Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Thanks. What I'd really like is a small program to always run in the background that says "Your screenshot has been saved as c:/pictures/screenshots/18may2013.jpg" whenever I press the button. It's lame to have to open up a program, paste, and save manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Mescal posted:

Thanks. What I'd really like is a small program to always run in the background that says "Your screenshot has been saved as c:/pictures/screenshots/18may2013.jpg" whenever I press the button. It's lame to have to open up a program, paste, and save manually.
This is supposed to do what you want: http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

If you're using windows 7 you can just type "snap" and then hit enter in the searchbar for a more precise tool that will let you skip the clipboard.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

It's "snip" for "snipping tool."

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Greenshot can do all that too, it's pretty handy.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Install Gentoo posted:

You'll want to go to one of these:
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin

Open Street Map is continuously updated, and pages like that can set you up with the latest compiled maps to use on your device.

Thanks a bunch, I thought I'd heard about something like this existing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'm looking to buy some cheap, light piping for a crude art project. Something on the order of 6" diameter.
Things I've considered: PVC, cardboard tubes, flexible aluminum ducting.
Which one might hold up best to being painted with either acrylic spray paint or house paint?
The local Home Depot has flexible aluminum ducting in 7". I like the flexibility of it, but I'm not sure if paint will adhere at all.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

kimbo305 posted:

The local Home Depot has flexible aluminum ducting in 7". I like the flexibility of it, but I'm not sure if paint will adhere at all.

Can you perhaps ask them for a very small offcut of the ducting, take it home and trial the paint on it before buying a lot of it or using up all your paint?

My question:

About a week ago I was eating breakfast when I heard a "peep peep peep" noise coming from the kitchen. I opened the cupboard under the sink and found that a mouse had wandered onto the sticky-trap I had put there and gotten stuck. After disposing of the mouse I laid a few more sticky-traps around the house (these are basically a piece of cardboard with some sticky glue on the top that the mouse walks onto and gets stuck). Since then I have seen a mouse near the tv, so I put a sticky-trap there with a bit of peanut butter on it for bait.

The other night I saw a mouse do a running leap OVER the sticky trap. :wtc: It's possible there's more than one mouse now too. I've set traditional spring loaded mousetraps around the house and also put down a few poison packages but so far none of them have been touched. This mouse is not only an arsehole but it's clever too.

What else can I try to get rid of it? I have a pet bird and am pregnant right now so getting a cat isn't an option.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

bee posted:

Can you perhaps ask them for a very small offcut of the ducting, take it home and trial the paint on it before buying a lot of it or using up all your paint?

My question:

About a week ago I was eating breakfast when I heard a "peep peep peep" noise coming from the kitchen. I opened the cupboard under the sink and found that a mouse had wandered onto the sticky-trap I had put there and gotten stuck. After disposing of the mouse I laid a few more sticky-traps around the house (these are basically a piece of cardboard with some sticky glue on the top that the mouse walks onto and gets stuck). Since then I have seen a mouse near the tv, so I put a sticky-trap there with a bit of peanut butter on it for bait.

The other night I saw a mouse do a running leap OVER the sticky trap. :wtc: It's possible there's more than one mouse now too. I've set traditional spring loaded mousetraps around the house and also put down a few poison packages but so far none of them have been touched. This mouse is not only an arsehole but it's clever too.

What else can I try to get rid of it? I have a pet bird and am pregnant right now so getting a cat isn't an option.

Something like this which uses basically creates sounds we can't hear but that mice hate.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I have a new tv (Samsung, last year model, 41 inch) and a very old stereo (Philips, from around 2000 with cheap speakers). Would it make sense in terms of sound quality to hook up my tv to the stereo, or would the sound quality of the tv itself be better?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

EricBauman posted:

I have a new tv (Samsung, last year model, 41 inch) and a very old stereo (Philips, from around 2000 with cheap speakers). Would it make sense in terms of sound quality to hook up my tv to the stereo, or would the sound quality of the tv itself be better?

