Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Volume posted:

Just wondering if you could do me a favor and post the link to the thread here when you make it cause I am totally looking forward to this and don't want to miss it.

Yes, I can do that, and I will do that.

The thread is live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
So, here's a situation that I'm sure will have come up before but I'm drawing a bit of a blank on.

I've just spent the past half hour or so trying to find a copy of a soundtrack that, to the best of my knowledge, was only released in Japan, had what I presume to be a very limited print and is now either borderline impossible to find a copy of... or the few I could find are going for around $70 a piece. And, through some absolute miracle, there's nothing related to it at all on Youtube either so I can't just link to that. Y'know, if that would even be allowed in the first place.

It seems to me that the best solution to this would be to just not even bother and leave out the music, but it has a certain charm that really helps sell the psuedo-film noir atmosphere really well too so I'd rather not do that unless absolutely necessary. Meanwhile, the option to spend $70+ is there but that's not really something I could justify spending exclusively for one LP.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dragonatrix posted:

So, here's a situation that I'm sure will have come up before but I'm drawing a bit of a blank on.

I've just spent the past half hour or so trying to find a copy of a soundtrack that, to the best of my knowledge, was only released in Japan, had what I presume to be a very limited print and is now either borderline impossible to find a copy of... or the few I could find are going for around $70 a piece. And, through some absolute miracle, there's nothing related to it at all on Youtube either so I can't just link to that. Y'know, if that would even be allowed in the first place.

It seems to me that the best solution to this would be to just not even bother and leave out the music, but it has a certain charm that really helps sell the psuedo-film noir atmosphere really well too so I'd rather not do that unless absolutely necessary. Meanwhile, the option to spend $70+ is there but that's not really something I could justify spending exclusively for one LP.

What are you playing this on? Without getting into :filez: territory, sometimes you can rip the soundtrack off of certain games depending on how the data is structured. But that's assuming you can connect it to a PC.

saihate
Oct 16, 2009

ID: ththththt
PASS: hthththth

Dragonatrix posted:

Is this the CD you're looking for? http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/2638006
It's about $40 + ~$7-10 international shipping. It's pretty expensive, but that's the regular price. drat you Japanese CDs and your ridiculous pricing!

Edit: fixed link

saihate fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 21, 2013

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Looks pretty good to me. I'd love to see you do all three games. The only suggestion I'd make is you might want to consider uploading cutscenes without commentary like what Chip does in case anyone watching wants clean cutscenes. Not necessary but might be worth the trouble in the long run.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Dragonatrix posted:

Is it possible to record your own tracks from the game itself? I'm not sure what kind of game it is, but maybe you can record audio, do nothing in the game, let it loop for awhile until you get a good sample.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Alright, here is a revised edition of the first VLR update, with the audio tracks broken into smaller chunks so that sections that are predominantly Sigma-beeps are eliminated. I used the time between tracks to provide some voice actor notes (and will use it where commentary is called for later).

This is pretty much the last step before I launch the thread, so please let me know if it works better, especially if you were someone who didn't like the first version much.

(I also fixed the missing line and adjusted the Zero talking head to brighten it)

E: no one saw me paste in the wrong link and not notice.

EE: Tindeck appears to be having some problems right now so uh bear with me I guess

EEE: Panic over.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 21, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

slowbeef posted:

Is it possible to record your own tracks from the game itself?

That'd be easy to do, yeah. I considered it, but wasn't sure of whether or not it'd be okay to post the entire thing like that. If so, then it's definitely an alternative I'd be willing to do.

Yeah, that looks like it's it. And ~£34 inc. shipping does seem a fair bit more reasonable.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

Looks fine to me. I've always been curious about this game but actually playing is such a chore that I never got really far.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Dragonatrix posted:

That'd be easy to do, yeah. I considered it, but wasn't sure of whether or not it'd be okay to post the entire thing like that. If so, then it's definitely an alternative I'd be willing to do.

If it's an import reseller - i.e. you can't buy it from the original company who produces the soundtrack - it's okay to post. The key phrase is "easily/normally obtainable" - if you can buy it on Amazon, iTunes, publisher's website, etc. don't post.

Please note this only applies to game stuff, not other media.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Fedule posted:

Alright, here is a revised edition of the first VLR update, with the audio tracks broken into smaller chunks so that sections that are predominantly Sigma-beeps are eliminated. I used the time between tracks to provide some voice actor notes (and will use it where commentary is called for later).

