Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fake Ken Rockwell
May 13, 2013

Shot in Professional ("P" mode) and Auto ISO, as I and my pro friends always shoot

Musket posted:

I wonder if anyone ever did a study to determine if the sound a lens makes, affects its image quality.

It most certainly effects image quality if your subjects react to it (ie. you are taking candids, especially in a quiet environment).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bubbacub posted:

How is the focusing on the Canon 50mm f/1.4? I have a full set of primes, but I find myself avoiding 50mm because I don't want to hear the bzzt bzzt bzzt of the nifty fifty.

The autofocus system is kind of slow and fragile, but it’s quiet enough.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
One of the main reasons I sold my 50 1.8 and Tammy 17-50 was because they sounded awful.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Hm. If I want something that's not slow and fragile, is the Sigma 50 1.4 a better choice?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Platystemon posted:

I disagree with this as my 50 1.4 has almost always focused fast and accurately (350D, 30D, 1D2, 7D, 5D3). The only issue I ever had with it was when I dropped it 2.5 feet onto concrete. The AF system needed to be re-calibrated by Canon for about $100 and that was that.

Just be sure to get the hood for it and all will be well.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

CarrotFlowers posted:

One of the main reasons I sold my 50 1.8 and Tammy 17-50 was because they sounded awful.

I sold mine because the bees kept finding a way out.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

pseudonordic posted:

I disagree with this as my 50 1.4 has almost always focused fast and accurately (350D, 30D, 1D2, 7D, 5D3). The only issue I ever had with it was when I dropped it 2.5 feet onto concrete. The AF system needed to be re-calibrated by Canon for about $100 and that was that.

Just be sure to get the hood for it and all will be well.

I'll throw in a third point of view:

The 50 1.4 is accurate if you have a good body and if you are using a cross-type point for focusing.

I would not categorize it as quiet, or at least, it isn't ring-USM quiet. There are also hard stops on the focus ring when AF is engaged on the lens, unlike other (better) ring-USM Canon lenses that have real, non-lame full-time-manual focus.

2 copies of the Canon 50mm 1.4 I've used are also pretty soft until f2, but continue to improve to being very sharp by f2.8.

I guess what I'm saying is, I like, but don't love my 50mm 1.4.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Fake Ken Rockwell posted:

It most certainly effects image quality if your subjects react to it (ie. you are taking candids, especially in a quiet environment).

"I totally didn't notice the big, dumb, SLR wielding goon standing in the corner until his lens made a slight noise." --Said noone ever.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

As a fun aside I actually received a request from someone to gas this thread, so I guess lens noises make some people really angry for some reason :v:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Fake Ken Rockwell posted:

I have some Sandisk Extreme and some Transcend cards, and after using them both, I will be buying Transcend cards in the future. I don't do video at all and don't do a whole lot of burst, so I don't know if there would be a difference there or not.

Having recently got the SanDisk EXXXTRREME MAX 2000 whatever it is because it was on sale for $10 more than the average 64GB card I can say in camera they make no noticeable difference in camera over other class 10 cards in my 60D as the camera can write fast enough to make advantage of it.

Copying to your computer, though is so drat fast.

Also backing up Kingston, they rock.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's too bad Rob Galbraith stopped updating their CF card database. It was fantastic for figuring out how fast a given card was compared to the competition. They'd also note if any cards had issues with specific tested cameras. After pouring over the tables for quite a while the Lexar 64gb 400x CF card wound up being a really good combo of price+performance on the D800. It's still up to date enough to be useful, but'll slowly become more and more irrelevant. For the time being I definitely recommend checking it out if you want to really know how a card stacks up: http://robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

Fake Ken Rockwell
May 13, 2013

Shot in Professional ("P" mode) and Auto ISO, as I and my pro friends always shoot

8th-samurai posted:

"I totally didn't notice the big, dumb, SLR wielding goon standing in the corner until his lens made a slight noise." --Said noone ever.

Let's say you are shooting a quiet and solemn wedding ceremony. Everyone knows a photographer is there, but no one wants to hear WHIRRRR DE DERRRR in the middle of the candle lighting ceremony. If you engage autofocus with something like the nifty fifty, you will get looked at. It's either a quiet lens or manual focus in a situation like this. I'm sure there are other examples, but this is the most canonical one I can think of.

In some situations you may not even be able to use the camera if it's that loud (of course this rule bans all SLRs anyway)

Fake Ken Rockwell fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 20, 2013

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
I bring out my nifty fifty when I'm shooting bees so as to better blend in with the environment. "Be the bee" as it were.

