Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

If my stick broke so bizarrely I might just bring it home, too. As it is, all of my breaks have happened in more traditional manner - low down on the shaft. Did yours just randomly break like that for no apparent reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

bewbies posted:

This is me too. I've thought for a long time that I had a slight advantage (very slight) over most american players because so many of them have the dominant hand on the bottom (thanks baseball).

if you can make a choice then definitely put your dominant hand on top.

Outside any physical preferences, I am a righty who always found it natural to play right handed because having the [insert projectile here] on my right side is how I've always oriented in every sport that uses a tool. I bat right, play tennis / badminton (both of which I played competitively in my school years) / racquetball / table tennis right-handed, play soccer right footed, lacrosse right handed, etc... So my spatial perception has essentially been conditioned to orient around my right side.

So I don't just play hockey right handed (because it feels natural), I think the game right handed.

And there is no real difference in efficacy. While having your dominant hand on top or on the bottom have different advantages, they are outweighed by going with what feels right.

If there was any real advantage in one method over other, you'd rarely see NHL players with dominant hands down.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 20, 2013

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Most Canadian players shoot with their dominant hand on top. If it's good enough for the Canadianese :colbert:

My best guess is the difference between the US/Canada preference differential is baseball.

/left-handed. shoots right. bats left. golfs right, becuase gently caress do you have any idea how expensive left-handed golf clubs are?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Dangerllama posted:

Most Canadian players shoot with their dominant hand on top. If it's good enough for the Canadianese :colbert:

My best guess is the difference between the US/Canada preference differential is baseball.

/left-handed. shoots right. bats left. golfs right, becuase gently caress do you have any idea how expensive left-handed golf clubs are?

Yeah but it's a mostly Canadian thing (ie: even European players don't have the same tendency) and I'm willing to bet it's based entirely on someone's hokey pseudoscientific reasoning that got turned into accepted wisdom.

Also, I don't quite get how some of you bat one way but shoot another. Ignoring the absolute position of your hands, if you think about it relatively, it's the same thing (right hand closer to the point of contact and acting as the lever).

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
It has always made sense to me that the top hand is your dominant hand in hockey since it does the majority of the work.

-When you dribble a puck, the top hand is doing most of the work, the bottom hand is loosely guiding the stick.
-When you stick handle, the top hand is still doing most of the work with the pushes, pulls, drags, and dekes.
-When you reach for a puck one handed, its your top hand that has the stick in it.
-Why would it make sense to make your non- dominant hand in charge of all the most important functions of playing?

It doesn't really matter because its what you are familiar and comfortable with, but its interesting regardless.

I write with my right hand
golf right
snowboard regular (left foot forward)
bat right
throw right
catch left
play hockey left
play goalie right (stick in right hand, catch left)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Verman posted:

It has always made sense to me that the top hand is your dominant hand in hockey since it does the majority of the work.

Doesn't matter in the long run unless you're a furious masturbator who's overdeveloped one arm. If you do any kind of weight lifting, the muscles in both arms are going to have identical capacities. Comfort when learning a new skill is all that matters.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

xzzy posted:

Doesn't matter in the long run unless you're a furious masturbator who's overdeveloped one arm. If you do any kind of weight lifting, the muscles in both arms are going to have identical capacities. Comfort when learning a new skill is all that matters.

I wasn't referring to muscle strength or capacity, just hand favoritism. When you have a hand that does the majority of the touchy/feely/dexterity related things in hockey, why wouldn't someone choose their dominant hand to do those tasks? People are generally more coordinated with their dominant hand versus the opposite despite their muscles being of the same size and strength.

Thats all I'm saying. There are anomalies all over the place of course, but I was just tossing my personal reasoning around.

And whose to say I'm not all lopsided one arm Popeye jerk off dude with sick dangles? One arm for the rough nights, the other for when I get romantic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oh well when you said "majority of the work" I took that to mean you were concerned about strength. :v:

I think people put way too much value in handedness in general, as near as I can tell more of our effectiveness comes from training muscle memory than some hardwired preference in our brain.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Naw, I'm convinced. I've shot left all my life, but I'm switching now. It's science.

