Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

crazyfish posted:

Side note from Belgiumchat: Chicagoans: Galactic Double Daisy Cutter bottles at Half Acre released tomorrow at noon. Haven't heard anything about a price or limit.

Thanks for the heads up. Is this something ill have a problem getting later in the week or will I be fine waiting a few days?

What It Dooski fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

etcetera08 posted:

I haven't had any issues with the two bottles of Jester King I've gotten in the last few months. They were Wytchmaker and Le Petit Prince. Both tasted fine.

They've been doing those beers since the early inception of the brewery and for the most part, have been ok as far as overcarbness. I've had one bottle of Wytchmaker gush on me. Mostly seen it with recent releases hence the "24 hours in the fridge" instructions. Specifically: RU55, Mad Meg, Funk Metal, Salt Lick, the latest release of Commercial Suicide - and they even had past problems with this beer!

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
Just went to a low key distributors event at the Illinois governor's mansion. It was a lot of local distilleries, and a few decent breweries from Illinois. Half Acre, Two Brothers, Rolling Meadows, and Destihl all had tables there with several beers to sample. I drank one of everything, plus a bunch of moonshine and some white rye whiskey. Highlight of the night was Daisy Cutter. I stole two cans of it to take home for later. Don't judge me.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Stolen beer from a tasting event chat? I'm in.
Went to a Founder's tasting and they limited it to 1 12 oz. bottle of their Imperial Stout and 1 bottle of Backwoods Bastard. I left with 4 of each. $20 cover made up for it, is what I tell myself. (I'm a horrible person).
I also justify it because who the hell sells singles at double the per bottle cost at a single bottle limit at a small exclusive tasting? There were under 100 people there. (I'm still horrible)

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

MalleusDei posted:

How hard do I need to try to get to St. Sixtus, if I'm in Bruges? I wasn't planning on renting a car, but...

Rent a car because you won't find it in stores, you might find it for sale bootleg-ish at some bars but pay an exorbitant price. There are so many many many awesome places to drive around Brugge and its so beautiful of a drive its totally worth it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

MalleusDei posted:

How hard do I need to try to get to St. Sixtus, if I'm in Bruges? I wasn't planning on renting a car, but...

If you're close enough, stop at Cantillon and pick up as many bottles of 50N 4E as they're willing to sell you. Also trade me it.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
if any of you OH goons come across an extra four-pack of BA Siberian Night, gimme a shout- i really like the original, but haven't seen it in a while and have a feeling this one won't be making it out my way.

VVV- yeah, realized you'd be the one to ask right after i posted. thanks!

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 21, 2013

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

funkybottoms posted:

if any of you OH goons come across an extra four-pack of BA Siberian Night, gimme a shout- i really like the original, but haven't seen it in a while and have a feeling this one won't be making it out my way.

I'll keep an eye out. Thirsty Dog flys under my radar and it's always on the shelves, it shouldn't be too difficult to get.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Does anyone know what hops go into Mikkeller's American Dream? It has the most amazing hoppy nose that works beautifully in a crisp beer (it is a pale lager after all), but I'll be damned if I can place all the aromas/flavors.

This is mostly because I want to brew it myself in some way or another.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Happy Saison Brett day, everybody!

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I thought there might be some interest in this:
http://bizlex.com/2013/05/west-sixth-brewery-sued-by-magic-hat-for-trade-mark-infringement/

The parent company of Magic Hat is suing a microbrewery in Lexington,KY, where I live, because their logo is too similar to Magic Hat #9. The only resemblance I really see is that they are both circular but I learned that Magic Hat has made similar moves earlier.

I enjoyed Magic Hat #9 from time to time, but I'm not really a huge fan of West Sixth. Everything they do is pretty mediocre (they target a lot of people who have never really had a microbrew befor) although I did have an imperial stout once from W6 that I really liked. I do have to give props to W6 for being really involved in the community and giving a lot back to charity. It seems like a pretty stupid and greedy move and I hope W6 does not have to face a long legal battle. They may not make the best beer ever but they are a good local business.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

funkybottoms posted:

VVV- yeah, realized you'd be the one to ask right after i posted. thanks!

Was there an announcement I missed recently regarding this? I live in Akron, and BA Siberian has always been tap-only.

Edit: Found the article about it being released in four packs. I can't believe I didn't hear about this til now - guess I'm gonna have to stop by the brewery soon.

