Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Alteisen posted:

if anything I feel they took a step back, primarily in the music, they added an unusual sound effect to all the songs like a "bwah" or something like that and it just ruins all the tracks for me.

The sound effect that makes everything stop and do a dance? I loving hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

Nino Kuni had a big rear end story, loads of exploration, and this was ontop of traditional RPG gameplay. You can have a big rear end story and have heavily explorable areas in a platformer as well. There was also quite a few hours of voice work too.

Except... there's an entire franchise of Mario games dedicated to having big explorable areas and silly stories. They're even putting out a new Luigi-themed one rather soon.

People's suggestions for the main Mario games keep boil down to "make it something besides Mario" and that ignores that people want a Mario game when they buy a Mario game. They don't want Skyrim: Mario Edition unless it's specifically marketed as Skyrim: Mario Edition. There's certainly room for the Mario platfomers to change and grow but the solution isn't and shouldn't be "make them story-heavy exploration games."

They certainly could do with adding some interesting new ideas to the game, but what they don't need to do is go all Sega and start stapling storylines and RPG elements on in an attempt to copy whatever is popular. It took Sega forever to learn that, hey, what people want is a loving Sonic game. Nintendo doesn't need to repeat that mistake.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 20, 2013

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Graviija posted:

Wait. Did you just say "only sold 7 million copies"? Are you implying 7 million copies is not a loving huge amount of games sold?

What a world.

It's not a lot compared to other Mario games like NSMB which sold 30 million.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

WendigoJohnson posted:

Nino Kuni had a big rear end story, loads of exploration, and this was ontop of traditional RPG gameplay. You can have a big rear end story and have heavily explorable areas in a platformer as well. There was also quite a few hours of voice work too.

Traditional RPG game play--that'll move consoles in This Year of our Lord 2013.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toady posted:

It is, however, directly in line with what every previous 3D Mario has sold. Even Mario 64, which was otherwise the most successful of the 3D Marios, did maybe half that taking in the DS re-release as well. It isn't an argument in favor of "3D Mario games are selling less." It's an argument in favor of "3D Mario games have always sold less even at the height of their popularity."

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

NewtGoongrich posted:

It didn't come out on the Wii-U it came out on the PS3 and DS.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

It didn't come out on the Wii-U it came out on the PS3 and DS.

It came out on the DS because that was the system around when it was released. It was released in 2010. This has absolutely nothing to do what will sell because the DS was a well-established thing by that point and could support niche games.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

They certainly could do with adding some interesting new ideas to the game, but what they don't need to do is go all Sega and start stapling storylines and RPG elements on in an attempt to copy whatever is popular. It took Sega forever to learn that, hey, what people want is a loving Sonic game. Nintendo doesn't need to repeat that mistake.
I never said about stapling RPG elements to anything. Just the exploration aspects and having actual personality to the characters. Characters with personality can do a lot for a game, take Poker Night at The Inventory 1 and 2 for example. It's just a poker game but having fully voiced characters who talk with each other adds a whole other level of enjoyment to what is underneath just a simple game.

People complain about how the NSMB games lack personality and that's really one of the big ones. We really don't know jack poo poo about Mario or Luigi and what drives them from the in game material. Yeah there was that DIC cartoon but that was ages and ages ago. Hell Nintendo right now is asking what traits do people think define luigi. Having a Mario game with some level of a story with characters who has personality isn't a bad thing, it worked perfectly fine in Rayman Origins and every other Rayman platformer ever.

Right now Nintendo is just a few Princesses shy of Disney. And each one is pretty much interchangeable with the other since they're all pretty much the same in every game.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 20, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

I never said about stapling RPG elements to anything. Just the exploration aspects and having actual personality to the characters. Characters with personality can do a lot for a game, take Poker Night at The Inventory 1 and 2 for example. It's just a poker game but having fully voiced characters who talk with each other adds a whole other level of enjoyment to what is underneath just a simple game.

