Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
I disagree. I thought they would be good, too, but I realised if I'm in buzz axe mode and and my nova kills something I don't get health back from that so I much prefer roid shields.

But that could just be my playstyle. Love Thumper is the best of both worlds though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Love Thumper is completely loving insane on a smashdudes Krieg and well worth trying out. You sometimes end up really vulnerable if you come out of Buzz Axe Rampage taking heavy fire, but getting a Second Wind fully recharges your shields and you can usually go into smashdudes mode again before they run out.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
I've had really good experiences with Flame of the Firehawk. With Mania and Hellborn maxed, my shield delay is pretty high so the repeating nova goes off for a good 15-20 seconds. I'm on fire, enemies are on fire, everyone's having a great time being on fire and dying.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Well I got through the rubbish Baddassaurus fight on UVVM and yet again, the vault yielded no loot, Piston dropped a Corrosive Slow Hand which somewhat made up for it, its sad really, as this loot issue makes the Torge DLC fall flat on its arse at the end.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
I stopped playing around level 40 or so on my gunzerker and I'd love to pick this back up and get through the campaign and some DLC. I bought Pirates booty and Carnage. I need to get some better guns.

more guns for the gunzerker.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Codes!

PS3: W353T-SCR3T-RRW5T-HJ53B-ZJHXR

WinPC/Mac: CB5JJ-CCH35-JSFJB-T33BT-RKCRW

X360: CJWJT-FXRJS-KWSTR-WFJTT-5T6W5

Also a couple articles:

Anthony Burch talks about molding Krieg into his final form: http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/community/articles/1037/inside-the-box--the-personality-of-a-psycho/

Inside that article, Anthony also links to a separate article talking about how the difference between the Vault Hunters and Jack isn't as big as we might think it is: http://www.popmatters.com/pm/column/165513-of-assholes-and-antiheros-morality-in-borderlands-2/

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Judge Tesla posted:

Well I got through the rubbish Baddassaurus fight on UVVM and yet again, the vault yielded no loot, Piston dropped a Corrosive Slow Hand which somewhat made up for it, its sad really, as this loot issue makes the Torge DLC fall flat on its arse at the end.

You get a guaranteed Slow Hand from Badassasaurus fight. If you want a different one just walk back into the area and clean house again. There's only a few guns in Torgue that are actually useable and even then that's subjective. Depending on what character you're playing you should probably grab a Boom Puppy.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Neo Helbeast posted:

You get a guaranteed Slow Hand from Badassasaurus fight. If you want a different one just walk back into the area and clean house again. There's only a few guns in Torgue that are actually useable and even then that's subjective. Depending on what character you're playing you should probably grab a Boom Puppy.
It's not guaranteed. It's just his rare drop. Granted it's not as rare as a loving Infinity, but it still isn't 100%

Elephant Ambush posted:

Also a couple articles:

Anthony Burch talks about molding Krieg into his final form: http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/community/articles/1037/inside-the-box--the-personality-of-a-psycho/

Inside that article, Anthony also links to a separate article talking about how the difference between the Vault Hunters and Jack isn't as big as we might think it is: http://www.popmatters.com/pm/column/165513-of-assholes-and-antiheros-morality-in-borderlands-2/
That's pretty interesting that no one else in the party can hear his inner voice. I wish it had more to say now.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Kifisonfire posted:

It's not guaranteed. It's just his rare drop. Granted it's not as rare as a loving Infinity, but it still isn't 100%

I could have sworn it was a guarantee. I've gotten one everytime I've killed the badassasaurus. Time to do some science today.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Neo Helbeast posted:

I could have sworn it was a guarantee. I've gotten one everytime I've killed the badassasaurus. Time to do some science today.
As far as I know, every unique drop from DLC bosses aren't guaranteed. Things like the Slow Hand and Yellow Jacket don't drop all the time.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Its the first time I've had it drop and I've beaten Piston quite a few times, I've not yet seen the Yellow Jacket drop off Jackenstein.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

Neo Helbeast posted:

I've killed him a number of times and got literally nothing.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Is it ok if I ask a noob question? I just picked the game up and have been playing as Zero. I'm playing through Hunting the Firehawk and I'm absolutely getting my rear end handed to me. If I get into troublesome missions should I just look into leveling up in side missions? Try a different character?

