Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Shatoetry, the official app of William Shatner, just went free!

:patriot:

It's basically like playing with one of those magnet poetry sets on the fridge, except when you're done Shatner reads it. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

randyest posted:

That's fantastic. Link your app so we don't have to search and possibly have time to talk ourselves out of an impulse buy!

Impulse buy = best buy. :)

App Store:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tc-11/id488577050?mt=8

http://www.bitshapesoftware.com/instruments/tc-11/

And of course if you have any questions just ask.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Shatoetry, the official app of William Shatner, just went free!

:patriot:

It's basically like playing with one of those magnet poetry sets on the fridge, except when you're done Shatner reads it. :allears:

You just made my day. This is everything I ever wanted a smart phone for <3

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
So does that Gmusic app for for Google Music All Access?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

PaganGoatPants posted:

So does that Gmusic app for for Google Music All Access?

No app supports all access yet. They claim they're submitting/submitted an update this weekend that supports it though.

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

Circadia Codes

http://codehookup.com/04b25de9
All Gone.

Kruxy fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 20, 2013

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Never seen that used before, that's rather neat.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Despite your edit, it seems I got the last copy. Thanks.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

IUG posted:

Despite your edit, it seems I got the last copy. Thanks.

I unclaimed the last one because I found it was US only

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Is there an app that cancels unnecessary background processes and frees up memory, like memory clean for OSX?

Or is it not really needed with iOS?

Just trying to maximize my battery life.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ChocNitty posted:

Is there an app that cancels unnecessary background processes and frees up memory, like memory clean for OSX?

Not needed for iOS.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

ChocNitty posted:

There are jailbreak tweaks that will do this, but nothing in the normal app store. As has been said it's not useful* unless you're running 3+ year old hardware like a 3G or 3GS, and even then benefits are marginal by all anecdotes I've heard.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Best way to manage memory is to not pay attention to how much memory is being used at any given time.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Splitwise - Free

Need an easy way to track and split bills? Splitwise will do it for you. Add your roommate, dad, co-worker, neighbor, wife, whoever, and you can stop and settle up at any time.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I liked the look of that app but when I tried to use it it seemed like I had to add a user tied to their email address, and that it would email them to invite them to join or something. There was no way to just add someone without tying it to a contact.

Am I mistaken about it emailing the people you add? I just wanted to keep track of things for myself and not spam my friends / family about it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

DarkJC posted:

I liked the look of that app but when I tried to use it it seemed like I had to add a user tied to their email address, and that it would email them to invite them to join or something. There was no way to just add someone without tying it to a contact.

Am I mistaken about it emailing the people you add? I just wanted to keep track of things for myself and not spam my friends / family about it.

It appears you have to have an email address to include people in your bill splitting, however:

- I've never received a single email after the sign-up.
- You can use a secondary email address that you don't often use.
- You can turn off receiving emails.
- I think they prefer to have a contact listed because of the program's idea of "fairness".

Also, note that when at home, you can also use the site - splitwise.com.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

In the hangouts app, is there any way to get alerts for hangouts but not for normal GTalk messages?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

smackfu posted:

In the hangouts app, is there any way to get alerts for hangouts but not for normal GTalk messages?

It was my understanding that Gtalk was being folded into Hangouts and everything should be showing up as Hangouts from here on out.

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

I don't use google+ or hangouts or whatever but I grabbed the app assuming I'd be able to talk to my one buddy I have on Gtalk and can't even figure it out. Is there some hidden buddy list or something I'm missing?

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

a glorious hole posted:

I don't use google+ or hangouts or whatever but I grabbed the app assuming I'd be able to talk to my one buddy I have on Gtalk and can't even figure it out. Is there some hidden buddy list or something I'm missing?

If you hit the "+" in the corner you should be able to search for him by name or e-mail to open up the Hangout page to chat with him.

Despoiler
Apr 9, 2002
I liked the part where Kuriyama did his big speech.
I get that they're trying to make it an alternative to texting but it's pretty annoying that they don't display presence (online/away/offline) since no one I know uses Hangouts yet. While I admire their aspirations, people aren't all going to switch over to this. I have a lot of friends who use gchat only when they're at work, and it's obnoxious that hangouts won't tell me if they're online or not.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Since there isn't an iBooks thread that I know about, for you guys...

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Kingnothing posted:

Thanks! I took the FT4 one.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone want a code for The Heist? It's the Starbucks app free app but I already have it:

7YM74W3F9HHP

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

smackfu posted:

Anyone want a code for The Heist? It's the Starbucks app free app but I already have it:

7YM74W3F9HHP

Thanks

Lrigwoc
Aug 16, 2007
Reverse
Any recommendations for a simple TV guide app? I am mostly looking for just listings of OTA channels. Letting me know what shows are on streaming services is a plus.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Kingnothing posted:

I took the KMH one. Thanks!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Piictu posted:

Piictu is joining Kandu (a Betaworks company)!

