Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Surprise: The album is really freaking good. Every track sounds masterfully done and its just tons of fun and super funky. Instant Crush is catchy beyond belief and my favorite so far for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And a review I actually find myself agreeing with. Huh.

That almost never happens with Pitchfork :wtf:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Way to go Pitchfork, or should I say Dadfork.

Popcorn posted:

Pitchfork's score is the only one I ever pay attention to when albums come out. That's not because I need them to tell me what I like, but because they're the ultimate taste-setting kingmakers in the music world. It's like making an offering to the gods.

e: to clarify further, I mean it's interesting to see how they respond to things, because they're the daddies of indie cred.
Is this still the case? I think it was more true back when they were one of the few sites that reviewed everything, 8.0+ was a rarer score, and they were overall a bit more unpredictable. But for a while now they seem pretty much status-quo.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 20, 2013

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Man, this reminds me of the last paragraph of their 6.4 review of Discovery.

quote:

Prog and disco have never openly begged for their own hybrid, but the genres' newborn Frankenbaby is alive, whether we like it or not. Still, this beast, however grotesque, is relatively harmless-- rather than running amok in the village and snapping the necks of civilians, it only wants to "celebrate and dance so free, one more time." Just don't let it sing.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Pretty strange that the critic reviewed it from a personal taste standpoint instead of explaining what an anonymous listener might experience. Pitchfork is generally pretty good about that (minus all their output at the beginning of the last decade).

I agree with his score but I don't agree at all with the specific things he enjoyed and didn't enjoy. The pacing is my least favorite thing about this record but the author praised the sequencing pretty highly. I guess the only tracks I skip while I listen are Within and Motherboard so percentage wise that's an 85. So yeah if I had a blog it would be included in my Best New Music featurette.

I fear we're all out of things to discuss now that the verdict is in from Pitchfork :ohdear: Hope the Get Lucky video is right around the corner.

Edit: Also, I have no idea what that guy is on about when he correlates Digital Love to Fragments of Time.

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 20, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AwwJeah posted:

I fear we're all out of things to discuss now that the verdict is in from Pitchfork :ohdear: Hope the Get Lucky video is right around the corner.

There's always the possibility of a Julian Casablancas collaborators video :v:

Modest Mike
Oct 23, 2008

Upon your feet you have ten toes, they look just like...
po-ta-toes!

AwwJeah posted:

They already said they aren't doing videos for this album so unless something has changed that's not really a point of discussion.

Anyways, i'm surprised Pitchfork scored it so favorably. I'm all for people enjoying music in many different ways and forms i just wish i could find a bit more to like in this album... maybe some remixes will fix my issues with the meandering of this album.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh, and now there's THIS!

http://www.youredm.com/2013/05/19/kanye-west-debuts-black-skinhead-produced-by-daft-punk/

Not sure who here heard Kanye's new tracks he debuted on Saturday Night Live last night, but one of them was called Black Skinhead and it was loving out of this world. Sounded like he took several steps forward and made something really incredible.

And now the writer of a Rolling Stone article on Daft Punk (which is coming out soon) confirms that Daft Punk produced Black Skinhead!

Just another reason to love it! :dance:

Here's the video for Black Skinhead in case you missed it:
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/kanye-west-black-skinhead/n36982

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!

Modest Mike posted:

They already said they aren't doing videos for this album so unless something has changed that's not really a point of discussion.

Can I get a link to them stating this? Not that I doubt you really, I just haven't heard anything about it and the idea of them not having any new videos really surprises me considering they're so well known for their consistently outstanding videos. I just figured the clips of the band jamming on transparent instruments and rocking out in front of a sunset were teasers for a longer video.

Edit: Nevermind, found a quote from Bangalter after some wrangling with Google.

quote:

For now, there won't be any clip. The record was made in studio pretty much old school, we're going to find back the the spirit of the great shows of the giant billboards on Sunset Boulevard for bands like The Doors, Led Zeppelin. On certain tv shows, we send 15 or 60 seconds spots. One, we don't want to put too much image in the mind of people, that's all, and the absence of visuals around the Beatles doesn't bother us, which in fact opens even more their music. After, it won't be the same anymore because of videoclips. Our vision is: there, the record's here, listen to it, dive in it, we'll see after...

Kind of a bummer. I mean, I get the idea of wanting to capture the essence of the pre-MTV era, but DP is a very visual band who very much exist in the post-MTV era. Hell, as it is the two sounds co-exist in the recording.

AwwJeah fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 20, 2013

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Ha! Really interesting read on the Pitchfork review:

Mark Richardson posted:

...though everything about RAM, from the session musicians to the guests to the means of production, is meant to sound more “human,” the album at points sounds more sterile, almost too perfect. To my ears, this quality isn’t necessarily to its detriment, as much of its appeal ultimately comes from its surface beauty, the sheer gorgeousness of the overall sound. But I suspect this feeling is at the root of why, judging from early reviews, some listeners were underwhelmed.

to my counterpoint:

me posted:

Sterile production devoid of any character is really what has let this album get away from my enjoyment. It's unfortunate, but it's the product of the times. A record released today with recording engineering and the amount of technology we have at our disposal (laptop or not) is going to sound great - and to me, that works to the detriment of records like this.