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

foodfight posted:

Is it ok if I ask a noob question? I just picked the game up and have been playing as Zero. I'm playing through Hunting the Firehawk and I'm absolutely getting my rear end handed to me. If I get into troublesome missions should I just look into leveling up in side missions? Try a different character?

This may be best answered by a Zero player (Maya's my main), but side missions are helpful, plus don't be afraid to re-spec. If going into melee isn't working, try going into the sniper setup or vice versa.

In normal mode, do most of the side missions if you can. More XP = more skill points = more awesome stuff that can be done. Depending on your preferences this may not apply to True Vault Hunter mode but you're still a good bit away.

Also, don't be afraid to ask for help from us goons. Someone usually has an equivalent level character or an absurdly high-level one to run back-up available most of the time.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

foodfight posted:

Yeah, doing sidequests will definitely help out.

Some other thoughts- have you been keeping your gear (weapons/shield) levelled? It's not too important at low level but still.
Have you been using your action skill? Zero has like no cool down on his so there's no reason not to.
Where have you been putting your points? Is the style clicking with you? If not you could try respeccing into a different tree ie. melee to sniping. If Zero's really not doing it for you then you could try another character for sure if you don't mind doing the beginning again.

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit

foodfight posted:

If its your first playthrough feel free to go crazy on the side missions. There's really no penalty for being somewhat overleveled, it just makes the game easier. The quest rewards will scale to whatever level the quest is set at so some of the reward guns you get may be low leveled compared to where you're at but that's really the only downside. Also, I've found that Zero is pretty much a glass cannon. He doesn't withstand damage very well no matter what shield you have equipped. You should focus on avoiding damage either by using deception or by sniping. I've put in more time with Zero than any other character and personally, I'd recommend focusing on sniping and using distance to shield you from damage. I've never had much success with a melee build.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Mazerunner posted:

Yeah, doing sidequests will definitely help out.

Some other thoughts- have you been keeping your gear (weapons/shield) levelled? It's not too important at low level but still.
Have you been using your action skill? Zero has like no cool down on his so there's no reason not to.
Where have you been putting your points? Is the style clicking with you? If not you could try respeccing into a different tree ie. melee to sniping. If Zero's really not doing it for you then you could try another character for sure if you don't mind doing the beginning again.
This is what I was wondering too. Zer0 has the stigma of being "the sniper class", so people just naturally assume you have to use them for him. Try out different guns, even if they look poo poo in the stats. They might handle better than the insanely powerful ones which definitely helps.

Don't be afraid to use golden keys either since new codes get posted every other week usually.S

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

DecentHairJelly posted:

I've put in more time with Zero than any other character and personally, I'd recommend focusing on sniping and using distance to shield you from damage. I've never had much success with a melee build.

Could you elaborate on the issues you've had with a melee build? I just got the game and I'm looking to start my first character as a melee based Zer0, but if it's a complete slog to play then I'd love to hear a goon report or two.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Melee build is powerful but more gear dependent. Law/Order or Rubi / various shields make it really shine.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Finally got my Mechromancer to level 61! :woop: Anybody got some good shock gear for the level cap? I already have a good shock damage relic, yellow jacket, a shock topnea, a quasar, and a shock bitch. Mostly looking for a good shield, shock mechro class mod, and maybe a thunderball fists if anybody has one at 61.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
I'm sure other goons will be able to provide it faster, but if you don't have a binary thunderball fists by this weekend hit me up. It KILLS on an electro-mechro.

Also, the twister shotgun is pretty loving cool on her too, major spread and huge damage.

Seneschal
Nov 24, 2008

Kirios posted:

Could you elaborate on the issues you've had with a melee build? I just got the game and I'm looking to start my first character as a melee based Zer0, but if it's a complete slog to play then I'd love to hear a goon report or two.

