”

Forgive the crosspost from the other Wii-U thread, but I feel this is worthy of it.

It is like Nintendo saw the Internet was unhappy and let this info out.

Smash Bros and a 3D Mario shown BEFORE e3? Count me in Nintendo! Maybe they know they have to move fast to help save the Wii-U.
To be fair, I don't think you should expect many big releases outside of those at E3--they explicitly said they'd be announcing big games during the Nintendo Directs, having demos during E3, and no keynote. So I think those will be the big Wii U games this year/next year.

I think these franchises still have quite a bit of potential, but I also think it's hard to deny that they could be getting a bit long in the tooth--they can definitely move Wii U consoles, but they'll have to be legitimately really good, I think. If a 3D Mario, a Mario Kart game, and a Smash Bros game all come out this holiday season and are all good (better than MK Wii and SMBB), then I think the Wii U has a good chance at a strong holiday season.

waffle fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 20, 2013

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice

abigserve posted:

Wait. Did you just say "only sold 7 million copies"? Are you implying 7 million copies is not a loving huge amount of games sold?

What a world.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

WendigoJohnson posted:

I know many people MANY PEOPLE who would kill for a Skies of Arcadia II. Hell just as many would do the same for Shenmue III. There was for the longest time a Spiritual Successor to Panzar Dragoon that was set to be released on the 360, but it got canned.
Skies of Arcadia is by a group that doesn't exist anymore (Overworks, who also made the Sakura Wars series), the closest thing to that staff-wise has been Valkyria Chronicles, and that appears to be dead too. To recap, SoA is dead, Sakura Wars is dead, and VC is dead, except for browser games and stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

abigserve posted:

The 3D Marios have always been less popular than the 2D Marios. The entire point of Super Mario Land 3D was to try to create a bridge between the 2D and 3D games to try to get the 2D players to try the 3D games. They've flat-out said this was their goal with it. Even despite that "only 7 million copies" is kind of insane considering that most games would kill to sell 7 million copies on a single system.

Twilight Princess' sales numbers were exactly on-par with the expected Zelda numbers. In fact it sold better than any Zelda aside from TOoT. Skyward Sword didn't do as well but it continued to have roughly the same sales numbers as a Zelda franchise game can expect (and which is still remarkably good by most standards.)

Their biggest flop in recent memory was Other M, which sold horribly even for the Metroid franchise, which itself is consistently one of Nintendo's lowest performers. It sold over a million but only after being given a huge discount, which itself is already really rare for a Nintendo product. It's also one of the few games Nintendo has ever admitted to just flat-out failing.

Nintendo franchises are basically the most consistent performers out there besides Call of Duty or Halo. Even when they underperform they still do extremely well by most standards, just not by Nintendo standards. To give another example: For all that New Super Mario Bros U. is underperforming at the moment, it still looks to be doing better than both Gears of War Judgment and God of War Ascension. This isn't good for Nintendo because a high-quality 2D Mario game should be selling significantly better than that but by most standards it would be performing really well.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 20, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Samurai Sanders posted:

Skies of Arcadia is by a group that doesn't exist anymore (Overworks, who also made the Sakura Wars series), the closest thing to that staff-wise has been Valkyria Chronicles, and that appears to be dead too. To recap, SoA is dead, Sakura Wars is dead, and VC is dead, except for browser games and stuff.
Didn't the new Crossover game for the 3DS have Sakura Wars characters though? Granted the game is supposedly terrible but someone out there still owns the rights to it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

It seems like every time the studio those devs are part of gets shut down, they stay within Sega regardless. They were a division of Sonic Team and made the Phantasy Star games before becoming Overworks. So are those guys still sticking around in Sega or have they truly scattered in the wind this time?

edit: I guess the studios never shut down, but were continually reorganized/merged.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 20, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm curious about those titles they'll announce before E3, but I'm more curious about 3rd party support, Nintendo usually releases only one of those franchises per console generation after all.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Only tangentially related but all this E3 talk has got me wondering if E3 is still a big thing? It seems like most announcements and stuff get spread out over a bunch of other gaming conventions now a days. I know it used to be the end all be all but it kinda turned into just another con in my mind.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

WendigoJohnson posted:

Didn't the new Crossover game for the 3DS have Sakura Wars characters though? Granted the game is supposedly terrible but someone out there still owns the rights to it.
Yeah, Sega does, but it doesn't seem like they mean to make another proper game in any of those series.

Amusingly, the live Sakura Wars musicals are still going on.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

SirDan3k posted:

Only tangentially related but all this E3 talk has got me wondering if E3 is still a big thing? It seems like most announcements and stuff get spread out over a bunch of other gaming conventions now a days. I know it used to be the end all be all but it kinda turned into just another con in my mind.
Yeah, I don't think E3 is any bigger of a deal than other games conferences anymore. The fact that Nintendo is skipping out on a keynote wouldn't be a big deal except that I can't really think of a good reason for them to skip a keynote unless they were afraid they'd get overshadowed by Sony and Microsoft.

zarron
Sep 1, 2005

WendigoJohnson posted:

THIS! Skies of Arcadia is my favorite jrpg ever if the Wii U ever got something like that. I would buy a Wii U instantly. NO loving questions asked!

zarron fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 20, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Samurai Sanders posted:

Amusingly, the live Sakura Wars musicals are still going on.

