Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

kmzh posted:

There actually is a way to unlock money from your escrow now, I believe, in one-time chunks.

(And yes, these unlocks are also available on the GTN.)

When I first heard about these I really expected them to sell for more than they unlocked(50k unlock for 65k, etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

tallian posted:

When I first heard about these I really expected them to sell for more than they unlocked(50k unlock for 65k, etc)
Can't really do that because the free-to-play people aren't able to afford them very easily. Also they are very cheap in regards to cartel coin cost.

vv
That's...exactly what I mean?

FaintlyQuaint fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 20, 2013

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Can't really do that because the free-to-play people aren't able to afford them very easily. Also they are very cheap in regards to cartel coin cost.

Bioware isn't putting them on the GTN, pubbies are.

I rest my case.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

kmzh posted:

There actually is a way to unlock money from your escrow now, I believe, in one-time chunks.

(And yes, these unlocks are also available on the GTN.)

Do they just port over cash like how they sound like they work, or do they actually increase your cap?

If it's the former i'm not sure how you could really break even with them unless the market got flooded with instances of the escrow transfers popping up. Maybe if they show up in lockboxes too that'd help balance it out. Otherwise you're still trading real life cash/potentially looking at lots of lost money for a one time transfer.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

They're just one time movements, not actual limit raises.

I actually have no idea what the pricing is like... I remember I was curious about it before 2.1 dropped but I've forgotten to check how GTN's shaken out.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

kmzh posted:

They're just one time movements, not actual limit raises.

I actually have no idea what the pricing is like... I remember I was curious about it before 2.1 dropped but I've forgotten to check how GTN's shaken out.

I'll probably check it out myself when I can get online. I didn't even think about the issue of cost on the GTN since I was hoping the wording was off and it was just a cap increase.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

tallian posted:

Bioware isn't putting them on the GTN, pubbies are.

I rest my case.

They

Archonex posted:

Do they just port over cash like how they sound like they work, or do they actually increase your cap?

If it's the former i'm not sure how you could really break even with them unless the market got flooded with instances of the escrow transfers popping up. Maybe if they show up in lockboxes too that'd help balance it out. Otherwise you're still trading real life cash/potentially looking at lots of lost money for a one time transfer.

They just port over they aren't a forever increase. But relative to their CC cost they are super cheap 5k for the cheapest on my server I believe. Barely anything for an F2P player who subbed once and can run dailies on X, Makeb, and Black Hole once per diem. I really think the escrow thing has worked out great so far.

Also they are so cheap often players on my server will toss an ask out for someone to buy one on fleet in exchange for coin and it's never a problem. Not is it for F2P players in a guild, but then again nothing was ever really hard for them since you can buy crew skill unlocks, X access and other things through guild members who then just get reimbursed over time.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I mean I get that F2P is lame, but to be fair, you can put a pretty minimal amount of money into the game and get to preferred which is much less restrictive. I keep subscribed because I think its worth the money, I get the cartel coin stipend, and I enjoy the game. I think of free to play and the preferred options as the most basic, bare bones experience, but still allow you to experience the game. If you want to really get the most of out the game, subscribe.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
F2P right now takes a carrot/stick approach to getting people to throw down some money on the game.

The carrot: you get to play one of the best Star Wars games that's ever been made. The game feels polished and release ready (unlike at launch.)

The stick: impose annoying restrictions on first time players to make the first $15 month feels worth it (and hope that they want more.) Also, be restrictive enough so that current subscribers feel that there's value in the sub and don't go free.

And honestly, if you're new to MMOs, straight up F2P works. The only people complaining about too many sidequests are the people playing multiple alts because of the repeated content.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tezzeract posted:

And honestly, if you're new to MMOs, straight up F2P works. The only people complaining about too many sidequests are the people playing multiple alts because of the repeated content.