Kudosx fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 21, 2013

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

space pope posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I thought there might be some interest in this:
http://bizlex.com/2013/05/west-sixth-brewery-sued-by-magic-hat-for-trade-mark-infringement/

The parent company of Magic Hat is suing a microbrewery in Lexington,KY, where I live, because their logo is too similar to Magic Hat #9. The only resemblance I really see is that they are both circular but I learned that Magic Hat has made similar moves earlier.

I enjoyed Magic Hat #9 from time to time, but I'm not really a huge fan of West Sixth. Everything they do is pretty mediocre (they target a lot of people who have never really had a microbrew befor) although I did have an imperial stout once from W6 that I really liked. I do have to give props to W6 for being really involved in the community and giving a lot back to charity. It seems like a pretty stupid and greedy move and I hope W6 does not have to face a long legal battle. They may not make the best beer ever but they are a good local business.

I got some super fresh cans of their IPA last time I was in Louisville and I thought that stuff was tasty. Certainly not mind-blowlingly new, but a very good IPA in market with not a lot of local options. I'm not going to say I'm surprised by Magic Hat's move, so I'll just keep going on normally, which is to say, continue not buying Magic Hat because their beer sucks.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
New Glarus's 20th Anniversary Ale might be a tough one to get your hands on, even if you're in Wisconsin. Their Facebook page says it's a 'very limited release,' only selling 2 bottles per person, which my local store was mirroring.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Coco13 posted:

New Glarus's 20th Anniversary Ale might be a tough one to get your hands on, even if you're in Wisconsin. Their Facebook page says it's a 'very limited release,' only selling 2 bottles per person, which my local store was mirroring.

It's an american strong ale - but is there anything special about it? It says 'alive', does that mean it's going to be sour, or just that it's bottle conditioned?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
If any Chicago-goons are going to HA for the bottle release today, they just posted that their taproom will have a version of Big Hugs aged in "quinoa whiskey barrels." I didn't know such a thing existed...

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

danbanana posted:

If any Chicago-goons are going to HA for the bottle release today, they just posted that their taproom will have a version of Big Hugs aged in "quinoa whiskey barrels." I didn't know such a thing existed...

Forget the barrels, I just want quinoa whiskey. What would that even taste like I wonder...

e: http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Corsair_Quinoa_Whiskey_49303.html $50 for a 750ml.

http://www.corsairartisan.com/quinoa_whiskey.html

God I am so curious now.

Eejit fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 21, 2013

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Eejit posted:

Forget the barrels, I just want quinoa whiskey. What would that even taste like I wonder...

My sentence wasn't parsed right but yes, I meant that I didn't know quinoa whiskey existed.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Oh man I wanna make a purchase from belgiuminabox but I don't know what to get, I've never lived anywhere with really good Belgian distribution :cry:

I know I wanna get a thing or two from Cantillon, but (assuming I don't have any dislikes in beer styles) what else should I spring for that would otherwise be difficult in the western US?

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Was about to leave my local bottle shop when I spotted about 8 Boulevard Love Child #3's sitting on a bottom shelf. Snagged two, trying to decide if I want to go back for some more. I know I've heard great things about it in here.

Did not expect to see any of it in distro here given that we only started getting Boulevard stuff like 6 months ago.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Colorado goons - anyone pick up Avery Twenty yet? Didn't realize it was already this time of the year! Very glad to hear that Uncle Jacob's is coming out again. I drank a whole bottle of it alone during a weeknight last year. As fun as that was, it also wasn't the smartest idea :downs:

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

It is a beautiful thing.

Belgium order just arrived today. Rose de Gambinus 2013, Gueuze 2012, Kriek 2013, Armand'4 season set, Armand'Spirit (distilled from the "ruined" batch of 3F lambic). Not pictured is the broken La Vermontoise that didn't survive the journey, however they were perfectly happy to deliver me a leaking, falling apart box inside a plastic bag.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

air- posted:

I drank a whole bottle of it alone during a weeknight last year. As fun as that was, it also wasn't the smartest idea :downs:

:allears: Haha, good lord. I split a 4oz snifter with my wife and, while it was delicious, that was all I wanted. That is a big, big beer.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
^^^ crazyfish, you're a lucky bastard that you still got the box

