Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Metal Loaf posted:

Have to admit, the more I hear about him the more he comes off like, "Gotta have sex and violence, or they won't realise how mature it is!"

Supposedly he managed to convince them that it would go interesting places so they allowed it.

Spoiler: didn't go interesting places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

api call girl posted:

Reminder that he also pushed LFL for the trade-sex/impregnation-for-fleet thing with Tenel Ka.

What I did like about this is how, after that scene in Dark Nest I (where Tenel Ka says that the price of the fleet is Jacen "spending the night with me") all the conservative Christian members of TheForce.Net kept insisting that didn't mean sex, it just meant she wanted to hang out with Jacen and chat with him...And then the next book happened and somehow those claims all mysteriously disappeared.

For a similar reason, one of my non-ironically favorite things Traviss did was introduce the gay Mandalorian couple. It was only hinted on for the first few books and all those same conservative Christians posters kept insisting that everyone who thought they were gay were just liberal gay-agenda pushers and their hero Traviss would never desecrate a holy institution like that. Strange how none of them seemed to raise that point after the reveal...

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I'm rereading the Thrawn trilogy for the first since in...15 years? The writing is pretty hokey, and they shoehorn a lot of references to the films in (which I can forgive since it's the first major EU work and they probably needed some bridging language), but I think the reason why it's remembered so fondly is that it feels way more like Star Wars film than pretty much any other EU book.

Also, if you don't see Thrawn as a blue Stephen Colbert I don't know what to tell you.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Silver Brushes posted:

I'm rereading the Thrawn trilogy for the first since in...15 years? The writing is pretty hokey, and they shoehorn a lot of references to the films in (which I can forgive since it's the first major EU work and they probably needed some bridging language), but I think the reason why it's remembered so fondly is that it feels way more like Star Wars film than pretty much any other EU book.

Also, if you don't see Thrawn as a blue Stephen Colbert I don't know what to tell you.

Well poo poo, now I need to reread the series with that image in my head.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah upon my reread (technically, re-listen) I noticed the same thing about all the references to the OT. It really stands out if you've been reading later EU for awhile. I think each chapter has a like from the OT verbatim in it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It's important to remember that the OT might not have been readily available on VHS in 1991, I don't know I was 3.

Installed KOTOR II and restored content mod, maybe I'll like it this time.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Treat Williams was in Empire? :psyduck:

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Treat Williams was in Empire? :psyduck:

Echo Base Trooper (uncredited)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001852/

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

It took my forever to figure out how to assign someone as a decoy. I was mad when I figured it out I just had to click another tab

The randomization of events and successes in that game made no sense, especially with characters. I once had Wedge blockaded on Mon Calimari. I had all the defenses destroyed and was trying to assassinate him. After my third attempt, I managed to injure him. But I continually failed trying to kill him and he kept taking out my decoy Noghri with him. This was way before I read Wraith Squadron, so I couldn't even say "Yub yub" to amuse myself. Luke deciding to fly off whenever the gently caress he wants was frustrating, along with his magical ability to capture the Emperor no matter what you had going on.

And I don't think I've ever managed to successfully complete a full game in multiplayer mode. One of us would always have to leave and good luck ever tracking that guy down again on The Zone

My "main" game had me (As the republic) holding a blockade over Corescant for YEARS and eventually I had Vader and Palpatine in prison, but Han and Chewie were imprisoned on Corescant. Why was I having so much trouble breaking people out of prison? loving Admrial Ozzel was force sensitive on the planet, and catching EVERYTHING.

That game was an impressive time sync. You'd look up four hours later and realize you did practically nothing.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
On the plus side you get hilarious stories like a force sensitive Admiral Ozzel foiling your plans

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Conquistador posted:

On the plus side you get hilarious stories like a force sensitive Admiral Ozzel foiling your plans

Seriously. That makes a really hilarious mental image.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

SeanBeansShako posted:

Seriously. That makes a really hilarious mental image.

Thousands of Bothan spies died to bring us this information.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
When Vader told the Emperor that Luke was on the shuttle going to Endor, the Emperor said that he could not sense him and questioned Vader's sense.

