Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Probably the only way to get strong and consistent third-party support is for Nintendo to sit down with developers in advance and go "Okay, what do you want in a console?" the way Sony seems to have done with the PS4.

But even then, Nintendo would probably balk at the resulting manufacturing cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Supercar Gautier posted:

Probably the only way to get strong and consistent third-party support is for Nintendo to sit down with developers in advance and go "Okay, what do you want in a console?" the way Sony seems to have done with the PS4.

But even then, Nintendo would probably balk at the resulting manufacturing cost.

That would involve a bunch of Japanese business men sitting down in a room and having a conversation about them having done something wrong. The likelyhood of that happening is slim to nil. (All the legwork for Sony courting devs for the mid-game PS3/PS4 was done by SCEA and SCEE)

raito
Sep 13, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't know what world you live in where 7 million is "nearly half" that, but in any case, Galaxy 2 was a purely iterative sequel that was really cheap to develop. It makes total sense that it didn't sell as much as Galaxy 1 due to its iterative nature, 7 million is still very strong and very profitable for Nintendo, it kept people talking about the Wii for at least a little bit longer, and it in no way is indicative of any overall sales trend for the 3D Mario franchise.

This. Also, the first Super Mario Galaxy has out for almost three more years and was discounted to $20/whatever equivalents for the Nintendo Selects line. It's pretty obvious that it would have sold more.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Supercar Gautier posted:

Yeah, this is what I was talking about when I said I wished that software was leading the way in innovation and not hardware. When hardware leads, it seems 90% of software doesn't follow.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Playing on the Wii for me is tough because daylight seems to completely gently caress with the sensors, no matter the sensitivity, and my living room has two windows. Even with the blinds down, a crack of light going through is enough to render games like Metroid Prime Trilogy unplayable until it clouds over or night falls, the wiimote flips the gently caress out. Is the Wii U the same way?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, this is what I was talking about when I said I wished that software was leading the way in innovation and not hardware. When hardware leads, it seems 90% of software doesn't follow.

Analog stick and rumble pak say sup.

I think the real problem, as someone else has already pointed out, the only reason everyone is mad at Nintendo, is they aren't sticking with the game plan. Mainly, get as much as possible for as little as possible. The industry is crashing and companies want the easiest way to toss their products out the to the farthest possible base. But only if there's a profit. Unfortunately, Nintendo is more worried about their future than third parties burning in the sea of monetized serialized IPs.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 20, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The N64 did not have the majority of software of that generation so you kind of proved his point.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't know what world you live in where 7 million is "nearly half" that

:confused: The world where 6.3 million is just over half of 10.7 million.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

The N64 did not have the majority of software of that generation so you kind of proved his point.

Wait so analog thumbsticks aren't used for a majority of games? Rumble hasn't become a staple?

Those were both new ways to interact with games. Both wholeheartedly adopted. So much so, Sony created the dualshock.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

bushisms.txt posted:

Wait so analog thumbsticks aren't used for a majority of games? Rumble hasn't become a staple?

Those were both new ways to interact with games. Both wholeheartedly adopted. So much so, Sony created the dualshock.
You're trying to argue to a conversation that isn't being held. We're talking about third-party support, and third-party support chose the Playstation over the N64, it chose the Playstation 2 over the Gamecube, and it chose the Xbox and Playstation 3 over the Wii, and it's chosing next gen hardware over the Wii U.

Of course hardware innovations get copied, that always happens. Thomas Edison made a living out of stealing ideas. But third party support tells me that the way Nintendo is pushing their innovations on publishers/developers is carrying over like a lead balloon.

I also wonder whether LACK of progress in other (NON-FORCED) areas upsets developers. With Wii U, Nintendo chose not to have a unified online infrastructure, or a unified account system, and left literally everything in the hands of the developers, in an era when Steamworks exists. You know in college football how they recruit kids, they wine em and dine em and give em the key to the city and make em feel like they're kings? What are the conveniences that developers get with Wii U? Could Nintendo have done more here, at a root level, at a hardware level?

