Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Centurion
Sep 28, 2005
Anyone have recommendations for a good pair of hot weather boots? I've heard Oakley and Danners are good, but would want some input from someone who's worn them before dropping $$$.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Edit

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 22, 2015

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
So I pretty much have to keep going back to the recruiter until there is a HM opening?
Then when I go to A school work my rear end off for recon rating or something else in the same vain.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yep.

Just make sure you're in somewhat decent shape and you'll pass the screener no problem. You can find the requirements online probably. They have it posted up around the school.

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
Cool.
Thanks for the help.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Centurion posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a good pair of hot weather boots? I've heard Oakley and Danners are good, but would want some input from someone who's worn them before dropping $$$.

I wear the Oakley's and they are a good all round boot. A bit hard on my feet during break in, but otherwise pretty nice. Don't ever pay retail cause they aren't worth that kind of green, go sign up at us standard issue.com. Last I looked they had wide sizes on sale for like 80 or 90 bucks.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just make sure they're allowed we can't wear the Oakelys even with an EGA. We can't wear any non-issued boots regardless.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I've gotta fill out an SF86 and boy howdy this is a bitch. For foreign contacts, I worked in a goddamned physics department. I knew people from all sorts of countries that I was friendly with but not really friends with. Some of these people come from fun countries like Iran and China. I've listed all the people I was actually hang-out friends with and people I directly worked with. However, I am trying to determine if I should list just every foreign national that I can remember having any sort of contact with in the physics dept as a graduate. Yes, the Iranian would be one of these people I'd talk to in the hall occasionally and that was about it.

The old rule of "close and continuing" contact is just so goddamned vague here. Advice?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

JetsGuy posted:

So I've gotta fill out an SF86 and boy howdy this is a bitch. For foreign contacts, I worked in a goddamned physics department. I knew people from all sorts of countries that I was friendly with but not really friends with. Some of these people come from fun countries like Iran and China. I've listed all the people I was actually hang-out friends with and people I directly worked with. However, I am trying to determine if I should list just every foreign national that I can remember having any sort of contact with in the physics dept as a graduate. Yes, the Iranian would be one of these people I'd talk to in the hall occasionally and that was about it.

The old rule of "close and continuing" contact is just so goddamned vague here. Advice?

I already responded to your original posting but:

Vasudus posted:

You have to list anyone that had significant contact. Passing a dude in the hall making small talk doesn't require an entry. Now, if that Iranian fellow was your project lead or something, that's a bit different.

When in doubt, be sure to clarify things with your security officer / investigator.

People that you talk to in the hallway does not meet the "close and continuing" clause. I wouldn't consider that close nor continuing.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Vasudus posted:

I already responded to your original posting but:

People that you talk to in the hallway does not meet the "close and continuing" clause. I wouldn't consider that close nor continuing.

Yeah, sorry about that, I figured I had put it in the wrong thread the first time.

Thanks again.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

JetsGuy posted:

Yeah, sorry about that, I figured I had put it in the wrong thread the first time.

Thanks again.

Before you turn it in, MAKE A PHOTOCOPY FOR YOURSELF OR SCAN IT. You'll thank me when you have to resubmit it in a few months/years.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Before you turn it in, MAKE A PHOTOCOPY FOR YOURSELF OR SCAN IT. You'll thank me when you have to resubmit it in a few months/years.

Just gonna footstomp this; having a copy of my SF86 each time I've been investigated/reinvestigated for something has saved me probably no joke like at least 25-30 hours of work over the past couple of years.

\/ AF's get entered electronically or scanned in to...some system, but getting access to them after the fact is hit or miss, and really it's more miss than anything else. \/

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 22, 2013

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Dunno about the other services but mine are scanned into iPerms (Army's electronic records site).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

\/ AF's get entered electronically or scanned in to...some system, but getting access to them after the fact is hit or miss, and really it's more miss than anything else. \/

This is not always the case, unless it's changed since I got out. We were still hand-carrying this poo poo around for a variety of things. For run-of-the-mill secret application, it might always get scanned in, I dunno I didn't deal with any of that.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have a pdf version of my SF86. I update it every year or so, in the event that I actually get any of the jobs that require a new clearance. The only thing that's a pain with it is printing the loving thing.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I actually have an SF85 question. Obviously I love me some weed, and my VA docs know I love me some weed, but during what little background check process they do, can they go digging into my VA medical records? I understand for an SF86 things are different and I'd legit have to quit smoking, but do they really give a gently caress for an SF85 and someone wanting to do VA work study?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Godholio posted:

Yeah, when I was making my calls to my buddies with TS and Q tonight, all of them were like FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PHOTOCOPY IT. Apparently, they freak the gently caress out if a month changes or something.