This is pretty much the last step before I launch the thread, so please let me know if it works better, especially if you were someone who didn't like the first version much.

(I also fixed the missing line and adjusted the Zero talking head to brighten it)

E: no one saw me paste in the wrong link and not notice.

EE: Tindeck appears to be having some problems right now so uh bear with me I guess

Tindeck is now working.

Personally I'd rather have all the voiced lines included somehow but the preference between more voices and less beeping is going to vary from person to person so its up to you. The new version is closer to the ideal for me though, with the really long sections of beeping gone and the extra notes.

I think the VLR thread should wait to go up until a while after Dragonatrix posts the last update. Even though people in the thread seem impatient to discuss the Q&A ahead of time I'm sure there will be a few days of discussion about it after his actual post.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

whitehelm posted:

Tindeck is now working.

Personally I'd rather have all the voiced lines included somehow but the preference between more voices and less beeping is going to vary from person to person so its up to you. The new version is closer to the ideal for me though, with the really long sections of beeping gone and the extra notes.

I think the VLR thread should wait to go up until a while after Dragonatrix posts the last update. Even though people in the thread seem impatient to discuss the Q&A ahead of time I'm sure there will be a few days of discussion about it after his actual post.

Yeah, the sole downside to this approach is that certain lines get lost in a sea of beeps. But if they're significant, or just really, really good, I'll include them as oneshots.

I'm not exactly itching to launch right now goddamnit, so yeah, I'll probably wait on Dragonatrix a bit. Besides, this way I can write myself a backlog all the way up to the first branching point.

(there is a full half-hour of dialogue between now and then)

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Just one little suggestion: would it make sense to maybe give the "listen in" links an icon to make them a bit more noticeable? It seems like they'd be really easy to accidentally scroll past, and having to go back and try to find where the last one was would probably get annoying after awhile.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Oh boy here we go. Don't have a working title for this yet. Just making sure I've got enough info/video looks good/commentary isn't banal. I've only got YouTube links for now but I'll also upload it on Blip if everything here is in order.

quote:

:siren: LATEST EPISODE :siren:
Mass Effect 1: Episode 01: Eden Prime - [YouTube] [Blip] - [Relevant Codex Entries]

The Franchise
Honestly you'd probably have to be living under a rock to not know about Mass Effect but I'll give you guys a quick rundown regardless. The series started back in late 2007 and has since spanned three games, four books, and nine comics with tons of DLC and action figures over the course of the last six years. Hell, they've even got their own Risk board game coming out later this year!

Set in 2183, the story focuses on player character Commander Shepard as he/she romps around the sprawling universe, saving countless people among countless species from a destructive synthetic menace that threatens to wipe the glactic slate clean. Along the way you'll be forced to make huge choices that shape the story to the decisions you make.

The games are vast and I intend to play all three. That's how they're meant to be played, after all.

The Choices
Mass Effect is known as a game all about choices, even so much as boiling down to somewhat insignificant things like your Shepard's background and how your Shepard reacts to someone telling them to have a good day. As far as BIG choices are concerned (e.g.: do we commit genocide, which one of these two people do we attempt to save, who do we romance, etc.), I WILL be putting it to a thread vote. I'd like to shape at least the big aspects of the universe around the thread's choices.

However, when it comes to SMALL choices like our Shepard's general demeanor, I will NOT be putting it to a vote. Mass Effect as a franchise is huge and I cannot be stopping every step of the way to ask what you guys would like to do-- I have to take liberties. Also I really don't like being pigeon-holed into one morality. I will not be playing strictly Paragon and I will not be playing strictly Renegade. I'm generally a pretty nice guy but if someone I thought was cool decided to slap me across the face I'm not going to turn the other cheek. As such I will be picking dialogue that I feel fits the situation best. I may not be accurate 100% of the time-- sometimes that renegade option comes across a little more dickish than I expected it to! But I hope enough people would appreciate the fact that I'm not choosing dialogue strictly based on us putting it to a vote and deciding that our Shepard would be more pissed off in the morning without a nice cup of joe but becomes more tolerable as the day goes on.

There is also many sidequests I will not be doing. Most of them are pretty boring fetchquests and I wouldn't ask you to watch them. Only some of them even really pay off in the sequels and even then it's often just an e-mail from that character thanking you. I have, however, taken a close look at what sidequests actually carry over in the sequels and any of them that I find either interesting or essential I will make sure get shown off.