Cause that kind of stuff isn't even innovation at this point, it should just be there.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 20, 2013

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
I don't really understand where all the talk of a games industry crash is coming from. If anything, it seems like with the huge popularity of indie games and the explosion of mobile gaming, the games industry as a whole is healthier than its been in a long time. It's going to look different than it did 5 years ago in 5 more years with consoles merging with mobile and desktop ecosystems, but I think there's going to be more money to be made off games, not less. The difference here is that I don't see nintendo adapting to changes in gaming like Apple, Microsoft, and Sony.

There are big companies making huge bets on huge budget games, but that's not really any different than the movie industry, which is doing pretty well for itself. At the same time, Steam and other indie game platforms have created a huge and healthy market for small budget games.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

You're trying to argue to a conversation that isn't being held. We're talking about third-party support, and third-party support chose the Playstation over the N64, it chose the Playstation 2 over the Gamecube, and it chose the Xbox and Playstation 3 over the Wii, and it's chosing next gen hardware over the Wii U.

They chose Playstation, because Nintendo was/is full of assholes, who were supercharging for carts and the seal of quality. Also disc based being the wave of the future! Playstation put out dualshocks as soon as they could figure out a name.

That has nothing to do with hardware not being able to lead to innovations.

Samurai Sanders posted:

When hardware leads, it seems 90% of software doesn't follow.
Which is what I was quoting.

Nintendo is still stuck in the 90s were they think that they are big enough that devs will want to make something different on their system, and the truth is, alot of big companies, such as EA, don't want to do anything that isn't guaranteed money, see the UFC fiasco.

waffle posted:

I don't really understand where all the talk of a games industry crash is coming from. If anything, it seems like with the huge popularity of indie games and the explosion of mobile gaming, the games industry as a whole is healthier than its been in a long time. It's going to look different than it did 5 years ago in 5 more years with consoles merging with mobile and desktop ecosystems, but I think there's going to be more money to be made off games, not less. The difference here is that I don't see nintendo adapting to changes in gaming like Apple, Microsoft, and Sony.

There are big companies making huge bets on huge budget games, but that's not really any different than the movie industry, which is doing pretty well for itself. At the same time, Steam and other indie game platforms have created a huge and healthy market for small budget games.

The evidence of the crash is closed giant studios. THQ went down, and more will follow. Everyone is hoping the new boxes will jog the market, but if the same old games are coming out, with higher res and graphics, they will be very sad. This is why DLC exist. Get that guaranteed money for very little and sometimes already paid for work.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

The evidence of the crash is closed giant studios. THQ went down, and more will follow. Everyone is hoping the new boxes will jog the market, but if the same old games are coming out, with higher res and graphics, they will be very sad. This is why DLC exist. Get that guaranteed money for very little and sometimes already paid for work.

People said this in 2006 about HD.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

bushisms.txt posted:

Sure THQ is closing down, but in its place you have a dozen Nimblebit Studios, Mojangs, and Polytrons. The market is undeniably changing, due in part to years of stale game development, the rise of indie game platforms, and mobile gaming, and it'll claim some of the big companies that try to adapt by spending more money. That's hardly a collapse, though, if it changes so that you see smaller companies with smaller budgets releasing games on Android, iOS, or Steam. Along those lines though, I do think the console that will win the generation will ebe the one that embraces this online/mobile/indie gaming market.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

fivegears4reverse posted:

I'm amazed anyone actually believes Ubi has "confidence" in the Wii U after all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over the delay and BETRAYAL of Rayman (likely caused by the fact that Origins was originally a multiplatform game, something that helped contribute to its success in the end, and by limiting its direct sequel to a single platform that isn't selling very well at the moment, Legends was more likely to do worse than its prequel until it experienced a similar price drop). Whole lotta selective memory goin' on around here.

