Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I actually bought one of these to toss onto my 50mm http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BLRK62/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It probably introduces all sorts of crazy color casts but eh, it's cheap and if I don't like it it's no big loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That I'm sure introduces some awesome color casting.

http://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Multi-Coated-Variable-Neutral-Density/dp/B004GYXRRE

Produces no color cast.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
These are basically two polarized disks, right?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

These are basically two polarized disks, right?

I dont know the science behind it, but sure.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There are multiple reviews for that filter stating "introduces a strong green color cast."

I'm good with my Big Stopper. :)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Musket posted:

I dont know the science behind it, but sure.
What I meant like when breaking apart 3D glasses, calculators or whatever, and playing with the polarizers. If the polarization lines up, everything's clear, and when you start rotating them to each other, it gets gradually darker until it's quasi black if the polarization is perpendicular.

Said green color cast SWSP mentions pretty much sounds like it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Nothing cuts the light down like an IR filter. I have to shoot at ISO 6400 in broad daylight.

tropical
Aug 14, 2003
Ahh say whut?

SybilVimes posted:

Wasn't the 17-50 the lens that everyone had problem with 'slop on the focus ring' and it turned out to be a defect that would sooner-or-later cause the front element mounting to disintegrate, and everyone got super paranoid and sent their lenses back to tamron to repair?

I know that I was worried about it (I don't have a 17-50, but do have a 70-300 and the flaw was with a whole lot of tamrons).

A google search does show up some suggestion that it was that lens... but at the same time the focus ring is not clutched, so you're directly turning the AF motor, and need to be sure it's actually slop rather than just the motor turning.

I've got the Canon 17-50mm f/2.8 SP XR Di II version (I'm pretty sure it's the previous gen, non-IS one) and there is resistance on the focusing ring when in AF mode. I can turn it but it takes a slight bit of effort (enough to know you shouldn't be doing it) and you can hear it whirring.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

HPL posted:

Nothing cuts the light down like an IR filter. I have to shoot at ISO 6400 in broad daylight.

Yeah, but you're still letting a lot of IR through, which can be an issue if your camera doesn't have a strong IR filter (or if you aren't trying to get an IR look).

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

There are multiple reviews for that filter stating "introduces a strong green color cast."

Ive yet to see it. Ive used it for b/w and color and get no color cast. Maybe the Fuji just handles white balence better. :smugdog:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

You know, even just for a set of adapters and Cokin holder, that's pretty tempting...

edit-- everything's made of plastic including the filters :pwn:

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 17, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

QPZIL posted:

You know, even just for a set of adapters and Cokin holder, that's pretty tempting...

edit-- everything's made of plastic including the filters :pwn:

The adapter rings are metal! :haw:

I did buy the set a ways back, before I had a clue what I was doing. They don't seem to be completely terrible.. my assumption is the quality control is non-existant so the ND8 is probably not actually an ND8, but for baby's first filter set I guess it's a serviceable option.

(ignoring for the moment that I should have just coughed up the cash for the Cokin stuff and never had to worry about upgrading, ever)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Out of curiosity, is there a specific reason why Samyang's rebranding their lenses for different countries? I've seen their stuff being sold as Bower, Rokinon, Vivitar and Walimex already. I'm almost sure there's one more.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Out of curiosity, is there a specific reason why Samyang's rebranding their lenses for different countries? I've seen their stuff being sold as Bower, Rokinon, Vivitar and Walimex already. I'm almost sure there's one more.

All those companies buy lenses and rebrand them as their own to sell. You see it a lot with vintage lenses as well, it's not a new thing at all. Cosina, tokina, samyang, I'm sure there's a few others did a lot of that.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Combat Pretzel posted:

Can anyone suggest a decent third party wide open 24mm prime with EF mount? The options I know of right how is Sigma and Samyang, and both seem to have kind of significant drawbacks (excessive softness and/or vignetting). I'm like a Canon 24mm/1.4, but I'm not Rockefeller.

I have the sigma 24 1.4 and it's in no way soft.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mr. Despair posted:

All those companies buy lenses and rebrand them as their own to sell. You see it a lot with vintage lenses as well, it's not a new thing at all. Cosina, tokina, samyang, I'm sure there's a few others did a lot of that.

Sears had the Tower brand, which was actually manufactured by anyone from Asahi Optical (Pentax) to Walz to Nicca (Yashica). Some of them even had Nikkor lenses. JC Penny used to do the same thing. Vivitar lenses vary wildly in manufacture, some are Tokina, some are Kiron, some are Komine, etc

The practice has died down a little bit now that department stores no longer carry their own lines of cameras and first-parties have locked down their aperture-control and autofocus protocols with patents and made war on companies who try to reverse engineer them (see: Canon messing with lens codes they know Tamron uses), so nowadays if someone spends the time to get that poo poo working they tend to sell it under their own badge, but historically it used to be really common.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 17, 2013

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

I actually bought one of these to toss onto my 50mm http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BLRK62/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It probably introduces all sorts of crazy color casts but eh, it's cheap and if I don't like it it's no big loss.

I just ordered the Tiffen 77 Variable ND the other day. A bit pricey but nothing on the drat Heliopan.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

xzzy posted:

The adapter rings are metal! :haw:

I did buy the set a ways back, before I had a clue what I was doing. They don't seem to be completely terrible.. my assumption is the quality control is non-existant so the ND8 is probably not actually an ND8, but for baby's first filter set I guess it's a serviceable option.

(ignoring for the moment that I should have just coughed up the cash for the Cokin stuff and never had to worry about upgrading, ever)

I just picked this up. Basically the same thing, for less money, minus the crappy camera bag.