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Oh man I wanna make a purchase from belgiuminabox but I don't know what to get, I've never lived anywhere with really good Belgian distribution :cry:

I know I wanna get a thing or two from Cantillon, but (assuming I don't have any dislikes in beer styles) what else should I spring for that would otherwise be difficult in the western US?

i'm not seeing too much hotness beyond the usual suspects- 3 Fonteinen and Cantillon. the de Cam i've had has been good, but nothing i'd take over Cantillon. except for the Oud Beersel Bzart (whose ratings don't seem to justify the price) and a couple of the faro beers, i've seen most of this stuff on shelves at some point, leading me to believe that, if you wanted to, you could easily trade for a lot of it or order it stateside.

oh, and there's Fantome. some people love his beer, but i've not been impressed by the ones i've had and there are massive problems with quality control and "batch consistency" is apparently not part of Dany's vocabulary, so caveat emptor and all that.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 21, 2013

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

As funkybottoms mentioned, Faro beers outside of Lindemans are incredibly hard to find in the US, though I personally say "good riddance." I loathe and detest the style (even Cantillon's), though my palate is not your palate and you may feel differently.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Capones in chicago has a sick haul today. Picked up 2013 parabola, Love child 3, bcbs cherry rye and le petit mort. There goes my beer budget!

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Holy poo poo! That is insane. Stinkin suburbs!

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Can you explain what "I've never lived anywhere with really good Belgian distribution" means? Is that "We get all the big stuff but I can't find the smaller breweries" or is it more like "Not so much as a single sip of Chimay, Duvel or Orval has passed my lips."

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Can you explain what "I've never lived anywhere with really good Belgian distribution" means? Is that "We get all the big stuff but I can't find the smaller breweries" or is it more like "Not so much as a single sip of Chimay, Duvel or Orval has passed my lips."

The former. West of the Mississippi you don't see the smaller breweries much.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I am cleaning out my refrigerator and have found 5 Natural Ice from Easter from a relative in there. Before I pour all of these down the drain, is there anything I could do with these that would make them useful? I plan to save one to review because of :OCD: but that leaves 4 that no one I know will even touch.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Midorka posted:

I am cleaning out my refrigerator and have found 5 Natural Ice from Easter from a relative in there. Before I pour all of these down the drain, is there anything I could do with these that would make them useful? I plan to save one to review because of :OCD: but that leaves 4 that no one I know will even touch.

Do you have any bourbon or quinoa whiskey barrels lying around?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Midorka posted:

You could do that thing where the guy dry hopped Bud Lite to see how different hops behave.

...but seriously, it's loving Natty Ice. Give it to someone you dislike or use it for target practice.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Drink them

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 22, 2013

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

CHUG IT YOU PUSSY

THEN CRUSH THE CANS ON YOUR FUCKIN FOREHEAD LIKE A MAN

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
My first sour beer, Lindeman's Peche Lambic. I paid $5.99 for this 12 oz bottle. It's pretty good, just really low abv (2.5).

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Anderron Shi posted:

My first sour beer, Lindeman's Peche Lambic. I paid $5.99 for this 12 oz bottle. It's pretty good, just really low abv (2.5).

It's very, very much sweetened compared to most sours you'll ever hear about or see. Lindeman's Gueuze, on the other hand, is more of a sour sour.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

The former. West of the Mississippi you don't see the smaller breweries much.

The best thing to do is to set up a trade with someone on the east coast. Around here they're everywhere. So much so that I rarely stop to even look at them unless I decide that I need to try Oerbier again or something. Put up a list of some stuff that you'd be interested in trying and we can probably find it for you.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Docjowles posted:

...but seriously, it's loving Natty Ice. Give it to someone you dislike or use it for target practice.

Eejit posted:

CHUG IT YOU PUSSY

THEN CRUSH THE CANS ON YOUR FUCKIN FOREHEAD LIKE A MAN

I know some people who are into craft but regularly participate in "shotgun friday" (it's exactly what it sounds like, plus of course actual shotgunning of beers) :911:

While I get that it's for fun, fratty behavior was a big part of what turned me away from macro stuff. I never touched it while in college and got more interested in craft to begin with. I dunno, the whole thing seems odd to try and bring that into craft beer, but I guess that also ties into how people "appreciate" the beer in different ways.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

You can't discount the ironic factor of anything involved with drinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Are we really going to seriouspost about Natty Ice