I don't think you know what the word betrayal means.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

bushisms.txt posted:

You can't use THQ as evidence of an impending crash, or even a crash that has 'already happened' (because in both you're actually ignoring the overall health and diversity of today's market compared to when we had an actual for real crash that literally wiped out the hardware-side of the industry). THQ died because of serious money and IP mismanagement, not because "AAA GAME DEVELOPMENT IS UNSUSTAINABLE". AAA development will kill the unsuccessful and the stupid. Smarter companies will find ways to continue producing big budget games without breaking their banks, they will find ways to cut costs. Just because the industry is in flux now (as it always has been) doesn't mean we're actually crashing or have crashed. An actual crash is a helluva lot more catastrophic that just about anything we have seen over the past ten years.

What next? Are you going to point at EA's current financial woes as more evidence of "the crash" (while ignoring they are responsible for the SINGLE MOST EXPENSIVE FLOP IN VIDEO GAMES EVER PRODUCED, a game so expensive to produce AND market that rest of their IP, many of which are actually quite successful overall, could never hope to recoup those losses)?

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I don't think you know what the word betrayal means.

I'm pretty well aware of what it means, I was making fun of the neckbeards who were screaming on these very forums how they were not going to buy ANY Ubisoft products EVER AGAIN because UbiHITLER$$oft turned their back on the Wii U (and then promptly made excuses for why they were going to buy the game again/loved Ubisoft the moment they dropped an exclusive piece of content onto the Wii U to placate them).

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 20, 2013

Runaway Five
Dec 31, 2007
I hate gays almost as much as I hate good posting. Also, God is good. Amen
Regardless of Nintendo's position on anything, a lot of video game companies either completely closed or laid off a lot of employees beginning around 2007. NST (Nintendo Software Technology) is one of the few branches of Nintendo that does software development in America. They did Metroid Hunters on the Nintendo DS and the Mario Vs Donkey Kong game for the GBA. They also were the ones who did the Ocarina of Time Master Quest disc for the Nintendo Gamecube. The main reason they did this was as a gateway to get Nintendo 64 emulation working on the Gamecube.

NST was working on Project HAMMER which was going to be a title for the Nintendo Wii where you break stuff swinging a giant hammer. The project was ultimately cancelled and this really hurt NST. Sadly NST just about quit hiring all together.

So, in America at least, a lot of video game companies folded in the past few years. Nintendo also scaled back their software dev teams in America (at least at NST).

I think there will still be video game consoles for at least the next 10 years. However, the cellphone market is really taking over. When I'm out and about I see very little kids playing games on an iPhone instead of a Gameboy (DS, 3DS). It really sorta makes me sad and goes against my world view. A kid needs a game playing device not a drat cell phone!

Runaway Five fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 21, 2013

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

waffle posted:

That's hardly a collapse, though, if it changes so that you see smaller companies with smaller budgets releasing games on Android, iOS, or Steam. Along those lines though, I do think the console that will win the generation will ebe the one that embraces this online/mobile/indie gaming market.

fivegears4reverse posted:

What next? Are you going to point at EA's current financial woes as more evidence of "the crash" (while ignoring they are responsible for the SINGLE MOST EXPENSIVE FLOP IN VIDEO GAMES EVER PRODUCED, a game so expensive to produce AND market that rest of their IP, many of which are actually quite successful overall, could never hope to recoup those losses)?

This is what I'm getting at. Big budgets have been loving these companies over. SquareEnix is about to go mobile after thinking Tomb Raider was going to do COD numbers. These models for games are not working. Bioshock Infinite is doing terribly if you consider the current AAA model, and the fact that this is the highest rated shooter out right now. Gearbox used another game's funding to make their own game.

Naughty Dog terrified of move to next gen.