Just funny that we used the same terms.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I think the album sounds beautifully sterile, and that is appropriate for some funkbots. They reproduce everything almost too perfectly, they can't help it.

Black Skinhead is awesome and if DP helped produce it then this is a great year for music indeed.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

AwwJeah posted:

Can I get a link to them stating this? Not that I doubt you really, I just haven't heard anything about it and the idea of them not having any new videos really surprises me considering they're so well known for their consistently outstanding videos. I just figured the clips of the band jamming on transparent instruments and rocking out in front of a sunset were teasers for a longer video.

It's in French, but they mention it in their interview with Rock & Folk magazine.
http://www.numeriques.info/Rock549/bb6489f7dc4c46f1031ccaf23ba9125e76bb6fbefcde17701df5fe756ef0ef3f71cd5b4f9b96ba455de1d77c6e95a0ab (page 79)

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Thanks to all this Pitchfork talk I just learned that there's a new Scout Niblett album.

Awesome.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I just can't stop listening to Instant Crush, what a marvellous song. I think I prefer the radio edit of Get Lucky as the album version is a tad repetitive...

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

henpod posted:

I just can't stop listening to Instant Crush, what a marvellous song. I think I prefer the radio edit of Get Lucky as the album version is a tad repetitive...

The radio edit for me is worse only because its missing the intro

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

I think someone's already brought this up, but Donald Fagan singing Fragments of Time would be perfection.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Are we sure this isn't an impostor pitchfork?

I got to listen to this on a hi-fi set up over the weekend, it's definitely a different experience when each instrument has it's own space. The bass is a lot easier to pick out. You can hear what sounds like an alternate take of JC way down in the mix of instant crush that sounds more like what I'd expect his part would sound like. It almost sounds like they had him record a regular take and a falsetto-ish take and then only used the latter. "lose yourself to dance" made me laugh when played on floor speakers, the "c'mon c'mon c'mon" starting out panned so far to the left and right sounds like some gimmick stuff someone would try when stereo went big.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

As someone who does not read Pitchfork that often, my question for those of you who have stronger opinions about the site is: How much do the reviewers personalities impact scoring? Is it know that Mark Richardson is stricter/easier, is in love with particular characteristics in an album, or any other similar personal quirks?

Also I think it's interesting that Richardson doesn't really talk about this as a dance music album at all (which makes plenty of sense).

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

And a review I actually find myself agreeing with. Huh.

That almost never happens with Pitchfork :wtf:

Yeah, I don't usually like Pitchfork, but that's a really good review. Makes a lot of good points, and the reviewer has clearly spent a lot of time listening to it critically. Good stuff.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Yeah, I don't usually like Pitchfork, but that's a really good review. Makes a lot of good points, and the reviewer has clearly spent a lot of time listening to it critically. Good stuff.

Why do I get the impression people wouldn't think this if Pitchfork (boo hiss!) hadn't liked the album?

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Popcorn posted:

Why do I get the impression people wouldn't think this if Pitchfork (boo hiss!) hadn't liked the album?

Actually, some people would, the people who didn't like the album. But, since they gave it a positive review, the people who DID like the album tend to agree with it. Make sense?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I really hope if you only listened to the album once and decided it wasn't for you, that you give it a second and third chance. The album didn't really "click" for me until the 4th time through.

"Touch" still sucks, though.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Popcorn posted:

You were in here before that review came out. People here were already saying a lot of points he makes in the review: All their albums are different in big ways, their attempt to make a pre-80's event album, that there's humor underlying a lot of it, the irony of the whole thing sounding sterile compared to Discovery. Why is it so weird that they agree with a review that read like a booster here wrote it? When I read it the thing that popped out to me was how on spot all the people here who did AND didn't like the album hit on a lot of the same subjects discussed in the PF review.

I wouldn't have cared much about the score if it was lower so I'm not going to pretend to care much about it being high. I'm a lot more interested in the write-up and talking about that.

People here were agreeing with and discussing a low scored pitchfork review before any review even existed, in addition to asking people who like it to justify and explain themselves. If you want to talk about disingenuous stupid behavior while discussing reviews and albums lets start there.

Personally I think they gave the whole thing a big leg up by mentioning it in the context of pre-walkman album albums.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 20, 2013

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Popcorn posted:

If it were a negative review rather than a positive one it would be completely different, but hey, if it was still as well-written and considered as this one I'd like to think most people would still acknowledge it as a good review, even if it was one they disagreed with.

Either way, it's a hypothetical that didn't happen so who gives a poo poo?

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

Popcorn posted:

If it makes you feel better you can go back to discussing what a failure Human After All was.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I wonder how many more people would like Touch if it started at 1:50.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Cynic Jester posted:

I wonder how many more people would like Touch if it started at 1:50.
Actually that's the point at which I want to skip it.

edit: the intro is out of place on the album too, but it's not unpleasant, whereas as soon as the vocals kick in I'm just like "okay, next track."

