Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lance Streetman posted:

I'm pretty sure this is it. And I loving hate it for that. But they can't all be that bad, right-

GODDAMMIT

Surely, this is a parody of minimalist posters. I refuse to believe otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
It's very possible that all of these crappy minimalist posters come from crappy technical college Illustrator class assignments.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Now I want a Domo-kun movie. :allears:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Wow, that could be about anything.

Like a giant boulder!

Or a different giant boulder!

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

"I creeched louder still, creeching: 'Am I just to be like a box of chocolates?'"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
TRYYYYYYYYY THE WIIIIIIIINE SHRIIIIIIIMP

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Maybe him and Jenny going together "like peas and carrots?"

My god even if that is the explanation that is bad

Hahahahaha, gently caress

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Geekboy posted:

This is almost kind of clever. I don't hate it with a burning passion, just a regular passion.

I don't think it's bad at all. And I honestly don't think that "The Room" poster a few posts back is that bad, either. I just can't get past how tonally wrong that kind of minimalism is for the movies they're depicting.

That "Matrix" one of the battery is still the worst to me, because of just how off it is in every way. The palette's wrong, the content is inconsequential, nothing in the design speaks to the actual film it represents, aesthetically or tonally. And it's so goddamn easy to make a "Matrix" poster - even a hyper minimal one - that does.

Every time new images find this thread, the corpse of Saul Bass manages to cry another tear.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Description from the source:

quote:

Minimalist movie poster for the movie "Forrest Gump".

Ah, now I understand.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

LesterGroans posted:

I don't know, I think this is hilarious.

Why why why would anyone think they should make a different Jaws poster? In what universe does the traditional Jaws poster need any improvement or alternative?
Don't get me wrong, this poster and basically every minimalist fan poster are horrible. But none of these artists are truthfully trying to "improve" or even make "alternatives" to the real poster. It's just fan art. It's 15 year old kids expressing their enjoyment of a film on their Tumblr. It doesn't make it any less lovely, but talking about them in relation to the real poster is kind of off point.

Either way, this thread was a lot better when the ratio of discussion about weaknesses/strengths/trends in real movie posters was higher than the number of "look how bad this minimalist fan poster is" comments.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Other than possibly a silhouette of a barney the dinosaur costume, all the interpretations I can form from this poster are horribly, horribly scatalogical

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Or an asymmetrical Watchmen poster.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
I thought it was a horrid Jurassic Park poster right until I scrolled down to the title.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Don't get me wrong, this poster and basically every minimalist fan poster are horrible. But none of these artists are truthfully trying to "improve" or even make "alternatives" to the real poster. It's just fan art. It's 15 year old kids expressing their enjoyment of a film on their Tumblr. It doesn't make it any less lovely, but talking about them in relation to the real poster is kind of off point.

Either way, this thread was a lot better when the ratio of discussion about weaknesses/strengths/trends in real movie posters was higher than the number of "look how bad this minimalist fan poster is" comments.

Here are a couple of good ones (in my opinion of course) from movies I've watched recently:

Sightseers

Ties in with the story, catches your eye and is humorous so I think it's successful.

Take Shelter

You've seen this poster and this movie I'm sure so you know it's good.

Shotgun Stories

If you haven't watched this, you should remedy that immediately. I loving hate all laurel leaves though and I think they need to stop using them.

Chained

Kinda silly with the scratching effect, but it was a small movie and D'Onofrio is menacing

And an 80s as gently caress one from a movie that was funny when I was 6, Joysticks

It's pretty dumb as a grown man but the poster did it's job when I was young and the internet didn't exist.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
If the text on that Titanic poster were more legible, and they hadn't done the fold-lines I would call it good. As is, it's merely clever but poorly implemented.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Here's the best fan poster

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Fan poster or future Criterion cover?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It's a work of art is what it is.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Wow, that really is the best fan poster. Who drew it?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Animated by Mike Judge?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

I can't hate this. It's impossible for me to hate this.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Wendell posted:

Wow, that really is the best fan poster. Who drew it?

Some guy called Jimmy Giegerich. I found his website through a GIS search of that poster. http://www.jgillustration.com/

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Animated by Mike Judge?