Mobile is a bigger threat than alot want to believe. Video games are time wasters, and mobile does that just fine. Hell, I think if GTAV isn't coming to next gen, GTAV itself will kill initial pickups of the new boxes.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 21, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think the game industry is going to crash but I really have to wonder how sustainable AAA development is. The smart companies are already shying away from it unless they've got a sure thing. At the same time low-budget and indie really isn't something that anyone should want to be the sole source of games. There needs to be an area for mid-tier and mid-budget games. If Nintendo was smart they'd do everything they could to become this area but we'll see. I think both Sony and Microsoft are in a good position to do that as well if they can actually get people to look at low-budget games as anything but lazy or "I'll wait until they're $5."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 21, 2013

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

bushisms.txt posted:

This is what I'm getting at. Big budgets have been loving these companies over. SquareEnix is about to go mobile after thinking Tomb Raider was going to do COD numbers. These models for games are not working. Bioshock Infinite is doing terribly if you consider the current AAA model, and the fact that this is the highest rated shooter out right now. Gearbox used another game's funding to make their own game.

Naughty Dog terrified of move to next gen.

Mobile is a bigger threat than alot want to believe. Video games are time wasters, and mobile does that just fine. Hell, I think if GTAV isn't coming to next gen, GTAV itself will kill initial pickups of the new boxes.
Fair enough, I definitely agree that mobile and indie gaming is going to be even bigger than it already is. I don't think that's bad, though (in fact I think it's great for gamers). I think out of the console manufacturers, Microsoft at least is well-posed to take advantage of it (though who knows if they actually will).

At the same time, I don't think AAA development is necessarily unsustainable, there will just be fewer people doing it. Plenty of movie companies are still making money hand over fist from tentpole huge budget movies, and the movie industry is much more mature than the gaming industry.

waffle fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 21, 2013

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

bushisms.txt posted:

This is what I'm getting at. Big budgets have been loving these companies over. SquareEnix is about to go mobile after thinking Tomb Raider was going to do COD numbers. These models for games are not working. Bioshock Infinite is doing terribly if you consider the current AAA model, and the fact that this is the highest rated shooter out right now. Gearbox used another games funding to make their own games.

Again, you're ignoring the UNDERLYING CAUSES of why certain software giants are failing in the current market and just pointing to their actions to correct themselves as "OMG CRASH". SquareEnix is one of the single worst run Japanese gaming companies that still has a mainstream presence worldwide. Like EA, they have suffered from a boondoggle of an MMO (and are spending even more money to TRY AND FIX IT, which is cool from a consumer standpoint but utterly insane from a business perspective). Since the PS2 era, SE has consistently failed to expand in the West with their Japanese titles, and as a result they acquired a number of western developers to try and fix this. Unfortunately, they are so deep in the hole that their only hope IS that more of their games start producing CoD numbers. That's not evidence of a crash for the whole market, that is evidence of SE's mistakes catching up to them.

Any other developer/publisher would look at the reboot for Tomb Raider as a success. The franchise has been suffering a decline in mindshare among gamers since, hell, the PS1 era. The fact that they could even sell as many copies of it as they did in a market that has already seen Lara Croft and her adventures roundly replaced by games like Uncharted speaks volumes of the work that went into the game and its marketing.

The lesson you should be pulling from this isn't that AAA is unsustainable, its that bad business decisions are unsustainable. SE got themselves in trouble well before Tomb Raider was ever even an idea on paper, and for them to expect CoD numbers out of it is a sign of desperation and confusion on their behalf.

It also doesn't help that you're twisting the actual content of your links to fit a doomsday narrative. Bioshock is doing fine, and Take 2 has an actual big gun around the corner with GTA V. It's also mentioned that they lost significantly less money in the last FY compared to the year before(19 million versus 70 million), so they do have a chance of actually going profitable this year.

To catch your edit: Naughty Dog was also terrified going into the PS3. Any developer is going to be terrified working on unfamiliar hardware. What does that mean, exactly? That they're terrified. It's another transition. That by itself means nothing. What is really important is if they are able to adapt to it or if they crumble. That article you post suggests they're aware that its going to be a challenge, not that this is "the end".

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

bushisms.txt posted:

This is what I'm getting at. Big budgets have been loving these companies over. SquareEnix is about to go mobile after thinking Tomb Raider was going to do COD numbers.

Your first article is from 21 November 2011.