I'm doing this through e-QIP, and they appear to have a "view' option before I hand it in. Thank God I don't have to do it by hand.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Not only that, but do you really expect to have contact info for people you haven't seen in 9 years? Like former supervisors, that sort of thing? There are cases where you might have to actually cover 10 years on one of these drat things.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Godholio posted:

Not only that, but do you really expect to have contact info for people you haven't seen in 9 years? Like former supervisors, that sort of thing? There are cases where you might have to actually cover 10 years on one of these drat things.

I do have to do 10 years, and it's a goddamned nightmare, especially the earliest three which covers college. Most of those supervisors are gone and I have no means of getting in contact with them. Like I understand they're just trying to make sure I wasn't going off to work in North Korea or something... but holy gently caress who the hell keeps records of every goddamned they sublet over the summer during college?

I'm just doing my best to give info where the investigator can ask around if need be.

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
I am getting ready to enlist in June going for HM. Is being 25 going on 26 going be a disadvantage for me?
I've pretty much been working production jobs for the last four year 8-10hr days 6 days a week.

I'm hoping to have the advantage of not being young and stupid.

*edit*
My brother was in the marines in the 90s he had a high security clearance for enlisted; all the investigator did was swing by my mothers house and ask if he was indeed her son, then he left.
Now he's a Captain in the army, this time an investigator came by the house and asked a bunch of questions about his wife and her mother.

I guess they are getting stricter with the clearance checks now.

Wokrider fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 23, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It depends what the investigation is for.

As far as being at a disadvantage...you're going to be surrounded by high schoolers.

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
Yeah I'm not worried about investigations just talking about it in general, the most clearance I'll get is if I make HM recon.
Yeah I figured as much. I tend to get along with everyone with the exception of shitheads.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Wokrider posted:

Yeah I'm not worried about investigations just talking about it in general, the most clearance I'll get is if I make HM recon.
Yeah I figured as much. I tend to get along with everyone with the exception of shitheads.

You won't get along very well in the military then :v:

e: I'll clarify. There aren't many more shitheads in the military than in a comparable-sized civilian population, it's just that they have a horrible (and common) tendency to work their way into some kind of leadership position and poo poo everything up from there. Your advantage of not being young/stupid will already put you head, shoulders, and full loving height above the rest of your cohort that enlists with you. I was 22 when I went into army basic (to get into OCS) and was already well ahead of the 18-20 crew that was coming in on the rear end-end of the surge in Iraq. Didn't matter for much then, since we had all done something equally stupid and signed our names on the dotted line :negative:

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 23, 2013

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
Hahaha that sounds like what I had in mind.
My mind is soothed knowing there are a few good officers out there, who knows maybe I'll get luck and have a good CO :pray:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Compared to other rates it always seemed like HM had the oldest dudes going into boot camp. We had a dude that was like 37 or something or whatever the absolute max with a waiver is.

It can suck being older and being surrounded by 17/18 year olds and being treated like one but whatever.

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012

Christoff posted:

Compared to other rates it always seemed like HM had the oldest dudes going into boot camp. We had a dude that was like 37 or something or whatever the absolute max with a waiver is.

It can suck being older and being surrounded by 17/18 year olds and being treated like one but whatever.

I think a lot of it comes from thinking you wouldn't be able to stand the gore that could happen.
I was going to enlist at 19 but didn't like the thought of seeing people hurt figured I would freak out; after being a Cook in Atlanta for a few years I learned I can live with it. I got a 4inch superficial laceration on my left arm the cut went strait through the fatty layers without cutting any muscle so I got lucky, I could see my veins and muscle pulsing from the adrenalin I took it like a champ, I also had to wait for two and a half hours to get it stitched in the Grady emergency room.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Being older is an advantage in that being more experienced and probably chiller is an advantage, but I kept my age a secret as long as possible to avoid being "that guy." And out of the 27 year old lance corporal club (this is a semi regular thing in the reserves), there are always one or two dudes who suddenly decide that because they are older, they shouldn't have to listen to someone younger than them. Those guys suck, and will by indirect association make you look bad. And then there is also people younger than you possibly correctly assuming one is a loser. Or, running away from your family. Or whatever.

Basically don't ever talk about how old you are unless you absolutely have to is what I'm getting at. Unless you like look old. Then you I guess have to. Being older means you are probably better off than younger people on average as far as knowing things, but socially it will hurt you and respect wise it will hurt you when, not if, the other guy your age suddenly decides to stop following orders because he is your age and then when he is spazzing out makes a lot of eye contact with you and acts like you are on his team.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Wokrider posted:

I think a lot of it comes from thinking you wouldn't be able to stand the gore that could happen.
I was going to enlist at 19 but didn't like the thought of seeing people hurt figured I would freak out; after being a Cook in Atlanta for a few years I learned I can live with it. I got a 4inch superficial laceration on my left arm the cut went strait through the fatty layers without cutting any muscle so I got lucky, I could see my veins and muscle pulsing from the adrenalin I took it like a champ, I also had to wait for two and a half hours to get it stitched in the Grady emergency room.

