Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

CottonWolf posted:

There's been a new Torment update over on their tumblr, talking a bit about character progression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY6wd4BBCxE

About the only thing it sounds like they've decided on is that you will be able to use XP to change your 'class'. That said, jack/nano/glaive seem to be the class analogues, foci don't really sound like they map to anything which is easy to draw analogy too. Specialities maybe?

Reminds me of background traits from games like Arcanum and Fallout, maybe with some overlap with feats/perks, especially if you can expand/add/replace them over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

There's been a new Torment update over on their tumblr, talking a bit about character progression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY6wd4BBCxE

About the only thing it sounds like they've decided on is that you will be able to use XP to change your 'class'. That said, jack/nano/glaive seem to be the class analogues, foci don't really sound like they map to anything which is easy to draw analogy too. Specialities maybe?
I think them using "class" in the context of that video is just Adam getting his concept-metaphors mixed up. From what I can gather on the community site, you pick jack/glaive/nano and are stuck with that for the game, but can unlock new Foci as your Tides shift, and by what he said, spend XP to switch into those new Foci, not change from Jack to Glaive f.inst.

"Subclass" or "personal knack" may be a better analogue to specialties, when describing Foci. From what I've read about the Numenera system itself, they can be pretty much any subset of themed abilties. The PnP game will come with a number of them, but I could imagine it's one of the parts of the book where players and GMs are heavily encouraged to come up with their own. If "glaive" would be the shothand answer for "what is your characters approach to problemsolving", "focus" would be what type of problems you have a special talent for solving.

I'm really looking forward to the PnP system coming out in a few months, not just because I intend to run it past my tabletop group for a few sessions, but also to get a better grasp of all these concepts.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Anyone have some advice on PS:T randomly crashing when entering/leaving an area? I've got Bigg's widescreen mod, Ghostdog's UI mod and the Ultimate Fixpack installed, running on a Vista 32-bit laptop. Google gives me conflicting stories about what might be causing the crashes. I'd hate to start over, but I'm only ~3h in. I kinda want to go w/o the widescreen mod anyway; it looks nicer but it seems that I miss out on some of the environmental details.

Maybe I just answered my own question. :eng99:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

spider wisdom posted:

Anyone have some advice on PS:T randomly crashing when entering/leaving an area? I've got Bigg's widescreen mod, Ghostdog's UI mod and the Ultimate Fixpack installed, running on a Vista 32-bit laptop. Google gives me conflicting stories about what might be causing the crashes. I'd hate to start over, but I'm only ~3h in. I kinda want to go w/o the widescreen mod anyway; it looks nicer but it seems that I miss out on some of the environmental details.

I don't think you do miss out on environment details??? Regardless, you shouldn't be running at a resolution higher than 1280. I'd recommend even going near a 1024_768 resolution that's closer to the x:x of your monitor's ratio.

Have you made changes to any mods or re-installed them mid game? Crashing like how you describe is sometimes associated with changing resolution during a game. Apparently it fudges with some values. One save, one resolution, comrade! :commissar:

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Drifter posted:

One save, one resolution, comrade! :commissar:

One world
One vision

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

spider wisdom posted:

You will probably have to start over.

It's an issue with the widescreen mod and a few people's computers and god knows why it happens. Basically swapping from large maps to small maps (mebbeth's hut in particular) can cause the game to crash.

Backup your planescape exe and run this patch to the exe and see if it fixes the problem. http://www.mediafire.com/?3l53i2p8q0ox936. It looks like this patch may cause issues with character sorting when you go into new zones.

If that doesn't fix the problem you have two options (well three technically but the third may not work) and each of them will probably require you to start over. You're probably better off reinstalling the game to a new folder before trying the first two.

One: Uninstall widescreen and the UI update, start over. Your saved game is definitely not compatible with a non widescreen version of the game.

Two: Install widescreen 2.2. You will have to start the game over from scratch unmodded. Your saved game won't work. Some text in the character sheet will run over out of the box and not wordwrap if you use the larger fonts that are included in ghostdog's UI mod but dialogue text will still be fine. Crashing between zones will stop.

