Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I would say p&s is very western to the point that if you don't like the shows its giving homage to you probably won't like it. Also sex and poo poo jokes. If you don't like those its also likely you won't care for it. It's pretty plotless as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

linall
Feb 1, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

I would say p&s is very western to the point that if you don't like the shows its giving homage to you probably won't like it. Also sex and poo poo jokes. If you don't like those its also likely you won't care for it. It's pretty plotless as well.

It doesn't help that the first episode is one of the worst. Even when P&S is being puerile (pretty much always) it usually goes about it better than: the joke is that he is made of poo poo. On the other hand, episode two is pretty fantastic. So that helps.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah YKK is amazing, one of my favorite all-time manga. I was so sad when it was over (though I also think it had the perfect ending).

E: Just to have an actual recommendation in here, if you like YKK you may enjoy Mushishi or even Haibane Renmei if you haven't seen them already.
:)

Yep, I saw those already. The recommendation for YKK a few months ago was probably from me asking for something similar. There isn't enough of this stuff. By 'this stuff' I mean slice of life with enough (subtextual?) narrative, interesting characters, and unique atmosphere to keep me watching. That and I think I'd watch almost anything that features a cafe/eating establishment/small shop in a prominent way.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Are there any good anime shows with women directors or writers?

coathat
May 21, 2007

K-on! and Tamako Market have women leading in both those positions.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

Are there any good anime shows with women directors or writers?
Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

Lupin the Third: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine?

The same director also worked on Michiko and Hatchin. Both are quality shows!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Going back to the S;G, R;N discussion earlier, would you guys say R;N is still worth the watch? I've already watched S;G and it's definitely one of my favorite animes, but I really haven't heard anything about R;N.

I've also heard that the various VN's that those guys make are in the same universe in some way. Is that true? If so, are there similar parallels between S;G and R;N (without giving anything away)?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't know about Chaos;Head, but Robotics;Notes is definitely in the same universe. In a 'a couple of characters from S;G show up/are mentioned' way.

That said R;N is a very, very different anime from S;G. I thought it was pretty good, but it wasn't much like S;G.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
At the end of the day, would you say that R;N is worth watching? From what people said before, it's a definite no for C;H.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'd say it's worth a watch on its own merits, just don't, well, expect it to be Steins;Gate 2 or anything. I don't even mean that in a quality sense, I mean that in a 'it's tone is a lot different and it just feels different in general' way.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
On a somewhat related note, what's the word on the Steins;Gate movie that came out last month? Any idea when it's getting a sub/dub and will be available in the US (if it isn't already)?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

ViggyNash posted:

On a somewhat related note, what's the word on the Steins;Gate movie that came out last month? Any idea when it's getting a sub/dub and will be available in the US (if it isn't already)?

Haven't heard about an official U.S. release yet...but second-hand information indicates the movie is pretty good, if you do want more Steins;Gate.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations for a good soccer/tennis sports anime? I've watched pretty much 0 sports anime so throw them at me.

It can be pretty much anything. Just people playing tennis or soccer to super moves with rackets exploding or goals being destroyed.

vv
Thanks, all! I'll give them a shot.

FaintlyQuaint fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 21, 2013

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Uh, for soccer, I would say:
Captain Tsubasa
Whistle
Giant Killing (it's on Crunchyroll last time I checked)

I also know that Inazuma Eleven is soccer.

For Tennis, the only one I know of is Prince of Tennis (also on CR)

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The only football anime worth watching is probably Giant Killing.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Any recommendations for a good soccer/tennis sports anime?
Aim for the Ace. Osamu Dezaki directed tennis anime based on a 70s shoujo manga. Fully subbed as of last year. The first couple episodes of Gunbuster are a beat for beat homage to it.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Any recommendations for a good soccer/tennis sports anime? I've watched pretty much 0 sports anime so throw them at me.

It can be pretty much anything. Just people playing tennis or soccer to super moves with rackets exploding or goals being destroyed.

vv

Don't watch Captain Tsubasa if you're not a latin american kid.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!