The Dialogue
There's a lot of dialogue in Mass Effect. Most conversations have a little "Investigate" menu where you can ask people about subjects you don't quite understand, but we really don't have time for all that! I've taken the liberty of planning out each update. Beforehand I go around and talk to everyone I know I'll be talking to that episode and check out each of their Investigate options to see which ones seem important or not. As a result, there's a lot of fluff dialogue you don't have to worry about me sitting around listening to. Shepard, after all, is no fish out of water-- they were probably taught a lot about the history of the galaxy in school! Shepard most likely isn't going to be asking about who the Protheans are, but you might be. Which brings me to...

The Codex
Mass Effect is a big game with a lot of backstory. People may often refer to things you don't know the history of, or maybe you'd just like to know more about how everyone's gun has infinite ammo. In game there is a journal called the Codex. There's a lot of entries in this and I really don't have time to bring it up every time something interesting comes up so I'm going to take the opportunity to post supplementary codex entries in the thread alongside each update for anything I find to be interesting to the episode at hand.

Now in game, a good amount of the Codex also has audio entries to go alongside the text, read to you by the wonderful voice of Neil Ross. However, even more entries are not read out loud for you. For the sake of:
1) consistency
2) narcissism
3) I don't really have a quick/reliable way of getting the audio of him out of the game
...I'm going to go ahead and record my own audio entries for all the Codex entries I post alongside the updates-- even the ones that don't normally have audio. They'll all be optional of course; there will just be links to Tindeck by each entry you can click on if you'd like to listen along.

The DLC
Currently I have no plans on playing any of the ME1 DLC. For the other games I am so far undecided. There's a lot of DLC in ME2 I really like so I definitely want to show it off but I have none of it for the PC so we'll see about it when we get there.

The Spoilers
None. Not even tagged. This is a journey through time where the story is shaped to your decisions. I don't want to hear people saying "Oh just go ahead and do this because this will be the result in the second game and you get this stuff." That's not how people make decisions during their first playthrough! If I put something to a thread vote I want to you come to a decision based off the facts we currently know. We don't know if this little kid is going to grow up to be space Hitler so I don't want you to condemn him to death if all we know is that he needs our help, capisce?

The Format
This LP will be in video format with episodes usually being roughly an hour long. Quite lengthy I know, but the Mass Effect games are big, cinematic experiences with lots of dialogue. Like I mentioned before there's a lot of dialogue of sidequests I will be skipping over but even then an hour episode seems like it will be the average unless I really blitz through the gunplay segments. Because a lot of work goes into these updates can take a while but I will try my best to get out a new episode every week. Now without further ado...

The Episodes
Mass Effect 1: Episode 01: Eden Prime - [YouTube] [Blip] - [Relevant Codex Entries]

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

Oh boy here we go. Don't have a working title for this yet. Just making sure I've got enough info/video looks good/commentary isn't banal. I've only got YouTube links for now but I'll also upload it on Blip if everything here is in order.

I don't have time to watch the video, but a criticism of your OP:

You're spending 80% of your OP talking about things you're not doing. Mass Effect is a pretty big thing and even if you made a better OP and cut all the "I won't be doing this, I won't be doing this, I won't be doing this" stuff out, I'm not sure if the LP would be doing the series justice.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Looks good to me. I'll be watching for the thread. Here's hoping you can finish what I didn't, haha.

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!

Sylphid posted:

Looks pretty good to me. I'd love to see you do all three games. The only suggestion I'd make is you might want to consider uploading cutscenes without commentary like what Chip does in case anyone watching wants clean cutscenes. Not necessary but might be worth the trouble in the long run.

Thanks, I'll get working on the alternate version tonight and upload to an alternate host. Thread should be up by the end of the week if things go smoothly.

Zutaten posted:

Looks good to me. I'll be watching for the thread. Here's hoping you can finish what I didn't, haha.

Get in on this if you got the time. Would love to have you onboard for an update or two.

