Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

PunkBoy posted:

Finally got a decent action shot of my pawn. I really hope Deep Down includes a better screenshot system.

What shirt is that? I totally want it for my Arisen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Samurai Sanders posted:

What shirt is that? I totally want it for my Arisen.

Trophy Jacket. You can purify it in BBI I believe, and I think there's a quest with it as a reward.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Its also behind a Moonbeam Gem door.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The jacket can drop from level 2 cursed armor if you're a yellow (strider/ranger/assassin/magick archer) vocation. The exact notice board quest is By Royal Decree III, available on the Arisen's Refuge notice board in post game only. You'll have to fight two Firedrakes at once in the Chamber of Fate.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

PunkBoy posted:

Trophy Jacket. You can purify it in BBI I believe, and I think there's a quest with it as a reward.

The Trophy Jacket has a boob-window that would make Power Girl proud, and so many ranger-type pawns I see now forgo undershirts so they can flaunt it.

Which reminds me of my rule for recruiting pawns. They gotta be wearing clothes! Just passed a pawn in the streets who was stripped down to just her underthings. Why ya gotta do that, Arisen?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dr. Abysmal posted:

The jacket can drop from level 2 cursed armor if you're a yellow (strider/ranger/assassin/magick archer) vocation. The exact notice board quest is By Royal Decree III, available on the Arisen's Refuge notice board in post game only. You'll have to fight two Firedrakes at once in the Chamber of Fate.
Wait, what class you are influences drops?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

^^^^ Yes, your and your main pawn's current vocations affect the item you receive. If you save before purifying you can kill yourself and try again with different vocations for different results.

Is there a good place to farm Lv. 3 weapons and armors before the last boss? I can't finish 2nd run BBI since I do no damage to chestface.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yep! The drops are set when they spawn, but which you get during purification is chosen based on your class and your pawns. If you are red classes, you're going to get something meant for Fighter, Warrior or Mystic Knight, for example, but if you reload and purify the same piece while you're a ranger and your pawn's a strider, you get something in their field.

Still haven't gotten a magic archer bow, though.

Ojetor posted:

Is there a good place to farm Lv. 3 weapons and armors before the last boss? I can't finish 2nd run BBI since I do no damage to chestface.

Pick Ranger (or Strider, but Ranger is better because of Tenfold Flurry), buy about 40 or so Conquerer's Periapts from Fournival (just to be safe and to let you burn a few mowing down guys that get in your way if you decide to fight your way down rather than run) and fill your non-bow pawns' inventories with Blast Arrows. When you walk in his door, dump all the arrows in your inventory, pop four Conqs, then burn him down with the quickness using Flurry. The last time I went up against chest face it took 8 presses of the button.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 21, 2013

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Lotish posted:

The Trophy Jacket has a boob-window that would make Power Girl proud, and so many ranger-type pawns I see now forgo undershirts so they can flaunt it.

Which reminds me of my rule for recruiting pawns. They gotta be wearing clothes! Just passed a pawn in the streets who was stripped down to just her underthings. Why ya gotta do that, Arisen?

Switching vocations unequips all of your gear, which someone might have done so that they can trade certain items. Like making your main pawn a sorcerer so that it can be gifted an archstaff for your actual sorcerer character.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That giant eyeball can eat an eternity's worth of dicks, but at least its dead.

And a nice shortcut, that should make purifying poo poo in BBI much easier.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Do the bosses (other than the final boss) change in NG+ for bitterblack?

Also is there NG++?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Lotish posted:

Yeah, I was using those chainmail arms as the clothing option, and then suddenly, boobs. Hopefully her current outfit is a nice balance between style and modesty.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do the bosses (other than the final boss) change in NG+ for bitterblack?

Also is there NG++?

If you're referring to your second run through the island, the two main sub bosses do not change. The Gazer and Dark Bishop will always be there. All of the other monster spawns will be different and there's two different sets you can encounter. Like in the Midnight Helix you may get the usual gorecyclops (who starts unchained this time) and evil sorcerer pawns or you may get a frostwyrm and strigoi. Once you beat the final boss of the island again nothing further changes although you can beat him over and over again for loot.

If you're talking about the actual NG+ mode, it has no effect on BBI. You can beat the game as many times as you'd like on a single character but nothing changes from there.

Lotish posted:

Still haven't gotten a magic archer bow, though.

