Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

EDDIE__DINGLE posted:

Does anyone know how many new episodes of Arrested Development are being released this month and does this new season put a kabosh on the rumored movie?

15 and no, they are still planning on a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Finally got around to seeing John Dies at the End , which was fun and I'm glad I watched it, but it could have been a lot better. The movie was really inconsistent making obvious flaws more noticeable. It seems they went all out on the secondary characters with Paul Giamatti, Clancy Brown, Doug Jones, and Glynn Turman owning the gently caress out of their roles, while the two leads really struggled, and the tertiary characters were "plucked off the streets" bad. CGI seemed really impressive at times for how small the budget must have been, and other times felt all too appropriate. The interesting story, humor, and loving little touches really help get past all that stuff (my favorite moment by far is a half-second gesture a character makes with one hand pointing to their other hand, holding a can labelled gasoline). The biggest detriment was the cinematography utilizing close-ups for 90% of the shots. It's claustrophobic as gently caress, and while that plays to it's advantage in some scenes (like an interrogation), most of the time it's just frustrating and using space badly. There's probably only two very-wide-shots in the movie (back to back) and when they showed up I wanted to first pump just cause it was a change of pace. At first I thought this was Coscarelli's doing, but re-watching a chunk of Phantasm II, the shots are composed way better so I guess this falls mostly on the cinematographer.

Still, I'm glad stuff like it gets made. It wasn't ever boring either, which is something you can't say of a lot of movies embracing similar absurdity (the dull first two acts of Mars Attacks are fresh on my mind). It does feel like there could have been more there though. Hearing how much everyone who read the actual stories disliked the adaptation makes me really eager to read the book.

I watched it this weekend based on the recommendations of this thread. While it was strangely entertaining, and the two leads were pretty cute, the plot was pretty incomprehensible.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really wish there was a way to make the PS3 app stop cutting away from the credits when they come up. It's really distracting and annoying, especially because it'll do it every time it comes to that moment and sometimes there's still stuff going on in the movie. Same with it automatically trying to skip the opening credits of stuff. I don't mind it being an option but there are no options what so ever in the app. I also would prefer that it woudl tell me how much time a movie has left when I pause it (it used to do that but they changed ti for some reason).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
When should we expect s2 of Downton Abbey?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

axleblaze posted:

PS3 app

I also would prefer that it woudl tell me how much time a movie has left when I pause it (it used to do that but they changed ti for some reason).

:raise: As of this morning, it still behaves that way for me.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think I heard that amazon or hulu got it sclusey.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

axleblaze posted:

I really wish there was a way to make the PS3 app stop cutting away from the credits when they come up. It's really distracting and annoying, especially because it'll do it every time it comes to that moment and sometimes there's still stuff going on in the movie. Same with it automatically trying to skip the opening credits of stuff. I don't mind it being an option but there are no options what so ever in the app. I also would prefer that it woudl tell me how much time a movie has left when I pause it (it used to do that but they changed ti for some reason).

Hahahaha, I was just noticing both of those exact grievances today.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Maybe it was mentioned earlier, but I just stumbled across Comedy Bang! Bang! and I highly recommend it to anybody who's a fan of Reggie Watts or Scott "It's Insane, This Guy's Taint" Auckerman. As you'd expect, the show has a sort of Season 4 of Mr. Show feel to it, with maybe a touch of Space Ghost: Coast to Coast (celebrity "interviews" where the focus isn't on the interview, absurd premises and running gags, etc).

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Is there any creepy fantasy on Netflix along the lines of Valerie and her Week of Wonders?

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's on Amazon right now, they've got exclusive rights.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Erebus posted:

It's on Amazon right now, they've got exclusive rights.

Season 2 is on Hulu, Amazon has the exclusive rights to 3 I believe.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

GoodApollo posted:

Season 2 is on Hulu, Amazon has the exclusive rights to 3 I believe.

You're right, I was remembering wrong. At any rate, pretty soon it won't matter.

quote:

The online retailer said that later this year, no digital subscription service other than Prime Instant Video will offer any seasons of "Downton Abbey."

Prime Instant Video will continue to be the exclusive subscription home through Season 4 and, if produced, Season 5 of the show, the company added.

As of July 1, no "Downton Abbey" seasons will be available on Netflix, according to a person familiar with the agreement between Amazon and PBS.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm having an issue with using Netflix on my XBox. Every single time I watch something it automatically has subtitles turned on and its getting to be really annoying to turn it off every time I watch something. I tried googling the issue, but I only get hits for how to turn subtitles on.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Just noticed The Inbetweeners Movie has been added. If you watched the series (and you should have) the movie is very, very funny.

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005

axleblaze posted:

I love this when I'm binge watching tv, but when I'm watching The Last of the Mohicans and it cuts away 4 minutes before the end of the movie it's frustrating.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Netflix: Somehow successful despite doing everything possible to piss our own users off.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Eh I'm over Downton Abby since the Huffington Post put last season's shocker in a headline (don't worry though, in the first paragraph after the headline they gave a spoiler warning!)

