Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
Yeah, this whole Mr Gold thing seems incredibly shortsighted. Especially after the Minecraft fiasco last Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Does anyone know when the Pet Shop is due to be discontinued?

jeeves posted:

I loving hate what Mr. Gold did to CMF and to Lego in general.

It's getting such a bad response that they might actually take note though.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Lizard Combatant posted:

Does anyone know when the Pet Shop is due to be discontinued?

It's getting such a bad response that they might actually take note though.

Are you kidding? I am sure it is their top seller of the year. Same with the B-Wing selling amazingly well to scalpers and pretty much loving the vast majority of people (ie: kids) out of getting it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

jeeves posted:

Are you kidding? I am sure it is their top seller of the year. Same with the B-Wing selling amazingly well to scalpers and pretty much loving the vast majority of people (ie: kids) out of getting it.

I'm sure you're referring to Mr Gold not the pet shop. You may be right, but I like to hope they'll be smarter about how they implement similar gimmicks in future.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The two modulars before the pet shop are still being sold, and it's unlikely it will be discontinued before them. I would say some time next year, at the earliest.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

jeeves posted:

How is anyone hosed out of getting it?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Plus I'm not sure how many children were waiting with their saved allowances just in case the B-Wing went on sale.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lizard Combatant posted:

I'm sure you're referring to Mr Gold not the pet shop. You may be right, but I like to hope they'll be smarter about how they implement similar gimmicks in future.

If they wanted to implement this they should have done it with a scratcher coupon in every bag with the winners being mailed Mr Gold instead.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Series 12 should have Mr. Gold as one of the standard 16.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The_Doctor posted:

I would love this. The fallout would be incredible, it'd be the hypercane of shitstorms.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

LingcodKilla posted:

If they wanted to implement this they should have done it with a scratcher coupon in every bag with the winners being mailed Mr Gold instead.

This is good, but

The_Doctor posted:

this is better

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

The_Doctor posted:

The people dumb enough to pay $1,000 on eBay would sue SUE SUE :argh:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

The Rage posted:

Plus I'm not sure how many children were waiting with their saved allowances just in case the B-Wing went on sale.

I kind of get the feeling maybe it wasn't selling all that well. I considered buying the set when it came out, AND I considered it when it went on sale for half price, but frankly I am just not all the enamored with it. So, yeah - I think people maybe buying an extra set was not unreasonable, but I'm kind of hoping that these sets are as unpopular so the people who bought 25 are doing lego a favor by clearing out stock that they were going to have trouble selling.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Lizard Combatant posted:

So much do I loath that skydiver, it's this series' Sour Quince Log.

It's still the biker mechanic for me. I bought another nine S10s in Michigan over the weekend and every single one was a repeat except for a single Revolutionary soldier. Sexy librarian continues to elude me. Story of my life.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
drat you Lego! Why do you have such contempt for Australia?
All I want is that Lone Ranger train and you have it available in every other country and a free shipping deal on top of it!
Even New Zealanders can get it already! Though the poor bastards get even more of a mark up than us.

Saint Sputnik posted:

Sexy librarian continues to elude me. Story of my life.

Yeah I need one too for my real life version.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

Red posted:

The people dumb enough to pay $1,000 on eBay would sue SUE SUE :argh:

Could they, though? Or at least have a case? It's not like LEGO is the one that was selling the figure on ebay. I just don't know how it all works.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Officer Farva posted:

Could they, though? Or at least have a case? It's not like LEGO is the one that was selling the figure on ebay. I just don't know how it all works.

A.) I don't believe they'd have a case against Lego, no.
B.) The legal costs far outweigh the money lost on Mr. Gold.
C.) The kind of person dumb enough to drop a grand on a Lego figure that's a month old is probably the same kind of person that would storm into a law office, brandishing a tear-stained printout of the next minifigure teaser picture.

Edit: Had to add tears

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Red posted:

A.) I don't believe they'd have a case against Lego, no.
B.) The legal costs far outweigh the money lost on Mr. Gold.
C.) The kind of person dumb enough to drop a grand on a Lego figure that's a month old is probably the same kind of person that would storm into a law office, brandishing a tear-stained printout of the next minifigure teaser picture.