ScurvyKip fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 21, 2013

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Spiffo posted:

I don't have time to watch the video, but a criticism of your OP:

While I agree the OP can definitely use a rewrite I'm not entirely sure I agree that the LP would suffer due to things not being done. I still plan to do all of the story and I plan to talk to all of the crew between missions and whatnot. Pretty much all I plan on not doing is discussing lore fluff with NPCs and doing any sidequests that really don't accomplish anything other than more credits in your pocket. I still plan on doing, say, the Conrad Verner sidequest and everything involving Cerberus. There's just a moderate amount of sidequests that are really just fetchquests.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kaubocks posted:

While I agree the OP can definitely use a rewrite I'm not entirely sure I agree that the LP would suffer due to things not being done. I still plan to do all of the story and I plan to talk to all of the crew between missions and whatnot. Pretty much all I plan on not doing is discussing lore fluff with NPCs and doing any sidequests that really don't accomplish anything other than more credits in your pocket. I still plan on doing, say, the Conrad Verner sidequest and everything involving Cerberus. There's just a moderate amount of sidequests that are really just fetchquests.

He's saying that your OP should be about all the stuff you *are* doing, not what you are *not* doing. Just have one line saying that you aren't doing fluff and silly sidequests and let it be done, since it's irrelevant unless you're going for a completionist run

That being said, make sure the stuff you're skipping is actually really boring to watch and not just because you're trying to power through everything. It's far, far better to have a detailed LP of one game in a series than a mediocre one of three different games. Doing a Mass Effect LP is a massive undertaking, so don't rush anything, just go at a slow pace.

E. Grammar

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 22, 2013

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Yeah, pretty much that. You could also include maybe clips of some of the fluff. Or the extra conversations you're not having? Maybe have those be a bonus video, or an extra bit at the end. Or possibly even have two versions of a given episode, the Full one and a Lean one with the extra dialogue cut out (like how some LPs have "talking during cutscenes" and "we don't talk during cutscenes" versions).

And of course important bits of codex in the OP and posts as they go. A single Mass Effect game is a huge undertaking, and you're talking about tackling the entire trilogy.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

ScurvyKip posted:

Thanks, I'll get working on the alternate version tonight and upload to an alternate host. Thread should be up by the end of the week if things go smoothly.

Although I certainly don't know what you have intended for future videos, and if you plan on talking about it in the future, if I may make another suggestion, it might be interesting for people who don't know much about Xenosaga if you talk about Episode I and the series' connection in general to Xenogears. There's definitely a story behind former Square people leaving the company and forming Monolith Soft and trying to reinvent Gears for a new console generation, if I have the story behind that right.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
Okay, trying again, with the interlacing/cropping fixed on my video.

quote:

It's hip! It's new! It's fresh! It's Mega Man X7!

Mega Man X7? What's that?
A terrible platformer with a mixture of 2D and 3D gameplay. No, seriously. X7 was the first PS2 Mega Man X game, and it was a doozy. The level designs are terrible, the controls feel like they've never been playtested, the boss weapons are generally useless, and the voice acting... well. The less said about the voice acting the better. Even worse, they brought back the Reploid rescue system from X5-6, where you need to find and touch Reploids scattered throughout the stages, before they get killed.

Of course, the worst crime was that you don't get to play as X.

Wait, what?
Okay, to be accurate, you don't get to play as X right away. You have to rescue a certain number of Reploids first, or beat all the main bosses. Instead, you'll be playing as Zero and Axl. Axl is a new character added into the series, presumably to try and attract new fans. Of course, instead of really trying to shake things up with his gameplay, he's essentially a weaker version of X. In many ways, Axl seems like a fanfiction character shoved into the game.

So why are you playing it?
Because I own the game and I hate myself. And also, there are some decisions made that could've actually been good. If done properly, this game could've been pretty amazing. Instead, it was essentially :effort:: The Game. Joined with me on this journey of self-hatred will be Lizard Wizard and Goodusernamehere.

Intro Stage

Again, looking for feedback on the commentary.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~

Prythian posted:

There is some minor fumbling over each other, but that is usually remedied with time as you all do more. Other then that the (commentary) is fine.

So I assume this isn't your final quality for the video?

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Zackcat posted:

There is some minor fumbling over each other, but that is usually remedied with time as you all do more. Other then that the (commentary) is fine.

So I assume this isn't your final quality for the video?

The quality on this particular video is accurate to what's coming out of my capture card. I'm not sure there's a way for me to improve it. X7 is not a pretty game.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~

Prythian posted:

The quality on this particular video is accurate to what's coming out of my capture card. I'm not sure there's a way for me to improve it. X7 is not a pretty game.

hmm maybe you can take it to the Tech Fort in some effort to clean up the video. Also you can hit me up on Skype!

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Zackcat posted:

hmm maybe you can ask for some tech advice. This is a PS2 game right?