People complain about how the NSMB games lack personality and that's really one of the big ones. We really don't know jack poo poo about Mario or Luigi and what drives them from the in game material. Yeah there was that DIC cartoon but that was ages and ages ago. Hell Nintendo right now is asking what traits do people think define luigi. Having a Mario game with some level of a story with characters who has personality isn't a bad thing, it worked perfectly fine in Rayman Origins.

Right now Nintendo is just a few Princesses shy of Disney. And each one is pretty much interchangeable with the other since they're all pretty much the same in every game.

Nobody wants to know about Mario and Luigi or what drives them except maybe you and horrible fanfiction writers. They are intentionally silly cartoon plumbers who fight turtles. Rayman Origins had less cutscenes, characterization and plot than the previous Rayman games, not more, and that was part of what made it work. It just embraced beautiful graphics and simple gameplay.

They can give the characters more personality but they sure as gently caress don't need cutscenes and voice acting to do it. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon just came out and manages to give Luigi boatloads of personality without anything more than body language. So did Luigi's Mansion classic. So did, for the most part, all of the Mario RPGs. Beyond a certain point what you're asking for isn't them to do something, it's asking them to change Franchise A into Franchise B.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 20, 2013

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Toady posted:

I'm wondering if, like with the Wii being so explosively successful (by Nintendo's standards), these numbers are going to be unattainable for the NSMB series going forward. If NSMBU had anywhere near the level of appeal that NSMBWii had, I imagine that the Wii U wouldn't be struggling to meet a twice-revised sales prediction from Nintendo.

Alternatively, it also could mean that Nintendoland was not a good idea for a lone pack-in on the deluxe bundle. I know there's folks around here who feel otherwise, but Nintendoland is built for Nintendo enthusiasts and that's it. We might laugh and enjoy the mini-games that ape classics or are inspired by them, but that whole experience is designed to cater to us. We also happened to not be the market Nintendo spent the entire Wii's lifespan trying to cater to, a market that currently has no reason to buy a Wii U (or any other console for that matter).

It's been said before, but the two models they offered at launch were probably a bad call. The Deluxe by itself looks way better as a package and probably should have been released alone. If they'd packed in NSMBU, I think they'd have had an easier time pushing the thing.

NewtGoongrich posted:

If anything, he's actually been implying that a Mario game with an interesting art style and impressive looking and massive areas to explore might have done more to draw people's attention to the system, as opposed to a game that has been done three times before and honestly does very little to make the Wii U look like a genuine upgrade over its predecessor. Sure, we might be able to look at it and say "IT RUNS AT A HIGHER RES, THE GAMEPAD ALLOWS UP TO FIVE PLAYERS TO PLAY AND CAN HEAVILY INFLUENCE HOW THE GAME PLAYS, IT IS CLEARLY A DIFFERENT LOOKING AND PLAYING GAME", but the market Nintendo catered to with the Wii didn't give a poo poo about high-def visuals to begin with, and there was never any guarantee that they'd suddenly start to. All most people see is a game they've already played before.

ImpAtom posted:

Nobody wants to know about Mario and Luigi or what drives them except maybe you and horrible fanfiction writers. They are intentionally silly cartoon plumbers who fight turtles. Rayman Origins had less cutscenes, characterization and plot than the previous Rayman games, not more, and that was part of what made it work. It just embraced beautiful graphics and simple gameplay.

A little story isn't too bad though. I don't need it to get dramatic all the time or delve into Mario and Luigi's motivations, but you can't ignore that a lot of folks felt let down by the removal of almost all extra story content in Galaxy 2 after the first game gave us the Rosalina story. Hell, I like Galaxy 2 slightly more as a game because it featured better level design, but Galaxy 1 was ultimately more memorable to me because of it's teensy little narrative it presented.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

They can give the characters more personality but they sure as gently caress don't need cutscenes and voice acting to do it. Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon just came out and manages to give Luigi boatloads of personality without anything more than body language. So did Luigi's Mansion. So did, for the most part, all of the Mario RPGs.