Edit: Had to add tears

I would love to be a fly on the wall in scenario C so very much.

e: \/\/\/ That would have been better. You'd still get people buying whole cases and reselling the figs online but not quite as many people would be willing to do that and they'd have to sell the figs at below cost to unload them all.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 21, 2013

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
A much, much better way of handling this would have been to have made Mr. Gold standard in series 10, and include scratchers for a chance to win one of (X number) of a version made out of solid goddamn gold.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Lizard Combatant posted:

I would love to be a fly on the wall in scenario C so very much.

e: \/\/\/ That would have been better. You'd still get people buying whole cases and reselling the figs online but not quite as many people would be willing to do that and they'd have to sell the figs at below cost to unload them all.

This is the part that's really disappointed me. I'd really like to build a revolutionary army, but I'm not going to pay John Q. Bricklink above-cost for the minifigs he's offloading from his Mr. Gold search.

I get that some of the inventory is just because Series 10 is current, but this is still ridiculous:

quote:

Series 1 Minifigures (3367)
Series 2 Minifigures (4762)
Series 3 Minifigures (9336)
Series 4 Minifigures (9813)
Series 5 Minifigures (6392)
Series 6 Minifigures (8552)
Series 7 Minifigures (6368)
Series 8 Minifigures (3651)
Series 9 Minifigures (4342)
Series 10 Minifigures (23159)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So I'm in Minnesota this week for work, and I just found out today that we're going to be staying in Minneapolis right near the airport on Wednesday night instead of the podunk town we're at now. Guess where I'm going after work tomorrow!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Dogen posted:

...but I'm kind of hoping that these sets are as unpopular so the people who bought 25 are doing lego a favor by clearing out stock that they were going to have trouble selling.

Naw, it'll be easy to sell, and is.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

mattfl posted:

So I'm in Minnesota this week for work, and I just found out today that we're going to be staying in Minneapolis right near the airport on Wednesday night instead of the podunk town we're at now. Guess where I'm going after work tomorrow!

I found the pick-a-brick there really disappointing when I was there a while ago. The store is huge and the wall is way bigger than most of their stores but they had the worst brick selection I've ever seen. Is that pretty normal for the Mall of America location or did I just have bad luck?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Dogen posted:

I kind of get the feeling maybe it wasn't selling all that well. I considered buying the set when it came out, AND I considered it when it went on sale for half price, but frankly I am just not all the enamored with it. So, yeah - I think people maybe buying an extra set was not unreasonable, but I'm kind of hoping that these sets are as unpopular so the people who bought 25 are doing lego a favor by clearing out stock that they were going to have trouble selling.

Strangely enough, eBay is showing that even right now the people who bought out extras at half price are profitable. They're selling for around $150, which is still a deal for people who want the set, saving $50, and the people who bought them are making ~$30 after shipping and eBay fees. So it might not be a huge profit, but theres still some being made. And eventually once the set is truly discontinued, there'll be people freaking out that they didn't get one, and buy it for above original retail.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

How is anyone hosed out of getting it?

Lots of people were hosed out of getting it at a decent price because scalpers bought 25 at a time so they could turn a quick profit.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lots of people were hosed out of getting it at a decent price because scalpers bought 25 at a time so they could turn a quick profit.

As far as I know, after human beings got to work in the morning, they got into the system and continued selling them, despite being "sold out". I bought mine after the initial rush died down. Has anyone not had their order fulfilled yet?

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Mine was purchased after it was "sold out" and I received it, and have since completed building it. ... It's ginormous. I actually have no idea where to put it; it's so much bigger than any other Lego set I've dealt with.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It was literally available to buy though on backorder for 90% of the time it was on sale. Any child with 99$ to spend on his very own B-wing was afforded the chance.

My lego... :negative:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Hay goons, look what I got at a yard sale for $20:

No instructions, but he claimed that the Amazon set was complete. The enormous baseplate is in perfect condition, which is surprising given how flimsy it seems in the middle. Also said that the bucket contains "most of a pirate ship".