Three: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/37824-please-report-crashes-here/page-12 On this page someone mentioned there was a recent update to the github stuff for the widescreen mod. Follow the instructions in that forum to install the mod. Your saved game has a slim chance of working but it probably won't/may have problems. There is no guarantee crashing will stop. The character sheet should still work with the larger fonts.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 22, 2013

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Drifter posted:

I don't think you do miss out on environment details??? Regardless, you shouldn't be running at a resolution higher than 1280. I'd recommend even going near a 1024_768 resolution that's closer to the x:x of your monitor's ratio.

Have you made changes to any mods or re-installed them mid game? Crashing like how you describe is sometimes associated with changing resolution during a game. Apparently it fudges with some values. One save, one resolution, comrade! :commissar:

Oh snaaap that must be it -- I transferred a save to my fiancee's laptop a few weeks ago and ran it at a different res, then brought that save home and repatched to my native 1440x900. Balls.

Re: details... I misspoke, I guess the larger sprites are easier on my eyes. #myeyessuck

e: Didn't see your reply before I hit reply on my phone, havenwaters. Looks like I'll be restarting. Oh well. Appreciate the rundown though.

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 22, 2013

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

spider wisdom posted:

Oh snaaap that must be it -- I transferred a save to my fiancee's laptop a few weeks ago and ran it at a different res, then brought that save home and repatched to my native 1440x900. Balls.

Re: details... I misspoke, I guess the larger sprites are easier on my eyes. #myeyessuck

e: Didn't see your reply before I hit reply on my phone, havenwaters. Looks like I'll be restarting. Oh well. Appreciate the rundown though.

Well if you swapped resolutions you're hosed. You can probably just use whatever the current release of the widescreen mod is though and ignore all the stuff I typed up. It was fun having to figure that stuff out when my game started crashing when I tried to leave mebbeth's hut (in the end had to ask some guy on the gog forums to e-mail me his copy of Bigg's WS Mod v2.2 because it wasn't anywhere on the internet)

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 22, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Just to make sure, the Kickstarter donation not showing up in your Torment account is normal at this stage, correct? Or should it have shown up by now in the "Donations" section?

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

univbee posted:

Just to make sure, the Kickstarter donation not showing up in your Torment account is normal at this stage, correct? Or should it have shown up by now in the "Donations" section?

Mine hasn't shown up either, I'm guessing we'll get an update about when that's gonna happen soon.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

univbee posted:

It is. We haven't imported any Kickstarter pledge data yet. Will do it in the coming weeks.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Torment got plugged in Divinity: Original Sin's latest update (along with Project Eternity, Camelot Unchained and Battle Worlds: Kronos).

quote:

Torment, made by inXile - the spiritual successor to Planescape Torment with an all-star team. It's going to be great! Even if their campaign is over, you can still fund them on Paypal.

D:OS itself is now entering its final 48 hours on Kickstarter, with about $700,000 so far. We're discussing it in this thread.

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Torment got plugged in Divinity: Original Sin's latest update (along with Project Eternity, Camelot Unchained and Battle Worlds: Kronos).

D:OS itself is now entering its final 48 hours on Kickstarter, with about $700,000 so far. We're discussing it in this thread.

Original Sin seems like it'll share Torment's love of dialogue and story reactivity, but focusing on the cooperative dialogue feature that's built-in from the very beginning. I'm excited as all hell about that bit - imagine having the conversation with Ravel with 2 players choosing different responses, and the game recognizing and responding to that!

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile
Yeah, I'm a big Larian fan, I even thought Divinity II was good "for what it was", but I'm glad they're going back to a more old-school style. I own the Divinity anthology and backed Divinity: OS, of course. It and Dragon Commander should be a lot of fun.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Stronghold is in:

http://tormentrpg.tumblr.com/post/49200541721/torment-update-finalstretchgoal-stronghold-reactivity

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cool. I can't say I felt that the stronghold itself fits the themes as stated particularly, but the reactivity goal's nice to hit. And if Colin says he's got some good ideas for the stronghold, I trust his vision enough to be willing to see what he comes up with before I prejudge it.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Nice to hear about the stronghold!

Still working on the OP + all the info that you need to start playing PS:T (restarted a game myself)

It's just a huge mass of info to collect from various sources and to edit. Spent some hours on it already, getting there guys :f5:

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
So they're adding all the stretch goals in even though we suck and didn't reach 4.5m - I love these guys :)

edit: V This is true.