Your second is from 26 March 2013.

Your cause and effect doesn't work.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

quote:

Today's numbers, published in Square Enix's latest financial report, do not count digital sales.

Why do sales stats never count digital sales? Are they that small of a portion of sales?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

Why do sales stats never count digital sales? Are they that small of a portion of sales?

I think its mostly because a lot of companies keep their digital sales secret.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Kotick is worried about next-gen. The AAA model is shutting down studios. EA and Take2 can afford to eat loss, but everytime they do, another studio is in danger of closing.

The rumor of the ps4 being $400 for a basic is great if true, but paying an extra $10 for a a cross-gen game, which is the only way these companies will make money, will put a lot of people off on the initial entrance fee. Graphics is what the AAA model is about at the moment, and the industry is hoping consumers don't realize this.

Winks posted:

Your first article is from 21 November 2011.

Your second is from 26 March 2013.l

Your cause and effect doesn't work.

Here's one from this month.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

Steam doesn't give out numbers to anyone but the company who made the game, and most of the time they don't bother getting them/publishing them.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

The new President praised the performance of the Eidos titles (they're profitable) and they're abandoning 'social' titles in favor of better dedicated mobile titles, not their AAA development which is still in full swing.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2013/03/square-enix-ditches-social-games-decides-to-focus-on-epic-and-famous-consumer-games-instead/

SE has its own special problems, but that talk belonged/belongs in the Square thread we had not too long ago and not here, so this will be my last post on it. In any case, THQ and SE's troubles are not a reflection of general AAA development.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
TQH and SE are really bad examples to point to if you want to argue that the sky is falling. THQ failed because they dumped millions into a peripheral that's better off buried next to all of those ET carts. SE is a mess not because making games is expensive, but because developing but not ever releasing games is an awful business model. Really, just ask them how Versus 13 is doing.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

bushisms.txt posted:

Kotick is worried about next-gen. The AAA model is shutting down studios. EA and Take2 can afford to eat loss, but everytime they do, another studio is in danger of closing.

The rumor of the ps4 being $400 for a basic is great if true, but paying an extra $10 for a a cross-gen game, which is the only way these companies will make money, will put a lot of people off on the initial entrance fee. Graphics is what the AAA model is about at the moment, and the industry is hoping consumers don't realize this.

Why do you keep using such terrible loving examples for your posts? Bobby Kotick's Activision has prevailed through Call of Duty, a game that has become a year occurrence. Of course Kotick is afraid of the next gen, it means that his current business model may not automatically have the same desired results right out the gate. They might have to actually put some effort into the new CoD. Not to mention, their acquisition of Blizzard may not turn out to be the slam dunk they thought it would: as it turns out, you can't always rush success anymore than you can just buy it. Kotick isn't heralding an impending crash of the industry, he's concerned that his company's current business models aren't going to be compatible with the upcoming consoles.

I'm not even sure you read the articles you're posting half the time. Even in the SE article you just posted, people are calling their expectations of TR, Sleeping Dogs, and Hitman completely unreasonable. The budgets behind those games are not even close to being the root cause for their financial woes. SE has been looking for a homerun with every single game they've released in the last five years and it hasn't been happening. Coupling that with the disaster that has been the Fabula Crystal Whatthefucksit and FFXIV, they launched three fairly important western titles hoping that these games (which have never been anywhere near the level of visibility or hype that CoD possesses today) would suddenly just achieve CoD numbers without having any factual basis to have such expectations.

EA closing down Visceral is sad. However, considering their last game to market was the new Army of TWO, and considering how that game was shaping up even before launch, the writing was on the wall for those folks months before they actually got shut down.

