Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Meowbot posted:

Is there any good comedies from the past few years that were actually really great but possibly overlooked?

Black Dynamite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm in the mood for a technical movie with a complex or ambiguous narrative, where following the movie presents a challenge in itself. Think Memento, Timecrimes, Primer, Upstream Color, Stay, 12 Monkeys. A "puzzle" movie. If it involves time travel, extra points.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

caiman posted:

I'm in the mood for a technical movie with a complex or ambiguous narrative, where following the movie presents a challenge in itself. Think Memento, Timecrimes, Primer, Upstream Color, Stay, 12 Monkeys. A "puzzle" movie. If it involves time travel, extra points.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you've already seen it but Triangle is a movie that you are looking for.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Mouser.. posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that you've already seen it but Triangle is a movie that you are looking for.

Nope, haven't seen it. In fact haven't even heard of it. 2009, right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

caiman posted:

Looper, Following, House of Games, The Spanish Prisoner

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Skwirl posted:

Seen all of those except House of Games. I'll check it out.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

caiman posted:

Nope, haven't seen it. In fact haven't even heard of it. 2009, right?

Yes the 2009 movie that's directed by Christopher Smith. There have been a lot of comparisons between Triangle and Timecrimes but they are entirely coincidental and I have always been in the camp that far prefers Triangle over Timecrimes.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

caiman posted:

All from David Lynch:
Lost Highway
Mulholland Drive
Inland Empire

And Triangle was awesome.

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
I've fallen back in love with and watched O Brother, Where Art Thou a dozen times this month. I'm wondering, now, which movies match the light-hearted adventure tone of O Brother, and also have the same focus on music? I understand it's a pretty specific request, and I can't think of anything similar off the top of my head.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The Blues Brothers, American Graffiti, The Producers (1968), Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Top Secret!, Back to the Future, High Fidelity sort of, This Is Spinal Tap, A Mighty Wind, any Disney movie (like Aladdin, The Lion King, etc.), Jesus Christ Superstar sort of, and probably some other movies that I can't think of right now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What are some movies about competent, talented people getting away with (or almost getting away with - no spoilers!) elaborate plans? I'd prefer it not be the Joss Whedon-I'm-Brilliant-At-Everything-But-Haven't-Earned-It magical plot device character, but someone who is just great at planning, execution, and deception. I'm thinking Thomas Crowne Affair, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Talented Mr. Ripley, and to a lesser degree Ocean's 11.

Swim Good
Nov 9, 2012

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, Harold and Maude, Love and Death, Twelve Monkeys.

Non-comedies:
Synecdoche, New York
Crimes and Misdemeanors (this is maybe a comedy?)
Any Tarkovsky film
Most Kubrick films
Waking Life
Lots of Coen Bros. films (most specifically No Country for Old Men, A Serious Man, and Barton Fink)
THX 1138
My Dinner with Andre
The Seventh Seal and probably lots of other Bergman
Thin Red Line
Total Recall (kind of a comedy)
The Man from Earth
The Swimmer
Blade Runner

Wow, thanks man. I'm going to go on a marathon!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

feedmyleg posted:

What are some movies about competent, talented people getting away with (or almost getting away with - no spoilers!) elaborate plans? I'd prefer it not be the Joss Whedon-I'm-Brilliant-At-Everything-But-Haven't-Earned-It magical plot device character, but someone who is just great at planning, execution, and deception. I'm thinking Thomas Crowne Affair, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Talented Mr. Ripley, and to a lesser degree Ocean's 11.
All About Eve, The Third Man, A Fistful of Dollars, The Godfather, The Long Goodbye, Brick, The Great Escape, The Sting, Assassination of a High School President, The Maltese Falcon, The Brothers Bloom, Inglourious Basterds, In the Loop, Glengarry Glen Ross, The Lady from Shanghai, Seven, Four Lions, Mission: Impossibles 1-4 (but 2 is poo poo), Duplicity, Jackie Brown, Memento, Primer, The Conversation, Going by the Book, Inside Man, Exit Through the Gift Shop.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Swim Good posted:

Wow, thanks man. I'm going to go on a marathon!
Let us (me...) know how you like them/whether you found them philosophical!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

feedmyleg posted:

Most everything I could mention was already said except Election, and

Skwirl posted:

Most of these are people not quite getting away with it, but I don't want to spoil which is which.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

caiman posted:

Adaptation
L.A. Confidential
Solaris
(both the Tarkovsky version and the worse but still OK new version)
The Sting
Rashomon
In the Loop
Brick
Zodiac
Dark City
(director's cut)
Duplicity
Zero Effect
(I think; it has been a while since I've seen it)

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
What are some good movies or documentaries about or mostly revolving around High School?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Hat Thoughts posted:

What are some good movies or documentaries about or mostly revolving around High School?

