Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Just bought Roastmaster for iOS, I guess the obsessiveness has begun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving

Fake Ken Rockwell posted:

Any recommendations on roast subscription services? Non-espresso.

I see Counter Culture has a single origin subscription for ~$25/month for 2 12-oz bags. I will probably get this one unless there is anything better you guys recommend?

Props for the photography analogy in the OP.

Chemex for life, btw. :smug:

I did the tonx subscription for a while and it was fun getting different kinds of coffee I've never had before and the quality was fantastic, but it's $38/month for 2 12-oz bags. I think I subscribed for about 3 months and then decided to just roast at home.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

kim jong-illin posted:

I've been using an inverted Aeropress method for my morning brew for a while now but today I forgot to put the filter cap on before I flipped it. Not the best idea I've ever had.

I have an Aeropress. I have never heard of the inverted method. Now I cannot wait to get home and try this out - Thank you, you're sacrifice has not been in vain.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
This is the one I use - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXWH7wcexiY

You'll need to tinker with the grind size to work out what works best because there's no way to judge the final product without finishing the entire process. I ended up going one revolution out from the smallest grind possible on a Hario Skereton.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I thought the main reason to do inverted was getting the oils to push out of the top instead of being trapped in the grinds at the end?

I can't figure out what benefit that youtube has over the regular way and I would really like to be enlightened.

edit: Ohhh its probably because of the little drips at the beginning.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
^^^
I believe it also has to do with infusion: the aeropress likes to drip somewhat if you put it down normally. Inverted, the grounds are fully immersed in the right amount of water for the whole duration of the brew.

Regarding inversion mishaps, I also had a case where I put on the filter cap, but didn't twist it enough to lock it in. :v:
Then there was that one time while flipping I didn't hold it properly so it sort of split in half, spraying grounds everywhere.

EDIT ARRGH BEATEN BY THE POSTER HIMSELF

EDIT 2: VVV Yes it is.

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 20, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Inversion method just looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

it can be if the plunger gets nudged to make an angle with the sleeve which breaks the seal. I side with Tom of sweet marias in that I think that the inversion method is meh. ymmv.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Pour over, aeropress then a chemex is the circuit I run beans/roasts I'm new to through. It's really great seeing what you can bring out of different beans. Overall chemex is probably my favorite still.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

Exactly - what making coffee needs, more danger and risk!

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

porktree posted:

Exactly - what making coffee needs, more danger and risk!

Alternately, if you aren't seeking adventure in life through your ritual of making coffee (without the aid of caffeine), just do a Clever..

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Mandalay posted:

Alternately, if you aren't seeking adventure in life through your ritual of making coffee (without the aid of caffeine), just do a Clever..

You haven't tried the inverted Clever method before?! You're missing out :D

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
Now someone just has to figure out a way to incorporate dangerous and hopefully poisonous animals into the process.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I'll start work on genetically engineering an envenomed palm civet immediately.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
If you think of an inverted aeropress as "dangerous", maybe you're more of a tea person.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Mu Zeta posted:

FWIW, the only time I've burned myself using an Aeropress was when I was holding the filter cap and poured some hot water into it to rinse the filter. Inverting the Aeropress itself is actually quite easy.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
If you take good care of the rubber seal on the Aeropress (don't leave it in the barrel when not in use, wash and dry it immediately after use, don't use metal spoons for stirring etc), there's no risk of it leaking when you use it inverted. The only two problems are forgetting to put the filter cap on prior to flipping it over, and not keeping a solid grip on the plunger and the barrel at the same time (the plunger can come out and then you lose pressure).

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Y'all a bunch of pussies. I had my gaggia boiler wired up all ghetto like on the kitchen counter like a mad scientist, greatly endangering myself with the risk of electrocution, and you guys are worried about 1 cup of boiling water? Pshaw I say.

e:

e2: kidding aside when I get home I'll.post a pic of the pile of parts I bought, and how the boiler looks now. I'm waiting for some replacement seals to come in then I'll be able to brew some coffee :hellyeah:

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 21, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

kim jong-illin posted:

If you take good care of the rubber seal on the Aeropress (don't leave it in the barrel when not in use, wash and dry it immediately after use, don't use metal spoons for stirring etc), there's no risk of it leaking when you use it inverted. The only two problems are forgetting to put the filter cap on prior to flipping it over, and not keeping a solid grip on the plunger and the barrel at the same time (the plunger can come out and then you lose pressure).