Gio fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 20, 2013

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Habibi posted:

If my stick broke so bizarrely I might just bring it home, too. As it is, all of my breaks have happened in more traditional manner - low down on the shaft. Did yours just randomly break like that for no apparent reason?

Nope! Took a 2 handed slash because the guy was pissed I made him look stupid in the corner and knocked him down twice.

Write: Left
Shoot: Righ
Golf : Right
Bat: Right
Throw: left
Goalie: backwards

I so badly want to play guitar but I cant get myself to do it the 'correct way' I'd have to get a left handed guitar which is dumb because you cant really play someone elses guitar, or learn to play upside down like I know some people do but how do you find someone to teach you that?

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I shoot left, golf left, shovel snow left, sweep left, always want my left hand to go underhand in mixed-grip deadlifts, etc. etc. I have no memory whatsoever of swinging a softball bat, even though I played on a beer league for a couple of seasons and I do recall running bases (I guess the beer was good).

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I had this talk with LBH at the rink, although it looks like Im not the only mixed up one. Im right handed, as in I write with that hand, but growing up my dad taught me to bat left. So I ended up being more comfortable playing hockey left, and still do, also putting too. But when I learned to play with the rest of the clubs in golf, the guy teaching me only had right handed clubs so I drive and chip right, skateboarded normal right footed, shoot guns/bows right handed. Also growing up left handed sticks weren't always around, so doing street hockey or shooting tennis balls in my friends driveway I could use a right handed stick when I needed to. I can throw a football with both hands, farther with my right hand but a better spiral with the left. I feel awkward trying to bat right though, can use both hands to beat off. Got invited to a private pickup game tonight with some of the guys from the Saturday night pickup, its late though at 11:30 Ill see how that feels.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

D C posted:

I so badly want to play guitar but I cant get myself to do it the 'correct way' I'd have to get a left handed guitar which is dumb because you cant really play someone elses guitar, or learn to play upside down like I know some people do but how do you find someone to teach you that?

Just do it, guitar is at least as hard as hockey and as rewarding. Don't wait until you're a fossil filled with nothing but regret.

Budget for a $300-$400 Fender and go nuts.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Verman posted:

It's funny, because this is exactly why it seems natural to me that you would put your dominant hand - the more precise, coordinated, dexterous one - close to the business end of the stick, the part you are trying to finally manipulate. In pretty much every example you used, the bottom hand was performing the finer detail - guiding the stick - while the top was providing power - pulling, dragging, moving, etc.

When you write do you hold your pen by the very top?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Habibi posted:

It's funny, because this is exactly why it seems natural to me that you would put your dominant hand - the more precise, coordinated, dexterous one - close to the business end of the stick, the part you are trying to finally manipulate. In pretty much every example you used, the bottom hand was performing the finer detail - guiding the stick - while the top was providing power - pulling, dragging, moving, etc.

When you write do you hold your pen by the very top?

when you hold a hockey stick with one hand do you do it with your bottom hand?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I barely even grip the stick with my bottom hand. I may screw a million other things up, but every coach who's watched me says I do a great job with keeping the low hand loose and doing most everything with the top hand.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

D C posted:

when you hold a hockey stick with one hand do you do it with your bottom hand?

Sometimes. But I wasn't making any claims - just pointing out that both approaches have grounding in logical and common sense. If you read my previous posts you'll see I advocate going with whatever feels more comfortable, as I don't buy into the crap about one being more correct or proper than the other. I think both have obstacles that need to be overcome, and I think what's going to make you the best player/stickhandler isn't choosing one or the other, but choosing the one that's going to best help you get past those obstacles, and that is most likely to be whichever naturally feels best.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 21, 2013

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Two of the guys in our league had their houses destroyed in the tornado that hit OKC today. One had a daughter that was in one of the schools that got wiped out but she'd been evacuated before it hit.

