Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuestWhat
Nov 11, 2012
So I just recently beat the PS3 version of the game and got the ending where the Dark Ones save Artyom and the Rangers from destroying D6 and wipe out the Reds. I gonna assume it's the good ending. But either way, wow! I don't think I've ever felt so emotionally drained and satisfied with a game ending since Half Life 2. There were some segments that I had some issues with like the boss fight with the bear glitching up near the end but overall it was a good experience and was perfectly fine paying it full price on release (something I almost never do these days).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

I dunno, Wikipedia says the author of 'Metro2033' considers them "canon" and advertises them on his website, and his website seems to confirm that.

I'd guess it's a lot like the Lovecraft "expanded universe", where other authors just started chiming in and writing stories set in Lovecraft's universe and Lovecraft said "hey guys that's pretty cool, I'm glad you like my stuff and want to contribute to my world, sure you can play in my sandbox! :) ".

I'm still reading 'Metro 2033', and I've got 'Roadside Picnic' on deck for when I finish. :woop:

Takes place in England and is written by a British author, but still isn't available in English. :psyduck:

I think that on the guys website, you can submit your own "Metro" story, and if he likes it, he'll publish it.

And I do think there are references in the game to a Nuclear reactor in Siberia that's under constant attack by "barbarians".

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

I don't think I like this game anymore.

I spent the entirety of the catacombs with absolutely no ammo, monsters glitching the gently caress out and graphical problems.

And then this piece of poo poo boss breaks.

Goddamn it. Anyone else get this bug or is my copy just haunted.

The swamp + catacombs was the low point of the game for me (I just got out of the catacombs). The constant waves of bullet sponge monsters was a major drag after all those great stealth sections. Even after stocking up to over 200 assault rifle bullets at the church, I had only 2 handgun bullets left when that boss monster went down. Please tell me the rest of the game is free from that kind of stuff.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Huh. That is really weird. I was going for the good ending, so I made sure to make every single good choice, and killed like five people I didn't have to, tops, the whole game. I still got the bad ending. Does killing people during the final level detract from your moral score? It kind of seems like you have to, as they are rushing you.

I knocked out every single fucker in the game though, does that somehow give you bad points?

Edit: The dark one explicitly called me a good person too.

Samfucius fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 21, 2013

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Beat the game. Got the bad ending. why didn't anna fight the good fight at the end there? Miller had no problem risking her life earlier in the game, I was surprised to see her stay behind at polis. She can't have already known she was pregnant?

Also, miller's leg... :(

All in all, great game. Definitely my game of the year. Just can't believe how great everything looked. I hope we get more graphics of this caliber sooner than later.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Samfucius posted:

Huh. That is really weird. I was going for the good ending, so I made sure to make every single good choice, and killed like five people I didn't have to, tops, the whole game. I still got the bad ending. Does killing people during the final level detract from your moral score? It kind of seems like you have to, as they are rushing you.

I knocked out every single fucker in the game though, does that somehow give you bad points?

Edit: The dark one explicitly called me a good person too.
There's some obscure requirements you have to do, so click on every interactable thing that seems harmless. The first game had the same problem -- barely any kills, still got bad ending, until just finding a random stash with a bong throughout the playthrough apparently fixed it.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

There's some obscure requirements you have to do, so click on every interactable thing that seems harmless. The first game had the same problem -- barely any kills, still got bad ending, until just finding a random stash with a bong throughout the playthrough apparently fixed it.

The thing is, I did that. I explored every area, opened every box, played every instrument (even when enemies were like two feet away, I was loving committed), found all the ranger stashes, spared every life, saved every person that could be saved, returned the teddy bear... just ugh. The thing is, I know you are right. Somewhere out there is like one little cigar box with three ball bearings and a filter that I never found, and it is the difference.

Edit: just realized that I have done nothing but bitch in this thread, so I am going to make it clear that I absolutely adore this game.

I whine because I care.

Samfucius fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 21, 2013

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Samfucius posted:

The thing is, I did that. I explored every area, opened every box, played every instrument (even when enemies were like two feet away, I was loving committed), found all the ranger stashes, spared every life, saved every person that could be saved, returned the teddy bear... just ugh. The thing is, I know you are right. Somewhere out there is like one little cigar box with three ball bearings and a filter that I never found, and it is the difference.

Edit: just realized that I have done nothing but bitch in this thread, so I am going to make it clear that I absolutely adore this game.

I whine because I care.