Bzzz.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
One time I was out in public with my 50mm and was unable to take a photograph because the absurd whirring of my lens convinced all of the people in the area that I was a famous dubstep musician. They swarmed me rending my clothes and demanding autographs. My inability to quietly take a photo that day still haunts me.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
One time I was shooting a silent film and my lens made a slight noise as it refocused and we had to reshoot the whole scene. Cost the producers a ton of money. That's why I invest in quiet lenses now!!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I was shooting a wedding in a courthouse once, very solemn ceremony. The proper M series gear was being used but I had made a grave mistake and eaten burritos for breakfast. The judge sentenced me to 10 years of doing the chicken dance for farting during the vows. It was awful.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

casa de mi padre posted:

One time I was shooting a silent film and my lens made a slight noise as it refocused and we had to reshoot the whole scene. Cost the producers a ton of money. That's why I invest in quiet lenses now!!

You used AF in movie mode and the noise was your biggest problem?

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

fivre posted:

You used AF in movie mode and the noise was your biggest problem?

Doesn't the T4i or the T5i do AF movie pretty competently?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

rcman50166 posted:

Doesn't the T4i or the T5i do AF movie pretty competently?

Yes.

Though he still wouldn't have had an STM lens so I'm not entirely sure.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

SoundMonkey posted:

As a fun aside I actually received a request from someone to gas this thread, so I guess lens noises make some people really angry for some reason :v:
It seems like a lot of people who don't like to talk about gear come in here and get upset when people want to talk about gear.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
First they came for our pic dump threads.
Then they came for our lovely photographer threads.
Then they came for our gear threads.
-Anne Frank

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Mightaswell posted:

First they came for our pic dump threads.
Then they came for our lovely photographer threads.
Then they came for our gear threads.
-Anne Frank

Who is "they" because I would like to send them a fruit basket.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

8th-samurai posted:

Who is "they" because I would like to send them a fruit basket.

:tinfoil: almost certainly the UV filter manufacturers cartel.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

casa de mi padre posted:

I bring out my nifty fifty when I'm shooting bees so as to better blend in with the environment. "Be the bee" as it were.

Bzzz.

Beads!?!?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
You certainly need a life raft when reading this thread, to get around the sea of unnecessary sarcasm.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
I disagree, sarcasm is the spice of life, and this is the spice sea.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

You certainly need a life raft when reading this thread, to get around the sea of unnecessary sarcasm.

I also disagree. This is SomethingAwful, sarcasm, irony, deliberate stupidity, bad jokes, mockery, and general internet-people type behaviour is central.

Take nothing so seriously you cannot point-and-laugh at it.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

I also disagree. This is SomethingAwful, sarcasm, irony, deliberate stupidity, bad jokes, mockery, and general internet-people type behaviour is central.

I wish we had the "point and laugh at other photographers" thread back. Yeah, the old one went way off-course, but the amount of "pro" stuff I see posted on facebook on a daily basis is only getting worse and more hilarious.

edit: and to be somewhat on-topic, I was shooting a children's talent show last year where a number of the contestants were singing acapella. This one mother had a DSLR with some third-party 70-200 lens with a motor in it that sounded like an electric R.C. car. The whole time her daughter was up there, all you could hear was WHIRRRRRRR *click* WHIRRRRRRRR *click*.

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 21, 2013

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Has anyone seen any cases/pouches for a 5D that are only big enough for the body or the body and a pancake lens? The idea being that I keep the camera in a pouch in a bag I already carry around. The pouch just provides extra protection.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Bobx66 posted:

Has anyone seen any cases/pouches for a 5D that are only big enough for the body or the body and a pancake lens? The idea being that I keep the camera in a pouch in a bag I already carry around. The pouch just provides extra protection.

Look for an "everready case".

Or maybe http://www.lovecases.co.uk/optech-soft-neoprene-camera-pouch-d-slr-black.html

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
One time I tried to put a 24mm lens on a crop body and it wouldnt shoot. Sometimes i wish i hadnt sold my FF body. :smith:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

+1

Virtually every other photography internet place is so serious business we almost need the dorkroom to be the opposite

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

+1

Virtually every other photography internet place is so serious business we almost need the dorkroom to be the opposite
No one cares what you think, idiot.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No one cares what you think, idiot.

:smith:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nah just kidding buddy. You're a good photographer, an even better poster, and drat if you aren't handsome.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That bear avatar creeps me the gently caress out though.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
It's a little creepy when it looks like it's staring at a gyrating sex parrot.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I can't take this thread seriously, there isn't a signature feature so I can list all my lenses with a bolded red L.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Of course we have sigs on SA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It appears that I'm in need of a new one.