Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valiant Pudding
Dec 31, 2007
With raisins!
So I played some 2 player games of Quarriors yesterday for the first time and enjoyed it. However, since it was the first time I played, we played with the basic rules. I thought the options on what to buy were always very clear, it's just about buying the strongest creature you can afford. Am I right to think that the advanced rules (2 buys and must cull when scoring) bring a bit more strategy? Otherwise I can see this game becoming quite boring after a few plays.

Also, what are considered to be the best expansions for the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
Two pages back:

Echophonic posted:

We got to try out the new Quarriors expansion, Quartifacts today. I really liked it. It's basically the same crappy box that Qladiator came in, but all of my dice looked pretty good. The paint fills were nice and everything is legible, which is more than I can say for my first copy of Qladiator. They really need to do another box like Quarmageddon, slightly heavier stock just makes it feel and hold up better.

Anyway, unimpressive box aside, the new creatures and spells are all pretty interesting. There's a new Basic card, the Squire. These guys are cheap, let you buy other things, and are level 0. They're designed to tank hits during quests, pretty much. The Ancient Guide is cool, giving bonuses to summoning other creatures. The War Pegasus throws around extra Glory, the pixies get better based on questing monsters, and the minotaur is just a brick wall. The Knight of Quamelot isn't all that inspiring, but it has a funny name. The new spells are pretty different, focusing on making your opponent reroll or trade dice and other sorts of direct dickery that the game really didn't have before.

The meat of the new stuff is based around the new Quests. These are represented with cards and a pair of larger dice to represent the quartifacts. There's variants of each quest, but the core idea is the same. Quests have a level, which is how many levels worth of your creatures need to be on it to succeed. You can send creatures on one quest when you summon them, instead of readying. You don't have to send all of your creatures, but they all have to go on the same one if you send any. If your creatures have more combined levels than the quest at the start of your turn, you get the glory and a roll of one of the quartifact dice. These are like spells, but more dramatic. They have one shot perks like portals, free captures, or quiddity, but they also have spell style faces that act based on the quest card. These can be buffs, reactions, bonus glory or other spell effects.

Only one player can be on a given quest at a time. If you want to horn in on someone else's quest, you can summon creatures and challenge them. Both sets of creatures do damage simultaneously, casualties are taken, and if the quester is wiped out, the challenger can pick up the quest. The challenger gets 1 Glory for every kill, win or lose, too. So you can slam someone on the level 3 quest, kill a few dudes to bring his level count down, and dick him out of completing the quest while getting glory for yourself.

It almost always seems like it's better to quest than do the usual combat. The perks are nice, you do pretty good for glory, and you get to cull. We just played stock, but I bet the Expert Scoring rules would change that since you have to cull everything on the quest to get the points. We'll have to try it next time. I normally don't like the expert rules, since they slow the game down in my group, but it would definitely add a layer of strategy to questing.

Vasel said this was his favorite expansion and I can see why he'd enjoy it. The added creatures have neat abilities, the quest mechanic is nice, but Quarmageddon added a lot more dice and content, which sets it miles ahead, in my book. It's definitely better than Qladiator and Rise of the Demons. Lock dice are kind of hit or miss and corruption just sucks most of the time. I wish they'd quit adding stupid poo poo and just sell me more new creature cards with a gimmick. There's also like one expansion left before all this crap doesn't fit in the box. The quest dice don't even fit in the tray! I had to put them underneath, which is already kind of crowded with the rulebooks, score trackers, and dice bags. If the next expansion adds too many more cards, I'll have to split them across two boxes or something. Maybe basics and spells in one and creatures in the other.

TL;DR - Quarriors Quartifacts is a pretty good expansion if you enjoy the game. Questing is interesting and the more direct conflict is a nice change of pace. If you're expanding your core set, I'd definitely get Quarmageddon first, but I could see this as a strong second pick. Qladiator has some neat monsters, but lock dice are kind of finicky and don't add as much as questing. At least Rise of the Demons has the courtesy to be cheap.

And yes, the Advanced Rules are pretty much mandatory if you plan to keep playing.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
After being introduced to the advanced rules for Quarriors, I am yet to play (or teach) the game with any other rules. They're objectively better rules, and the idea that they are too complex for casual players doesn't hold water because they are super simple and make for an actually satisfying game (if I recall, this is the argument for why the "advanced" rules weren't the real game rules originally).

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
What's the opinion about Arctic Scavengers? After watching rahdo's videos about it, we started considering it as an addition to the next order and its cheap at $20, but I'd prefer to hear a couple more opinions about it before committing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlaiqyq8d-w

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Some Numbers posted:

How did this happen? Did you intentionally choose to not take Imperial?
I think I passed over Imperial once or twice for things more tactically pressing. The guy who won had read the bit online that said to basically always take Imperial or Initiative if you were able and got Imperial twice.

What's this Bureaucracy expansion? What else does it add?

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
A month or so after I ordered it, Flash Point Fire Rescue arrived from Games Paradise. What a slick looking game! Can't wait to play, it arrived just in time for a week off.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

On Games Paradise, today I discovered that their 'Live Inventory'... well, isn't.

Last Wednesday I ordered a couple of the out of print Lord of the Rings LCG adventure packs I couldn't find elsewhere since they were showing as being in stock. Got an email this morning saying they don't have one of them. I'm not surprised at all, they're awful and there's always a problem when ordering from them, which I've only had to do 3 times previous, thankfully. Last time they owed me money when I was overcharged and it took 2 weeks worth of following up to get it back.

Take note of their 'guarantee' here. If they don't post your in stock stuff within 5 days, it's free. Aside from them being the only choice for a particular item, there's not much reason to buy from them as opposed to places like Games Empire or OzGameShop.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Yeah I won't be ordering from them again if I can help it

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Danoss posted:

On Games Paradise, today I discovered that their 'Live Inventory'... well, isn't.

Last Wednesday I ordered a couple of the out of print Lord of the Rings LCG adventure packs I couldn't find elsewhere since they were showing as being in stock. Got an email this morning saying they don't have one of them. I'm not surprised at all, they're awful and there's always a problem when ordering from them, which I've only had to do 3 times previous, thankfully. Last time they owed me money when I was overcharged and it took 2 weeks worth of following up to get it back.

Take note of their 'guarantee' here. If they don't post your in stock stuff within 5 days, it's free. Aside from them being the only choice for a particular item, there's not much reason to buy from them as opposed to places like Games Empire or OzGameShop.

Thanks for the guarantee link, I ordered some GoT LCG stuff from them 12 working days ago and they still haven't given me so much as a tracking number despite multiple requests. Never going to order from them again.

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Ron Hitler-Barassi posted:

Thanks for the guarantee link, I ordered some GoT LCG stuff from them 12 working days ago and they still haven't given me so much as a tracking number despite multiple requests. Never going to order from them again.

Let us know how you go, I'm interested in how they respond to this. My last order was before they instated the guarantee and was during a sale period so it wouldn't have applied anyway.

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Games Empire the same Wednesday last week. They processed my order when they opened on Thursday and it was on my doorstep Friday morning. Night and day difference.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
If I were going to buy one version of Dixit, and don't have a particular opinion on the art differences, which one should I buy? In other words, which version is best in terms of component quality, scoring tracks, storage, etc?

FTJ
Mar 1, 2003

BTB's Monty Python pro-star!
Dixit Odyssey.
It supports 12 players as well as team play.

FTJ fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 20, 2013

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.

bobvonunheil posted:

After being introduced to the advanced rules for Quarriors, I am yet to play (or teach) the game with any other rules. They're objectively better rules, and the idea that they are too complex for casual players doesn't hold water because they are super simple and make for an actually satisfying game (if I recall, this is the argument for why the "advanced" rules weren't the real game rules originally).

Yep agree with this and Inshanee's statement.

Echophonic posted:

We got to try out the new Quarriors expansion, Quartifacts today. I really liked it. It's basically the same crappy box that Qladiator came in, but all of my dice looked pretty good. The paint fills were nice and everything is legible, which is more than I can say for my first copy of Qladiator. They really need to do another box like Quarmageddon, slightly heavier stock just makes it feel and hold up better.

Anyway, unimpressive box aside, the new creatures and spells are all pretty interesting. There's a new Basic card, the Squire. These guys are cheap, let you buy other things, and are level 0. They're designed to tank hits during quests, pretty much. The Ancient Guide is cool, giving bonuses to summoning other creatures. The War Pegasus throws around extra Glory, the pixies get better based on questing monsters, and the minotaur is just a brick wall. The Knight of Quamelot isn't all that inspiring, but it has a funny name. The new spells are pretty different, focusing on making your opponent reroll or trade dice and other sorts of direct dickery that the game really didn't have before.

The meat of the new stuff is based around the new Quests. These are represented with cards and a pair of larger dice to represent the quartifacts. There's variants of each quest, but the core idea is the same. Quests have a level, which is how many levels worth of your creatures need to be on it to succeed. You can send creatures on one quest when you summon them, instead of readying. You don't have to send all of your creatures, but they all have to go on the same one if you send any. If your creatures have more combined levels than the quest at the start of your turn, you get the glory and a roll of one of the quartifact dice. These are like spells, but more dramatic. They have one shot perks like portals, free captures, or quiddity, but they also have spell style faces that act based on the quest card. These can be buffs, reactions, bonus glory or other spell effects.

Only one player can be on a given quest at a time. If you want to horn in on someone else's quest, you can summon creatures and challenge them. Both sets of creatures do damage simultaneously, casualties are taken, and if the quester is wiped out, the challenger can pick up the quest. The challenger gets 1 Glory for every kill, win or lose, too. So you can slam someone on the level 3 quest, kill a few dudes to bring his level count down, and dick him out of completing the quest while getting glory for yourself.

It almost always seems like it's better to quest than do the usual combat. The perks are nice, you do pretty good for glory, and you get to cull. We just played stock, but I bet the Expert Scoring rules would change that since you have to cull everything on the quest to get the points. We'll have to try it next time. I normally don't like the expert rules, since they slow the game down in my group, but it would definitely add a layer of strategy to questing.

Vasel said this was his favorite expansion and I can see why he'd enjoy it. The added creatures have neat abilities, the quest mechanic is nice, but Quarmageddon added a lot more dice and content, which sets it miles ahead, in my book. It's definitely better than Qladiator and Rise of the Demons. Lock dice are kind of hit or miss and corruption just sucks most of the time. I wish they'd quit adding stupid poo poo and just sell me more new creature cards with a gimmick. There's also like one expansion left before all this crap doesn't fit in the box. The quest dice don't even fit in the tray! I had to put them underneath, which is already kind of crowded with the rulebooks, score trackers, and dice bags. If the next expansion adds too many more cards, I'll have to split them across two boxes or something. Maybe basics and spells in one and creatures in the other.

TL;DR - Quarriors Quartifacts is a pretty good expansion if you enjoy the game. Questing is interesting and the more direct conflict is a nice change of pace. If you're expanding your core set, I'd definitely get Quarmageddon first, but I could see this as a strong second pick. Qladiator has some neat monsters, but lock dice are kind of finicky and don't add as much as questing. At least Rise of the Demons has the courtesy to be cheap.

Starting and finishing quests you only need to match or more the quest's level with combined creature levels. No assistants.

I'm making a play mat.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dungeon Lords: Festival Season for $20 is the daily deal at CSI. I know most people here are Vlaadaites, so this is a pretty natural buy. I think I would like Dungeon Lords a lot more if it were easier to teach compared to something like, say, Caylus. But drat these Vlaada designs and their compelling mechanics.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Festival Season does make a really good into an even better game!

And yeah, I tend to agree that one of the major criticisms of Vlaada is that his games are all front-loaded with rules that it's really drat hard to get someone that doesn't have too much experience with board games to actually start playing them.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Tekopo posted:

Festival Season does make a really good into an even better game!

And yeah, I tend to agree that one of the major criticisms of Vlaada is that his games are all front-loaded with rules that it's really drat hard to get someone that doesn't have too much experience with board games to actually start playing them.

This is why I prefer Galaxy Trucker and/or Dungeon Petz to Lords - I don't have a lot of regular game nerds, so Lords is just really hard to grasp for the occasional/non-serious gamer. Even if Lords is the better game I can get the aforementioned titles to the table easier and more often.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

echoMateria posted:

What's the opinion about Arctic Scavengers? After watching rahdo's videos about it, we started considering it as an addition to the next order and its cheap at $20, but I'd prefer to hear a couple more opinions about it before committing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlaiqyq8d-w
I have no idea how it actually plays, but damned if it doesn't seem like an interesting deckbuilding game and damned that I'm now thinking of picking it up too.

Valiant Pudding
Dec 31, 2007
With raisins!
Thanks for the Quarriors advice all!

Echophonic posted:

Why do you recommend Quarmaggedon before Quartifacts? Quartifacts comes with 5 new monsters, 2 new spells and quests (for a total of 46 dice) and Quarmaggedon with 6 new monsters and 2 new spells (40 dice). I'd think Quartifacts adds almost as much content as Quarmaggedon plus the questing mechanic? Are Quarmaggedons monsters/spells that more interesting than Quartifacts'?

Man, that's a lot of Q's.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Finally got to play a game of Dominant Species last night, why the gently caress did the designer think it was a good idea to name two different mechanics with the same name?

Trying to teach people that no, being on the top of the food chain only counts for domination not for dominant species. Same for cubes. Same for food.

We actually had to guess once the ice age came out, since you score bonus points for each tile you are dominant in. Does it mean dominant species dominant or domination dominant?

Really lovely design there and frustrating for me having to explain the difference constantly.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 20, 2013

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

FelchTragedy posted:

Yep agree with this and Inshanee's statement.

Starting and finishing quests you only need to match or more the quest's level with combined creature levels. No assistants.

I'm making a play mat.

It occurs to me that we missed that 'no assistants' rule. I read the book twice and remember it, but I spaced on it in actual play. I'm not convinced it mattered too much, it only happened once or twice. Seems like it's mostly to stop someone snagging a good artifact with a lucky early roll of 3 Assistants.

Advanced capturing is my favorite of the new rules. It makes the 3 and 4 cost creatures VERY viable and makes Imps and Goblins really useful. It also makes spells easier to pick up, which I like because they're one of my favorite parts of the game.

I still think the expert scoring isn't very enjoyable. I like being able to cut my dice pool down in general and being forced to keep it at 12 minimum is frustrating for me. I feel like smart culling of your basics in favor of monsters and spells has a strategy to it that I prefer. Now, I certainly wouldn't mind more monsters like the Overlord that force it out of game or to the wilds as part of a score-time effect. An entire expansion that added creatures like that would be pretty interesting, I think. Give me a reason to lose them instead of forcing me to buy the same creatures over and over as I score them.

Valiant Pudding posted:

Thanks for the Quarriors advice all!

Why do you recommend Quarmaggedon before Quartifacts? Quartifacts comes with 5 new monsters, 2 new spells and quests (for a total of 46 dice) and Quarmaggedon with 6 new monsters and 2 new spells (40 dice). I'd think Quartifacts adds almost as much content as Quarmaggedon plus the questing mechanic? Are Quarmaggedons monsters/spells that more interesting than Quartifacts'?

Man, that's a lot of Q's.

Monsters are core to the way the game works. More are always better. From my experience, spells don't see a ton of use. I will say the new spells from Quartifacts are pretty good, though! They're very direct and focus more on player interaction, which helps the game a lot. The quests are also probably better for people who have a good understanding of the base game. I'm also a little biased because you kind of needed Quarmageddon's box to hold everything before. This isn't the case anymore now that the core has that big ol' tray box. Both are very strong picks and I wouldn't say someone was wrong for picking Quartifacts first. I'd need some more time with the new stuff in order to really adjust my opinion towards it being the top pick. It's really close, but I'd probably say it's hard to play with the Quartifacts monsters without questing, since there's a few that are more tightly integrated with it, like the pixies.

Basically, if the questing sounds fun, do Quartifacts first. If you just want more content (which is my usual preference for first expansions), Quarmageddon is probably better.

Edit: Seperating my question into a new post.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 20, 2013

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Siroc posted:

I'm also interested in getting one of the three D&D games (Ravenloft, Drizzt, Ashardalon). Is there a "better" one?

Since nobody else addressed this: they were made Ravenloft--Ashardalon--Drizzt. If there were any improvements made in scenario design, they'd be in later games, but I think all three are essentially identical (by which I mean, there are different scenarios in each, but I've not seen that any are "better"). The heroes are level 1-2 in each game, and the monsters are appropriate-ish for the theme of each game. Theme is the biggest thing you have to go on, to a lesser extent how you feel about the large-mini "boss" monsters in each. If you'd love to have a big dragon mini (for example) but would like to have some undead to fight, buy Ashardalon and the undead faction of Dungeon Command.

Edit: Because the Dungeon Command factions come with cards to use the monsters in the board games.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Drizzt gets bonus points because it has multiple dwarf fighters. One of them has a giant boar. Also you get to fight a balor!

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic

Demon_Corsair posted:

Finally got to play a game of Dominant Species last night, why the gently caress did the designer think it was a good idea to name two different mechanics with the same name?

Trying to teach people that no, being on the top of the food chain only counts for domination not for dominant species. Same for cubes. Same for food.

We actually had to guess once the ice age came out, since you score bonus points for each tile you are dominant in. Does it mean dominant species dominant or domination dominant?

Really lovely design there and frustrating for me having to explain the difference constantly.

The cards can arguably be a bit ambiguous your first time through the game, but the rulebook spells it out beyond clear. DS is a beast of a game to try and learn straight from the rulebook, definitely one I'd say is better to learn from an experienced player. Hopefully this didn't sour the experience with your group and you get a chance to play again.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Demon_Corsair posted:

It means domination, AKA the tiles that youčre best adapted to.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Admin Understudy posted:

The cards can arguably be a bit ambiguous your first time through the game, but the rulebook spells it out beyond clear. DS is a beast of a game to try and learn straight from the rulebook, definitely one I'd say is better to learn from an experienced player. Hopefully this didn't sour the experience with your group and you get a chance to play again.

The rulebook isn't bad but you have to admit it was a bad idea to use Domination and Dominance as unrelated different game terms.

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a

FTJ posted:

Dixit Odyssey.
It supports 12 players as well as team play.

It's worth noting that this edition is out of print and pretty hard to find, and the upcoming reprint is cards only so you'd need another "base" set.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
The one that we debated about in my first game was the difference between animal and species. Intuitively it seems to me that "mammals" is a species and a cube is an animal, but it's the other way around.

Anyways, I'm getting in a game of DS today. Yay!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think it'd be better if I moved this question out of that bigass Quarriors post.

If I like Dungeon Petz, Glen More, and Among the Stars, will Keyflower be as awesome as I think it will be? I see worker bidding and tile placing and resource generation for upgrading and oh my god. :awesome:

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Echophonic posted:

I think it'd be better if I moved this question out of that bigass Quarriors post.

If I like Dungeon Petz, Glen More, and Among the Stars, will Keyflower be as awesome as I think it will be? I see worker bidding and tile placing and resource generation for upgrading and oh my god. :awesome:

It reminds me of none of those games (in play), but the game is definitely great.

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.

Clanpot Shake posted:

I randomly selected the pirate race so my first action was to choose Trade. Everyone set up sweet trade deals, but then at the end when I took 2 trade resources from 2 other players via my race's special ability it totally soured that card for everyone and there was only 1-2 more activations of Trade in the game and nobody ever had enough resources that I could take them again. That sucked.

Just to clarify, did you take two TG from two players, or two total from two players. Also, did you take them immediately after everyone collected their trade goods? If so, then a mistake was made.

The reason I say that is because the Mentak racial says you may take up to two trade goods from up to two different players that possess 3+ trade goods, during the strategy phase. Strategy phase is when everyone is choosing their strat cards.