Still wanting them to add a Level 50 Legacy perk along side the Living Legend title: Pay 4000 8000 12000 cartel coins and get double experience FOREVER! I'd pay it. I'm sick of going through the same sidequests over and over, when all I really want to do is be a space knight/pope/rear end in a top hat/shepard/psychopath/tesla coil/James Bond/Dogg the Bounty Hunter.

:sigh:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Warmachine posted:

Still wanting them to add a Level 50 Legacy perk along side the Living Legend title: Pay 4000 8000 12000 cartel coins and get double experience FOREVER! I'd pay it. I'm sick of going through the same sidequests over and over, when all I really want to do is be a space knight/pope/rear end in a top hat/shepard/psychopath/tesla coil/James Bond/Dogg the Bounty Hunter.

:sigh:

I've said it before, unless you are in a hurry to level, just do your daily war zone, daily flashpoint, and you'll gain a level every 2-3 days. Then when you're ready, start your class quest. My Guardian is 47, and doesn't have his ship yet :D

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
People who have been around longer than three weeks: Anything I should know about the Gree event before it starts tomorrow?

I'm gonna hit 45 tonight so I should be eligible. Just do the dailies and quests there to gain as much rep as possible?

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Kaysette posted:

People who have been around longer than three weeks: Anything I should know about the Gree event before it starts tomorrow?

I'm gonna hit 45 tonight so I should be eligible. Just do the dailies and quests there to gain as much rep as possible?

Yessir. Also if you can find a crew to run with everyday it will make your life way easier.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
How do the smuggler and agent stories compare to each other? I want to make a character of that archetype but can't decide on a faction. I'm leaning towards smuggler a little since I'm sick of hearing British accents after playing inquisitor.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

folgore posted:

How do the smuggler and agent stories compare to each other? I want to make a character of that archetype but can't decide on a faction. I'm leaning towards smuggler a little since I'm sick of hearing British accents after playing inquisitor.

Agent's story and Smuggler's story are way different from what I've played (which is only Chapter 1) of each.

Agent's are all about being an... Agent. As one of their lines says, "We're the first ones in for info, and the last ones out for cleanup." You're basically a whipping boy to a Darth, but are the most competent person in the Empire. It highlights the issue of having 'be a sith who's strong' be the way you get political clout in the Empire.

The Smuggler meanwhile gets his car jacked, and goes to hunt this guy down, then goes off to make himself rich and be awesome and stuff. He does some neat things, but it's sort of close to the Knight story in that it's more about 'you' then it is about the world.

I'd say the closest fit to the Agent story is the Consular story actually - it shows a lot of interesting facts on the Republic/Jedi, and is all about helping it become a better place, similar to the Agent.

Also, Agents get better companions.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

Agent's story and Smuggler's story are way different from what I've played (which is only Chapter 1) of each.

Agent's are all about being an... Agent. As one of their lines says, "We're the first ones in for info, and the last ones out for cleanup." You're basically a whipping boy to a Darth, but are the most competent person in the Empire. It highlights the issue of having 'be a sith who's strong' be the way you get political clout in the Empire.

The Smuggler meanwhile gets his car jacked, and goes to hunt this guy down, then goes off to make himself rich and be awesome and stuff. He does some neat things, but it's sort of close to the Knight story in that it's more about 'you' then it is about the world.

I'd say the closest fit to the Agent story is the Consular story actually - it shows a lot of interesting facts on the Republic/Jedi, and is all about helping it become a better place, similar to the Agent.

Also, Agents get better companions.

I don't know about agent companions, but the few times I've had Gus out as my smuggler he always says something that makes me laugh. Unfortunately I'm heal spec so I never use him, but he's entertaining.

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Are there any actual rules against, say, dancing naked in front of someone when you see that they're RP'ing really really (really) badly?

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?
I have a question that may or may not have been answered but I can't be bothered reading too closely as I am a terrible person. Also its more like 4 questions: When are the server transfers coming? Are they going to be free for a period of time? Are there announced server mergers happening around the same time? Have there been server mergers since launch?