Looks like Superjail! to me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

MikeJF posted:

None of these bother me, but oddly, (Star Trek Into Darkness spoiler) Benedict Cumberbatch playing Khan after Ricardo Montalbán does bother me. I suppose because ostensibly due to the premise of how the new films relate to the old he's a recast of the same Khan Montalbán played rather than a reboot.

Not to dredge this back up, but rumor has it that there were points in the production where Cumberbatch's character was not Khan and the identity of who he was in the script was in flux. Taking this into context, it makes a lot more sense that they cast somebody who didn't fit the evolving character and tried to create the best story they thought they could rather than rejigger things to fit the actor they had cast.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Friends Are Evil posted:

Have some terrible minimalist posters.

My first thought on this one was something about a GPS, and the green dot was Forrest. Like he was running, or something.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ariza posted:

And an 80s as gently caress one from a movie that was funny when I was 6, Joysticks

I'm pretty sure that this is the best of all posters.

quote:

It's pretty dumb as a grown man but the poster did it's job when I was young and the internet didn't exist.

Uhhhh....:stare:

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Set during the 70s, if you can belive that

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Uhhhh....:stare:

We all chose to ignore the implications, man :mad:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Red_Museum posted:

Having never grown up in the 70s all the TV shows and films I've seen from it make me think that it was permanently overcast for the entire decade.

If you want critical thinking, I like that poster. I don't know jack poo poo about the film, but the picture and the title tells me there's a guy in a a leather jacket with blood ties to a guy in a suit, there will be shooting because one man is holding a gun, and it is set in/about a city because there's one right there in the background. The small figures (although not too small to recognise the actors) mean that the city is equally dominating in the picture to tell you its important, and the bridge cuts up a lot of the otherwise empty and boring sky and funnels your vision towards the important characters. The white poster around it is simple, doesn't distract and the red/black/white goes well with the colours of the photograph.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Canned Panda posted:

My first thought on this one was something about a GPS, and the green dot was Forrest. Like he was running, or something.

I've figured it out. It's talking about Forrest's low IQ and intellect.

Don't you see? He's doing the shape test and trying to fit a cylinder into a triangle shaped hole. It's both a commentary on the character of Forrest and how the poster artist sees these minimalist posters.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

wigbone posted:

I've figured it out. It's talking about Forrest's low IQ and intellect.

Don't you see? He's doing the shape test and trying to fit a cylinder into a triangle shaped hole. It's both a commentary on the character of Forrest and how the poster artist sees these minimalist posters.

Plus the cylinder fits into the hole so it's a metaphor for how different people can still find a life in a society that doesn't accept them.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Hey, I guess that poster is actually pretty drat good! :haw:

It's very layered.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Red_Museum posted:

I haven't seen Crudup or Clive Owen in a while so this looks like a treat.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Red_Museum posted:

If it wasn't brought to my attention that Clive Owen was in this, I would've thought this was actually a movie from the 70s. That's a pretty authentic poster.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Red_Museum posted:

Whatever the hell this is, I wanna see it now.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The trailer, with that music, makes me want to see it all that much more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONz6R4LF5nY

It's refreshing to see a total throwback to 70's era, working class "cool" that isn't a Tarantino wankfest. And this is coming from somebody who's loved every Tarantino movie he's ever seen.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Red_Museum posted:

That's a very good poster to be sure, but I don't think it's minimalist enough to be a great poster.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Tewratomeh posted:

It's refreshing to see a total throwback to 70's era, working class "cool" that isn't a Tarantino wankfest. And this is coming from somebody who's loved every Tarantino movie he's ever seen.

It's like you're reading my mind.

The combination of that poster and trailer has me completely sold.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That's a very good poster to be sure, but I don't think it's minimalist enough to be a great poster.

Yeah, there's too much going on, it should just be a drop of blood and a bunch of neckties on a folded paper background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Tewratomeh posted:

Tarantino is more about paying homage to the 70s instead of making movies based in the 70s.

Crudup looks like a grown up Russel Hammond :allears:

Looks like it could be fun!