Brick
Dazed and Confused

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

feedmyleg posted:

I asked for something similar a few months back and I was introduced to the TV show Leverage, where every single episode is about making and carrying out awesomely planned stuff. Five seasons of pure joy, I gorged myself on that thing.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Anyone know any good Noir or Neonoir movies. Preferably, but necessarily, black and white and rather archetypal visually and story wise.

I'm also looking for something similar in the form of a Spaghetti Western. Something that's easily recognizable as part of the genre that isn't by Leone. Also preferably something good. Recommendations for good but less well known American Westerns would also be appreciated.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Hat Thoughts posted:

21 Jump Street

FreudianSlippers posted:

Anyone know any good Noir or Neonoir movies. Preferably, but necessarily, black and white and rather archetypal visually and story wise.

I'm also looking for something similar in the form of a Spaghetti Western. Something that's easily recognizable as part of the genre that isn't by Leone. Also preferably something good. Recommendations for good but less well known American Westerns would also be appreciated.

Brick. Everyone watch Brick :colbert:

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Hat Thoughts posted:

Clueless
Election
Detention

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Assassination of a High School President, Breakfast Club, Heathers, Mean Girls, Hoop Dreams, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Easy A, Carrie, Napoleon Dynamite, and maybe you could be one of those strange people who likes 10 Things I Hate About You.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Noir: these films. Neonoir: these films.

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
I'm looking for films like Taxi Driver. Not the ones that are just familiar to it in style or topic, but ones that are about loneliness and capture this feeling of utter alienation and pointlessness as well as Taxi Driver does.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Red Garland posted:

I'm looking for films like Taxi Driver. Not the ones that are just familiar to it in style or topic, but ones that are about loneliness and capture this feeling of utter alienation and pointlessness as well as Taxi Driver does.

Taxi Driver is a high bar, but I can suggest "Paris, Texas", "Naked", "The Conversation", "The Lives of Others", "Martha Marcy May Marlene", "The Consequences of Love" and "Save the Tiger".

These are more contemporary choices, I'm fairly sure European New Wave has a wealth of alienation / loneliness-concerned films but I'm not as familiar with them as I should be (yet).

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Red Garland posted:

A lot of Wong Kar Wai's films touch on both of those topics, specifically as they relate to love / romance. In the Mood for Love, 2046, Happy Together

The Five Obstructions
The Decalogue
Dancer in the Dark
Eraserhead
Melancholia
The Conversation
After Hours (for a darkly comic take on this subject)

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

I liked The Man who Wasn't There, it's neonoir with sprinklings of surrealism.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

FreudianSlippers posted:

Notable non-Leone spaghetti:
The first few Django movies are all great: Django, Django Kill... If You Live Shoot! and Django il Bastardo
Lee Van Cleef stars in a few gems: Death Rides a Horse, The Grand Duel, The Big Gundown and Sabata
Sergio Corbuccio (Django) directed a couple other good ones with: The Great Silence and Companeros
Finally, I have a soft spot for anything Terence Hill and Bud Spencer appear in: My Name is Nobody, They Call Me Trinity..., Trinity is Still My Name

As for good but less well known American Westerns... that all depends on what you've seen already. Here are some more great, non-Leone titles that I enjoy:
The Ox-Bow Incident
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Bad Day at Black Rock
Ride the High Country
The Furies
The Naked Spur
The Man From Laramie
Gunfight at the OK Corral
The Professionals

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

regulargonzalez posted:

A lot of Wong Kar Wai's films touch on both of those topics, specifically as they relate to love / romance. In the Mood for Love, 2046, Happy Together

The Five Obstructions
The Decalogue
Dancer in the Dark
Eraserhead
Melancholia
The Conversation
After Hours (for a darkly comic take on this subject)

How can you mention WKW and not list his most fitting film: Fallen Angels?

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007

Starscream posted:

Alright well some modern ones you may have missed: Azumi, Azumi 2 and Aragami are all fun in their own ways, a little lacking in story but featuring some great action.

Backing up to the 70's you have your Lone Wolf and Cub series. Lots of fun, lots of carnage! There are 6 movies in the series, all well worth watching, and there is also Shogun Assassin which is all the juicy bits from the first two LW&C movies.

