Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Listen to every ep of Call Chelsea Peretti if you like funny things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
The Skeptic tank with Ralphie May about being fat is great, it's a two parter I think.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

You could also check out Pointless. It's Kevin Pereira & Redban + a guest or two every week. Kevin actually knows how to interview, but they smoke too much weed and poo poo gets weird pretty quickly. I'd recommend checking it out, but it shares a lot of the same problems as JRE.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker
Pointless and the Monday Morning Podcast (Burr) are my two favourites, which is interesting in that those are two people who I consider to always be switched "on", i.e, always trying to perform and be funny and never kicking back and going with the flow.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

AUTOTUNED TOILET posted:

Listen to every ep of Call Chelsea Peretti if you like funny things.

She's great, I've only heard a few episodes but I really enjoyed them.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

ZeroDays posted:

I tried the Skeptic Tank (Ari Shaffir) but Ari's such an exceptionally bad interviewer that I can't stomach it.

His latest podcast with Jimmy Dore was really good.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Please let me know when Rogan stops saying the phrase "gender traitor" so I can start listening again. When he says it I get douche chills.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Is it just me or has the podcast kind of sunk in entertainment quality over the past 6 months? I haven't heard the last 2 or 3, but lately it seems like only 1 out of 5 will be good, depending on the guests.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

ChocNitty posted:

Is it just me or has the podcast kind of sunk in entertainment quality over the past 6 months? I haven't heard the last 2 or 3, but lately it seems like only 1 out of 5 will be good, depending on the guests.

yeah, I think the only really decent recent one is Bert's

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

ChocNitty posted:

I just started listening over the last few weeks and I find it very entertaining, so it could be overexposure. I'm also not offended by everything and find NPR cloying so I'm not like most people on this site so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Joe's a nut but he's passionate and believes in monsters which is pretty rare in popular media these days.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker

Ariza posted:

I just started listening over the last few weeks and I find it very entertaining, so it could be overexposure. I'm also not offended by everything and find NPR cloying so I'm not like most people on this site so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Joe's a nut but he's passionate and believes in monsters which is pretty rare in popular media these days.

It's definitely overexposure. I used to think people in this thread complained about nothing, until I became one of them. That said, the Squirt Bert episode was great, even with 100s of hours under my belt.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Whatever happened to the Ice House Chronicles? That always had a massive group of comedians and Doug Benson, which was almost always a good time.

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 21, 2013

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I don't think I'll ever stop enjoying listening to Joe talk about various animals that he's terrified of. But he won't just say "I'm afraid of ___", it's always "you don't get it, man! ____ is a MONSTER!"

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I dunno if something's wrong on my end but I haven't seen anything new on deathsquad in more than a month.

Also I noticed Joe's latest guests have been Dan, Dan and Dom.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

ZeroDays posted:

It's definitely overexposure. I used to think people in this thread complained about nothing, until I became one of them. That said, the Squirt Bert episode was great, even with 100s of hours under my belt.

Yeah I hit that point with Carolla a long time ago and I've been listening to him since Loveline was on while I delivered pizzas. I liked his radio show most of the time but gave up on his podcast pretty quick. I have never enjoyed any of Rogan's standup and I started listening to it in high school when I was young enough to like it. I think I really do just enjoy listening to a grown, somewhat intelligent man who intensely believes in poo poo most people grow out of with puberty. He seems like he'd be a blast to hang out with.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Eddie Ifft isn't funny :ssh:

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Joe's bodyguard now has his own podcast, apparently.

So I just found out there's a spa by my office that has isolation tanks leased in 2 hour sessions. Going for the first time tomorrow.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Edible first? GO IN STONED TO THE GILLS, BRO.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

AUTOTUNED TOILET posted:

Edible first? GO IN STONED TO THE GILLS, BRO.

I feel like the first time you should go in sober to determine how much of what you're feeling is the tank

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

toggle posted:

I don't mind him on "his" podcast, but I only listen to the old episodes that Jim Jefferies is still on, so I guess that says something about how much I like Eddie.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Is everyone else as unsurprised as I am that for all Rogan's supplement and nootropic talk he doesn't even know that "µg" means microgram? On the previous podcast with Asprey and Fletcher he kept referring to it as "a little thing that looks like a u g", which wasn't half as infuriating as his utter fecklessness in allowing Asprey to parrot that nonsensical anti-GMO/Monsanto conspiracy/primitivist bullshit. Even someone as bong-addled as Joe should see the cognitive dissonance in Asprey talking about how "big pharma" is terrible and "natural" treatments are a panacea while he's so wound up on roids and modafiniil that he only sleeps 4 hours a night.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Is it just me or has Joe gotten a bit better on the subject of climate change recently? He hasn't seemed as denialist about it the last couple of times it's come up since his most recent discussion with Shane Smith.