Noricae fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 30, 2013

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Noricae posted:

So they're adding all the stretch goals in even though we suck and didn't reach 4.5m - I love these guys :)

A part of it is also that we sucked some percentage less than expected so some of the money that was put aside for pulled pledges can be added to the stronghold fund.

hoverboard Humpty-Dumpty
Sep 5, 2007

Perfect Potato posted:

A part of it is also that we sucked some percentage less than expected so some of the money that was put aside for pulled pledges can be added to the stronghold fund.

Hooray! We're adequate!

I am glad they're able to go hog-wild with their creativity though; I would think a stronghold based on your spiritual lineage would be pretty amazing, and be a great way to show how you affected the world. Like a statue showing you as a hero/conqueror/etc.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I was really half expecting this they had kinda pushed the whole thing a little too hard to just drop it. I mean if they were nowhere near getting the money they might have had too but it looked like they were looking for any reason to have it.

That's great news and now I'm wondering what they will choose. Original Sin is already doing the planar stronghold, Eternity is probably doing a more classic style stronghold so either of those two will be done soon. The other type they mentioned is Corner of your Own Mind which could be weird and have it growing darker/brighter and more in theme with what you are doing could be interesting. Start out cluttered and organic looking and have it evolve into more organized metallic looking (themed towards your 'tides' or whatever). The other choice they mentioned is Airship which could be really fun. Sort of a throwback to when I played Final Fantasy games.

Of course since they're just on the planning stage they may come up with something totally different.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

I think the Corner of Your Mind stronghold may infringe a tad too much thematically on the Castoffs Labyrinth, which is also some inner mystic space. They could of course put it inside there (making your ability to "teleport" there never more than a :suicide: away), but the Labyrinth is already filled with stuff, so I somehow doubt it.

I'm more excited about the added length and shelved ideas they can bring back to life.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 30, 2013

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
BTW if anyone is interested in getting the corebook for Numenera (seeing the amount of people in the thread that were interested in the Torment handbook) its pretty cheap right now on http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/114133/Numenera-Preorder#_=_, at 20$ instead of 60$, though its only a digital copy

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
You are sure this is the corebook? I just find it strange that the page doesn't mention exactly what it is that you can preorder.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Oasx posted:

You are sure this is the corebook? I just find it strange that the page doesn't mention exactly what it is that you can preorder.

It is. Monte Cook linked it via his facebook. It's the same as the one you get as bonus, if you preorder the print version.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

GhostBoy posted:

It is. Monte Cook linked it via his facebook. It's the same as the one you get as bonus, if you preorder the print version.

Thanks! Based on what I have heard mention regarding Torment it sounds like an interesting setting, and quite cheap.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Books should be made of trees. :colbert:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

FRINGE posted:

Books should be made of trees. :colbert:

I prefer physical copies as well, but I am not interested enough to pay 60$ for a print version, but 20$ for a digital copy is a good deal I think.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Hey, question for folks, I stopped following this a little while back. Has there been any word on the addins from the kickstarter yet?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Not yet. According to the website when you login, they're still processing the donations.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
This sounds bit worrying to me:

Colin McComb posted:

During T:ToN, the player will be hunted by the ‘Angel of Entropy’. Many games settle for conveying a sense of urgency by faking an antagonist’s pursuit via scripted sequences - no matter how tardy the Nameless One is, he’s never going to be caught by the Shadows in the Mortuary or in the Buried Village - but you’ve stated on Reddit that “there will be some pressure from behind”. Should we expect time-limits, a la Fallout, or do you have other plans for giving the game’s adversaries a sense of involvement in the story?

We’re still talking about how exactly to implement this, and I don’t want to give away too much too early, but we’re designing at a system in which you’ll know that it’s time to move on. It’s not that you’ll always be looking over your shoulder, but if you spend too much time in an area without forward progression, the sense of menace increases until the menace actually arrives.

Again, I want to stress that we do want to keep the pressure on without making you feel like you’ve lost agency or that you have to save at critical junctures so you can go back and experience the game. We intend for this game to be deep and heavily replayable. We understand the tension between providing a sense of realism and urgency, and the desire not to create a frustrating, over-tense game experience. Developing this is part of our early process, and it’s an issue we’re looking at closely.