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Eh I'm over Downton Abby since the Huffington Post put last season's shocker in a headline (don't worry though, in the first paragraph after the headline they gave a spoiler warning!)

Also the fact that while Season One was a relatively lowkey historical drama with some interesting characterizations and the occasional bit of soap opera drama, season 2 and on just went into full-on batshit crazy mode, with stupid drat plotlines that are literally waved away and forgotten completely, characters doing things for the sake of having dramatic stuff happening, stuff like that. I've never seen a show go so off the rails so quickly.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Crappy Jack posted:

Also the fact that while Season One was a relatively lowkey historical drama with some interesting characterizations and the occasional bit of soap opera drama, season 2 and on just went into full-on batshit crazy mode, with stupid drat plotlines that are literally waved away and forgotten completely, characters doing things for the sake of having dramatic stuff happening, stuff like that. I've never seen a show go so off the rails so quickly.

My thoughts exactly. Not since S2 of Twin Peaks have I seen a show fall so quickly from a good show to cheesy soap opera melodrama.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

I agree. I watch it only because my wife and I like pretending we are pretty pretty princesses that have to be courted by newspaper barons from London.

I think the best moment of the entire show was the very ending of Season 1, when Lord Grantham reads the note, "I have terrible news! We are officially at war!" (end credits music, doodly doodly doodly doodly...) I got chills thinking about how history would never be the same after that. However hamhandedly they dealt with the repercussions I thought the decision to drop that in the middle of a soiree was perfect.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

regulargonzalez posted:

Not since S2 of Twin Peaks have I seen a show fall so quickly from a good show to cheesy soap opera melodrama.
I would argue that all of Twin Peaks is cheesy soap opera melodrama, it's just that it was good cheesy soap opera melodrama until they wrapped up the murder.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It was never the content, it was the execution. Equally cheesy and ridiculous stuff happens in Season 1 (and the first few episodes of 2), it's just handled way better.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I watched Girls Gone Dead the other night and I can't recommend it enough. It's pretty much the best I've seen in the genre of lovely Horror Comedy With Lots of Tits That You Watch Late at Night Because You're Drunk.

Seriously, if you've ever wanted to see Beetlejuice from the Howard Stern Show get decapitated followed by his head falling into the lap of a topless woman who is in the middle of offering a blowjob to a Girls Gone Wild cameraman then this is a movie you should watch.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Tonight I was talked into watching Kumare and it was much better than I anticipated. If you've heard of it, you know the gimmick and you know the story, but you should still check it out. The editing is really good. I worried that the subjects would be presented as suckers, but they're portrayed sympathetically. The experiment is questionable. But in a different way from how I expected. Mostly I appreciated how it brought up many questions without being heavyhanded about answering any. It's one of those movies that's more fun to talk about than to watch. There may be some F For Fake stuff going on here. If you think there is, look at the credits and decide if there are clues there.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
This Must Be The Place isn't always successful. It meanders and it can be a bit too twee at times. I did like it a lot though, and I found it both powerful and hilarious.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

James Woods Fan posted:

This Must Be The Place isn't always successful. It meanders and it can be a bit too twee at times. I did like it a lot though, and I found it both powerful and hilarious.

Yeah, ultimately I really liked it, but I also kept getting mad at it.

- I honestly would have preferred simply a film about Cheyenne and his relationship with his wife and friends. Putting that character in the plot he gets into in America seemed really weird, like someone literally just took two scripts and combined them.

- David Byrne's appearance was completely unnecessary, except for the mini-monologue Cheyenne yells at him, which was probably the most amazing thing Sean Penn did in the film.

- That little kid saying "Play 'This Must Be the Place' by Arcade Fire" seemed... just stupid. And I love Arcade Fire and the Talking Heads, it just... I don't know.

- Way too many lingering, long shots. I think the director and/or cinematographer thought they did a much better job than they actually did.

- The ending. (Mild, mild Breakfast Club spoiler here if anyone actually cares): Cheyenne grows up and dresses like a normal person. Ugh. It was Ally Sheedy in The Breakfast Club all over again.

That said, it's one of the best roles Penn has done, he really got all the weird nuances of the character just right, like his little weird laugh.

Also, not a bad thing, but what was up with the first 30 minutes having literally four different versions of that Bonnie "Prince" Billy song? I mean, I love Will Oldham, but... what was that about?

Old Ash
Dec 29, 2012

foodfight posted:

The Paperboy is a movie where Nicole Kidman urinates on Zac Efron and John Cusack plays a deranged hillbilly. The tone of the movie is definitely jokey which is seriously at odds with some of the content. Matthew McConaughey turns into Snake Plissken.

That movie is one of the worst I've ever seen. I am so so glad I watched it.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

For you all guys who are using that proxy service that allows you to switch the IPs, I recommend you to check the Latin American Netflix,well the Mexican one. I turned off my Media Hint, and just found out that they added District 9, along with Nightmare on Elm Street,among others.