I don't even know what you're arguing at this point when you drop poo poo like "NEXT GEN IS ONLY ABOUT GRAFFIX". Every console generation has been accompanied by a leap in visual complexity as well as the overall complexity possible in game design as a whole. Are you suggesting that we stay in the current generation LONGER? The generation that has dragged on the longest of any we've yet seen? Where sales for the successful current gen consoles are stagnating and dropping precipitously month to month? Where the Wii is barely even showing up on sales charts for almost two years on and the Wii U has shown up late to the party?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

StevenM posted:

For what it's worth I think the recycling is much more obvious with the New series than it was with earlier Mario games, mostly because they're afraid of messing with a "formula" that wasn't really set in stone in the first place.

The four NSMB games are mechanically identical. The original SMB games were all distinct. SMB2 had no time limit, had a slot minigame, removed the jump attack, and introduced the throwing mechanic. SMB3 introduced a map screen, an inventory, alternate paths, animal suits and flight.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You're neglecting Super Mario Bros 2, Japanese version. Although it introduced wind physics and Luigi physics, and more advanced bouncing physics, it used the exact same graphics, enemies and powerups as Super Mario Bros(maybe a couple palette swaps here and there).

There was also a weird PC port that has a few different levels and the hammer powerup from Donkey Kong of all things.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Graphics are fine, but when that is pretty much the only reason to pick up a console, maybe we should hold off. The AAA is all about incremental changes and pushing out almost the same product every year. Everyone is becoming guilty of this. People are saying the expectations of SE were unreasonable, and rightly so, but it didn't stop the company from OKing the budget.

The fact that the Wii U is wet poo poo right now, shows that. Besides maybe 3 games, there is not a reason to own it. With incoming games, hopefully this will change. But unless devs decide to not just do shooters, which it seems everyone is doing, the market is going to dry up. Sony just shutdown the devs working on the next WipeOut. EA stopped working on the Wii U, partially because they would actually have to spend money on dev tools, and actually make something not bullshit.

This is why Nintendo and Sony, MSFT will once they announce, are calling all indies. Because indies aren't tied to stock holders to keep them from taking risks.

You seem to be saying the same thing as me, but trying to word it differently? I believe lovely business practices = AAA model. DJ Hero was one of many games that were victim to this practice. I'm in the now-gen, with my pc, and if someone doesn't do something different with gaming, it will stall out and stagnate. This is where Nintendo was trying to go with the Wii, although I think the Kinect 2.0 might wow us.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

OLIVIAS WILDE RIDER posted:

Steam doesn't give out numbers to anyone but the company who made the game, and most of the time they don't bother getting them/publishing them.

As a neophyte accountant, this sounds really fishy (according to GAAP and international accounting standards, a company must report their major business segments in their financial reports).

There's probably something I don't know, but I hope whoever is auditing videogame publishers is giving this serious consideration. If anyone has more experience in this field, I'd appreciate hearing your take.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 21, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

SirPhoebos posted:

As a neophyte accountant, this sounds really fishy (according to GAAP and international accounting standards, a company must report their major business segments in their financial reports).

There's probably something I don't know, but I hope whoever is auditing videogame publishers is giving this serious consideration. If anyone has more experience in this field, I'd appreciate hearing your take.

It's probably reported, but as something like "misc business revenue". And even if it's specifically reported they don't have to say "we sold 1 million copies on steam", just "we got this much revenue from digital sales".

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

bushisms.txt posted:

Graphics are fine, but when that is pretty much the only reason to pick up a console, maybe we should hold off. The AAA is all about incremental changes and pushing out almost the same product every year. Everyone is becoming guilty of this. People are saying the expectations of SE were unreasonable, and rightly so, but it didn't stop the company from OKing the budget.

YOU are assuming that the ONLY reason to pick up the new consoles is graphics, which flies in the face how every single console generation has ultimately played out. Gamers have become more demanding of games for more than just graphics. Games have improved across the board over the last 25 years, and pretending otherwise is akin to sticking your head in the sand and screaming "I'M NOT LISTENING DOOP DOOP DOOP".