What inputs does the stereo have, and what outputs does the TV have? If all you have is headphone type jacks on both, then use
but if you have this for input on the strereo and output from the tv it'll work a bit better:

Additionally depending on just how fancy the stereo is, it might have stuff like an optical audio port or something which could work even better, though the cables are a bit expensive if you don't already have one.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

bee posted:

Mouse problem

Experto Crede posted:

Something like this which uses basically creates sounds we can't hear but that mice hate.

Those ultrasound devices are most likely useless.

wiki posted:

Tests of commercial ultrasonic devices have indicated that rodents may be repelled from the immediate area of the ultrasound device for a few minutes to a few days, but they will nearly always return and resume normal activities. Other tests have shown that the degree of repellence depends on the frequency, intensity, and the pre-existing condition of the rodent infestation. The intensity of such sounds must be so great that damage to humans or domestic animals would also be likely. Commercial ultrasonic pest control devices do not produce sounds of such intensity

To catch a mouse you have to think like a mouse. They hate open spaces, and run along walls. They are also really stupid.

I only had mice once, and I just laid down a whole bunch of cheap snap traps baited with peanut butter. Caught all 5-6 of them over the next couple of days and never saw a mouse again. I think they came in from the outside to begin with, though.

You have to smoosh the peanut butter into the little bait cup so the mouse just can't pick up and run away with it. So lots of traps, along walls and in corners.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Leal posted:

Thanks, I went through with it. No pictures or anything, apparently my mom visits a drug website (didn't click the link) and owns an iphone. Going to have her scan her laptop and change her email and her facebook passwords, its just weird that the sender used her entire name, even that stupid thing she does with her maiden last and her husband's last name.

Does your mom use that stupid name thing on Facebook? Are you Facebook friends with her? If so, that's the likely source of the spam. It doesn't seem like individual accounts were hacked as much as it is a systemic issue with Facebook's security of friend lists.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57507648-83/spam-from-friends-is-actually-result-of-facebook-hole/

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Also sticky traps are incredibly cruel, stop buying them you monster.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Why do dog breeds differ so wildly in comparison with, say, different cat breeds? Is there some sort of genetic reason, or was there just no demand to try to breed so much variation into other domestic animals? Or is there that much variation and I'm just ignorant? (I would totally pet a cat with poodle fur.)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

YggiDee posted:

Why do dog breeds differ so wildly in comparison with, say, different cat breeds? Is there some sort of genetic reason, or was there just no demand to try to breed so much variation into other domestic animals? Or is there that much variation and I'm just ignorant? (I would totally pet a cat with poodle fur.)

There is definitely a lot of variation in sizes and hair lengths and colorations.

Some are really huge:

And sometimes you just have weird differences:

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
If I had to guess, it's because dogs were bred over the years for different purposes but cats are pretty much bred to lay around and purr.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Anyone know how much Maaco would charge to repaint a 3x2 area spot on a car that was scratched off by a concrete barrier? Ballpark is fine, I'm just trying to figure it out since their site doesn't list prices at all.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
http://youtu.be/V0t_QAwwF_E?t=24s

Does have a name for this scream? It seems to be showing up more and more often. Googling stock screams just brings up a ton of Wilhelm and Howie Long stuff, and it's hard to get any more info about the scream with a commonly used name.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Meat Recital posted:

http://youtu.be/V0t_QAwwF_E?t=24s

Does have a name for this scream? It seems to be showing up more and more often. Googling stock screams just brings up a ton of Wilhelm and Howie Long stuff, and it's hard to get any more info about the scream with a commonly used name.
Seems like everyone calls it the "Female Wilhelm Scream" or "Stock Female Scream."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM_-TOMwMCA

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

greazeball posted:

It's inconsiderate if he wakes her up, but there is nothing wrong with having different sleep cycles or doing your own thing while your partner sleeps. If he gets headphones it sounds like the perfect system.

Haha yeah, the headphone thing was both our idea. I have a weird work schedule in the summer (I have to get up at 4:45am). It's not the light from the TV that keeps me awake, it's the sound. I can sleep just fine if the TV is on with no sound or if it's at a really low volume.

And our house is just one big room and a bathroom so it's not like he can get away to watch TV. He's more than willing to go to bed at 9:00 with me, but I don't want to make him do that every night. He's not up staying late to be a jerk, he's a pretty nice guy :). If he was staying up until 1:00 am playing games yeah I'd be annoyed, but he still goes to bed by 10:30 or 11.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

axolotl farmer posted:

See it from an individual fish's point of view. If you head into the middle of the ball of N fish, and the shark pics off one at random, the probability that you will be eaten is 1/N. If you dash off and get chased by a shark, you are a filet.
Yeah, I got this, but 1/N approaches "filet" with every individual the sharks take. They will all get eaten unless the sharks' have enough appetite for only some of them.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Can somebody point me to reliable, cited websites regarding who started the conspiracy theories about water fluoridation? Wiki is actually not too helpful with this. I'd like it to be a resource that doesn't make people say "Well, of course they'd say that, those guys are biased!"

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Baron Bifford posted:

Yeah, I got this, but 1/N approaches "filet" with every individual the sharks take. They will all get eaten unless the sharks' have enough appetite for only some of them.
Rule of thumb is that what exists in nature is the best strategy. It's a game theory problem, the predator and the prey will both be doing the best thing they can do in response to what the other is doing, and it hits a natural equilibrium. Because 100,000 years ago the ones that didn't never survived to have any offspring.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Mescal posted:

Can somebody point me to reliable, cited websites regarding who started the conspiracy theories about water fluoridation? Wiki is actually not too helpful with this. I'd like it to be a resource that doesn't make people say "Well, of course they'd say that, those guys are biased!"

In PYF, this was brought up in either Facts that Make Your Brain Explode or Creepy/Unnerving Wikipedia Pages, I can't remember. In any case, the Wiki page on Active measures suggests it was done during the Cold War as a way to make Americans suspicious of their government but I can't think of anywhere else to look offhand.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

nunchi posted:

I'm trying to make a disguise for myself because I'm trying to keep my identity a secret during a public appearance. What's an easy way to make a mask that looks hokey enough so the cops won't arrest me for being a terrorist, but also isn't completely stupid looking? I'm pretty much going to just get a piece of denim or black canvas and I'm going to punch some holes in it with a knife. Is this a good way to make a mask?

Surgical mask + sunglasses.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

nunchi posted:

I'm trying to make a disguise for myself because I'm trying to keep my identity a secret during a public appearance. What's an easy way to make a mask that looks hokey enough so the cops won't arrest me for being a terrorist, but also isn't completely stupid looking? I'm pretty much going to just get a piece of denim or black canvas and I'm going to punch some holes in it with a knife. Is this a good way to make a mask?

Seriously dude fake moustache has to happen.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Speaking of moustaches, why am I now seeing drawings of them everywhere? in logos? Stickers on cars even? Was at a cheerleading party of my daughter's friday, they were doing facepainting, a good third of the girls didn't get the $City Name $Sports Team painted on them, or the mascot, they got big curly moustaches.

I've missed something for sure.

edit: This a question that's dumb to ask for sure, worse than that, I feel somehow I'll be dumber when I find out an answer.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 20, 2013

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
It got pretty popular to fetishize (not literally, I hope) the aesthetics of Victorian England because of the Internet. What ho, chap, and all that. Handlebar mustaches and top hats are just trendy.

Ladies co-opting masculine imagery is a good thing, in my opinion.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Mescal posted:

When I use the print screen button, where does the picture go? I assume there's no archive folder on my (windows) computer of all the times I've accidentally hit it. (Though I'd like there to be.) I believe you can ctrl-v it, but is that all? I'd like to take screenshots without using that function via picasa, which is a bit of a memory hog.
Assuming it's Windows Vista or later, you can use the Snipping Tool. It's Start->Accessories->Snipping tool.

You can right click->properties to set a shortcut for it (I use Ctrl+Alt+S), and once it's open, you can use it to take shots of open menus and things by hitting Ctrl+PrintScreen. It even has some limited editing capabilities (highlighting and drawing lines). For anyone who has to send people instructions on how to do things on a computer, it is a loving godsend.

Edit: Goddammit, this was from a page ago. I'm leaving it, anyhow, because Snipping Tool is an accomplishment nigh on par with fire, or the wheel.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 20, 2013

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Mescal posted:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=qMIDrggs8TsC&pg=PA263

et cetera

There is at least one book devoted to this topic:

http://www.amazon.com/Fluoride-Wars-Americas-Political-Melodrama

Use the "look inside" feature to find the origins of the conspiracy theories, which I think start on pg 130. The book suggests the fluoride issue began with an earlier panic about aluminum cooking utensils:

and so on.

Also seemingly related is the old myths about jews poisoning the wells during plague eras.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

There's a waterpark opening in town this weekend (:woop:), but it's only just occurred to me that I don't have anything to keep cash, cards etc. with me while in the park (at least without making a soggy mess of the lot). I guess I could just throw the lot in a ziploc bag and shove it in my pocket, but does anyone have any better ideas?

i wish bringing my phone in wasn't a terrible idea, i'm gonna go slightly nuts without it

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can buy purpose-built waterproof wallets but the ziploc bag idea really is the most cost-effective. Just make sure you get a nice thick one, especially if you're going to put keys or pens or anything else pointy in it.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

There's a waterpark opening in town this weekend (:woop:), but it's only just occurred to me that I don't have anything to keep cash, cards etc. with me while in the park (at least without making a soggy mess of the lot). I guess I could just throw the lot in a ziploc bag and shove it in my pocket, but does anyone have any better ideas?

i wish bringing my phone in wasn't a terrible idea, i'm gonna go slightly nuts without it

They almost certainly have locker rentals.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Florida Betty posted:

They almost certainly have locker rentals.

Yeah almost all places do either with a key on a bungee you wear on your ankle (if your cool) or a paper rfid bracelet.

Its expensive as poo poo though. Last year at six flags San Antonio I think they wanted $30 a day. We got lucky waiting in line and some park goer who was leaving for the day gave us his RFID.

edit: but if anyone considers this, know that the rfid-keyed lockers can be set to expire at a certain time if they weren't rented all day. You will be hosed somehow by that.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 20, 2013

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

You can get special, extra-super-seal bags (fancy ziplocks) that are made for the purpose. They're called dry bags and you can get them from amazon or from any kind of marine supply place. Maybe even a sporting goods store. You can usually buy them at a water park too, but they'll be marked up a few-hundred percent.

I have an assortment of them. One big thing you have to watch out for is that they tend to float out of one's pocket. On two occasions I had very cool people point out to me that my cash and hotel key were floating away from me in a wave pool and a "lazy river". Figure that out somehow. It's better than renting a locker though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yeah I asked because I assume lockers would be Expensive As poo poo. Glad I asked; now that I know what to look for, I see that the REI near me does indeed sell dry bags (and the water shoes I'll want too). Thanks!

... wow, they DO make dry bags for phones. I can't think of anything I'd want to try less than that. :psyduck:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 20, 2013

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah I asked because I assume lockers would be Expensive As poo poo. Glad I asked; now that I know what to look for, I see that the REI near me does indeed sell dry bags (and the water shoes I'll want too). Thanks!

... wow, they DO make dry bags for phones. I can't think of anything I'd want to try less than that. :psyduck:

They work surprisingly well, assuming you get a reputable brand.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

People who are on call use them pretty frequently diving. A smart phone that displays texts means that someone can go diving even if they are on call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

pupdive posted:

People who are on call use them pretty frequently diving. A smart phone that displays texts means that someone can go diving even if they are on call.

Oh of course, I had forgotten about that massive private detective diving enthusiast demographic.

Thanatosian posted:

You can right click->properties to set a shortcut for it (I use Ctrl+Alt+S), and once it's open, you can use it to take shots of open menus and things by hitting Ctrl+PrintScreen. It even has some limited editing capabilities (highlighting and drawing lines). For anyone who has to send people instructions on how to do things on a computer, it is a loving godsend.

Thanks, guys! I appreciate it.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 20, 2013