Some of my favourite samurai/chambara films were made by Hideo Gosha in the 60's. Not very heady, but all briskly paced and full of action and great photography. Look for: Three Outlaw Samurai (recently released by Criterion), Sword of the Beast (out on Criterion), Tenchu! and Goyokin.

You also have a lot of the big budget classics from the 50's and 60's like Hiroshi Inagaki's Musashi Miyamoto trilogy, Masaki Kobayashi's exceptional Harakiri and Samurai Rebellion and Kurosawa's masterpiece Seven Samurai: the grand-daddy of all samurai films.

I also want to give a special shout out to the unrelenting violence and wonderful cinematography that is Okamoto's Sword of Doom. The first movie in a planned trilogy that was unfortunately never finished.

Enjoy!

This is awesome. Thank you!

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

So this might be a bit vague but I'm looking for movies with a bit of a postmodern, drawing attention to the fact that their movies, type stuff. But not just breaking the 4th wall, stuff that kind of drives home how film can lie to you.

For example, F For Fake. I also just saw Sarah Polley's Stories We Tell and that kind of had the same vibe. I'm also thinking about some of Godard's work where the editing draws heavy attention to itself or Maya Deren's At Land where each cut brings the protagonist to a different location.

Or even stuff like Adaptation or Mulholland Drive.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

So this might be a bit vague but I'm looking for movies with a bit of a postmodern, drawing attention to the fact that their movies, type stuff. But not just breaking the 4th wall, stuff that kind of drives home how film can lie to you.

For example, F For Fake. I also just saw Sarah Polley's Stories We Tell and that kind of had the same vibe. I'm also thinking about some of Godard's work where the editing draws heavy attention to itself or Maya Deren's At Land where each cut brings the protagonist to a different location.

Surely Inland Empire qualifies, and probably Full Frontal (though the former is my least favorite Lynch and the latter is my least favorite Soderbergh). Exit Through the Gift Shop will absolutely make you question if Banksy is loving with you, with the public, or if there is any fuckery at all and I could not recommend this movie more highly. Probably the most similar in feel to F For Fake I can think of.

In a different vein, Irreversible via its structure and camera work and Enter The Void by having a lot of it be from a first person perspective (in a way) accomplish the 'drawing attention to the fact it's a movie" thing very well.

Other ideas:
Purple Rose of Cairo
Funny Games
Synecdoche NY
Adaptation (e: just saw you mentioned this. Definitely check out Synecdoche NY, which was written and directed by the writer of Adaptation)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Thanks, I've seen most of those but will check out the few I haven't. Although for the record I definitely feel like everything in Exit Throuh the Gift Shop is real. I've seen it over five times now and nothing really clues me in that it's a hoax. But it does get a bit into the nature of art and I'm definitely interested in that.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Hm I'll try to work up some additional recommendations, but don't know that any of these will be something you haven't seen and are mostly just meta-reference movies, not movies remarking on the fakery of movies:

Ocean's 12 has one of the most audacious, 4th wall breaking stunts I've seen in a movie
Last Action Hero
Wes Craven's New Nightmare (far better than it has any right to be)
Shadow of the Vampire

e: I'd like to request recommendations for movies that are just straight up gorgeous to look at. Prefer interior locations to landscape vista type deals - along the lines of Flowers of Shanghai and Barry Lyndon

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 23, 2013

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Thanks, I've seen most of those but will check out the few I haven't. Although for the record I definitely feel like everything in Exit Throuh the Gift Shop is real. I've seen it over five times now and nothing really clues me in that it's a hoax. But it does get a bit into the nature of art and I'm definitely interested in that.

Exit Through the Gift Shop is most definitely taking the piss out of the art world something chronic. Thierry/Mr Brainwash is fictional.

pomegranates
Oct 16, 2012

TrixRabbi posted:

How about An Oversimplification of Her Beauty? I haven't actually seen it yet, but from the trailer it looks like it might be sort of what you're looking for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COpJwAeuWHo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Annie Hall
Last Year at Marienbad

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007
My 10 year old daughter just asked me if there were any documentaries about mermaids/merpeople, I figured I'd come here. Anything remotely close to this?

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Stares At Floor posted:

My 10 year old daughter just asked me if there were any documentaries about mermaids/merpeople, I figured I'd come here. Anything remotely close to this?

My 11/12 year old cousins loved this documentary about Mermaids on Animal Planet that aired last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007

Parachute posted:

My 11/12 year old cousins loved this documentary about Mermaids on Animal Planet that aired last year.

Bad rear end, thanks. =)

• Locked thread