Again, you are ignoring the fact that SE was in trouble well before they started pushing western development and outreach.

quote:

The fact that the Wii U is wet poo poo right now, shows that. Besides maybe 3 games, there is not a reason to own it. With incoming games, hopefully this will change. But unless devs decide to not just do shooters, which it seems everyone is doing, the market is going to dry up. Sony just shutdown the devs working on the next WipeOut. EA stopped working on the Wii U, partially because they would actually have to spend money on dev tools, and actually make something not bullshit.

Holy poo poo no. NO. The Wii U is wet poo poo right now not because they tried to "push graphics". They didn't try to push poo poo. They made a slightly better than 360/PS3 box and stuck a wireless second screen on it, then released nothing that compelled people to jump on board. They failed to appeal to the market they captured with the Wii while also failing to supply more games to the "core" gamer. The power of the system alone did not cause the Wii U trouble, it was a failure to deliver software that made the system worth owning.

quote:

This is why Nintendo and Sony, MSFT will once they announce, are calling all indies. Because indies aren't tied to stock holders to keep them from taking risks.

Indies will not save the industry (mostly because it is in a state that does not require "saving"). Get this thought out of your head right now. They have their place, but they will not magically supplant the very real call from consumers themselves for AAA games to be developed and released. The reason publishers keep pursuing AAA development is because IT SELLS. It can potentially sell as well as CoD.

quote:

You seem to be saying the same thing as me, but trying to word it differently? I believe lovely business practices = AAA model. DJ Hero was one of many games that were victim to this practice. I'm in the now-gen, with my pc, and if someone doesn't do something different with gaming, it will stall out and stagnate. This is where Nintendo was trying to go with the Wii, although I think the Kinect 2.0 might wow us.

We are not saying the same thing. You're claiming that AAA development is the bad business practice. I'm claiming bad business practices in general are bad business practices. AAA development is not, by itself, inherently bad. Releasing bad games or otherwise unappealing games produced at those budget levels is bad. You can't deny that AAA games to appeal to a significant portion of the market, otherwise people wouldn't be buying them up by the millions. Every time you cite how a publisher has been doing bad, you keep trying to tie it to AAA development and consistently fail to also notice how many other mistakes a company has been making leading up to the articles you keep linking.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

Yeah thats what I don't get, this is for their financial reports, not just some press release. It seems extremely misleading to exclude digital sales.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 21, 2013

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Graphics aren't the all be all of why you should be excited about an actual HD console in the year of our lord 2013.

I mean yeah, most developers at the start are just going to pump it and not really go into depth for the AI or path finding or handling systems within the virtual world, but there is a lot to be excited about with the next generation.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I would argue that MMO investment of time and money has had a lot more to do with studios getting into financial trouble than AAA development. S-E with FFXIV, EA with The Old Republic and APB. And THQ was basically throwing a Hail Mary pass with the uDraw, and it instead ruined them for good.

Also in the case of publishers like THQ, there's something to be said about accrued bad karma from constantly pushing out bad licensed shovelware on the market endlessly, and they were the main culprit. It's a very similar story to Acclaim before them, who primarily shoveled out crap onto the market and then people eventually just stopped buying their horseshit. Then they turned to MMOs and welp.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 21, 2013

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Zomodok posted:

Graphics aren't the all be all of why you should be excited about an actual HD console in the year of our lord 2013.

I mean yeah, most developers at the start are just going to pump it and not really go into depth for the AI or path finding or handling systems within the virtual world, but there is a lot to be excited about with the next generation.
I expect the next generation will have improved online capabilities and more indie development (think a more advanced XBLA). That seems like a pretty good reason to me. Might not pan out, but that's what I hope. I actually am optimistic this generation will see a bigger leap in "gameplay" than the last generation.

edit: oh wait, you were saying the opposite of what I thought (and therefore agree with me). Shame on me for skimming over your post too quickly.

waffle fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Zomodok posted:

The graphics is one of my big problems with the Wii U. It can pump out 1080p, but only without anti-aliasing. Sure, it's not nearly as bad as the Wii's 480p with no anti-aliasing, but it's 2013 for crying out loud! I don't want to play the next Zelda game and see jagged edges everywhere...again.

• Locked thread