The magick bow drops for yellow vocations. Items that can be used by all vocations seem to be immune to vocation gaming though. So if it decides you're getting a Delta Guard or cloak, that's what you'll always get regardless of vocation.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Lotish posted:

The drops are set when they spawn
Not exactly. If that were the case, then selling or trashing the cursed items would advance you to the next item, it won't.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

In the IRC channel we just sort of realized that the new DLC equipment doesn't actually show up on pawns for people who haven't downloaded the preview pack. I guess it's just invisible and named "Unknown Item". Capcom still hasn't updated the news feed that shows up before the main menu but the new pack is totally in the online store along with a free preview pack to make the equipment visible to people who haven't bought it. I guess go download it if you're running into pawns with weird invisible gear (like mine :qq:).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Ah, so that's why it always generates stuff in the same order. Makes sense. And here I was just thinking that I'd purify something, see what it was, and then gift it to other players I knew were hoping for a certain kind of item.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Huge thanks to the people who sent my pawn back with awesome gear! I'll pay it forward as soon as I get strong enough to be able to do so.

Regarding the idols, I have the Golden and Silver Idols, and I just duped the Golden Idol. Between Caxton and Madeleine, who should I give what?

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Don't do necromancy, kids.

The sweetest 'stache known to man or pawn.

Great Griffin gets fireballs to the face

I don't care if I can call meteors from the sky, I'm still using this drat spell as much as possible.

Action Hero Wizard!

I'm gonna go mystic knight as soon as I max sorc. I wanna make my guy as Paladin-esque as possible, any suggestions for MK skills to do that with?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

CVagts posted:

Huge thanks to the people who sent my pawn back with awesome gear! I'll pay it forward as soon as I get strong enough to be able to do so.

Regarding the idols, I have the Golden and Silver Idols, and I just duped the Golden Idol. Between Caxton and Madeleine, who should I give what?

For strider/ranger/magick archer/caster(?) and some female only gear give it to Madeleine, for heavier armor and weaponry give it to Caxton.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

TehGherkin posted:

I'm gonna go mystic knight as soon as I max sorc. I wanna make my guy as Paladin-esque as possible, any suggestions for MK skills to do that with?

The holy weapon and shield enchantments are both solid. And paladin or no, you'll likely want to take Abyssal Anguish, Great Cannon, and Ruinous Sigil. Abyssal really ups your melee output and can do a lot of damage to some things that would otherwise mostly shrug off your attacks, especially if you use the x-pause-xxx combo. GC gives you a fantastic ranged option. Ideally you use a weapon enchantment and then toss two down before attacking. Ruinous Sigil is great just for general disruption and defense, but if you toss down a couple Great Cannons next to an enemy and then keep spamming the Sigil, the Sigil's hits will continually trigger the Cannons and obliterate anything nearby.

CVagts posted:

Whatever you do, don't give the forged one to either of them. One gets the gold, another gets the silver. Keep the duped one for yourself.

So anyways, a question: Does going into another round of NG+ reset the Riftstones that you've repaired in BBI, or are they permanent?

Vargs fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 21, 2013

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

a kitten posted:

For strider/ranger/magick archer/caster(?) and some female only gear give it to Madeleine, for heavier armor and weaponry give it to Caxton.

Alright, I'm a female strider/magick archer so I'm gonna go Madeleine, thanks for the input.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I'd give it to Caxton, he gets upgraded weapons for all vocations, including Magick Archer. Madeline's female armor isn't that good unless you're going for looks.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

"Hey, what are you guys up to? Can I play too?"

edit: After like 200 hours of playing I should probably know this by now but is there any way to remove (non-inherent) enchantments from your weapons, other than just waiting for them to expire?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 21, 2013

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

tooooooo bad posted:

In the IRC channel we just sort of realized that the new DLC equipment doesn't actually show up on pawns for people who haven't downloaded the preview pack. I guess it's just invisible and named "Unknown Item". Capcom still hasn't updated the news feed that shows up before the main menu but the new pack is totally in the online store along with a free preview pack to make the equipment visible to people who haven't bought it. I guess go download it if you're running into pawns with weird invisible gear (like mine :qq:).
I don't think I have the preview pack for the new stuff, but when I got your pawn, I could see Barroch's cloak on it. It was just listed as an unknown item in the equipment menu.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I really hope the next game improves or does away with the narrative cause its complete loving rear end.

Except for parts with the dragon, he was cool.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Alteisen posted:

I really hope the next game improves or does away with the narrative cause its complete loving rear end.

The writing is mostly good, and it has some great voice actors(The dragon, the Duke, the Elysion) but the presentation of some of it is really bad. And of course there are a lot of bad voice actors too. Capcom really needs to either step up the quality for the next one or keep it to a minimum.