If folks had left over trade goods at this point, either they had too many to spend (looking at you Hacan), or forgot the Mentak could take them.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Hey guys, I just moved into a swanky new condo and I am hoping to get a classy (and maybe collapsible) game table for my den/office/2nd bedroom. Does anyone have a recommendation that isn't horribly expensive?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

attackmole posted:

It means domination, AKA the tiles that youčre best adapted to.

That's backwards though. Domination is number of cubes. Dominant species is about being best adapted.

I'm sure its great once you have gotten the hang of the game, but it makes me want to punch the designer in the face, and take a permanent marker to the board and change domination to control or something.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 20, 2013

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Anyone remember seeing a game where you controlled different countries trying to kill each other's population off using bio weapons and nukes? I can't remember if it's finished or not. It was something to do with culling the planet's population, and something about Russia being able to instantly force the game to lose for everyone.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Zombie #246 posted:

Anyone remember seeing a game where you controlled different countries trying to kill each other's population off using bio weapons and nukes? I can't remember if it's finished or not. It was something to do with culling the planet's population, and something about Russia being able to instantly force the game to lose for everyone.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1893407396/tomorrow-an-apocalyptic-nightmare is it, right? They were expecting rewards (including games) to be available in July, and I haven't seen any reviews of it, so I'd assume it's not out yet.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Crackbone posted:

This is why I prefer Galaxy Trucker and/or Dungeon Petz to Lords - I don't have a lot of regular game nerds, so Lords is just really hard to grasp for the occasional/non-serious gamer. Even if Lords is the better game I can get the aforementioned titles to the table easier and more often.

Which is really surprising to me because I couldn't get a table of vets to understand what the hell was going on in Dungeon Petz.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Nitis posted:

Just to clarify, did you take two TG from two players, or two total from two players. Also, did you take them immediately after everyone collected their trade goods? If so, then a mistake was made.

The reason I say that is because the Mentak racial says you may take up to two trade goods from up to two different players that possess 3+ trade goods, during the strategy phase. Strategy phase is when everyone is choosing their strat cards.

If folks had left over trade goods at this point, either they had too many to spend (looking at you Hacan), or forgot the Mentak could take them.

No mistake here. I collected one each from two separate players at the start of the next Strategy phase. After that, everybody either spent all of them (or enough that I couldn't steal) or just straight up ignored Trade altogether. The fact that I took two tokens at the start soured everybody to the card - even the guy who stood to get 4 tokens from using the secondary or 7 from using the primary. Oh, and one of the objective cards that came up was 'spend 6 trade goods for 1VP'. One person took that.

e; I did have a question though - for the political cards when you elect/vote on things, what order do you go in? We did clockwise starting from the current Speaker. Is that correct?

Clanpot Shake fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 20, 2013

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Kiranamos posted:

It reminds me of none of those games (in play), but the game is definitely great.

I just watched rahdo's gameplay runthrough and you're right, the similarities are kind of superficial. It does have a lot more similarities to Glen More than the other two though, in how resources are dealt with. I just ordered it, so hopefully it'll work out.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

al-azad posted:

Which is really surprising to me because I couldn't get a table of vets to understand what the hell was going on in Dungeon Petz.

Really? I've found it's much harder for occasional gamers to grasp all the concepts for DL. Petz is still very... Vlaada-y, but the Lords just has so much more to juggle.

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.

Clanpot Shake posted:

e; I did have a question though - for the political cards when you elect/vote on things, what order do you go in? We did clockwise starting from the current Speaker. Is that correct?

From page 23 of the base TI rulebook:

"2) Players then vote upon the agenda. Voting is done
clockwise one player at a time, starting with the player
to the left of the Speaker (thus the Speaker will
always cast the last vote)."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Crackbone posted:

Really? I've found it's much harder for occasional gamers to grasp all the concepts for DL. Petz is still very... Vlaada-y, but the Lords just has so much more to juggle.

DL did a good thing by introducing combat before the rules. Petz doesn't bother explaining pets until the end and I think my order of explanation is what caused the major hiccup.

But even after an initial (miserable) game, the pet management subsystem still felt alien to them.

• Locked thread