You don't need cutscenes at all, however in this day and age voice acting is sort of expected. Not only that they have official voice actors for Mario and Luigi already, but they only speak in short bursts. They also recorded the most new lines for Luigi in the new 3DS than any other previous game before it. However in the 3DS game they talk in chatboxes and the Banjo Kazooie type gibberish. There's also examples like Trine and Trine 2 that did the banter pretty well while you were playing a game, nothing interrupted the platforming or puzzles just because the characters talked throughout the level.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 20, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

fivegears4reverse posted:

I'm wondering if, like with the Wii being so explosively successful (by Nintendo's standards), these numbers are going to be unattainable for the NSMB series going forward. If NSMBU had anywhere near the level of appeal that NSMBWii had, I imagine that the Wii U wouldn't be struggling to meet a twice-revised sales prediction from Nintendo.

NSMBU is a stronger game in every respect, so I don't think it's a matter of being less appealing as software. I think it's more that these games are no-brainers if you have the console, but not really something to buy a console for.

You can think of NSMBWii as the rare core title to have brand recognition and a touch of nostalgia among parts of the Wii Sports and Wii Fit crowd. That crowd hasn't shown up for the Wii U, so they're not carrying NSMBU's sales.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
I sincerely didn't know the Wii U wasn't just a new controller or something until I read the OP tonight.

Good god Nintendo, what's happened to you?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fivegears4reverse posted:

A little story isn't too bad though. I don't need it to get dramatic all the time or delve into Mario and Luigi's motivations, but you can't ignore that a lot of folks felt let down by the removal of almost all extra story content in Galaxy 2 after the first game gave us the Rosalina story. Hell, I like Galaxy 2 slightly more as a game because it featured better level design, but Galaxy 1 was ultimately more memorable to me because of it's teensy little narrative it presented.

Except that a lot of people complained about how story-'heavy' Galaxy 1 was as well. I've never actually heard anyone complain about Galaxy 2 lacking story until just this moment and I don't think it's a significant complaint. I do think there are several franchises Nintendo has which feel weird without voice acting. Skyward Sword desperately needed it and Fire Emblem's kinda-there-kinda-not voice acting is just bizarre, but the last thing a Mario platformer needs is voice acting, cutscenes and in-depth storylines.

I mean seriously, this talk about banter... when would it occur? In the single player game where Mario is alone? In the crazy 4-person multplayer where people are so busy loving each other over and jumping on each other's heads? Or are we going to have to put up with Mario doing the same thing as half the protagonists out there and talking over a mushroom radio so he has someone to play off of?

It works in the Mario RPGs because they're completely different kinds of games and are designed to take advantage of it, and even then the lack of voice acting is generally for the best. Do you really want to listen to Charles Martinet doing two slightly different voices talking at each other for 10 hours?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 20, 2013

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

Except that a lot of people complained about how story-'heavy' Galaxy 1 was as well. I've never actually heard anyone complain about Galaxy 2 lacking story until just this moment and I don't think it's a significant complaint.

I do think there are several franchises Nintendo has which feel weird without voice acting. Skyward Sword desperately needed it and Fire Emblem's kinda-there-kinda-not voice acting is just bizarre, but the last thing Mario needs is voice acting.

I say we agree to disagree about the story stuff in Galaxy. I do, however, agree with you entirely about Skyward Sword and Fire Emblem's voice acting, particularly in Awakening. I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to be laughing quite so much at these support conversations.

"*grunt*"
"*gasp*"
"Hooooo there!"
"*gasp*"
"MY SWORD HAND TWITCHES"
"*gasp*"

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Nintendo should leverage its retro appeal more. It's the company everyone between 20 and 30 is heavily nostalgic for, and they could still sell simple but fun games and hardware if they did it right.

