Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zzulu posted:

Maybe try not to look so much for "tropes" and just try to judge if it works on its own merits (I have not seen whatever that Agents of Shield thing is)

That would be a little easier if it weren't for the fact that a lot of what Whedon makes feels like he's purposefully checking off various tropes. I like a lot of his stuff, but often it feels like he's following a recipe instead of crafting an artistic endeavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
TV Tropes is the worst. If something is in some piece of fiction that seems vaguely like another thing that happened once, nerds trip over each other to make a page for it and fill it with as many blue hyperlinks to other "tropes" as fast as they can.

I mean, look at this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NoodlePeople

quote:

Has nothing to do with incidents or implements. If you wanted a trope about characters whose limbs have the flexibility of noodles, that's Rubber Hose Limbs. Compare Nothing but Skin and Bones. Contrast with Puni Plush. Frequently paired with Creepy Long Fingers and/or Creepily Long Arms.

Mr_Zombie
Mar 27, 2011

Is it sad that I argued with myself over the use of the word tropes when what I actually wanted to say was cliche?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Electromax posted:

TV Tropes is the worst. If something is in some piece of fiction that seems vaguely like another thing that happened once, nerds trip over each other to make a page for it and fill it with as many blue hyperlinks to other "tropes" as fast as they can.

I mean, look at this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NoodlePeople

Does the TV Tropes site have any fan fiction or creative writing forums? I'd really love to see those idiots critique each others' work.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

TV Tropes is a diarrhea-like taxonomic explosion of pointlessly superficial media descriptors presided over by apologists for every bad habit a nerd ever had. But I don't think a story's resemblance to the sort of programs the trope checklists were originally created to describe, or a creator's tendency to make the same, is much of a mark against it. That's just a step removed from the fallacy of hating something on the basis of its fans.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Zzulu posted:

Maybe try not to look so much for "tropes" and just try to judge if it works on its own merits (I have not seen whatever that Agents of Shield thing is)
But somebody's done this before, therefore it is bad.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
TvTropes is a cataloguing of the relationships between every work of fiction ever written, it's a pretty impressive endeavor that never needed to exist.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

To whoever said Marvel would never think about recasting Stark on the last page, Feige has said point blank that he doesn't think any of these characters are tied to a specific actor. I'm sure they'll hang onto RDJ as long as they can, but when he's done expect them to make Iron Man 4 or whatever with some new guy. It's going to happen.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

TheJoker138 posted:

To whoever said Marvel would never think about recasting Stark on the last page, Feige has said point blank that he doesn't think any of these characters are tied to a specific actor. I'm sure they'll hang onto RDJ as long as they can, but when he's done expect them to make Iron Man 4 or whatever with some new guy. It's going to happen.

Also, in other shocking news, water is wet.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I would totally be ok with them killing off Tony in Avengers 2. They need something major to happen, and he is definitely the only Marvel character at the moment that anybody would really be sad about. Plus, with what I read about him wanting to be done with the movies, it seems like the best choice.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheJoker138 posted:

Is it wrong that when they recast the characters I want them to have a silly new haircut? Now, who gets their mullet first?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Officer Farva posted:

I would totally be ok with them killing off Tony in Avengers 2. They need something major to happen, and he is definitely the only Marvel character at the moment that anybody would really be sad about. Plus, with what I read about him wanting to be done with the movies, it seems like the best choice.

Maybe it'd be easier to change the actors if they use alternate characters for a while.

Avengers 3, featuring fan favourite characters Thunderstrike, Red Hulk, War Machine, and USAgent!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Sorry, I'm not seeing anything with Red Hulk in it. It's an arbitrary line, but it is mine.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I want Marvel to do a Fantastic Four movie, but since the original is with Fox all the characters will be the various FF substitutes that they have the rights to. Ghost Rider, She-Hulk, Ant-Man and so on.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

The MSJ posted:

I want Marvel to do a Fantastic Four movie, but since the original is with Fox all the characters will be the various FF substitutes that they have the rights to. Ghost Rider, She-Hulk, Ant-Man and so on.

Maybe they should just make four original characters instead with the same or similar powers as the FF, only to strengthen the theme of the FF being a "family", make them a literal family of superheros...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Maybe they should just make four original characters instead with the same or similar powers as the FF, only to strengthen the theme of the FF being a "family", make them a literal family of superheros...

Marvel's parent company Disney already made that movie, it was called The Incredibles.

If it weren't for other right's issues, I'd love a Fantastic Four movie with Spider-Man, Wolverine, The Hulk and Ghost Rider.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Whenever an actor wants to stop being a character, have them go through time dimension portals at the very end of the movie and at the start of the next one have the new actor/actress pop out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Democratic Pirate posted:

Whenever an actor wants to stop being a character, have them go through time dimension portals at the very end of the movie and at the start of the next one have the new actor/actress pop out.

Tony Stark could be revealed as a Time L.ord

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Officer Farva posted:

If they kill him off, they can replace him with Cheadle instead of recasting him. He can do sharp banter as well as Downey, Jr.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Skwirl posted:

Marvel's parent company Disney already made that movie, it was called The Incredibles.

:thejoke:

gently caress the superheros, anyway, I will see Fantastic Four if and only if they get Doctor Doom right :doom:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DNS posted:

If they kill him off, they can replace him with Cheadle instead of recasting him. He can do sharp banter as well as Downey, Jr.

