Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
the worst goddamn programmers are the ones who poo poo all over other developer's worth because that developer once made a bug that was probably leftover code from an old change or something. people make bugs all the time and u probably make the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
you mean, changes to code can make code ugly and sometimes introduce new bugs?? can we get a mod in here??????

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

AWWNAW posted:

can any of yout errible programmers tell me why needful never gets done

because types are stupid, and this language's == operator is broken

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Tiny Bug Child posted:

because types are stupid, and this language's == operator is broken

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Avoid Symmetry, Allow
Complexity, Introduce Terror

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

the worst programmers are the programmers that make mistakes and then don't try to understand why the mistake happened. they don't understand what they hell they are typing and when confronted with a problem encrust it with more things they think they understand until the beatings stop.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
that is every programmer

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
The worst programmers are the ones who can't/won't read compiler error messages, and instead immediately jump on [whatever programmer forum/site] and ask people how to fix it. Especially when they just paraphrase the error message instead of posting it and the offending code. Especially especially when they're using clang.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Doc Block posted:

The worst programmers are the ones who can't/won't read compiler error messages, and instead immediately jump on [whatever programmer forum/site] and ask people how to fix it. Especially when they just paraphrase the error message instead of posting it and the offending code. Especially especially when they're using clang.

sometimes you just really need to discover yet a new reason for "segmentation fault"

or whatever that really cryptic mingw error was that i used to get that really just meant 'something somewhere is wrong'

i guess what i'm saying is gently caress c

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

Bloody posted:

gently caress c

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
"introduce terror" or like "introduce t'error" like 'the error' all accented or cadenced or w/e

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
That's really an easy mistake to make. If you showed it to him he'd probably see the error immediately.

I mean if he really doesn't understand why it's wrong, then he's a bad program. Looks like he's just human tho

Woops I thought I was replying to a post that was just made. It's back a page. Can you guess which one?

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

"introduce terror" or like "introduce t'error" like 'the error' all accented or cadenced or w/e

'the' error is php

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Bloody posted:

gently caress c

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

the worst goddamn programmers are the ones who poo poo all over other developer's worth because that developer once made a bug that was probably leftover code from an old change or something. people make bugs all the time and u probably make the worst.

terrible programmer apologist spotted

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

all languages are terrible, much like real life ones

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

poo poo i guess i might add the guy spent a week "testing" that "code" but i guess my standards are too high

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

test on production

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

gucci void main posted:

test on production

irl this is just shortened to "production"

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

AWWNAW posted:

how about a true life terrible programmer story

found a painful bug in production yesterday written by a "senior developer" coworker

code:
object integerValue = datagridrow[hardcodednumber].value;
object oldIntegerValue = datagridrow[anotherhardcodednumber].value;
if (integerValue == oldIntegerValue)
{
    DoNeedful();
}
can any of yout errible programmers tell me why needful never gets done

i hope this post makes you a better program

shalom

you are talking about this right. Anyway idk what language or whatnot that is but my guess as to why DoNeedful wasn't executed would be that datagridrow[hardcodednumber].value does not == datagridrow[anotherhardcodednumber].value

that seems pretty straightforward. I'm not sure if im missing some typo or secret or something.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
I thought it was because the if statement was comparing two objects for equality which doesn't make any sense.

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

Ronald Raiden posted:

you are talking about this right. Anyway idk what language or whatnot that is but my guess as to why DoNeedful wasn't executed would be that datagridrow[hardcodednumber].value does not == datagridrow[anotherhardcodednumber].value

that seems pretty straightforward. I'm not sure if im missing some typo or secret or something.

lol

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

Papes posted:

I thought it was because the if statement was comparing two objects for equality which doesn't make any sense.

i believe that u can do this in javascript

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

CamH posted:

i believe that u can do this in javascript

hell yeah

>var test = { test : "test" }
undefined
>var otherTest = test
undefined
>test == otherTest
true

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

object a = 1;
object b = 1;
a == b //false

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

this is how it works in steve baller's java or some call it C-Sharp

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Ronald Raiden posted:

finally some terrible programmers in this thread

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

y'all just got trolled

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Papes posted:

It depends on the language. Most modern high level languages have sane object equality comparison, which would allow 2 different objects with thesame value tobe equal. Generally, in languages that allow that, the notion of identity comparison, which is what you are referring to, is different. (for instance, 'is' in python)

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
Java has that too only it does it backwards. The less common usecase, identity comparison, is the operator '==', while the more useful one is the object method object.equals. Also java generics suck.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

gucci void main posted:

all languages are terrible, much like real life ones

idk if you got lucky with this statement or what but it kinda implies that ur not a terrible programmer anymore

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
There's no terrible languages. Only terrible people like everyone in this thread.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

CamH posted:

hell yeah

>var test = { test : "test" }
undefined
>var otherTest = test
undefined
>test == otherTest
true

yes but you're comparing two references to the same object there. since test and otherTest are equal in the sense that they refer to the same object, the equality holds.

JavaScript code:
var test = { test: 'test' },
    otherTest = { test: 'test' };

test == otherTest; // false
_.isEqual(test, otherTest); // true, [url]http://lodash.com/docs#isEqual[/url]

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

MeruFM posted:

There's no terrible languages. Only terrible people like everyone in this thread.

no, they're all loving terrible and much of the communities are especially terrible. it varies greatly but the only redeeming thing about the profession is the money as long as you can tolerate insufferable nerds with autism

I'm not familiar with the java/.net communities, but I'm going to assume that the normalcy of a community is inversely proportional to how far it's trying to get away from corporate culture

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

gucci void main posted:

no, they're all loving terrible and much of the communities are especially terrible. it varies greatly but the only redeeming thing about the profession is the money as long as you can tolerate insufferable nerds with autism

I'm not familiar with the java/.net communities, but I'm going to assume that the normalcy of a community is inversely proportional to how far it's trying to get away from corporate culture

in my (limited) experience, the perl community is pretty sensible :shrug:

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

prefect posted:

probably because its a bunch of old dudes from the 80s who just truly loved the profession. they're just nerds and not toy language startup zealots

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

prefect posted:

if you love regular expressions, have i got a language for you

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

chumpchous posted:

if you love regular expressions, have i got a language for you

i do like regular expressions, and get a bit depressed when people reflexively act like they're wizard magic :smith:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
wizard magic, yes, that's my problem with regular expressions

(tbqh i don't really know a better way to parse lots of text, i guess my solution to regular expressions is to get a job that doesn't involve parsing a lot of text).

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

regex suck because they are completely unreadable and unless you have decades of autism are also completely unwriteable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the reason regex are so popular in perl is because regex syntax is actually much better than perl syntax

• Locked thread