The Wii U is a chimera, a scattershot console which tries to be a tablet and high tech at the same time, while offering seemingly limited improvements over the Wii, which I think is because games in general are developing more slowly nowadays, I can still use my 5 year old computer to play current PC games. The reason for buying a new console used to be that it offered prettier graphics and a new haul of games, the reason people bought an SNES is because it had Super Mario World and had 16 bits!!!! That time is now over so they need a new angle.

I think Nintendo would be better off producing a very inexpensive console with fun controls (think haptic, power glove and VR stuff) which offers Nintendo's entire back catalogue as individual paid downloads plus a bunch of new games which don't try to be too fancy. They need to change their design choices too, away from that shiny black and white 00's look and back to decent plastic and colorful buttons.

Nintendo's biggest strategic mistake was to become, as a brand, virtually indistinguishable from Sony and Microsoft.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 20, 2013

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Runaway Five posted:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/19/smash-bros-mario-mario-kart-in-upcoming-nintendo-direct

Nintendo has confirmed that Mario, Mario Kart and Smash Bros. will appear in a Nintendo Direct before E3. The news comes via Nintendo of America’s Twitter account, which wrote “#IwataSays We will discuss new Smash Bros., 3D Mario game, Mario Kart and other Wii U titles in our #NintendoDirectNA before the start of E3.”

Forgive the crosspost from the other Wii-U thread, but I feel this is worthy of it.

It is like Nintendo saw the Internet was unhappy and let this info out.

Smash Bros and a 3D Mario shown BEFORE e3? Count me in Nintendo! Maybe they know they have to move fast to help save the Wii-U.

You're putting the whole "before E3" thing into a context that I'm not sure I'd rely upon. It was already said that Nintendo was going to try to replace their E3 news conference with Nintendo Direct, so I wouldn't be surprised if their reveal of those games on a "pre-E3 Nintendo Direct" didn't amount to a June 9th Nintendo Direct, two days before E3 opens and the day before the MS and Sony conferences, in which they basically run through what they would have done with an E3 conference.

Unless Nintendo really is going to depart from the original plan and show stuff actually early, it's not serious news, it's just adjusting from "We'll show Mario Kart and Mario at our E3 conference" to "We'll show Mario Kart and Mario at the thing we do to replace our E3 conference".

thefncrow fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 20, 2013

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Jut posted:

First time I played it I thought it was pretty neat... Until I realized that it happened in every single level, and not just the first "tutorial" one.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Jut posted:

Absolutely. There's nothing more infuriating in a Mario game than missing a jump because the enemy decided to pause for a split second, making you fall short and hit the side of them. Especially when you need to keep the Mini Mario powerup until the end of the castle stage, because some idiot thought it would be a great idea to make two of the eight worlds inaccessible unless you did so. Then, you'd have to go and grab another one from a minigame or floating powerup, and you couldn't save before the stage because the ability to save whenever you want is locked until you beat the game.

New Super Mario Bros loving sucks. It took them four tries to actually get it good enough to be a proper Mario game.

WendigoJohnson posted:

People complain about how the NSMB games lack personality and that's really one of the big ones. We really don't know jack poo poo about Mario or Luigi and what drives them from the in game material. Yeah there was that DIC cartoon but that was ages and ages ago. Hell Nintendo right now is asking what traits do people think define luigi. Having a Mario game with some level of a story with characters who has personality isn't a bad thing, it worked perfectly fine in Rayman Origins and every other Rayman platformer ever.

The first Mario & Luigi game had a good character development for Luigi, which doesn't involve any dialogue from him whatsoever. When you win an arcade game and get the prize of a rare and powerful mushroom, Mario immediately eats it, and gets sick as he's not used to the food in the BeanBean Kingdom. Luigi is told that the only cure is guarded by a terrifying and powerful monster, and that he's the only one who can retrieve it. After hearing this, he begins cowering and pulls his hat over his eyes in fear, until he stumbles across Kamek dressed as a white mage, who says he can hypnotise him into thinking he's Mario.