I mentioned it before, but if the angle between the plunger and the sleeve is ajar then it will leak. There really is no reason to invert at all if you know how to brew coffee in the slightest. You drip maybe 5 mL. maaaaaaaybe. and that's if you hamfist and can't pour for poo poo. I take my grind pretty fine for the AP so that might be part of it. I don't get the people doing coarse grinds and 3 min extractions in AP, it's not a presspot. Of course, I guess, if you're after presspot like extraction, then inverted is the way to go, but like I said, this isn't the best apparatus for doing that. The strength of the AP is the convenience of the apparatus, the speed of the extraction, and its forgiveness of lower than ideal temperatures. I pretty much prefer V60 or CCD if I'm at home with the right gear.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
The majority of the winning baristas at the worldwide Aeropress championships use the inverted method and they do it because it produces better tasting coffee. The manufacturer's recommended method produces a weak coffee without much taste coming through, by inverting it you get to control the immersion time and bring out more of the flavours.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

kim jong-illin posted:

The majority of the winning baristas at the worldwide Aeropress championships use the inverted method and they do it because it produces better tasting coffee. The manufacturer's recommended method produces a weak coffee without much taste coming through, by inverting it you get to control the immersion time and bring out more of the flavours.

yeah, well, Gordon Ramsay doesn't know how to use a knife hone and Dennis Chambers can't read music. "So and so does something" is a pretty weak argument. Proper extraction is the outcome of a multitude of variables. Does V60 suck because you can't control immersion time? no.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
To me the inverted aeropress technique is the ideal brewing method to maximize body/mouth feel while preserving the majority of the brighter notes in light roasted coffee that are very easy to lose in a press. Also it's a single serving.

mystes
May 31, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

yeah, well, Gordon Ramsay doesn't know how to use a knife hone and Dennis Chambers can't read music. "So and so does something" is a pretty weak argument.
I'm pretty sure that saying that someone won a competition by using the inverted method isn't the same thing as saying "someone famous advocates the inverted method so it must be good"?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

To me the inverted aeropress technique is the ideal brewing method to maximize body/mouth feel while preserving the majority of the brighter notes in light roasted coffee that are very easy to lose in a press. Also it's a single serving.
There's a Japanese method I've been doing for a while that is kind of weirdly easy when I'm in a lazy mood, and it's not inverted. I use it any time I'm making a lighter roast, and despite it seeming just absolutely lazy and horrible I urge people to try. It's super simple. Take 17g of drip grind coffee (I use about a 20 on my Maestro Plus) and put it directly into the Aeropress (obviously, rinse the filter properly first) before pouring just off the boil coffee up to the 4 line. Stir for 10 seconds, so the water drips down to the 3 line, then pour back up to the 4 and press immediately. I think it winds up using about 210g water. It's the lazy day I-don't-care Aeropress and it's bizarrely good for something so simple.

e: This method won a competition too, sooooo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

This is how I got the machine:

This is how the boiler looks now, all cleaned up:

Significant pitting, inherent to the design of the machine.

I've sanded the bottom of the boiler a bit using wet 600 grit sandpaper on a glass cutting board. The result is much better than it was. I don't think it's much use sanding it down further, the pitting is pretty deep. I'm happy with the result as it is.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

yeah, well, Gordon Ramsay doesn't know how to use a knife hone and Dennis Chambers can't read music. "So and so does something" is a pretty weak argument. Proper extraction is the outcome of a multitude of variables. Does V60 suck because you can't control immersion time? no.

What are you going on about?

Your examples have nothing to do with mine: multiple baristas have won the world Aeropress championship using the inverted method because the judges felt it produced the best quality coffee. The whole point of inverting it is to give you more control over some of the variables involved in proper extraction.

It sounds like you're just being a hardcore snob about anyone not doing it the way you consider to be "right", which is just sad.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

kim jong-illin posted:

What are you going on about?

Your examples have nothing to do with mine: multiple baristas have won the world Aeropress championship using the inverted method because the judges felt it produced the best quality coffee. The whole point of inverting it is to give you more control over some of the variables involved in proper extraction.

It sounds like you're just being a hardcore snob about anyone not doing it the way you consider to be "right", which is just sad.

nah, I was just arguing against "ONETRUE"-ism. You're not mentioning that the most famous of these WORLD AEROPRESS CHAMPIONS won by brewing V60 into an inverted Aero, then plunging.

The examples were to show that it is the artisan not the tool or the method that gets the job done or win the accolade.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 21, 2013

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Just got my Breville Smart Grinder and ran the first shot with it. I had issues getting it to grind anything on the lowest couple settings, not sure what's up there, but I backed off to like the 5th finest and it worked great and the grind was quite fine even at that setting. The shot pulled great, better than anything I've gotten with my Capresso Infinity. Much richer and smoother shot with a thicker crema. Really excited to dial this thing in and get the process down with my machine.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006
Any recommendation for a sub $200 espresso machine? The wife wants one but I don't want to shell out a lot of money until I know that she will use it enough to make it worthwhile.

Thanks

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

rockcity posted:

Just got my Breville Smart Grinder and ran the first shot with it. I had issues getting it to grind anything on the lowest couple settings, not sure what's up there, but I backed off to like the 5th finest and it worked great and the grind was quite fine even at that setting. The shot pulled great, better than anything I've gotten with my Capresso Infinity. Much richer and smoother shot with a thicker crema. Really excited to dial this thing in and get the process down with my machine.
Not grinding on tightest settings... Maybe sticky oily grounds failing to drop through? Not had an issue with mine even wound up tight with the shim kit added.