The selection of movies and series might be extremely small, if we compare them with the US, but at least there's a few movies you won't find in the American Netflix.

Edit: And don't worry a great amount of those movies and series come in English,you just chose the Spanish subtitles.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
End of Watch was recently added. I believe that has had positive buzz on the forums.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
It was OK. The ending was...bleh, but the whole thing had a very Joseph Wambaugh feel to it. I have no idea if he had anything to do with it, but if you've read Wambaugh's Hollywood series you'll probably have flashbacks to tone and style.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
End of Watch is excellent. It's definitely one of my favorites from the past few years.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I really enjoyed End Of Watch. Some of the characters are too cartoonish and a few events don't make a whole lot of sense, but the tone holds everything together. The main characters are portrayed very well, and their friendship comes across as authentic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Woman Who Wasn't There presents a person arguably even more of a crazy piece of poo poo than the guy in The Imposter.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I really enjoyed End Of Watch. Some of the characters are too cartoonish and a few events don't make a whole lot of sense, but the tone holds everything together. The main characters are portrayed very well, and their friendship comes across as authentic.

I too enjoyed End of Watch. The biggest thing for me is that I really enjoyed Anna Kendrick's character in this. Even though it was a minor role, she played it very well. It seemed very natural and fluid to her.

I knew of her beforehand but something about this movie made me really start to dig her as an actress.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I could watch a movie that was just those two guys riding around together bullshitting and giving each other a hard time. They gave a very naturalistic performance in those scenes and really sold that whole aspect of the movie.

OnlyLivingWitness
Dec 23, 2005

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I could watch a movie that was just those two guys riding around together bullshitting and giving each other a hard time. They gave a very naturalistic performance in those scenes and really sold that whole aspect of the movie.

Their chemistry really is the selling point of the movie. That final scene is like a kick in the gut of Old Yeller proportions.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
If you like End of Watch and don't mind reading, I really recommend Joseph Wambaugh's Hollywood Station series. Dude was a patrol officer in the LAPD for thirty years or so and the anecdotes and stories he uses are pulled from serving (at the time) officers. As I mentioned, the tone and style are very similar, I guess about as similar as a novel series can be to a film. Some of the stuff he writes, like some of the stuff that comes through in End of Watch, is just too weird to not be true.

I liked End of Watch right up until the end. I felt it was too obvious, I knew it was gonna end like that even though I was really hoping they'd have the guts to pull off something even more depressing. That said, Gyllenhaal and Pena pull off the relationship very, very well and the whole of the movie had the weight of reality coming through.

I think I liked their patrol sergeant the most. And the super jaded officer. I think it's the focus on the regular Joe patrol officers and not the vice squad or the detective bureau that gives it that gives it the slice-of-life edge it has.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

precision posted:

I was calling for a technical support issue, and I brought it up casually because I was hoping there might be some obvious thing I was missing where I could disable the "recommended rating" or whatever. The guy I was talking to was so hostile and stupid that it just kept escalating, with him taking 5 minutes at a time to tell me "YOU SEE THOSE RED STARS THOSE ARE THE AVERAGE RATING, WE'RE NOT TELLING YOU HOW MUCH YOU'LL LIKE A MOVIE IT'S BASED ON MATH" and me getting a word in edgewise finally and saying "No, I'm talking about the average rating among people who have rated it" and him cutting me off and giving the same rant until I finally interrupted him and said "SUPERVISOR!"

It then took the supervisor another 10 minutes to understand it.

Since all that happened before my technical issue came up, I felt like I had to finish it off instead of just calling back. I guess I'm stubborn.

As someone who worked at Netflix for a little less than a year I guarantee that nobody knew how the ratings system or the recommendation system really works, including supervisors. All that stuff is kinda vaguely glossed over in the training, and we had about as much insight into/control over the process as the customers. People are hired based on customer service experience, anything related to tech support is just read off of an itemized list. Even if you were a little more tech-savvy than your average dumbass they discouraged you from using that knowledge to assist people, lest we raise the bar too high for the next guy. It wasn't a very well managed place, honestly.

That said, I never understand people who are willing to yell at a customer service rep for an hour over something 'on principle' even if you were in the right. You accomplished nothing, and essentially spent an hour making two separate people think you're just some rear end in a top hat.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Hitch posted:

I too enjoyed End of Watch. The biggest thing for me is that I really enjoyed Anna Kendrick's character in this. Even though it was a minor role, she played it very well. It seemed very natural and fluid to her.

I knew of her beforehand but something about this movie made me really start to dig her as an actress.

Definitely come for Anna Kendrick and stay for America Ferrera as a tough-talking lady cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

End of Watch was probably one of the more visceral movies I've seen in recent years, and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys cop movies....or even just good movies in general. Gyllenhaal and Pena are incredibly believable as LAPD officers, and that's probably because they trained with actual LAPD officers while shooting.

• Locked thread