When he sees himself as Mario in the mirror, all his worries disappear and he goes off to find the cure. When he returns with it and gives it to Mario, the hypnosis wears off, and he can hardly believe that it was him who actually managed to succeed. For the rest of the game, Luigi is no longer scared of danger, and it's one of the moments where a character actually undergoes development in the Mario series.

It's games like this and Luigi's Mansion that actually show his personality through his voice, animations and actions, rather than his dialogue. It's a little different from how he's portrayed in games where he does talk, like Super Mario Galaxy 1&2, or Paper Mario: The Thousand Year door, though. In Paper Mario TTYD, he has his own adventure that is coincidentally very similar to Mario's own, where he explores a new land to rescue a princess, while gaining companions along the way. Every time you encounter him, he'll talk about his brave heroics long enough that Mario and his partner fall asleep, and features exaggerations and missing information that is often filled in by his bitter companion afterwards. He later even writes a book of his journey, which also shows him as brash and dishonest, more like Captain Quark than the modest, meek character from the other games.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

That loving Sned posted:

The first Mario & Luigi game had a good character development for Luigi, which doesn't involve any dialogue from him whatsoever. When you win an arcade game and get the prize of a rare and powerful mushroom, Mario immediately eats it, and gets sick as he's not used to the food in the BeanBean Kingdom. Luigi is told that the only cure is guarded by a terrifying and powerful monster, and that he's the only one who can retrieve it. After hearing this, he begins cowering and pulls his hat over his eyes in fear, until he stumbles across Kamek dressed as a white mage, who says he can hypnotise him into thinking he's Mario.

When he sees himself as Mario in the mirror, all his worries disappear and he goes off to find the cure. When he returns with it and gives it to Mario, the hypnosis wears off, and he can hardly believe that it was him who actually managed to succeed. For the rest of the game, Luigi is no longer scared of danger, and it's one of the moments where a character actually undergoes development in the Mario series.

It's games like this and Luigi's Mansion that actually show his personality through his voice, animations and actions, rather than his dialogue. It's a little different from how he's portrayed in games where he does talk, like Super Mario Galaxy 1&2, or Paper Mario: The Thousand Year door, though. In Paper Mario TTYD, he has his own adventure that is coincidentally very similar to Mario's own, where he explores a new land to rescue a princess, while gaining companions along the way. Every time you encounter him, he'll talk about his brave heroics long enough that Mario and his partner fall asleep, and features exaggerations and missing information that is often filled in by his bitter companion afterwards. He later even writes a book of his journey, which also shows him as brash and dishonest, more like Captain Quark than the modest, meek character from the other games.

But you see that's the thing, nothing like that takes place in any of the Mario Platformers and just the RPGs(with galaxy 1 being the exception). New Super Mario Bros. 2 just had them flying collecting coins, Bowser takes peach and that's the sum total of stuff that happens for the entirety of the game. It wouldn't hurt the New Super Mario bros. games either since they've been re-using assets the most out of any of the others. I mean even Rayman had the characters speak in full pig-latin and got creative with explaining how everything functioned and tied together in the world.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 20, 2013

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

WendigoJohnson posted:

You also wound up with monstrocities like this:

I'd take those anyday over the Wii or Wii U. Speaking of, I think I'll fire up Megaman Zero 2 on my gamecube GBA player.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Never played it, but people were talking about it being a great game for the Dreamcast or something. Anyway Yakuza 1 and 2 HD are coming out for the Wii U. Don't know if that compounds the titular question of this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI0ZMbYySUQ

EDIT :: Guess not, it was a PS2 game. Still least it's some good news for the Wii U?

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

WendigoJohnson posted:

But you see that's the thing, nothing like that takes place in any of the Mario Platformers and just the RPGs(with galaxy 1 being the exception). New Super Mario Bros. 2 just had them flying collecting coins, Bowser takes peach and that's the sum total of stuff that happens for the entirety of the game. It wouldn't hurt the New Super Mario bros. games either since they've been re-using assets the most out of any of the others. I mean even Rayman had the characters speak in full pig-latin and got creative with explaining how everything functioned and tied together in the world.