On the other hand, if the hypothetical solution to climate change ended up being "everyone has to replace their muscle cars with eletric vehicles", I imagine he will still wig the gently caress out about it.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

toggle posted:

He's the worst. I'm pretty sure I heard him compare himself to Patrice O'neal at one point in that episode. Nobody would even know who he was if he'd never been repeatedly out-shined by Jim Jefferies on a (now god-awful) podcast.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
I'm just loving all of the Eddie Ifft stories that he won't finish or refuses to give important details for because of reasons that he refuses to give.

Tim Selaty Jr fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 3, 2013

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

And whenever he bombs it's the crowd's fault.

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
Ifft is a lousy comedian, but at least he's not one of those guests that has a book out

diesiel
Aug 11, 2012
Was it that bad? Forgive my ignorance but i don't tune in to hear cans talk about their uninteresting lives.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

diesiel posted:

Was it that bad? Forgive my ignorance but i don't tune in to hear cans talk about their uninteresting lives.

It wasn't that bad but it also wasn't that good either.

diesiel
Aug 11, 2012

-Atom- posted:

It wasn't that bad but it also wasn't that good either.

An apt tagline for the JRE.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
The Joe Rogan Experience: Skip this one... and that one... and that one... ooh Bert Kreischer/Joey Diaz

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Man, just imagine living in the world Joe considers ideal. Muscle cars & MMA gyms everywhere, beautiful girls with not-too-strong opinions are abundant. There's little drug control and everyone agrees that you just can't be 'cuntish'.

It sounds amazing on paper, but it's really endearing how removed he is from a normal person.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

mcvey posted:

The Joe Rogan Experience: Skip this one... and that one... and that one... ooh Bert Kreischer/Joey Diaz

I usually don't skip many of his podcasts since I go through them pretty quickly while listening at work, but I make an exception for Dave Asprey and whoever the bullet-proof coffee guy is. If the 2 hour long infomercials for products of dubious effectiveness weren't enough to make me want to hurl my ipod off a cliff, the healthy dose of Internet Libertarianism they come with pushes me right over the edge.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I usually don't skip many of his podcasts since I go through them pretty quickly while listening at work, but I make an exception for Dave Asprey and whoever the bullet-proof coffee guy is. If the 2 hour long infomercials for products of dubious effectiveness weren't enough to make me want to hurl my ipod off a cliff, the healthy dose of Internet Libertarianism they come with pushes me right over the edge.

Has anyone tried butter coffee yet? Who the gently caress thought to mix butter with coffee? Unsurprisingly, the mycotoxin nonsense is based on a misunderstanding of a scientific article. I do want to taste it but it's too expensive for a laugh.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Ariza posted:

Has anyone tried butter coffee yet? Who the gently caress thought to mix butter with coffee? Unsurprisingly, the mycotoxin nonsense is based on a misunderstanding of a scientific article. I do want to taste it but it's too expensive for a laugh.
I remember seeing a blog where someone tried it (I don't think they were a JRE listener, just someone who stumbled upon the guy's coffee) and he said it tasted like poo poo and would never drink it again.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

but I make an exception for Dave Asprey and whoever the bullet-proof coffee guy is.

I believe that would be Dave Asprey

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
So on the Tom Rhodes podcast (which was great, love Tom) Joe didn't know what an actual acronym was and I laughed and laughed.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe he only took 2 alpha brains instead of 12 before the podcast :downsrim:

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I believe that would be Dave Asprey

Whoops, I think I meant Dave Asprey and whoever the Onnit guy is.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Whoops, I think I meant Dave Asprey and whoever the Onnit guy is.

Aubrey Marcus, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
Aubrey can be fun because he has good hallucinogen stories, at least.

I haven't tried butter in coffee before but MCT or coconut oil in coffee tastes tropical as heck