I don't care if the filters are plastic. It's better than nothing, and better (for me) than dumping the money into real Cokin filters.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

ZippySLC posted:

I just picked this up. Basically the same thing, for less money, minus the crappy camera bag.

I don't care if the filters are plastic. It's better than nothing, and better (for me) than dumping the money into real Cokin filters.

For some reason I put that on a wishlist drunk one evening. It showed up a few months later after a friend hit the Buy button. Its pure poo poo. The holder and adapters are great, the filters themselves are lowrent as gently caress. Tons of imperfections. Cheap rear end plastic.

The upside, you got a Pholder now. Id buy a couple of cheaper cokin grads.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
Hrm, alright - I just put in a request to cancel the order on Amazon.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

ZippySLC posted:

Hrm, alright - I just put in a request to cancel the order on Amazon.

Id buy the knockoff P holders and buy the good cokin Grads and NDs. If you are going for that lofi look, those wont fail you and will add to your end result.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

BonoMan posted:

I just ordered the Tiffen 77 Variable ND the other day. A bit pricey but nothing on the drat Heliopan.

The thing is, I don't even need a variable ND. Something with 6 or 8 stops of ND filtration is about all I need.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I ordered one of the eBay brand variable ND filters and it made everything blue, plus with a wide angle only the middle was actually filtered, total crap.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

longview posted:

with a wide angle only the middle was actually filtered, total crap.

To be fair, that’s a problem inherent with polarisers. There’s not much you can do about it, other than using a real ND if that’s what you’re going for anyway.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

I had a Transcend 8GB CF card die on me within a year, although I had probably gotten 8000 shots through it. I am unsure if I should go buy another Transcend or a Sandisk.

The internet says "SANDISK SANDISK SANDISK SANDISK" but a Sandisk card also costs 2x as much. I am unsure if my experiences are just luck of the draw or significantly related to card reliability.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ultrabay2000 posted:

I had a Transcend 8GB CF card die on me within a year, although I had probably gotten 8000 shots through it. I am unsure if I should go buy another Transcend or a Sandisk.

The internet says "SANDISK SANDISK SANDISK SANDISK" but a Sandisk card also costs 2x as much. I am unsure if my experiences are just luck of the draw or significantly related to card reliability.

Kingston is also fine.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I don't think I have heard of branded cards failing with any kind of regularity - even when amplified through the megaphone of the internet.

So, I guess you just were unlucky.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I've been using the same 32gb transcend since 2009 with no issues. Got a couple back up 4gb Kingstons from 2007 that still work as well though I rarely need them these days. Then again if that were to happen to me, i don't know if I'd buy the same brand again.

Fake Ken Rockwell
May 13, 2013

Shot in Professional ("P" mode) and Auto ISO, as I and my pro friends always shoot
I have some Sandisk Extreme and some Transcend cards, and after using them both, I will be buying Transcend cards in the future. I don't do video at all and don't do a whole lot of burst, so I don't know if there would be a difference there or not.

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

I'll probably go buy another Transcend then, I'm not a professional photographer and I don't do video, so I don't really see the need to pay the extra $12~ for the Sandisk. I figured I just got unlucky.

I currently use a Nikon D200 so I don't even get an advantage from UDMA cards, although I'll probably go buy a D300 soon.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I just got this and I can say that there is a green color cast, but I wouldn't characterize it as strong.

I wonder, is there a way to get 8 stops of ND filtration without introducing some kind of color distortion? Somebody tell me how to achieve this, because at this point it just feels like cutting down that much visible light will jack up balance of visible light to IR hitting the sensor.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

1st AD posted:

I wonder, is there a way to get 8 stops of ND filtration without introducing some kind of color distortion? Somebody tell me how to achieve this, because at this point it just feels like cutting down that much visible light will jack up balance of visible light to IR hitting the sensor.

No filter is perfect, but you can do a lot better than an eBay special.

I use a ten‐stop B+W that’s pretty good. As you can see by the transmission curve here (click on the “technical” tab), it’s pretty neutral except for letting in a disproportionate amount of infrared. On my camera that’s not a problem because the IR‐cut filter is Herculean.

Fake Ken Rockwell
May 13, 2013

Shot in Professional ("P" mode) and Auto ISO, as I and my pro friends always shoot
My Hoya ND400 has a very slight purple cast that can be removed pretty easily in lightroom with the tint slider, but it actually looks kind of cool on early morning and late evening seascape type shots -- which is where I'm going to use the filter a whole lot.

I think with any super dark ND filter, you are going to have some sort of color cast, just some moreso than others.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Welding glass gives greencast at 14-20stop range. I only ever use those when im shooting black and white. It flat out destroys color images without making some funky whitebalance changes incamera (or shoot raw).

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

How is the focusing on the Canon 50mm f/1.4? I have a full set of primes, but I find myself avoiding 50mm because I don't want to hear the bzzt bzzt bzzt of the nifty fifty.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
I wonder if anyone ever did a study to determine if the sound a lens makes, affects its image quality.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Willing to take a hit in image quality to have a lens that doesn't sound like a NASCAR pit stop.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Bubbacub posted:

Willing to take a hit in image quality to have a lens that doesn't sound like a NASCAR pit stop.

I would be more likely to buy a lens if it sounded like an impact wrench :black101:

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
A lens that plays customizable sound effects every time you take a picture. Where is this feature???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

casa de mi padre posted:

A lens that plays customizable sound effects every time you take a picture. Where is this feature???
Like this?
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cd9_1345400930
:patriot: