Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anyone have a recommendation for a good food mill that won't break down from regular use in a year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

zerox147o posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a good food mill that won't break down from regular use in a year?
I have the MIU France 2 quart food mill and have used it regularly for around seven years. I use it mostly for things like ricing potatoes, making apple sauce, and that kind of thing. It's not spectacular or anything, but it's held up fine---it's getting a little scuffed but that's it. It feels a little light-weight---the discs are sturdy enough but the body of the mill is pretty thin. The angle of the mill blade-screw-thing (the part that rotates when you turn the crank) could be a little steeper---if you're milling bigger hunks of stuff that isn't very soft they'll tend to get caught on the edge instead of getting caught under it (which means you end up pushing the chunk of whatever around instead of milling it, until you use a fork or something to feed it). Not really a big deal, but something I notice if I'm milling stuff that I chopped really coarse.

Anyway, I think I paid around US$25 for it, and I feel like it's good value at that price.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
For those looking at the thermapen, keep in mind that if you don't mind the extra bulk, the handheld probe is actually cheaper!

And you can buy different probes for it!

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/mtc.html

The "super fast probe" kit is essentially the same performance as the Thermapen for :20bux: less

toby
Dec 4, 2002

I don't see any flames on that handheld thing.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

toby posted:

I don't see any flames on that handheld thing.

Flames are an extra :20bux:.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

deimos posted:

For those looking at the thermapen, keep in mind that if you don't mind the extra bulk, the handheld probe is actually cheaper!

And you can buy different probes for it!

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/handheld/mtc.html

The "super fast probe" kit is essentially the same performance as the Thermapen for :20bux: less

This doesn't clip onto my coat. Where the hell am I supposed to put it?!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Put a piece of metal on your pocket and magnet that motherfucker :science:

(Don't do this)

Honestly I just noticed it was cheaper, and the probes you can buy for it are neat. I may go for one of their more expensive ones with alarms just because the variety of probes is nice. It's probably not a terrible option for home cooking but the bulk would make it more annoying to use in a pro kitchen.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

thermapins clip on to coats? I always just kept mine in my coat pocket and it'd slip out from time to time. had a nice bath in a pot of chicken stock once :/ thank god for splashproof.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

mindphlux posted:

thermapins clip on to coats? I always just kept mine in my coat pocket and it'd slip out from time to time. had a nice bath in a pot of chicken stock once :/ thank god for splashproof.

I use my tactical apron. Modular pockets, spice bandolier

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well, as a chef,

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

mindphlux posted:

Well, I mean it won't fit in my sleeve pockets.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Works great in my cooking cargo pants next to my Alton Brown 24/7 nutmeg

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Noticed a couple nice kitchen things on clearance at Target. In the kitchen area on an endcap usually there's some pizza related stuff that's being clearanced. There's a metal pizza peel that looks a little small, but I found a nice ceramic oil bottle and glass spice shaker for cheap:

Oil bottle is about $12 marked down to a little over $3. The spice shaker is marked down to $0.88. If there are a lot of oil bottles, check the seals on the top to find one that fits snugly--a few I found were kind of loose.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Cost Plus World Market sells spice jars for a dollar that are pretty great. They have lots of varieties, some with lids with holes and others that with airtight lids.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mod sassinator posted:

If there are a lot of oil bottles, check the seals on the top to find one that fits snugly--a few I found were kind of loose.

I never fill them up all the way, or you'll add some oil to something and then 'boop-sploosh' there goes a ton of oil into your pan.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
My purple thermapen has arrived. Should I always follow the temperatures on the back of the instructions when I want that particular doneness? This is going to be the first time I've ever actually cooked going from temperature rather than just time

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Scott Bakula posted:

My purple thermapen has arrived. Should I always follow the temperatures on the back of the instructions when I want that particular doneness? This is going to be the first time I've ever actually cooked going from temperature rather than just time

Probably not. those temps tend to lead to overcooking. I mean, you could start with those as a guide and then adjust to our personal preference.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is there a good guide anywhere I can use for temps for cooking? I might finally start giving deep frying a go now I can measure the temperature of the oil

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Unfortunately most guides online are cribbed right from USDA guidelines which lead to overcooked meat. I cook mostly chicken and I do white meat to 150-155 and dark meat to 165. Any time I cook something aside from that, I usually just ask in the "general questions" thread specifically for that protein since I'm lazy.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

this is a commonly asked question, does someone want to write up a table of USDA vs suggested temperatures and pasteurization times and put it on the wiki?

Edit: I mean, I could I guess, but someone like SubG might be better.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Scott Bakula posted:

Is there a good guide anywhere I can use for temps for cooking? I might finally start giving deep frying a go now I can measure the temperature of the oil

For steak and beef, if you pull it off around 135 and let it rest it will rise to a nice pinkish medium rare.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

this is a commonly asked question, does someone want to write up a table of USDA vs suggested temperatures and pasteurization times and put it on the wiki?

Edit: I mean, I could I guess, but someone like SubG might be better.

Can it be a c/p of Modernist Cuisine V1 P192-194?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

For steak and beef, if you pull it off around 135 and let it rest it will rise to a nice pinkish medium rare.

The gently caress, if you pull at 135, carryover will get you to 142, which is hardly mid-rare.

USDA temps/guidelines suck, use these, they account for average carryover:

Black and blue: Sear it, don't go over 100F
rare: pull at 108
mid-rare: pull at 118
medium: pull at 131
mid-well: pull at 143
well: gently caress you, you killed it.

Just as an anecdotal statement, I've been eating chicken breast at 140F for years, and have never had food poisoning. Pull it, rest it for ~4 mins, and you're fine.

quote:

Can it be a c/p of Modernist Cuisine V1 P192-194?

sure, literally.

http://i.imgur.com/5LUTkXC.jpg

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good Dehydrator and a good Cream Whipper canister?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Everyone I know that dries a serious amount of chillies uses the excalibur dehydrator.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Aramoro posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good Dehydrator and a good Cream Whipper canister?

If where you are is anything like my neck of the woods, there are perfectly serviceable dehydrators available at every local Goodwill / thrift shop for less than :10bux:

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Aramoro posted:

Cream whipper: I have this sucker in the 1 quart size http://www.amazon.com/iSi-Cream-Professional-Whipper-2416/dp/B0001MRZWI it owns but honestly is kind of large for most uses. The only time I really was glad I had the big size was when serving a bunch of people at a party (Fernet sorbet with a whipped Grand Marnier topping, so good)

toby fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 21, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Always go for the isi pro whipper. You can use it for so much more. Rapid infusion, potatoes, foams, etc.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

I've used it for infusion but what is this about potatoes

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ain't you ever heard of whipped potatoes?

Ok I have no idea

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
What is the general consensus on bamboo cutting boards? My old wood cutting board needs to go, Ross always has them for fairly cheap, and I like them because they're fairly thin. I'd love a giant end-grain wood block but those are a bit out of the price range and would take over our counter.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think they're a great option. Just oil it occasionally and you'll be good. And never ever put it in the dishwasher.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Iron Lung posted:

What is the general consensus on bamboo cutting boards? My old wood cutting board needs to go, Ross always has them for fairly cheap, and I like them because they're fairly thin. I'd love a giant end-grain wood block but those are a bit out of the price range and would take over our counter.

I like them as a sustainable wood option. For me though, the thin is kind of a downer as the board kinda flops around as you use it. You can fix this sort of by dampening a paper towel and laying it flat underneath the board. It's no super heavy end grain wood board with rubber feet, but it's fairly sturdy.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Awesome. Is plain store-bought mineral oil + a paper towel all I need? Chances are thats what killed my last wooden board - just washed it with soap and water and let it air dry. Never put it in the dishwasher though, just the plastic ones go in there.

Second question: whats the best way to clean out an enameled dutch oven? I have a lodge and made carnitas in it this weekend that left quite a lot of burnt deliciousness stuck to the bottom. I ended up repurposing a nylon dish scrubber and heated up water with a ton of baking soda in the dutch over and scrubbed it while hot and it seemed to do the trick. Left a few small 'use' stains on the bottom that I'm not too worried about. Any other methods that produce better results? Just want to avoid scratching the enamel or ruining it if that's even possible.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

toby posted:

I've used it for infusion but what is this about potatoes

Do this. I used yukons, and agar as my foaming agent. It was the best potatoes.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Iron Lung posted:

I have never been happy with a bamboo cutting board - in my experience they tend to warp and crack more than hardwood, and the conventional wisdom among internet knife weirdos is that they are hard on blade edges because they contain so much epoxy.

On the other hand I have a few Epicurean cutting boards and they're great - they need no oiling and in fact can be put in the dishwasher, and they're pretty gentle on knife edges. They are also extremely thin and light. Sierra Trading Post sometimes has them for around $15.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

re: cutting boards

Get one of these. http://www.amazon.com/San-Jamar-CB1...s=cut+and+carry

I use these daily at work, and they can take a beating. No warping either, and we've had them for about 2 year now.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sani-tuffs are also a good option if you want to go synthetic.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Always go for the isi pro whipper. You can use it for so much more. Rapid infusion, potatoes, foams, etc.

is this the right one? http://www.amazon.com/iSi-2470-Thermo-Cream-Whipper/dp/B000928EGG/ref=wr_it_dp_o_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=Z1PVU0XO29IU&coliid=I1E6REDXWP2X12

I've had this on my wedding registry :getin: for a while, but I remember when I was researching amazon was weird about models...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

mindphlux posted:

is this the right one? http://www.amazon.com/iSi-2470-Thermo-Cream-Whipper/dp/B000928EGG/ref=wr_it_dp_o_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=Z1PVU0XO29IU&coliid=I1E6REDXWP2X12

I've had this on my wedding registry :getin: for a while, but I remember when I was researching amazon was weird about models...

All the thermo line has compared to the standard profi, is insulation. Profi can take CO2 or N2O. This is what I have. It's the foodservice model. I love it, it's generally in my fridge with some veg/fruit concoction that I like to drink fizzy, with alcohol added, obviously.

So, profi and thermo are basically the same, but thermo stays cold for 8 hours at room temp, and hot for 3 hours at room temp. DO NOT buy one of the soda siphons. Only ever buy an iSi Pro.

• Locked thread