Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Absolutely no one calls Sixth Avenue the loving "Avenue of the Americas," I don't care what the street signs say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Every time I've ever set foot in NYC, I've barely left Midtown and I walked everywhere.

Your move, Peter King.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.

quote:

Avenue of the Americas (you might know it as Sixth Avenue)

:smug:

I used to enjoy King's stuff. It was lite, fluff but he became really self-absorbed right around the time he got on SNF.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I was late for work today. heres a story about it

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I've only been to New York once, when I was 11, and even then I knew that walking was the only you could reliably get around Manhattan. If you're calling 6th Avenue "Avenue Of The Americas", then get the gently caress out of New York.

Also people don't want your fatass taking up sidewalk space. Take the goddamn cabs or shut up.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Add "cities have traffic" to the list of things that inexplicably befuddle Peter King.

It joins such other entries as "coffee-flavored water," "Amtrak quiet cars" and "grammar."

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Rap posted:

I was late for work today. heres a story about it

Oh, like you can walk anywhere in any other loving city.

Ignore the jealous rabble PK, I want to hear tales of these magical places where many people live and walk together. Your stories bring light to my dreary non-New York existence.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Its like hes trying to fart in our faces using words.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

midwat posted:

It joins such other entries as "coffee-flavored water," "Amtrak quiet cars" and "grammar."

...I think I might be Peter King.

Help

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Sash! posted:

Help

Have you ever shattered an eight year old's dream by narcing on him at a baseball game and stealing a foul ball?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Rogue Elephant posted:

Have you ever shattered an eight year old's dream by narcing on him at a baseball game and stealing a foul ball?

You're asking Sash that?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Sash! posted:

Help

You at least have the common decency to not command a salary for it

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Declan MacManus posted:

You at least have the common decency to not command a salary for it

Or set up your own grantland knock off site coming this summer.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
http://randompixels.blogspot.com/2013/05/miami-herald-sportswriter-armando.html

L.
O.
L.

Holy gently caress. That second email is nice. Although, this little unprovoked gem from this guy is pretty loving outrageous too

quote:

You are so foolish and easily swayed by the powerful that it is no surprise that your family has a past history of conforming to those who desire to control the masses.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 28, 2013

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

AAA DOLFAN posted:

L.
O.
L.

Holy gently caress. That second email is nice. Although, this little unprovoked gem from this guy is pretty loving outrageous too

To steal an old joke from David Letterman:

In a televised contest pitting Armando Salguero and Billy Johnston in a fight to the death with pool cues, who would win?
a) Salguero
b) Johnston
c) The viewing public

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

L.
O.
L.

quote:

Your mentioning the fact of your parents flight, bringing you to my country...

:freep:

This'll play out nicely.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

quote:

but It's strange that people who do all this admirable and heroic fighting for personal freedoms, then take flight, leaving other friends and family behind to suffer under the fascist oppression left behind.

Some real gems in this fight

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

L.
O.
L.

You didn't quote the best one in it though.

quote:

Hey Billie, you must be still pissed off you lost in Vietnam. Talk about leaving people behind ... I'm sure the South Vietnamese appreciated you sucking as a soldier, failing in your mission and then leaving.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

And they say letter writing is a lost art.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Three Cubans in the Senate just seems unlikely at best!

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

L.
O.
L.

:stare: The idiocy arms race between Omar and Armando for the right to be called the shittiest person covering the Miami Dolphins has heated up.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Armando hasn't tweeted since the 25th. I guess he's laying low.

I think I'll become a Dolphins beat writer.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
You already have a job. Back off. I'll take it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

You already have a job. Back off. I'll take it.

it's not my fault you went to fake school :colbert:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Ehud posted:

I can't wait til Crazy ends up like Jeff Winger from Community and has to go to MDC with a bunch of weird kids.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ehud posted:

At this rate I might just say gently caress it to Florida and go back up to Toronto. I at least can continue working up there! Holy hell is this state saturated.

swickles posted:

I can't wait til Crazy ends up like Jeff Winger from Community and has to go to MDC with a bunch of weird kids.

I wish I had his charm

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Scratch my earlier idea to start up a website to catalogue and call out lovely sports journalism and change it to writing inflammatory emails to lovely sports journalists to try and bait them into some sort of reply that will get them fired if it were to unfortunately be made pubic

midwat
May 6, 2007

nrr posted:

Scratch my earlier idea to start up a website to catalogue and call out lovely sports journalism and change it to writing inflammatory emails to lovely sports journalists to try and bait them into some sort of reply that will get them fired if it were to unfortunately be made pubic

Dear Peter King,

Coffee is overrated.