We’re excited to announce that Piictu is joining forces with Kandu - “a Betaworks company” that shares our vision and ideals of how technology is a catalyst for a better and richer world. Together we will continue to build and bring users great products and experiences for a brighter future.

Unfortunately, this news doesn't come without hardship. At the end of May, the Piictu app will no longer be available. The important thing: You will not lose any of your photos and we trust you will reconnect with all your piictu-friends on other networks like tumblr, kik, twitter and instagram - some of our fave.

Over the past two years we’ve had the opportunity of supporting and sharing unique moments of our lives in pictures. Piictu was built on the idea that “the change in use of photography” is opening new opportunities to communicate and interact as humans. We’ve seen this stand true and flourish not only on piictu, but on other networks as well.

On Friday May 31st, the app will no longer be available. You’ll be able to download your photos until Friday June 7th by following the instructions on our blog.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lrigwoc posted:

Any recommendations for a simple TV guide app? I am mostly looking for just listings of OTA channels. Letting me know what shows are on streaming services is a plus.
How about the...TV Guide app? Just downloaded it now, like it better than the AOL TV/iTV app I was using before at least, and the intro thing says it can link to other services (or directly to those apps?) but I can't tell how that works in practice.

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

I put these in the Free MP3 thread in NMD a couple of days ago, but they're all too cool for free Starbucks music.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Despair

http://codehookup.com/923a7c92

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That code hookup app is sweet... and a little creepy. How does it know I claimed one of the codes on my phone when I'm on my laptop now??

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
What do you mean how does it know? It just switches to "Claimed" status as soon as you claim one to prevent others from copy+pasting faster than you, it doesn't know if you've actually entered it on the store or not.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
Is there an easy way to copy photos from my Windows PC to my iPad without iTunes? I want to bring some photos on a trip to show the parents but I don't want to install iTunes just for that.

EDIT: I need them physically on the iPad because I won't have internet at some points. There's about a hundred so starring them in Dropbox won't do.

gariig fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 23, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

gariig posted:

Is there an easy way to copy photos from my Windows PC to my iPad without iTunes? I want to bring some photos on a trip to show the parents but I don't want to install iTunes just for that.

EDIT: I need them physically on the iPad because I won't have internet at some points. There's about a hundred so starring them in Dropbox won't do.

Look into iFunBox. I believe it lets you import export music, photos, ringtones and books (?) without the need for iTunes.

Also maybe not dropbox but any third party files app (I use Documents by Readle) lets you download entire folders from Dropbox or anywhere else.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Any apps that give you a list of recipes based on the ingredients (or for that matter any recipes applications) you might recommend? I don't usually have an idea what I'm in the mood for and would really like to put the content of my fridge ( + my mediocre skill level ;)) to get some weird, but tasty foods.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

smackfu posted:

That code hookup app is sweet... and a little creepy. How does it know I claimed one of the codes on my phone when I'm on my laptop now??

Is there an app that publishes available codes for the free apps/songs you'd get at Starbucks, but for when you don't go to Starbucks/they're all out of the freebies?

Or shares codes given away by people?

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

Red posted:

Is there an app that publishes available codes for the free apps/songs you'd get at Starbucks, but for when you don't go to Starbucks/they're all out of the freebies?

Or shares codes given away by people?

The Starbucks app does exactly this.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Look into iFunBox. I believe it lets you import export music, photos, ringtones and books (?) without the need for iTunes.

Also maybe not dropbox but any third party files app (I use Documents by Readle) lets you download entire folders from Dropbox or anywhere else.

It looks like iFunBox requires iTunes to be installed. I tried using some software from CopyTrans to get the drivers but that didn't work. I ended up finding instructions on how to use iCloud to get the pictures into Photostream which is good enough. I did try the Documents by Readle and that would have worked and I tried Goodreader but the photo viewing in the app sucked and I couldn't figure out how to get the pictures out in bulk.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The Starbucks app in Canada doesn't seem to give out free codes, hope they add that in. The capabilities seem to lag behind the US version about 6-8 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

DarkJC posted:

What do you mean how does it know? It just switches to "Claimed" status as soon as you claim one to prevent others from copy+pasting faster than you, it doesn't know if you've actually entered it on the store or not.
I claimed it on my phone, and it knows which one I claimed on my laptop. Like it lets me unclaim just that one. It seems to be written with a Twitter API, so maybe it is using my twitter logon cookie somehow.

Economic Sinkhole posted:

The Starbucks app does exactly this.

I'm not sure it is the same apps though. Like I think The Heist and Clear were the most recent ones. And they didn't do any apps at all up until recently, just songs.

• Locked thread