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

swmmrmanshen posted:

As someone who does not read Pitchfork that often, my question for those of you who have stronger opinions about the site is: How much do the reviewers personalities impact scoring? Is it know that Mark Richardson is stricter/easier, is in love with particular characteristics in an album, or any other similar personal quirks?

Also I think it's interesting that Richardson doesn't really talk about this as a dance music album at all (which makes plenty of sense).

I remember reading a while back that the numeric score is an aggregated vote from multiple members of their staff or something (an average? I dunno) whereas the text of the review itself is authored by just one person. It kinda makes sense because sometimes the score is pretty incongruent with the written review (though I don't know if that is true in this case, I haven't read it yet).

edit: after reading the review, it sounds more like the tone of one where the album scores in the 7.0-8.0 range especially because the reviewer basically dismisses the entire first half of the LP. :shrug:

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 20, 2013

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So my vinyl copy just got here from Amazon. I seem to have received two codes to download RAM online. Is this normal or did I "Get Lucky" :smug:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Efexeye posted:

I really hope if you only listened to the album once and decided it wasn't for you, that you give it a second and third chance. The album didn't really "click" for me until the 4th time through.

"Touch" still sucks, though.

I've tried a few times already to get into it and still dislike RAM quite a bit.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

sethsez posted:

If it were a negative review rather than a positive one it would be completely different, but hey, if it was still as well-written and considered as this one I'd like to think most people would still acknowledge it as a good review, even if it was one they disagreed with.

I'd like to think so too, but people tend to praise/bash reviews (Pitchfork especially) based on how much their score reflects the listener's own tastes, rather than the quality of the journalism. But arts criticism isn't the same thing as reviewing electrical appliances. (e: I should retract my previous own snottiness though, there was no reason to accuse Spring Types of doing this.)

It was a good review; the point about the potential elitism of Daft Punk's self-confessed philosophy is a very good one. I personally find their self-appointed mission to "bring life back to music" really weird and snotty. Thanks for saving music, Daft Punk (???).

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 20, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Frenchmen, after all

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

I've tried a few times already to get into it and still dislike RAM quite a bit.

That's fair, at least you gave it a chance. I'm just hoping everyone does.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Popcorn posted:

I'd like to think so too, but people tend to praise/bash reviews (Pitchfork especially) based on how much their score reflects the listener's own tastes, rather than the quality of the journalism. But arts criticism isn't the same thing as reviewing electrical appliances. (e: I should retract my previous own snottiness though, there was no reason to accuse Spring Types of doing this.)

Eh, I'm not even like a huge fan of the album. I like it, but I've only been coming back to three or four of the tracks since the first couple of days of listening to it. Hell, I'm not even really a fan of Daft Punk in general; this is the first album of theirs I've listened to all the way through more than once, and previously I had only really been familiar with "the hits". I just thought it was a well written review, and pretty spot on in its critique of the album.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Popcorn posted:

It was a good review; the point about the potential elitism of Daft Punk's self-confessed philosophy is a very good one. I personally find their self-appointed mission to "bring life back to music" really weird and snotty. Thanks for saving music, Daft Punk (???).

I think people are misinterpreting their intentions as being more snotty than they actually are. they said in an interview that they aren't saying "laptop music" shouldn't be made or that it was a judgmental decision, but more that they wanted to explore and show that music maybe could still be made in other ways, and that people with means to experiment (money/connections) used to do that in music more, so they wanted to bring that idea back. I can see the misinterpretation, but I think DP sincerely just wanted to experiment and go to emotional corridors that might be harder to reach in some ways by their more traditional sounds/methods. Also I don't buy the idea that they would maintain any animosity or malice for the style of music that established them in the first place.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Skeezy posted:

So my vinyl copy just got here from Amazon. I seem to have received two codes to download RAM online. Is this normal or did I "Get Lucky" :smug:

Ugh, I'm jealous. I placed my order the day it was available on Amazon and it didn't ship out unti today :argh:

Anyway, yeah, you're lucky.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

quadratic posted:

Ugh, I'm jealous. I placed my order the day it was available on Amazon and it didn't ship out unti today :argh:

Anyway, yeah, you're lucky.

Holy poo poo what, aren't they usually good with release day arrival?

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

Skeezy posted:

Holy poo poo what, aren't they usually good with release day arrival?

Release day in the States is tomorrow. They've gotten better at figuring out when things will actually get there, for me at least. I got shipping notice on Saturday, but it didn't actually get picked up from KY until today and it's expected to be delivered tomorrow.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

mints posted:

Release day in the States is tomorrow. They've gotten better at figuring out when things will actually get there, for me at least. I got shipping notice on Saturday, but it didn't actually get picked up from KY until today and it's expected to be delivered tomorrow.

I preordered the thing last Wednesday and it shipped out Saturday and arrived in Miami this morning. I guess I just lucked out for once :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plogo
Jan 20, 2009
Collaborator Todd Edwards made last weeks essential mix. https://soundcloud.com/everybodywantstobethedj/todd-edwards-essential-mix It's pretty great, features his edits of a bunch of the other collaborators works and daft punk as well as some of his classic productions and a few other contemporary tracks from other artists.

• Locked thread