Digging through them now, will update when I figure out what I've got. So far, though, there are a ton of Tyco "Lego-compatible" bricks. Never seen them before, but drat if I didn't immediately know they were fake just from touching them: wrong texture, wrong weight. I suppose if my color vision was better I might be able to tell them apart by color, too.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Squashy Nipples posted:

I suppose if my color vision was better I might be able to tell them apart by color, too.

Oh my god that must be hell for a Lego lover. It's like Mr. Bemis and his broken glasses from Twilight Zone. :(

(Although I just had a hilarious thought of a color blind kid building something he thinks looks amazing but it looks like a technicolor mess)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Johnny Thunder theme never should've ended. :3:

Or at the very least the Indiana Jones sets should've been half as cool.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

ChesterJT posted:

Oh my god that must be hell for a Lego lover. It's like Mr. Bemis and his broken glasses from Twilight Zone. :(

(Although I just had a hilarious thought of a color blind kid building something he thinks looks amazing but it looks like a technicolor mess)

It is. I constantly get colours mixed up when building. Differentiating between the 1x1 brown tiles (decoration under windows) and dark red tiles (awning above windows) in this set

proved impossible and I had to get my wife to help.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Big Mean Jerk posted:

When they put stuff on sale for more than 20% off, it is pretty much cleaning house, everything must go. Don't expect any popular sets to last more than five minutes under those circumstances. It was available for a long time before that at full price if you absolutely must have had one.

Also I don't see the B-Wing being a "quick profit", more something that sits for years before spiking in value like the Death Star.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It seems pretty hard to lose money on a Star Wars UCS set at half price. It's not super rare but it is a $199 lego.com exclusive.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What I mean is that so many people will be selling them now that it ought to keep the prices low for a while, until suddenly the supply starts to run out and the price spikes like the Death Star did.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

No, no, I'm not color blind; I can pass those circle dot tests. I just have trouble distinguishing between very similar colors. So yeah, that does include the modern depiction of black Lego elements, but I've gotten used to that. The upshot is that I usually build MOCs from existing Lego color palettes, under the assumption that someone with a good eye for color picked them out originally.

MaliciousOnion posted:

It is. I constantly get colours mixed up when building. Differentiating between the 1x1 brown tiles (decoration under windows) and dark red tiles (awning above windows) in this set proved impossible and I had to get my wife to help.

Yeah, I'm not quite as bad as this guy.

Captain Invictus posted:

What I mean is that so many people will be selling them now that it ought to keep the prices low for a while, until suddenly the supply starts to run out and the price spikes like the Death Star did.

Yeah, some of the Bricklink sellers seem to think that Supply And Demand only goes one way. Me, when I buy set for resale, I pick a price I like and just leave it there... even if it takes years, eventually I'll be at the price equilibrium when someone wants to buy it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

The Rage posted:

Strangely enough, eBay is showing that even right now the people who bought out extras at half price are profitable. They're selling for around $150, which is still a deal for people who want the set, saving $50, and the people who bought them are making ~$30 after shipping and eBay fees. So it might not be a huge profit, but theres still some being made. And eventually once the set is truly discontinued, there'll be people freaking out that they didn't get one, and buy it for above original retail.

I guess the lesson is, no set is ever really a failure. Especially as smackfu points out... UCS star wars set at half price.

Although wasn't the UCS jedi starfighter a bit of a bust? I remember those were still available when I was getting back into lego and were super cheap.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Dogen posted:

Although wasn't the UCS jedi starfighter a bit of a bust? I remember those were still available when I was getting back into lego and were super cheap.

They still have plenty of them at toysrus in canada and they knocked the regular price from $130 to $80 and goes on sale every 6-8 weeks. It is actually a really nice ship but at $130 for under 700 pieces it was way too expensive and now they have a hard time moving them even at a reasonable price. I saw them on for $47 during one sale and they weren't moving at all.

The only UCS set I don't have but still want is the Y-Wing, they run anywhere from $400-600. I might bricklink it like I did the snowspeeder but haven't gotten to it yet. Maybe they will do another set like they have the X-wing and fix the problems the original had which would be nice.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

No, no, I'm not color blind; I can pass those circle dot tests. I just have trouble distinguishing between very similar colors.

Color deficiency :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=528530

:stare: Usually I'm not into HF/Buinicle but I feel like getting some now.