I haven't played in nearly a year, but very keen to get back into it,

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Ajax posted:

I have a question that may or may not have been answered but I can't be bothered reading too closely as I am a terrible person. Also its more like 4 questions: When are the server transfers coming? Are they going to be free for a period of time? Are there announced server mergers happening around the same time? Have there been server mergers since launch?

I haven't played in nearly a year, but very keen to get back into it,

Server transfers coming in the next patch, should be soon. I highly doubt they will be free, unsure if it will be cartel coins or cash money, but probably cash money. There is a lot to get around with legacies and all that, so really need to hear more info from Bioware on it. I think the only planned mergers are the result of shutting down the Aussie ones, the NA servers all have really high population as far as I know. And yes, there were 2 (?) rounds of server merges.

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?
Ugh I'm on the Aussie one, hopefully that means we get to choose a destination server.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Ajax posted:

Ugh I'm on the Aussie one, hopefully that means we get to choose a destination server.

Well if they are combining them into the NA servers, let me be the first to say gently caress Off, We're Full :smugdog:

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?

Eltoasto posted:

Well if they are combining them into the NA servers, let me be the first to say gently caress Off, We're Full :smugdog:

:australia:

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Ajax posted:

They announced where each of the Aussie servers will eventually be merged into. I know Dalborra is going to be The Harbinger.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Kaysette posted:

Also if/when you're 50 try to get in on Xenoanalyst kills. I'm pretty sure they never updated him to 55.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Other than the occasional orange shell, is there any real reason (other than completionism/achievements) to do Heroic quests? Most of them seem like a gigantic pain in the rear end compared to the xp/gear you get for doing them. I'll probably do them all on Nalima once just to get fat cheevos, but I can see myself ignoring them on any other characters.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Hakarne posted:

Then I open my inventory. I had a bunch of cash saved up on my character (I don't remember exactly how much), but now I'm down to the capped 350,000 for untermensch preferred players.

I didn't know they capped my credits. I quit a month after release and came back about two days ago. I noticed I had 350k credits, which I just assumed is what I had when I quit. If I sub, do I get my missing credits back or is it...gone...for good?

Edit: I should have continued reading. It's in escrow!

Atheist Sunglasses fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 21, 2013

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Speaking of companions, Khem actually made me laugh out loud with one of those 'entered a new area flavour text' bits. Upon entering a cantina: "I have an excellent sabacc face. That was a joke. I hate sabacc." I'm not sure why that got me so much but I couldn't stop laughing.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

I didn't know they capped my credits. I quit a month after release and came back about two days ago. I noticed I had 350k credits, which I just assumed is what I had when I quit. If I sub, do I get my missing credits back or is it...gone...for good?

Edit: I should have continued reading. It's in escrow!

They push out of escrow and you get them back.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

Other than the occasional orange shell, is there any real reason (other than completionism/achievements) to do Heroic quests? Most of them seem like a gigantic pain in the rear end compared to the xp/gear you get for doing them. I'll probably do them all on Nalima once just to get fat cheevos, but I can see myself ignoring them on any other characters.
There is no real reason to do them if you want to level extremely fast. If you can get a group while doing other quest then there's no point in not doing them, though.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Kaysette posted:

With only one character, you won't be able to cap out in a week, so take a look at the reward vendors and see if there's anything you particularly want to shoot for, then see if it's viable.

For one thing, you'll need to do two or three days worth of dailies to hit the rep level where you can enter Gray Secant, which opens up another daily quest and allows access to the raid boss Xenoanalyst. If you're looking to max the number of barter tokens you get from Xenoanalyst, make sure to run it in a 16 man group. 8 man and 16 man both same the same lockout, but 16 man drops more tokens.

Also, note that even if you run up against the weekly reputation cap, you can keep collecting the rep items and turn them in next week after a reset. The event will come back again at some point, so don't feel obligated to burn out trying to grind everything right now.