Oh wow, that's something else. Then again the games had an amazing soundtrack, especially the intro. If the Sakura Wars theme doesn't get you pumped you're probably dead.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

waffle posted:

Yeah, I don't think E3 is any bigger of a deal than other games conferences anymore. The fact that Nintendo is skipping out on a keynote wouldn't be a big deal except that I can't really think of a good reason for them to skip a keynote unless they were afraid they'd get overshadowed by Sony and Microsoft.

Oh I don't doubt that's why they pulled out, Wii U sales are crap, the games aren't there and Sony and Microsoft are probably going to show off their new consoles. It's just way to early to call the system dead in the water and even if it is Nintendo jumping out of the console market after cleaning up in the last generation is pretty drat absurd.

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

Y'know, I was one of the posters who argued that Nintendo was over-reliant on their 1st party IPs, but after rethinking, I think the problem is more a certain laziness with how these properties are used. Look at NSMB (2006), NSMB2 (2012) and NSMBU (2012), a series of enjoyable but unimaginative upgrades of the traditional Mario side-scroller.

This is Nintendo's console-launching flagship title? Yea, these games may be fun and moderately successful in and of themselves, but they're not going to sell consoles the way Mario 64 did. For all the Wii U's considerable shortcomings, imagine if the system had launched with Mario Universe in the style of Ni No Kuni:

Or hell, how much money would Nintendo make from a 3D Pokemon game with really well developed online features? You start the game, customize your character, grow your Pokemon, and battle/trade with friends online. Afterwards, you link your game account to Nintendo's iOS/Android/3DS app so you can carry your Pokemon around with you. That would be innovative. And while I'm dreaming, what about a Zelda game developed by a third party, as has been teased for years now.

I guess my point is that people don't love Mario because he's Mario, or Link because he's Link, but because they associate these characters with exciting, innovative videogame entertainment. By flogging the nostalgia horse and churning out lazy cash-ins on their IP popularity, Nintendo is going to ultimately undermine that association, weaken the novelty of their characters, and ultimately turn Mario into the next Sonic the Hedgehog.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Suntory BOSS posted:

Y'know, I was one of the posters who argued that Nintendo was over-reliant on their 1st party IPs, but after rethinking, I think the problem is more a certain laziness with how these properties are used. Look at NSMB (2006), NSMB2 (2012) and NSMBU (2012), a series of enjoyable but unimaginative upgrades of the traditional Mario side-scroller.

This is Nintendo's console-launching flagship title? Yea, these games may be fun and moderately successful in and of themselves, but they're not going to sell consoles the way Mario 64 did. For all the Wii U's considerable shortcomings, imagine if the system had launched with Mario Universe in the style of Ni No Kuni:

Or hell, how much money would Nintendo make from a 3D Pokemon game with really well developed online features? You start the game, customize your character, grow your Pokemon, and battle/trade with friends online. Afterwards, you link your game account to Nintendo's iOS/Android/3DS app so you can carry your Pokemon around with you. That would be innovative. And while I'm dreaming, what about a Zelda game developed by a third party, as has been teased for years now.

I guess my point is that people don't love Mario because he's Mario, or Link because he's Link, but because they associate these characters with exciting, innovative videogame entertainment. By flogging the nostalgia horse and churning out lazy cash-ins on their IP popularity, Nintendo is going to ultimately undermine that association, weaken the novelty of their characters, and ultimately turn Mario into the next Sonic the Hedgehog.

That's why it pissed me off when Reggie said "People wanted a Mario title at launch and they got one, and they still complain. They don't know what they want." (Note: paraphrase)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

NSMB sells because its so derivative. Nintendo makes some pretty awesome original Mario games, but they sell a fraction of what those things do. Its pretty depressing.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

homeless snail posted:

NSMB sells because its so derivative. Nintendo makes some pretty awesome original Mario games, but they sell a fraction of what those things do. Its pretty depressing.

I honestly think those sales are deserved. The Super Mario Galaxy games are solid, but they just don't compare to New Super Mario Bros. Wii (or Wii U, based on the special world stages I got to play at a friend's house).

Suntory BOSS posted:

For all the Wii U's considerable shortcomings, imagine if the system had launched with Mario Universe in the style of Ni No Kuni:

What does this even mean? This is just saying you want a 3D Mario with a unique graphical style. How is that really any better than another top-shelf 2D Mario?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

What does this even mean? This is just saying you want a 3D Mario with a unique graphical style. How is that really any better than another top-shelf 2D Mario?

Nino Kuni had a big rear end story, loads of exploration, and this was ontop of traditional RPG gameplay. You can have a big rear end story and have heavily explorable areas in a platformer as well. There was also quite a few hours of voice work too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

homeless snail posted:

Yea I think NSMB for the Wii sold something insane like 25 million, versus 10 million that Galaxy did.

Its a shame really, every Mario title has always looked vastly different from its predecessors, from gameplay to the art style and we've had 4 Mario titles that are basically the same, if anything I feel they took a step back, primarily in the music, they added an unusual sound effect to all the songs like a "bwah" or something like that and it just ruins all the tracks for me.

• Locked thread