Sincerely,

A disabled veteran who is also a terminally ill child

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I was at that game, Peter. I saw that foul ball. I watched you grab the wrong one. For a price, I can give you the name and address of that little boy...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Dear Bob Costas,

I love dancing and going to the firing range with my father.

Sincerely,
A Young Black Male

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Just to depart from the chit chat, due to being a huge panthers homer I'm kind of noticing a trend on NFL.com

They're trying to paint Cam Newton as a player who played badly last year in spite of his good performance. I just watched this: http://www.nfl.com/videos/carolina-panthers/0ap2000000207479/Gerald-McCoy-Champ-Bailey-Cameron-Jordan

I've watched most of the others and can't remember one when half the time they spend poo poo talking the player rather than talking them up. Then there was the article talking about how the Panthers are going no where with Newton and the top whatever the gently caress list under 25 for QBs where it almost completely ignores that he's had the best first two years of any QB ever.

Fair enough call it accurately he still needs to mature a bit and he needs to work on some areas, but gently caress if you followed NFLs narrative it paints a very different picture than reality.

Nately
Oct 1, 2002

The age demanded an image / Of its accelerated grimace
Sports writers have to cover these guys but they also get a little starstruck, so you may notice that when a player (like Cam Newton) is abrupt or rude with them, they react with the fury of a teenager turned down by her crush. I think Cam gets a hard time because he doesn't seem to humour these guys and it drives them nuts.

My favourite example of this is Bruce Garrioch, a hockey writer (use the term loosely) for the Ottawa Sun. He's been waging war on a player who doesn't even play for the Senators anymore. Here's a few of his tweets about Brian Elliot:

quote:

"Hope they don't have bad bounces or slippery ice in St. Louis or Brian Elliott won't be in the NHL. #sens" - 2 July via web

"At this rate the only guy left for Ottawa will be Brian "its not my fault" elliott." -1 July via web

"My friend @Syl_St_Laurent suggest the Senators bring in Mathieu Garon. How about bringing back Brian "It's not my fault" Elliott." - 1 Jul via web

There's much more if you go to the full post on this. A Sens blogger traced the whole thing back to this incident:

quote:

As far as I can tell, Garrioch's grudge stems from a post-game interview after the Senators, with Elliott in net, were shellacked by the Philadelphia Flyers. In a post-game interview, Garrioch tried to get Elliott to comment on the game. Instead of asking a question, though, he just said something like, "Tough game out there." To which Elliott replied something to the effect of, "Is there a question there?"

That's it! He's been waging a jihad on a back-up goalie because of that. It's so ridiculously petty that it's almost beautiful.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
It blows my mind when people are so mind numbingly unprofessional that they cannot stop bias from entering their stuff.

Ive mentioned it multiple times but Evan Silva is awful about it. He had this weird strange obsession with Jeff Ireland and slams him out of nowhere constantly. Id love to know what Ireland did.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
To give a specific example of what he dislikes Ireland for, I think he has issue with what Ireland managed to put together player-wise with the draft picks from trading Marshall and Davis, as opposed to keeping those players. Keep in mind I'm not making that argument personally.

E: woa I meant to add that not delete my first post entirely, oops.

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 31, 2013

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

It blows my mind when people are so mind numbingly unprofessional that they cannot stop bias from entering their stuff.

Ive mentioned it multiple times but Evan Silva is awful about it. He had this weird strange obsession with Jeff Ireland and slams him out of nowhere constantly. Id love to know what Ireland did.

Silva also dumps on the Jets pretty regularly as well. Ireland gets the worst of if though, I agree.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Dirt Worshipper posted:

To give a specific example of what he dislikes Ireland for, I think he has issue with what Ireland managed to put together player-wise with the draft picks from trading Marshall and Davis, as opposed to keeping those players. Keep in mind I'm not making that argument personally.

E: woa I meant to add that not delete my first post entirely, oops.

Silva has been doing it since 2010, before either of those things happened though. Ireland HAD to have done something behind closed doors. Or maybe Silva is just a big huge baby, I have no clue.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

But Jeff Ireland is awful.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Does Silva write the Player News briefs on Rotoworld, the ones that get quoted here all the time? Whoever writes those is usually fair, then out of nowhere will slam a player, exec or organization with no basis at all. poo poo like ending an injury update post with "not that it will help the Cardinals' pathetic defense" or whatever.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Rasczak posted:

But Jeff Ireland is awful.

Because...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Ehud posted:

Because...?

Dez Bryant

Cowboys castoff obsession (hello Marc Columbo)

Left Cowboys front office for a "promotion"

E: lol Jim Harbaugh

Mediocre at best at drafting

Probably somehow responsible for Brandon Marshall going crazy

Rasczak fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 31, 2013

• Locked thread