Character development isn't the point of a Mario game. Nobody has ever picked up a Mario game and wondered "What motivates Mario to collect coins, eat mushrooms, and save a chronically kidnapped princess". No one cares. The NSMB series sells so well because it appeals to nostalgia and is a fun, casual platformer, much like the Mario games on the NES and the SNES.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DarthBlingBling posted:

Never played it, but people were talking about it being a great game for the Dreamcast or something. Anyway Yakuza 1 and 2 HD are coming out for the Wii U. Don't know if that compounds the titular question of this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI0ZMbYySUQ

EDIT :: Guess not, it was a PS2 game. Still least it's some good news for the Wii U?

Isn't this also Japan only?

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Doppelganger posted:

I sincerely didn't know the Wii U wasn't just a new controller or something until I read the OP tonight.

Good god Nintendo, what's happened to you?

Nintendo seems to have fallen victim to what most Japanese companies eventually fall victim to after experiencing massive success, which is a slow death by consensus.

Once a Japanese business experiences a mega success "much like the Wii", everyone inside it is terrified of changing things and ruining "the formula" that any suggested change must be approved by all of any given employees peers, their managers, and anyone else involved in the process the proposed change would effect. Any single response of "No" immediately halts everything.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Barudak posted:

Isn't this also Japan only?

Of course! But the Wii U is region free so... o wait :(

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

NewtGoongrich posted:

Character development isn't the point of a Mario game. Nobody has ever picked up a Mario game and wondered "What motivates Mario to collect coins, eat mushrooms, and save a chronically kidnapped princess". No one cares. The NSMB series sells so well because it appeals to nostalgia and is a fun, casual platformer, much like the Mario games on the NES and the SNES.

For what it's worth I think the recycling is much more obvious with the New series than it was with earlier Mario games, mostly because they're afraid of messing with a "formula" that wasn't really set in stone in the first place.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I don't know why they think it's a better investment to reprogram the ports for a console with very few sales, than to release a translated version to the huge PS3 audience. Unlike Yakuza 5, these two games have already been translated.

Either Nintendo made a deal with SEGA to bring one of their most popular PlayStation-only series to the Wii U, or they've completely given up on Yakuza selling in the west, even a simple port being out of the question.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407125/ubisoft-confident-that-nintendo-will-make-good-on-wii-u/

Ubisoft meanwhile seem to be pretty confident that the Wii-U will be ok in the end, nothing seems to faze these guys.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It is, however, directly in line with what every previous 3D Mario has sold. Even Mario 64, which was otherwise the most successful of the 3D Marios, did maybe half that taking in the DS re-release as well. It isn't an argument in favor of "3D Mario games are selling less." It's an argument in favor of "3D Mario games have always sold less even at the height of their popularity."

I don't know what you mean when you say Super Mario 64 did half that. It sold 11.6 million, and Super Mario Galaxy sold 10.7 million. Sales nearly halved for Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Toady fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 20, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toady posted:

I don't know what you mean when you say Super Mario 64 did half that. It sold 11.6 million, and Super Mario Galaxy sold 10.7 million. Sales nearly halved for Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Super Mario 64 did half of New Super Mario Bros, not Galaxy 2.

Nintendo's own numbers for Super Mario Galaxy in the same time period were roughly the same. Super Mario Galaxy had a longer tail because it was out longer before the Wii started to die off but in the same time frame it sold the same amount. Part of the reason for every Super Mario game's immense sales are the long tail which keeps the game selling throughout the system's life. NSMB did't sell in one huge chunk, it sold lots of copies over a long period of time. The same trend follows for almost every Mario game. This is also part of the reason they keep selling at full price despite that being ridiculous in this era of 3-months-to-bargain-bin for 90% of games.