Correct. Came out for the PS2 in 2003.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Prythian posted:

Yeah, it definitely seems like your video quality took a step back (though the interlacing is indeed gone). I do want to say though that you do have frame blending going on and that it seems like you're capturing off a SD capture card or something.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Niggurath posted:

Yeah, it definitely seems like your video quality took a step back (though the interlacing is indeed gone). I do want to say though that you do have frame blending going on and that it seems like you're capturing off a SD capture card or something.

Well, uh, I actually am. The people who gave me a capture card went for a Dazzle because it was cheaper, and I don't have money to buy an HD capture device right now. That being said, do I really need an HD device for an old PS2 game?

Also, I'm not sure how to fix frame blending. I'm pretty much completely new to this.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Prythian posted:

Well, uh, I actually am. The people who gave me a capture card went for a Dazzle because it was cheaper, and I don't have money to buy an HD capture device right now. That being said, do I really need an HD device for an old PS2 game?

Also, I'm not sure how to fix frame blending. I'm pretty much completely new to this.
If you're capturing directly off the system, there really isn't much you can do. How are you encoding your end product? In Vegas or Premiere, or maybe avisynth/Megui? Really the only reason I bring up the quality is because it seemed worse than the first video you posted.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Niggurath posted:

If you're capturing directly off the system, there really isn't much you can do. How are you encoding your end product? In Vegas or Premiere, or maybe avisynth/Megui? Really the only reason I bring up the quality is because it seemed worse than the first video you posted.

I'm using MeGui, but for the first video I was using Pinnacle Studios, which left in all the interlacing and the black bars. Running it through MeGui seemed to automatically fix those issues, but at the cost of the quality going down, probably because I just used its One-Click Encoder.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Prythian posted:

I can't speak about the blending, but I can point out that the PS2 native resolution is 640x480, which is decidedly not HD. However, something I do to get a better video quality is to double the video's size to 1280x960 (Lanczos filter if you have the option). Not only does this end up scaling better, but it gets Youtube to use its newer, better pipeline so that it looks better even set on 480p.

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I can't speak about the blending, but I can point out that the PS2 native resolution is 640x480, which is decidedly not HD. However, something I do to get a better video quality is to double the video's size to 1280x960 (Lanczos filter if you have the option). Not only does this end up scaling better, but it gets Youtube to use its newer, better pipeline so that it looks better even set on 480p.

I'll try this and get back to the Sandcastle when all the encoding and uploading is done.

Emery
Feb 8, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

Since you're doing all three games, you probably realize that in the second game, not going all paragon or all renegade can gently caress you out of a few really big decisions and generally closes a lot of doors for you. That might make things a little tough in regards to votes at a couple of points. 45 minute video is a bit much and you might want to chop it down. I get that it's very cinematic, but putting up three 20 minute videos instead of an hour is just a lot more convenient for the people watching.

The video's great, I love how you've done the codex stuff, and the OP things already got addressed. I'm looking forward to following the thread!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm racking my brain and searching online the best I can but really the only think I can remember/find that being neutral screws you on in ME2 is trying to resolve the arguments between Miranda/Jack and Tali/Legion. Am I wrong in thinking those were the only things? I could have sworn that's all there was being wishy-washy would lock you out of and even then I'm 90% sure everyone can survive the suicide mission even with a handful of unloyal members.

I can definitely consider cutting the episodes down to roughly 20-30 minutes, I'll just have to be a lot more mindful of where I end each episode. Wouldn't be too hard to cut this first one though-- just chop it in half as we land on Eden Prime.

In reply to people saying that a Mass Effect trilogy LP would be a lot of work, don't think I don't understand that. I'm just currently unemployed with a lot of free time and love for the series. I'm not trying to cut out a ton of stuff in an attempt to blitz through the franchise-- it's really quite the opposite. Anything I'm trying to cut out is an attempt to not show off things that are too boring in order to hold interest. I'm trying to make sure that everything happens on screen is enjoyable. It just happens that a lot of the sidequests in Mass Effect I don't find that interesting. They all generally take you to copy and paste planets and bunkers to fetch and item and in return you get some money. I can absolutely completely cut back on how much I'm saying I'm not going to do so it doesn't feel like I'm just going around going "Yeah I'm not doing that or that or that," but I think after one episode of sidequests people would have had their fill.