ShadowStalker posted:

Any recommendation for a sub $200 espresso machine?
Secondhand. Espresso machines need a lot of expensive metal inside (boilers, groups, portafilters) - the cheapest new machines are all pretty rubbishy IMHO as the economics involved don't allow them to have proper components. Rancillio or gaggia classic are regarded as entry level for espresso - far better to find an old machine if you can't stretch to those prices.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

dusty posted:

Not grinding on tightest settings... Maybe sticky oily grounds failing to drop through? Not had an issue with mine even wound up tight with the shim kit added.

That was my first thought, but this was coffee I'd roasted 5 hours prior, so the oils barely even had any time to really form so the coffee is still pretty dry. It's only about a FC roast anyway so it's shouldn't be that oily. The unit should have the shim kit already installed as they started doing that by default a few months ago on all new units. Maybe you need to run some coffee through at a lower setting to sort of grease the wheels so to speak. I started off trying the finest setting and it was definitely grinding, but nothing was coming out. I took off the hopper and the beans that were in the gears had quite a bit of ground coffee mixed in with them, so it was certainly getting some action going. After I did get the thing going though the results were great and I really like the portafilter holder.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

dusty posted:

Secondhand. Espresso machines need a lot of expensive metal inside (boilers, groups, portafilters) - the cheapest new machines are all pretty rubbishy IMHO as the economics involved don't allow them to have proper components. Rancillio or gaggia classic are regarded as entry level for espresso - far better to find an old machine if you can't stretch to those prices.

I guess I'll stretch to the $300 for the Gaggia Classic from Amazon then. She just better use the drat thing.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

ShadowStalker posted:

I guess I'll stretch to the $300 for the Gaggia Classic from Amazon then. She just better use the drat thing.

What's your grinder? What about your beans? You may get some poor quality espresso if you do not start with freshly roasted beans that are properly ground.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Hollis Brown posted:

What's your grinder? What about your beans? You may get some terrible tasting espresso if you do not start with a quality product that is properly ground.

My wife's dad orders beans and roasts them for her. I don't really know where they are from as I don't really drink coffee GASP! She also likes the fair trade Guatemalan from Target (Archer Farms brand). We have a Capresso Infinity Grinder that we currently use for coffee.

I guess I should clarify, I'll drink coffee but not when it's hot. I'm not a hot beverage or soup person I guess, but I'll drink iced coffee and the rest of her coffee when it's cooled down to room temp.

ShadowStalker fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 22, 2013

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

rockcity posted:

That was my first thought, but this was coffee I'd roasted 5 hours prior, so the oils barely even had any time to really form so the coffee is still pretty dry.
Not to be an anally retentive pedant, butttt..... You should let your beans rest for at least a day before using them for espresso; you'll get a much better tasting shot. If you use them for espresso before degassing (C02 is released) then the combo of heat and pressure will form small amounts of carbolic acid. 24 hours is on the short side, but I've found it works for me.

If I'm making a vac-pot, without the pressure, 12 hours seems fine, but I'm sure it's not optimal.

Others will correct me with longer times - I respectfully disagree :)

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

ShadowStalker posted:

My wife's dad orders beans and roasts them for her. I don't really know where they are from as I don't really drink coffee GASP! She also likes the fair trade Guatemalan from Target (Archer Farms brand). We have a Capresso Infinity Grinder that we currently use for coffee.

I guess I should clarify, I'll drink coffee but not when it's hot. I'm not a hot beverage or soup person I guess, but I'll drink iced coffee and the rest of her coffee when it's cooled down to room temp.

As far as supermarket brands go, if you have a local Trader Joe's, their Ethiopia peaberry is not bad.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

ShadowStalker posted:

Keep an eye out for the warehouse deals for a bargain. Also a non pressured basket and a decent tamper are must haves that don't come with the unit. The plastic tamper it comes with is useless.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

porktree posted:

Not to be an anally retentive pedant, butttt..... You should let your beans rest for at least a day before using them for espresso; you'll get a much better tasting shot. If you use them for espresso before degassing (C02 is released) then the combo of heat and pressure will form small amounts of carbolic acid. 24 hours is on the short side, but I've found it works for me.

If I'm making a vac-pot, without the pressure, 12 hours seems fine, but I'm sure it's not optimal.

Others will correct me with longer times - I respectfully disagree :)

Oh trust me, I know. I never brew anything earlier than about 12 hours after roasting. This was just me being impatient with my new grinder and that I didn't have time to roast the day before. I gave the grinds a couple minutes to let off some more gas before I pulled the shot to help out a bit.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do I use my CCD? Someone posted a guide a long time ago but I can't search. How small should my grinds be and how long should I wait to start draining it?

e: vvv that was the first thing I checked but it says to drain it at 4 minutes and I remember everybody else says to drain it before then so that it finishes at 4 minutes. I guess I could experent with old beans to get the timing right…

There was also a PDF someone linked a while ago that shows high resolution pictures of how coarse/fine grinds should be for different methods. Does anyone have that!

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaBo_FiSH
Feb 22, 2003
I have been using the guide someone posted from Sweet Maria's and adjusting things slightly. I think its a good place to start.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/clevercoffeedripperpictorial.php