It's also a good example of how bad Other M failed that it actually managed to get massive discounts. The fact that NSMBWU is on sale as we speak is not a good sign for Nintendo, even if it's just at one retailer. I guess you could argue that New Super Luigi Wii U getting a retail release is to blame for that but I don't feel comfortable saying it isn't a coincidence.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 20, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Super Mario 64 did half of New Super Mario Bros.

Beyond that you're citing VGChartz which literally make up their numbers.
He's citing the official sales numbers reported by nintendo.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2012/120427e.pdf
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110426e.pdf

You're right though that NSMB was the top selling Mario. "The 3D Marios generally sell less" is a pretty good business excuse for Nintendo to not make them, though. I dunno if they'd be rushing a 3D Mario out right now if NSMBU didn't drop way short of sales expectations. The original sold like 27 million, and NSMBU might not even reach the sales of Galaxy 2. One came out after the Wii sold a kabillion units, the other tried to BE the system-seller, and the sales would show (to me, anyway), that NSMB is a game series that supplements a person's game library and isn't a draw by itself like Nintendo thought it'd be. "Oh, I might buy the system for NSMB, but I'm also buying it because of (X) (Y) and (Z)" which could be said about the DS and the Wii but not the Wii U launch lineup.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 20, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

He's citing the official sales numbers reported by nintendo.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2012/120427e.pdf
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2011/110426e.pdf

You're right though that NSMB was the top selling Mario.

Yeah, my mistake there. VG Chartz had similar-but-still-wrong numbers and I found the source after I posted that.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Super Mario 64 did half of New Super Mario Bros, not Galaxy 2.

Ah, I misunderstood what you referring to. The point was that Super Mario Galaxy 2 sold nearly half that of its predecessor, which is why it's "only" 6.3 million.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407125/ubisoft-confident-that-nintendo-will-make-good-on-wii-u/

Ubisoft meanwhile seem to be pretty confident that the Wii-U will be ok in the end, nothing seems to faze these guys.

Of course they are, they have both Rayman and Assassin's Creed 4 coming out on the system. EA has no such stake in the system so they're free to give whatever opinion they want.

EDIT: Oh and Watch Dogs I guess

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 20, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Toady posted:

I don't know what world you live in where 7 million is "nearly half" that, but in any case, Galaxy 2 was a purely iterative sequel that was really cheap to develop. It makes total sense that it didn't sell as much as Galaxy 1 due to its iterative nature, 7 million is still very strong and very profitable for Nintendo, it kept people talking about the Wii for at least a little bit longer, and it in no way is indicative of any overall sales trend for the 3D Mario franchise.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Pirate Jet posted:

Of course they are, they have both Rayman and Assassin's Creed 4 coming out on the system. EA has no such stake in the system so they're free to give whatever opinion they want.

This. A game company issuing a press release stating full confidence in a system they're releasing games for has as much value as a used car salesman telling you that a car is "like new" or a real estate agent telling you the market can only go up, uP, UP.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Remember when EA said they were fully backing the WiiU and were firm friends, then farted out Madden and Mass Effect 3, threw up their hands and left?

Yeah.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

NewtGoongrich posted:

This. A game company issuing a press release stating full confidence in a system they're releasing games for has as much value as a used car salesman telling you that a car is "like new" or a real estate agent telling you the market can only go up, uP, UP.

I'm amazed anyone actually believes Ubi has "confidence" in the Wii U after all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over the delay and BETRAYAL of Rayman (likely caused by the fact that Origins was originally a multiplatform game, something that helped contribute to its success in the end, and by limiting its direct sequel to a single platform that isn't selling very well at the moment, Legends was more likely to do worse than its prequel until it experienced a similar price drop). Whole lotta selective memory goin' on around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Remember when EA said they were fully backing the WiiU and were firm friends, then farted out Madden and Mass Effect 3, threw up their hands and left?

In 4 years when Nintendo is on stage at E3 making promises that this time they're going to have third party support remember this.

• Locked thread