That said there's a lot cutscenes/moments in this game I really really like. Basically everything with the dragon is great(the final battle is probably my favourite). Mercedes' story is pretty good though her voice actor is certainly not the best, and everything post-game is pretty good.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 21, 2013

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

PunkBoy posted:

Yeah, I was using those chainmail arms as the clothing option, and then suddenly, boobs. Hopefully her current outfit is a nice balance between style and modesty.

On the topic of boobs, is there anything in torso clothing that has better stats than the loving silver chestplate?? I cannot find anything that does, unless I'm just going insane.

edit: to that effect, Sierra's rocking the Power Girl look as well. Sadly, I couldn't find a way to paint a large bullseye on her exposed heart.

edit 2: holy poo poo, the Patterned Gambeson does. Sold.

Good Lord Fisher! fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 21, 2013

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Alteisen posted:

The whole atmosphere, style, and voice acting feel super-generic. There doesn't seem to be much personality, except in the skills. It's all very D&D 101.

That said I'm saving up to buy land from Fourevil and I feel like I'm the hero of an 80s movie who's going to save the youth centre from the greedy landlord.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I liked the post-game plot stuff. The fact that there isn't really any plot at all before then doesn't bother me in the slightest. Kinda just served to make the end events seem even crazier.

Can't say I cared for BBI's story junk though. Following up the end of DD with some lame, convoluted love triangle thing didn't do it for me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Count Chocula posted:

The whole atmosphere, style, and voice acting feel super-generic. There doesn't seem to be much personality, except in the skills. It's all very D&D 101.

That said I'm saving up to buy land from Fourevil and I feel like I'm the hero of an 80s movie who's going to save the youth centre from the greedy landlord.
For me that's part of the charm, both being pure D&D but in an (awesome) action game form, and also the 80s-ness of it all. I started playing DD:DA at the same time as Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon and they fit together very well.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Ugh, that Dragon Roar Attack is annoying as hell. There is no way to defend your pawns against that, other than to place them behind geometry, right?

It's so tedious when a Drake decides to spam it in short succession.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
It's not really a big deal. They sit there and do nothing for quite a while after they roar, so you should have more than enough time to sprint around and revive everyone.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
If it's roaring a lot, I'm guessing you're hitting the head a lot. Avoid hitting the head and focus on the heart. If you flinch its head, it'll immediately follow up with a roar unless you flinch it again.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I beat Daimon! I had to switch over to Assassin and bring some Burst Arrows to deal with his murder vortex, but he went down. Goon owner of Victor, you should be proud because that beautiful one-eyed bastard clung onto Daimon's back and made his AI totally flip out. He just failed desperately, trying to get Victor off instead of attacking for like two health bars worth of damage. Sadly, I wasn't able to send Victor home with anything, because as soon as I headed back in for another go, Death appeared and reaped the poor guy :(

I switched back to Magick Archer for the time being. What's the MA's best method of dealing with Daimon's vortex since they can't use Burst Arrows?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
You can grab onto him if you have courage in your heart. Place explosive bolts on him and then do a daring leap towards victory to chop the bolts with Hundred Kisses.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
The hilarious way I did it for awhile was lure him into the entrance, then spam ricochet bolt, which would stunlock him to death.
Now I just spam Ninefold bolt on his stomach until he dies. After enough bolts, it starts flinchlocking him, too.
You could probably jump on him and go crazy, especially with periapts, Immolation, etc, but I kept getting hit by lightning.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
I guess I'm correct in assuming pawns get no xp from being rented, but do they gain discipline points?

Also, I maxed my pawn out as mage (as in level 10 vocation and bought all the skills) and am close to maxing out as sorcerer. What class should I spec to for useful augments? I want to keep my pawn as a healer/buffer, but am open to having her as dps for random situations if anything.

Anyway, If anyone wants to take my pawn out, I'll appreciate it, I wouldn't mind some sweet sweet rift crystals. Xbox GT DojiSekushi, my pawn's name is Cholula, level 35.

Doji Sekushi fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 21, 2013

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

You can grab onto him if you have courage in your heart. Place explosive bolts on him and then do a daring leap towards victory to chop the bolts with Hundred Kisses.
Just make sure to grab onto his backside and you really can't mess up. It's running head on and trying to grab that is dicey. I've gotten vortex'ed a few times trying to master this approach just for style and it's no good!

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!
I saw some posts about the save game corruption bug. Does playing offline avoid the problem? Or will I be ok if I started a new game after downloading the update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Doji Sekushi posted:

I guess I'm correct in assuming pawns get no xp from being rented, but do they gain discipline points?

No, they just earn RC and gain knowledge about quests/areas/enemies.

• Locked thread