It’s possible that others you’ve managed to antagonize or cross in some other way pursue you or lay traps for you. It’s a dangerous world, and you’re most definitely not the most dangerous thing in it. We’ve had many new ideas since the Kickstarter and we may have played up our depiction of the Angel, but we will try to achieve that sense of urgency, yes. It won’t be faked urgency – we have no qualms about the outcome of the player’s choices resulting in Game Over. We’re not going to push you into game-ending states at every opportunity, but we’re not going to go out of our way to make sure they never happen, either.

Has there ever been a game where something like that has actually been fun? The implementations I've seen have ranged from passable in Fallout 1, mainly because the timer was so easy to beat, to pretty horrible like the hunger timer in MotB. Full interview here.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The time limit in Fallout completely ruined the game, but while i am not fond of the game urging you to move on, it doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as Fallout 1, so it should be fine.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

A soft time limit could work, instead of a game over limit they could just have something really hard come after you that doesn't drop any loot. Or they could go for a branching chapter like with the old Warhammer strategy games. You need to get to place X in 12 days or less and if you gently caress that up and arrive late the guy you're meant to meet is dead or gone.

Think the Witcher games where decisions and choices have longterm consequences for the story.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Zilkin posted:

Has there ever been a game where something like that has actually been fun? The implementations I've seen have ranged from passable in Fallout 1, mainly because the timer was so easy to beat, to pretty horrible like the hunger timer in MotB. Full interview here.
Giving the player some sence of urgency isn't a bad idea in and of itself.
Mass effect 1 for example felt a bit silly when the main plot was all about hurrying before the bad guys could finish their plan - even going so far as calling the main mission "a race against time", but you instead of go wasting time mountaineering with the Mako on one of the dozens of planets that have nothing to do with the main plot.
Do the bad guys just sit around and do nothing but wait for the player to finally get around to stopping them?

As for a game where something like that has been fun. I'd say Mask of the Betrayer.
A lot of people hated the spirit meter. But I always felt that it was a pretty decent mechanic that enforced the game's narrative. Even when going full craving, the game was still perfectly playable and it did give me the feeling that my character needed to find a cure.
The only two flaws I saw with it was that using suppress made the whole spirtic eater mechanic completely irrelevant and that the meter continued to tick downwards during dialogues (which did made me bit too nervous at times).

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 13:14 on May 20, 2013

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Oasx posted:

The time limit in Fallout completely ruined the game, but while i am not fond of the game urging you to move on, it doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as Fallout 1, so it should be fine.

Huh? The time limit in Fallout 1 was pretty generous and you could essentially "trade time" between the first half and second half, albeit the trade-off wasn't big exactly equal, it was probably the best timed quest in video game history.

Just a shame that you couldn't keep playing after resolving all the issues.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mordaedil posted:

it was probably the best timed quest in video game history.

Is that like how herpes is a better infection to catch than HIV?

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
No, that would be "well at least timed quests are better than escort quests" ;)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Chairchucker posted:

Is that like how herpes is a better infection to catch than HIV?

What an awful, tasteless joke.

I love time quests done well, it's just most games can't seem to do them right anymore and they serve better as the overarching plot than single-instance quests.

Maybe I'd get excited over the impending doom in Dragon Age if I had a limited amount of time to gather my allies. But then have time only be consumed when I changed areas on the overworld map. And then give me plenty of it instead of giving me a tight budget so I only get to see half the game before the end game.

I hate being lulled into a false sense of security, but fallout managed to make the time ticking down very much in-your-face, so you can't forget about it and count the days down.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
From the sound of things, it's not a hard limit [as in, "you've got X days to beat the game or you get game over"] and more of a soft limit that gradually pushes at you with greater intensity the more time you spend not progressing forward, and which would obviously reset once you actual make some progress. I don't necessarily like time limits in my games, but this sounds more interesting than what most games have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Generally speaking, I hate time limits. They ruined the first Fallout for me. But if it just means negative gameplay and/or narrative consequences instead of 'lol game over', I'm okay with it.

• Locked thread