FaintlyQuaint posted:

vv

Giant Killing is an actual realistic approach to soccer/football anime, from the perspective of a manager. Personally I hate over the top sport animes so I really liked this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cisneros posted:

Don't watch Captain Tsubasa if you're not a latin american kid.
What if you are a Latin American kid?

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Endorph posted:

What if you are a Latin American kid?

Then you already saw it.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

cisneros posted:

Then you already saw it.

This is very true. And there's no subs for it in english past episode 27 or so anyway, so you'd have to be one to watch the episodes dubbed in spanish since the entire series is pretty much only available that way.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What's all this Captain Tsubasa nonsense you guys keep bringing up? If there is one series every Latin American kid saw back in the early-to-mid 90's, it was Super Campeones, starring Tsubasa Oozora Oliver Atom and Genzo Wakabayashi Benji Price. With the most rocking intro we could ever hope to deal with.

And yes, they left the italian credits at the beginning and end. It was also especially awesome to catch the few times they actually left the original Japanese credits with a different song altogether. :mexico:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Finished up Texhnolyze recently. Anything else out there like that and Ergo Proxy? By the way would someone who knows more about Buddhism than me (i.e. anything at all) give me some insight into Texhnolyze?

In addition to that, I'm trying to find this anime based on one scene I caught on Cartoon Network many years ago. I remember kids in Japanese fox masks running around in a cyberpunk as gently caress city with neon lights everywhere playing hide and seek. There may have been a monster hunting them down. Anyone have an idea what I'm thinking of?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Wark Say posted:

What's all this Captain Tsubasa nonsense you guys keep bringing up? If there is one series every Latin American kid saw back in the early-to-mid 90's, it was Super Campeones, starring Tsubasa Oozora Oliver Atom and Genzo Wakabayashi Benji Price. With the most rocking intro we could ever hope to deal with.

Unfortunately, there's nothing that can bring back the experience of watching Japanese teens run across endless soccer fields every afternoon, waiting for them to try and pull off just another ridiculous stunt or super move right before each episode ended. It's really the sort of thing that's best left as a memory.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

muike posted:

In addition to that, I'm trying to find this anime based on one scene I caught on Cartoon Network many years ago. I remember kids in Japanese fox masks running around in a cyberpunk as gently caress city with neon lights everywhere playing hide and seek. There may have been a monster hunting them down. Anyone have an idea what I'm thinking of?

That's Kakurenbo

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

I just finished Kemono no Shouja Erin and my heart is crushed. It ended like an hour ago, I'm still sobbing. I need something genki as gently caress to cheer me up.

What's a genuinely good heartwarming story you'd recommend? Some comedy too, would be appreciated.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sounds like you need a prescription of slice and life:

Yotsuba&! (This is a manga but you will literally not find anything better than this for what you're asking for)
Azumanga Daioh
ARIA
Hidamari Sketch
K-ON!

Some of those you have probably already seen, but it's never a bad time to re-read some Yotsuba.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Sounds like you need a prescription of slice and life:

Yotsuba&! (This is a manga but you will literally not find anything better than this for what you're asking for)
Azumanga Daioh
ARIA
Hidamari Sketch
K-ON!

Some of those you have probably already seen, but it's never a bad time to re-read some Yotsuba.

indeed, i've seen them. valium is helping. any other?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Tsuritama is a great source of feel good as well.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 22, 2013

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

akarin posted:

Yama no Susume (Encouragement of Climb)
Sketchbook ~full color's~

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Sketchbook: Full Color's and Kamichu are some other decent happy slice of life shows.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

akarin posted:

You could try Working!! if you haven't seen it already.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

akarin posted:

Squid girl, you have probably seem.
Yoshiraku, was overlooked by lots of people.

Also, the current season's K-On clones ( Aiura and Yuyushiki) are pretty good.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Sonata Mused posted:

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.
Yes, it's extremely comforting.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

While not my personal favorite, Acchi Kocchi should fit the bill.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Man am I glad that I ended up watching Robotics;Notes. It has a lot of Steins;Gate's style and humor, the two things that really made S;G so great.

Also, I completely lost it at Aki's "Gendo Pose".

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

akarin posted:

Planetes, if you get all happy thinking about space.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I think Space Bros would also fit the bill, then.

• Locked thread