With the first playthrough my Zero did pretty well with the full melee tree and I had no complaints. I was playing co-op and without my husband's Gaige, I would have died so much. I honestly stuck with him just because he looks cool, and his voice does not annoy me at all.
Second playthrough with the melee tree got a lot more difficult to slice things, but since we did the side quests as we went, we were usually a level or so above the things I was able to kill. Towards the end of the second time around I figured out how to spec for Rising Shot and Bore and just use a SMG, Vladof Pistol or Confrence Call for everything. This has worked pretty well, and now he's 55th lvl.
I'm considering doing the Kunai tree soon, but I didn't like it much when I tried it at about level 20. Just not as satisfying as a good (Mr.)shank in the back.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I'm just now learning Krieg is unable to complete two challenges in game due to his increased mass. This annoys the ocd completionist in me like you wouldn't believe.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Yeah, he can't grenade jump or get onto the top of the pig sign.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

jackofarcades posted:

Yeah, he can't grenade jump or get onto the top of the pig sign.

Or the railway in caustic caverns.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
What's the consensus best DLC, in terms of story and loot? I have 800 points so I can afford one after buying Krieg.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

What's the consensus best DLC, in terms of story and loot? I have 800 points so I can afford one after buying Krieg.

TORGUE all the way, man.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Did you know over 97% of all creatures on Pandora aren't exploding right now? THAT'S BULLSHIT! BUY TORGUE!

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Torgue is probably the best overall so far: It's completely stupid and over-the-top, gives access to great DLC-unique drops and relatively easy access to Torgue legendaries via Torgue vendors, plus has Pyro Pete's Bar, which is a great place to get tons of XP really fast.

Scarlett is pretty good too. Hammerlock is universally agreed-upon as the "dud" of the three released so far.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

novaSphere posted:

Torgue is probably the best overall so far: It's completely stupid and over-the-top, gives access to great DLC-unique drops and relatively easy access to Torgue legendaries via Torgue vendors, plus has Pyro Pete's Bar, which is a great place to get tons of XP really fast.

Scarlett is pretty good too. Hammerlock is universally agreed-upon as the "dud" of the three released so far.

I like the hammerlock dlc. :smith: But yeah the torgue dlc is the best.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Scarlett and Hammerlock both stick you with lovely DLC-specific vehicles for very large maps where Torgue lets you just use the two-seater and the truck. Scarlett has better storytelling stuff and good quest rewards but if you just want to shoot dudes basically nonstop while a giant space dude yells at you then TORGUE is the best DLC to invest in.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Scarlett is the best value but Torgue is the most Borderlands.

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

Only my friends can call me Pigfucker.

haveblue posted:

Scarlett is the best value but Torgue is the most Borderlands.

Well said.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Today I had the best run of legendaries I've ever had. Started off with this bad boy in some random chest in the Arid Nexus

Then got lucky with a slag Badaboom from King Mong, the Warrior dropped an Impaler, decided to kill Hunter Hellquist for the gently caress of it and got a Bee, and then opened an ammo box immediately after that to spawn a loot midget with a Bonus Package.

Completely loving ridiculous. Of course most of this will be useless in TVHM, but it was crazy seeing orange after orange so much today. Also Krieg is terrifying with Jack's mask. I think it's the abs.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Usually I get one or two legendaries across the base game and TVHM with all characters. With Krieg in the base game I've already had half a dozen legendaries and Sanctuary's only just taken off. Wonder if they've been tinkering with the drop rates?

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kim jong-illin posted:

Usually I get one or two legendaries across the base game and TVHM with all characters. With Krieg in the base game I've already had half a dozen legendaries and Sanctuary's only just taken off. Wonder if they've been tinkering with the drop rates?

On PC I've gotten random oranges, but 0 in the odd chest or mob that wasn't a raid boss between my Lv 54 Gaige and 39 Kreig on PS3. :[

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
For grinding purposes:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I hope the writer for Borderlands 2 gets more work after this. I want to see a lot more from this guy.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

kim jong-illin posted:

Maybe it is just random and you are lucky.

Sanctuary has only just taken off for me and not a single legendary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
A few questions about Mania tree Psycho; is there a way to turn off auto-reloading? It's annoying having to switch between weapons to keep the empty weapon bonus damage.

And do the Empty the Rage bonuses from empty weapon and no shields stack?

• Locked thread