Not a good day today at all :(

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

bewbies posted:

Two of the guys in our league had their houses destroyed in the tornado that hit OKC today. One had a daughter that was in one of the schools that got wiped out but she'd been evacuated before it hit.

Not a good day today at all :(

poo poo, that sucks :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On my way into practice tonight, ran into a goalie I've seen around the area a lot and he's all "so don't know if you heard, but my wife died."

I'm all "uh, so how you holding up?"

"Not great, probably gonna lose the house."

:smith:

"So.. have a good game I guess?"

What the gently caress do you say to something like that? Feel bad for the guy, but that's just one of those conversations you never expect to hear on the way into the rink. He did seem pretty upbeat about playing, he's this awesome grey haired stoner and he loves the poo poo out of being in goal. Sounds like hockey's the only thing that keeps him optimistic which I guess is a good thing.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm a right handed shot (and right handed) but always played with my left hand on top. I dunno why, I just literally can't play the other way. Every single year a coach would put a left handed stick in my hand in practice and it would be horrible and they'd just be like "ok do whatever" but playing with my right hand on top just doesn't work.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 21, 2013

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

xzzy posted:

What the gently caress do you say to something like that? Feel bad for the guy, but that's just one of those conversations you never expect to hear on the way into the rink. He did seem pretty upbeat about playing, he's this awesome grey haired stoner and he loves the poo poo out of being in goal. Sounds like hockey's the only thing that keeps him optimistic which I guess is a good thing.

Basically nothing I guess. I had a bit of a personal crisis that I've been dealing with since late Feb, and I know that I shouldn't tell people poo poo like that, but sometimes it just blurts out and completely kills the mood, His brain probably still isnt working right since that happened.

It took me almost 2 months to get control of my brain again.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I'm right handed and shoot right, I'm an American.

I couldn't fathom going lefty because I wouldn't know how to move my body/balance to shoot from that side.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
First game last night with the 70-flex intermediate Warrior Widow that I just got. It is...flexy. Noticeably lighter than what I had been using too.

Doctor Butts posted:

I couldn't fathom going lefty because I wouldn't know how to move my body/balance to shoot from that side.

Pretty much this for me too.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Lost both my game 3s last night. One was an 8-4 drubbing because the team lied to the league owner and brought in a ringer, the other was a heartbreaking 5-4 loss where we were ahead 4-3 with 3min left and proceeded to take 2 penalties. They scored the game winner with 18 seconds left.

Handedness chat:

Bat: Right
Write: Right
Throw: Right
Shoot: Right

When I was little I was left-hand dominant but my mom "trained" me to use my right hand for everything. I've tried switching to a left shot but it seemed weird to have my right hand on top.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

Doctor Butts posted:

Yes. It's so much more about the stance than the arm motions--my torso and legs know how to set up and follow through because I've been doing that with a baseball bat and a golf club and basically every other piece of sporting equipment since I was four. I'd rather lose a bit from hand dominance than have to totally relearn stance (even if I were picking up a hockey stick for the first time). The stance thing also helps with puck protection on my forehand (although it also makes me naturally bad at puck protection on my backhand).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Went to the Weekend Warrior hockey camp in Tahoe this weekend. Spent 12 hours on the ice and and learned that my skates have an outside edge. We came home and had 2 league games. My body feels like it got hit by a train.

Good times.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I still can't find my outside edges.

I know they're there, I can feel them sometimes, but putting any weight on them continually eludes me. :smith:

Every once in a while I get a few good crossovers in and I'm all "woohoo I'm starting to get it" and then the next time I land on my rear end.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

xzzy posted:

I know they're there, I can feel them sometimes, but putting any weight on them continually eludes me. :smith:

Every once in a while I get a few good crossovers in and I'm all "woohoo I'm starting to get it" and then the next time I land on my rear end.

Literally go to public skating, and skate along the side of the rink holding onto the boards and forcing your foot onto the outside edge, then progressively doing it with less and less of the board, until you can skate that way. Then do it with the other side.

That was how I learned it, anyway.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

xzzy posted:

You ever have a chance to do Russian circles? I feel like that really helps since by the end you've got so much momentum going you almost can't help yourself.