This, do this. Only don't actually kill off Tony Stark, have Cheadle play Tony Stark. Not for the outrage we'd get now (though that's a bonus), but for the confusion it's going to cause the kids of everyone who loves The Avengers movies when they try and explain them to their kids.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

DNS posted:

I really don't care what they do, I don't know why you need a "man in a robot suit" character, but if that's what it takes, cool. I, personally, don't like recasting, and I'd rather they just dropped the character completely if the actor didn't want to do it anymore. But, I also wouldn't be too upset if most of the other cast members were recast, since I'm not really that attached to any of them. Guess that's what happens when you have the same actor playing one character for four different movies. And if that's silly, imagine them recasting Indiana Jones and tell me you don't feel the same way.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like having Thor in the mix because it is good that superhero movies are comfortable with at least some level of the fantasy/cosmic stuff.

I still hope against hope for an unadulterated Kirbyesque Fourth World movie. Just all out THERE CAME A DAY WHEN THE OLD GODS DIED!

Also a JLI film.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Feige did say he's also considering an Inhumans movie. How Kirby are those guys?

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

I still hope against hope for an unadulterated Kirbyesque Fourth World movie.

There's a Superman movie coming out this year.

Let us pray.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

TvTropes is a cataloguing of the relationships between every work of fiction ever written, it's a pretty impressive endeavor that never needed to exist.

Eh. It's a fun diversion. As usual, the problem isn't the idea of linking fictional similarities, it's that a subset of people look at it and say, "ah-ha, we have the formula to judge the merit of fictional works with now!"

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

The Riddle of Feel posted:

There's a Superman movie coming out this year.

Let us pray.

Can I skip the IMAX version?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The MSJ posted:

Feige did say he's also considering an Inhumans movie. How Kirby are those guys?

They were a Stan Lee/Jack Kirby creation. So, pretty Kirby. I'd assume they'd fall under the Fantastic 4 rights though.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I'd rather they recast people by just having someone new take up that superhero mantle in the films. Make war machine the new iron man, have that lady viking with the sword pry the hammer out of Thor's cold, dead hands and become the new god of thunder. I'm not sure if the comic book movie trend will last long enough for them to pull that kind of poo poo in any meaningful capacity though.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The MSJ posted:

They have a giant teleporting bulldog, mutating clouds, kung-fu expert with a big head and a royal couple where the queen talks for her husband because she is so drat good at understanding him. Inhumans are Kirby as gently caress.

They also have much more potential for "politics of the gods" and "alien gods don't understand earth people" themes rather than vanilla Asgard. And since Kirby they have been treated with care, compared to how overused Galactus and Celestials have become at the same time (well, maybe Black Bolt talks a bit too much). There are quite a few decent comics with them by David Hine, Paul Jenkins, Ladronn, Frazer Irving and Jae Lee - a lot of material to build a movie.

Red Bones posted:

I'd rather they recast people by just having someone new take up that superhero mantle in the films. Make war machine the new iron man,
Marvel trust more in a cgi racoon than a black dude or woman for a leading role.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Too be entirely fair, the lead character in Guardians of The Galaxy is a still a white human male. The green people, the tree and the raccoon naturally answers to him.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New Wolverine trailer. This one starts with some Famke Janssen and ends with a better look at Silver Samurai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th1NTVIhUQU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"A man can run out of things to live for."

That day ain't here yet.

This film probably won't be very good but I have a stupid man crush on Jackman so I'll be there opening night.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
It's genuinely hard not to be entertained when he plays Wolverine. I'll see it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I mean even though Wolverine: Origins was terribly plot wise I'd have hard time saying Jackman wasn't wonderful in it. I don't care I'll go see it because I love Hugh Jackman.

He did a Twitter Q and A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMtcdMifff0

How can you not love that man.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 21, 2013

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

The MSJ posted:

New Wolverine trailer. This one starts with some Famke Janssen and ends with a better look at Silver Samurai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th1NTVIhUQU
This trailer was great. It's the first Wolverine trailer to get me hyped for the movie

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Mr_Zombie posted:

I have the notion that Whedon's best stuff is usually riffing on tropes and not ticking boxes. Am I remembering Firefly and Buffy that wrong?

No you are not remembering them wrong. Whedon wrote some of the great non-tropey episodes of Buffy such as "The Body", "The Gift" and "Becoming, pt 2". I think people hate on his writing for the stylized dialogue and lack of subtlety. The characters do tend to go through very specific beats (now a snappy line, now a big emotion, now a badass fighting move) but it reads clearly and is all character driven. That may not be a satisfying writing style for someone looking for a lot of subtlety, depth and rich subtext but genre-soap-opera writing is very inclusive of a wide audience (which is what I think one would want out of summer-blockbuster fare). I can understand people not wanting their favorite costumed heroes to be given the genre-soap-opera treatment, but such a style does not mean Whedon's writing is always tropey.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I didn't mind Wolverine: Origins or even X-Men: The Last Stand. They weren't great but I don't remember feeling like I had my teeth kicked in the way I did with Spider-Man 3 or Superman Returns. I'd rather watch a double feature of the former over the latter any day.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Do we know when The Wolverine is set relative to the rest of the X-Men movies yet? Because if its after X-Men 3, the whole "I can make you mortal" plot point makes no sense, since X-Men 3 established that there's a "cure" for being a mutant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

jivjov posted:

Do we know when The Wolverine is set relative to the rest of the X-Men movies yet? Because if its after X-Men 3, the whole "I can make you mortal" plot point makes no sense, since X-Men 3 established that there's a "cure" for being a mutant.
It's supposed to be after 3.

• Locked thread