Did you spare all the bosses? Including, the bear? I've heard from some people that saving the 3 bosses is required to get the good ending along with getting the required moral points.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Metanaut posted:

The swamp + catacombs was the low point of the game for me (I just got out of the catacombs). The constant waves of bullet sponge monsters was a major drag after all those great stealth sections. Even after stocking up to over 200 assault rifle bullets at the church, I had only 2 handgun bullets left when that boss monster went down. Please tell me the rest of the game is free from that kind of stuff.
Yeah I don't think anything comes close to that again. I literally ran out of ammo on my ranger hardcore run while fighting the boss of the catacombs. So a threw all my knives then stabbed him to death, I was surprised how little damage he did up close so it worked fairly well. It was kind of epic, but stupid.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
Just finished it - really enjoyed it, but I feel like the storytelling was weaker than 2033. The whole thing with Anna felt incredibly shoe-horned in, we only saw her before for what, ten minutes?.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Love blooms on the battlefield.

Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho

Doctor Albatross posted:

Just finished it - really enjoyed it, but I feel like the storytelling was weaker than 2033. The whole thing with Anna felt incredibly shoe-horned in, we only saw her before for what, ten minutes?.
The bit with the stripper was even worse. Tits and see-through panties out of nowhere. Felt really unnecessary.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Scyron posted:

Love blooms on the battlefield.

What's with these guys? It's like one of my Japanese Ukranian animes!

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.

Doniazade posted:

The bit with the stripper was even worse. Tits and see-through panties out of nowhere. Felt really unnecessary.

Surely the player must be aroused at all times? :doh:

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
What upsets me is all the time and effort spent on animating the awkward nudity could have been used to make more than one take down animation. :smith:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Doctor Albatross posted:

Surely the player must be aroused at all times? :doh:

Whole game's just filled with nipples. Nipples everywhere. Last night I was killing nosalises on the (mid-late level) Bridge and took a look at one of their corpses. It had a row of four teats. I guess it was female.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Chillmatic posted:

What upsets me is all the time and effort spent on animating the awkward nudity could have been used to make more than one take down animation. :smith:

I agree about spending the effort elsewhere, but why would you want any takedown animation other than trench knife facepunching? :black101:

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Chillmatic posted:

There's a bunch of animations depending your angle of approach.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Doniazade posted:

I dunno, I want bothered by it. It makes sense that brothels and such would still exist in a post-apocalyptic setting. You have the option of getting a dance or not. People seem to be so distressed by seeing some tits in video games.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I actually avoided the dance due to the first one. I'll probably get it next time round but i've been told there isn't a surprise this time. Would have been cool if she had a tail or something, have it tie into the earlier conversations guards have.

Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho
I really like the upgrades to the melee knife from 2033, though stealth is silly as gently caress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpEes3yPGiE

Walking and jumping is completely silent, no need to crouch. Running for even one step alerts enemies in a large radius despite the fact that jumping is louder. See the end of the video.

Knife kills can only be heard from a distance of about one meter, and they only make enemies go "huh?" and turn around slowly, as seen in the beginning of the video.

Takedown animations are pointless on Ranger Hardcore as melee to any non-armored part is an instakill anyway. You can get quick kills by swinging as you approach so that the attack begins outside of takedown range.

You are essentially invisible in any area that isn't directly lit, even if enemies are looking directly at you. The definition of shadows in this game is very broad.

You have a grace period before being spotted most of the time. You can see it in action a few times in the factory part of the video.

Leather seats create sparks when struck with a knife, who knew.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Red Mundus posted:

Did you spare all the bosses? Including, the bear? I've heard from some people that saving the 3 bosses is required to get the good ending along with getting the required moral points.

I am not sure what you mean by that. The bear ran away at the end of the fight and when I went down the path it opened it was dogpiled, but still alive. I just walked past it. Was I supposed to shoot the fuckers off its back? I don't remember any way to spare the other bosses. The one that rammed through pillars I made ram through every single thing in the room. Nothing happened and it was still attacking me, so after sprinting for a minute I popped it once with the shotgun pistol and it died. Was there another option? The big swamp fucker was killed by the rangers, was I supposed to protect it?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Samfucius posted:

I am not sure what you mean by that. The bear ran away at the end of the fight and when I went down the path it opened it was dogpiled, but still alive. I just walked past it. Was I supposed to shoot the fuckers off its back? I don't remember any way to spare the other bosses. The one that rammed through pillars I made ram through every single thing in the room. Nothing happened and it was still attacking me, so after sprinting for a minute I popped it once with the shotgun pistol and it died. Was there another option? The big swamp fucker was killed by the rangers, was I supposed to protect it?