Not that I'm ever on my outside edge in a real game situation vs. 100% flat of the blade on the inside foot. :doh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pinky Artichoke posted:

You ever have a chance to do Russian circles? I feel like that really helps since by the end you've got so much momentum going you almost can't help yourself.

At least once a week!

My edge use is improving.. just not as fast as I'd like. It's only frustrating because it feels like it's holding me back and I want to get to that proverbial "next level."

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Caveat: I do not own a hockey stick nor have I ever shot a puck.

I've spent a bit of time learning how to skate and will soon be grabbing a stick so that I can finally begin a few shots. It's been suggested to me that I should shoot in the direction that is favored when doing a hockey stop. I write, golf, throw, and everything else right handed but I'm goofy footed (right foot in front) when it comes to movement sports. Because of this, I can stop really well to the left but am not nearly as smooth to the right. I know that I can overcome it as I get better at skating but in the end I think I'll always be naturally better at shooting left.

This seems to me like it'll have a much bigger effect than dominant hand ever could, it's just convenient that it coincides with that hand being on top.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 22, 2013

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman

xzzy posted:

I can do right-over left crossovers all day, but left over right left? After one or two I also land on my rear end if I don't stop. It'll come in time but ugh. I feel your pain.

Fingers McGee posted:

Got invited to a private pickup game tonight with some of the guys from the Saturday night pickup, its late though at 11:30 Ill see how that feels.

How did it go?

loving bro hug fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 22, 2013

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

loving bro hug posted:

I can do right-over left crossovers all day, but left over right left? After one or two I also land on my rear end if I don't stop. It'll come in time but ugh. I feel your pain.

How did it go?

I had a blast, we were short 6 people so after the first 30m I was pretty tired, but I cant complain about all that ice time.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Teeter posted:

Caveat: I do not own a hockey stick nor have I ever shot a puck.

I've spent a bit of time learning how to skate and will soon be grabbing a stick so that I can finally begin a few shots. It's been suggested to me that I should shoot in the direction that is favored when doing a hockey stop. I write, golf, throw, and everything else right handed but I'm goofy footed (right foot in front) when it comes to movement sports. Because of this, I can stop really well to the left but am not nearly as smooth to the right. I know that I can overcome it as I get better at skating but in the end I think I'll always be naturally better at shooting left.

This seems to me like it'll have a much bigger effect than dominant hand ever could, it's just convenient that it coincides with that hand being on top.

Go to a store and hold some sticks and pretend to shoot a puck a few times. You'll figure out pretty quickly what side hand you should have.

FWIW I do everything right handed but am goofy footed when snowboarding, and I stop to the left more strongly when I stop, but I'm a right handed shot.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Looks like putting together a tournament this weekend to help out the guys who had their homes destroyed in the tornado. The rink gave the ice for free all day Sun and Mon. Pretty cool, that.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

bewbies posted:

Looks like putting together a tournament this weekend to help out the guys who had their homes destroyed in the tornado. The rink gave the ice for free all day Sun and Mon. Pretty cool, that.

Thats really cool. Hope you guys get a big turnout to help out.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Had a hockey clinic tonight, which turned into 20 guys not paying attention to the coach and trying to watch the Bruins-Rangers game through the glass, through a window and over the heads of everyone gathered in the lobby.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Yeah, they really should just cancel those during the playoffs.

HookShot posted:

Go to a store and hold some sticks and pretend to shoot a puck a few times. You'll figure out pretty quickly what side hand you should have.

FWIW I do everything right handed but am goofy footed when snowboarding, and I stop to the left more strongly when I stop, but I'm a right handed shot.

I'm right-handed but my dad was left-handed so I learned all kinds of messed up things as a kid. I golf and and shoot left, my goalie gear will be full-right, and I would bat left if I played baseball but nobody wants a fielder who catches and throws with the same hand.

Thanks, Dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

The one time I honestly don't give a crap about the NHL playoffs is when I have skates on.