WarLocke posted:

If you're already rolling with a group, or you can quickly get together a non-poo poo group, they do offer better gear and experience. Not only is the quest XP reward higher, but most of the mobs you'll fight give more. The thing that makes them not worth it is all the time wasted getting people together and wiping repeatedly due to terrible pubbies.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 21, 2013

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

WarLocke posted:

The main reason to do Heroic quests is that they're really fun. Heroic Missions are basically mini-Flashpoints and my fondest memories in SWTOR come from conquering them. All of the heroic missions are worth doing once.

World Bosses haven't been worth it though.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Tezzeract posted:

The main reason to do Heroic quests is that they're really fun. Heroic Missions are basically mini-Flashpoints and my fondest memories in SWTOR come from conquering them. All of the heroic missions are worth doing once.

World Bosses haven't been worth it though.

Haven't done a world boss, but what I usually do is grab the Heroics and keep an eye out in General (or ask in General) while doing the other quests. Once you get three people, THEN you start heading in that direction. The days of "stand around and wait for everyone" are gone, at least - I've had people drop Flashpoints to quest while we waited to fill the spot of someone who dropped.

Heroics can be fun, too, and are great practice for Flashpoints. I learned last night that, if I have two DPS who are low on health, the first one I heal is the one who doesn't break my Whirlwind CC.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I have two characters that can do the Gree event. Am I realistically going to be able to hit champ (as a subscriber) and get enough tokens on my main for a legacy mainhand?

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Rasmussen posted:

I have two characters that can do the Gree event. Am I realistically going to be able to hit champ (as a subscriber) and get enough tokens on my main for a legacy mainhand?
How much reputation do you already have? And do you have any tokens?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

CobiWann posted:

Heroics can be fun, too, and are great practice for Flashpoints. I learned last night that, if I have two DPS who are low on health, the first one I heal is the one who doesn't break my Whirlwind CC.

Doing Heroics without proper CC is so crazy. Some of the fights are overtuned if you don't disable one guy (4 elites and 1 champion? let's do this) and you have to try to eek out a victory with chainstuns and aggro swapping. The entire fight is a burn phase.

Winning feels pretty great, though you'll wipe so much.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

CobiWann posted:

I did a False Emperor HM the other day, and the Assassin tank was sapping so he could have a mob CC'd before pull, and the DPS Merc with us kept attacking before the tank pulled, and usually starting with Death From Above or Sweeping Blasters. Without fail, he died about 3 times because he pulled the entire group on him (and the healer wasn't jumping to heal him).

He jumped on the boss with the ship before the tank pulled, and despite being a ranged DPS, refused to hit the terminal, leaving it up to me (marauder) and the tank to run up and click it.

I finally said "Dude, you know, if you let tank pull, you'll die a whole lot less." He said "Not my fault the tank can't pull aggro off me, he's a terrible tank. Guess I'll have to play at retard speed."

We booted him right away with the message "WE R RETARDS"

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

FaintlyQuaint posted:

How much reputation do you already have? And do you have any tokens?

It's my first time doing the event so I started with nothing. I guess I didn't make that part clear. Thinking about it, but I haven't looked at the numbers, because I'm in bed now but I don't even know if you can get that far during one week because of the cap?

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 21, 2013

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I remember now why I hated the Gree event so much. That loving PVP area that is constantly filled with a raid group of imps ganking every republic player they can find.

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I remember now why I hated the Gree event so much. That loving PVP area that is constantly filled with a raid group of imps ganking every republic player they can find.

Well it is a PvP area, broadcast in chat to make a team of your own to go in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Also, reminder, everyone in a different group shows up as red in there. If there are more than 4 people in the center area and they're not all the in same guild they're probably sitting there waiting for another group to attack. They also don't know who is organized with who.

As a result of this, solo especially as a stealther you can often run right into a furball in the middle and activate it untouched.

Though if you're a carebear on from Bioware forum you'd find out that you're actually supposed to patiently queue for your turn to turn in the orbs. (reminder, nobody knows where an aoe attack will come from!)

• Locked thread