Holy poo poo how have we not implemented more rigorous psych screening in the military yet?

You are 12 gallons of hosed up crazy poo poo crammed into a 20 Oz bottle.

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
I was being sarcastic I was shaking and cold sweating like a motherfucker.
I kept apologizing to the paramedics for having to put me in the stretcher to go to grady; the two hour wait was serious though that poo poo sucked just kinda sat there watching tv trying not to think about it.
The loving hotel security guy tried to apply a pressure bandage but he didn't know what the gently caress he was doing, my Sou chef was sitting there watching being that he was a loving corpsman I was just staring at him wondering when he was going to step in and apply the loving bandage!

Nice username

Kren
May 11, 2005
Do I want to be a physical therapist for the military?

What branch should I join if I do?

Will they pay for the education (presuming I've been accepted to PT school)?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
USAF. Always USAF for anything medical.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
When does promotion show up on my pay stub? I got promoted on the 27th and checked on my pay and its not listed on next month's payments. My two year pay bump is, however. Will it just be filed as back pay later?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
It SHOULD. Check your ERB (or whatever your particular branch uses) to make sure they've updated you there as well.

If not, well, time to talk to payroll, or S-1, or get an E7+ to talk to them whatever process applies with your unit.

Pay stubs are normally formalized about 7 days out from pay day, and they won't take into account that you MAY get promoted on a given date, whereas you WILL pass your two year mark no matter what (unless you die). So yeah, you should get pro rated the missed days.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Bob A Feet posted:

When does promotion show up on my pay stub? I got promoted on the 27th and checked on my pay and its not listed on next month's payments. My two year pay bump is, however. Will it just be filed as back pay later?

not caring is right. Most importantly, keep your promotion orders handy and watch when you start getting paid. There are typical Finance cut-off dates for things to happen as far as if it will show up on the latest check, or the next check. Sometimes what you see on your LES will change when you get paid (for the adjustment. If there is a discrepancy bring them to your S1/whoever and they'll back pay you to your promotion date.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Bob A Feet posted:

Promotions go on the first or second of the month as far as I know.

vains fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 31, 2013

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Bob A Feet posted:

Forecast payments never reflected my promotion bumps but after the fact you should see it in the LES comments where they stop your old pay rate and start your new one on the appropriate days.

If it doesn't reflect that, start making phone calls.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
So, this is a weird question, but it's not meant to be inflammatory.

Anyway: Jody is a big deal, obviously. But what about soldiers cheating on their spouses? I get the whole 'I'm overseas, I have needs, and I'm in an impossible situation,' but if it happens as frequently as anecdotes suggest, I'm curious if it's a bro-code thing, or if there's more to it that I'm just not getting.

I mean, I sort of get the 'I'm giving you my loving paycheck, what the hell' side of things for married couples, but if the same thing is going on on the other side of things-- I guess I'd like to hear what the dynamics of that are.

Bonus anecdote: there was a girl I knew whose boyfriend was going off to Afghanistan. She started hitting on me when we were on our own, and then started hitting on my husband when I was off at work. If that's a common thing, I guess I do get it. That was easily one of the most retarded things I've had to deal with, and might make me understand why milwives have such a bad rep.

EDIT: this is a question about married, or otherwise involved, soldiers who screw around overseas and still get mad about Jody. Not about ones who actually abstained.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 4, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It does happen, never to me though. Knew a guy that was our CSM's driver, got caught loving some chick by the CSM, who knew he was married and made him sit and tell his wife over a video teleconference thing. A few weeks later word goes around from one of the other guy's wives in the FRG that she went out on a gently caress fest, and yes he was fuming over it (probably more that everyone caught wind than the actual flings).

Also knew a married woman SSG that was loving a single-ish SPC. I don't know the story behind her or what her relationship fallout was, but the situation became hilarious when the SPC started faking going to sick call complaining about nut pain and burning piss. Couple days later the SSG snagged me up to drive her to the clinic so I got more of than an earful about it after her appointment.

Military marriages should only be ones of convenience or left to the devout mormons or something.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Military marriages should only be ones of convenience or left to the devout mormons or something.

Remember a lot of these marriages are retarded dudes fresh out of boot camp proposing to the first vaguely female thing that looks at them.

It's a recipe for success!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Dudes (and ladies) cheating overseas happens, and in my experience a lot. If anything, keep in mind I haven't done any studies so please don't sperg out on me, probably as much as Jody happens. I've heard stories of commander's and such making caught dudes confess but the vast majority of the time everyone pretends to ignore it unless it becomes a problem.

Sometimes Joe putting his meat into Joette blows up into a huge deal and a bunch of other dudes who want some of Joette wind up punching people. Then life gets weird.

As for it being guy code? Yeah almost always no one will say anything to wives back home. My philosophy was it isn't my god dammed business.

• Locked thread