Why couldn't the Emperor sense him, and was there some plot meaning behind it?

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
There is a Vader/Luke incest fanfic that explains that

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

api call girl posted:

Thousands of Bothan spies died to bring us this information.

I thought that was Manny Both-Hanz.

Vykk Draygo
Nov 26, 2005

Let's Do This.
Ok, so I've read the han solo books and then I wanted to go ahead and attempt to read all the important books in chronological order. I tried reading lost tribe of the sith, but I can't get into it and scrapped that idea. I was wondering if there are any worthwhile Boba Fett books out there? Also should I still read thrawn even though the new movie is going to be different supposedly?

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If you care about the new movies effect on EU you might as well stop reading entirely man. I personally like the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy by KW Jeter, but most people here do not.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well, we sort of ironically liked it after that Lets Read where it turned out to one of the more utterly insane Star Wars books.

Vykk Draygo
Nov 26, 2005

Let's Do This.

Conquistador posted:

If you care about the new movies effect on EU you might as well stop reading entirely man. I personally like the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy by KW Jeter, but most people here do not.

Is that the only "noteworthy" fett books? I guess the new movies don't matter really, I think I'll read them still.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It's not a novel, but if you can find Tales of the Bounty Hunters, check out Daniel Moran's short story "The Last One Standing," which is the best Boba Fett story bar none.

And it's a different medium and a different Fett, but the comic "Jango Fett: Open Seasons" is also excellent, and also ties in with the above short story.

I highly recommend both of those works as a guy who normally doesn't like either Fett at all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Healy posted:

Is that the only "noteworthy" fett books? I guess the new movies don't matter really, I think I'll read them still.

Dark Horse has an omnibus of Boba Fett comics, which collected popular miniseries such as Enemy Of the Empire, Death, Lies and Treachery and Twin Engines Of Destruction.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well, we sort of ironically liked it after that Lets Read where it turned out to one of the more utterly insane Star Wars books.

Involved flowcharts.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Calax posted:

Involved flowcharts.

Anyone still have those? They were amazing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

cptn_dr posted:

Anyone still have those? They were amazing.

I'd worry that this is a spoiler and link it, but it doesn't make any sense to those of us who read it, there's no way it'll make any sense to someone who hasn't.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

I'd worry that this is a spoiler and link it, but it doesn't make any sense to those of us who read it, there's no way it'll make any sense to someone who hasn't.

It's rendered even more incomprehensible because it can't possibly factor in the flashbacks (which the author always seemed to forget were flashbacks).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Then there was the dude with a frigging blaster cannon for a head.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It involves Cradossk saying one of the weirder things uttered in the EU, which now has a Wookiepedia entry.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Of course it does.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

And yet the food pirates from The Glove of Darth Vader are sadly not represented yet. What kind of an encyclopedia is that!?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

And yet the food pirates from The Glove of Darth Vader are sadly not represented yet. What kind of an encyclopedia is that!?
Say what now? :laugh:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yeah, I was gonna say...

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
edit: wrong thread oops

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I've read that book series probably 5 times and I have no loving idea what that chart is trying to tell me besides I probably read it 5 too many times.

I still really enjoy it though.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Anyone hear any more about this?

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/20/new-star-wars-animated-series-set-for-2014-debut/

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 21, 2013

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

If it is animated, It might not be too bad.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

SeanBeansShako posted:

If it is animated, It might not be too bad.

Considering the creative team is a guy from Clone Wars and the creator of Gargoyles/producer of Spectacular Spider-Man, it might actually be really good.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Having just gotten into Clone Wars recently, I am excited about this.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thatguyclint posted:

Considering the creative team is a guy from Clone Wars and the creator of Gargoyles/producer of Spectacular Spider-Man, it might actually be really good.

I give it two seasons. Three at most.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I remember Gargoyles being good, or was I just too young to notice it was crap. Then again, I'm probably not their target audience so maybe thats a moot point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
NOTHING TO SEE HERE

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 22, 2013