I'm really not trying to be difficult here. I'm thankful for the criticism-- I want this to come out of here looking good.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Kaubocks posted:

I'm trying to make sure that everything happens on screen is enjoyable. It just happens that a lot of the sidequests in Mass Effect I don't find that interesting. They all generally take you to copy and paste planets and bunkers to fetch and item and in return you get some money. I can absolutely completely cut back on how much I'm saying I'm not going to do so it doesn't feel like I'm just going around going "Yeah I'm not doing that or that or that," but I think after one episode of sidequests people would have had their fill.

Yeah, definitely. It might be helpful to grab like some clips or whatever to give people the gist, but when you put it that way it makes sense to cut it entirely since there's no notable "content" and you already said that the interesting ones were going in.

I still recommend including the extra conversation stuff somehow (including the "Investigate" content). Not sure how you could do it without blowing up the length, though - possibly that two-version idea I mentioned before? A full version with all the conversations, and a lean version with the extra stuff cut out?

No idea, you've probably thought about this way more than I have.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Kaubocks posted:

I'm racking my brain and searching online the best I can but really the only think I can remember/find that being neutral screws you on in ME2 is trying to resolve the arguments between Miranda/Jack and Tali/Legion. Am I wrong in thinking those were the only things? I could have sworn that's all there was being wishy-washy would lock you out of and even then I'm 90% sure everyone can survive the suicide mission even with a handful of unloyal members.

There's also one in Lair of the Shadow Broker (trying to trick Vasir into letting down her guard so Liara can smack her with a table) that's of a similar difficulty. Importing helps a LOT though, and it sounds like you'll be doing that. And yes, you can actually get everyone to survive the suicide mission with about half of them disloyal (easier if you have Zaeed, harder if you have Kasumi).

E: Though personally I find it more interesting to intentionally kill certain people. That would certainly make for a large thread vote/debate.

Kaubocks posted:

In reply to people saying that a Mass Effect trilogy LP would be a lot of work, don't think I don't understand that. I'm just currently unemployed with a lot of free time and love for the series. I'm not trying to cut out a ton of stuff in an attempt to blitz through the franchise-- it's really quite the opposite. Anything I'm trying to cut out is an attempt to not show off things that are too boring in order to hold interest. I'm trying to make sure that everything happens on screen is enjoyable. It just happens that a lot of the sidequests in Mass Effect I don't find that interesting. They all generally take you to copy and paste planets and bunkers to fetch and item and in return you get some money. I can absolutely completely cut back on how much I'm saying I'm not going to do so it doesn't feel like I'm just going around going "Yeah I'm not doing that or that or that," but I think after one episode of sidequests people would have had their fill.

There are a couple ways to get around this. The most obvious would be to put the sidequests in their own videos. Given how a lot of them are self-contained, it'd be pretty easy. You could then simply recommend which videos you think are interesting and leave the viewers to decide which ones to watch. Another method would be to do a round-up after you finish each game, asking the thread which sidequests that you skipped they think should be shown.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 22, 2013

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
Alright, guys, here's an attempt at bumping up the quality on the video. Is it good enough for a thread?

Intro Stage

Edit: Never loving mind, somehow my video got reinterlaced by doing the exact same thing I was doing only with a resized video. Time to fiddle more.

Prythian fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 22, 2013

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I really enjoyed the video. I would agree though that you should probably still include the sidequests; just in their own videos. You could even pull a guest commentator or something to keep it fresh. Bonus videos with some notable opposite decisions/conversations would be cool too.

I like the codex stuff. Nicely done.

Emery
Feb 8, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

Without a near full paragon or fairly decent renegade, it gets to be almost impossible to get Morinth on a first playthrough. That's the big one I was thinking of. The arguments can also mess with things, but I believe if you talk to the person you didn't side with you can make an excuse on a lower morality requirement to keep both parties loyal.

Depending on who isn't loyal and what DLC you have, one person can actually tip the balance. If you've got Zaeed, then it's very doable, but if not, it's really tight to pull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Emery posted:

Without a near full paragon or fairly decent renegade, it gets to be almost impossible to get Morinth on a first playthrough. That's the big one I was thinking of. The arguments can also mess with things, but I believe if you talk to the person you didn't side with you can make an excuse on a lower morality requirement to keep both parties loyal.

It's a little odd, actually. If you sided with the emotional one (Jack/Tali), the logical one is an easier check, but if you sided with the logical one (Miranda/Legion), the emotional one is an even harder check. Presumably because they feel quite betrayed.

• Locked thread