Yes, you're supposed to shoot them off. As for the swamp and catacombs bosses You can't save them. The 3 bosses to save I know of are: Traitor dude(can't remember name), Pavel, and the bear. It's only a rumor though so god only knows if it's true or not. I plan to do a replay and see if anything changes.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Red Mundus posted:

Yes, you're supposed to shoot them off. As for the swamp and catacombs bosses You can't save them. The 3 bosses to save I know of are: Traitor dude(can't remember name), Pavel, and the bear. It's only a rumor though so god only knows if it's true or not. I plan to do a replay and see if anything changes.

Well, I spared pavel as well as pulling him out of the arms, and I spared the traitor. If I don't choose a new game, can I just replay the bear chapter onwards and see the good ending, or do I have to redo the whole thing?

Edit: assuming I didn't gently caress other stuff up too.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Doniazade posted:

I really like the upgrades to the melee knife from 2033, though stealth is silly as gently caress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpEes3yPGiE

Walking and jumping is completely silent, no need to crouch. Running for even one step alerts enemies in a large radius despite the fact that jumping is louder. See the end of the video.

Knife kills can only be heard from a distance of about one meter, and they only make enemies go "huh?" and turn around slowly, as seen in the beginning of the video.

Takedown animations are pointless on Ranger Hardcore as melee to any non-armored part is an instakill anyway. You can get quick kills by swinging as you approach so that the attack begins outside of takedown range.

You are essentially invisible in any area that isn't directly lit, even if enemies are looking directly at you. The definition of shadows in this game is very broad.

You have a grace period before being spotted most of the time. You can see it in action a few times in the factory part of the video.

That's one of my few problems as well, stealth seems piss easy compared to the original. At least it had a nice system of "completely invisible, partially visible and HEY LOOK AT ARTYOM! Visible."

Mman
Nov 11, 2007

Red Mundus posted:

I didn't save the Bear and still got the good ending, so that must not be required for it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Ugh all my other games look so lovely after playing metro, I'm going through some severe graphics withdrawal.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The game must just have some pretty strict requirements for the good ending. I got the good ending on my first playthrough of 2033, but not in LL.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I'm pretty sure that you just need to get as many blue flashes on your screen as possible. And that none of them are weighted, you just need them in bulk. Are you sure you've explored all you can? The game will sometimes push you away from finding everything you can, especially on the surface and during some of the drama sequences.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 21, 2013

WALLGOD
May 3, 2006
WALLS FOR THE WALLGOD
For what it's worth, I didn't even know you could knock out guys until Venice station so I was slitting throats until then and killed all the bandits and still got the good ending. On the other hand I got all the diary entries, explored literally every inch possible so I got all the stashes (and the moral points associated with them) and spared the the ranger traitor, Pavel and saved the bear. I also think you have to try to not start fights with mutants in the dead city when the dark one child is with you.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I would love to play this game but despiute my best attempts I cannot get beyond the bit where you go to meet the Dark One with Anna (like, 15 minutes into the game).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9tuPTSGmuo

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

WALLGOD posted:

For what it's worth, I didn't even know you could knock out guys until Venice station so I was slitting throats until then and killed all the bandits and still got the good ending. On the other hand I got all the diary entries, explored literally every inch possible so I got all the stashes (and the moral points associated with them) and spared the the ranger traitor, Pavel and saved the bear. I also think you have to try to not start fights with mutants in the dead city when the dark one child is with you.

Sounds just like my playthrough and I didn't get the good ending.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Well, this game was as good as I hoped it'd be. Got the good ending and it really left me satisfied. Messed up my no-kill playthrough after I escaped the Red Line but oh well.

Also, if you speak Russian you should play the game in it -- the Russian voice acting is much better than the English one.

Stockholm Syndrome
Mar 30, 2010

ethanol posted:

Ugh all my other games look so lovely after playing metro, I'm going through some severe graphics withdrawal.

loving awesome that a small studio like this can still code an engine that looks so great. Kind of begs the question why the gently caress other larger studios can't do atleast as well.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I think it's because consoles aren't as powerful and most AAA game sales are on consoles, so they don't waste money on getting better graphics for PC users.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

KaneTW posted:

I think it's because consoles aren't as powerful and most AAA game sales are on consoles, so they don't waste money on getting better graphics for PC users.

Exactly, they're more interested in market saturation and maximizing profits (keep the shareholders happy), than appealing to a comparatively small niche demographic. The vast majority of people I know have never even heard of the metro series.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I saw that there's a season pass available for Last Light on Steam. Does anyone know anything about the dlc in it?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

RBA Starblade posted:

I saw that there's a season pass available for Last Light on Steam. Does anyone know anything about the dlc in it?
Nope, but I'm buying it anyway. :haw:

Take my money, take it.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Deep Silver Community Manager posted:

We'll have some more details tomorrow when it's officially announced!

For now: this is content 4A had cool ideas about but nothing was really set in stone yet with all the publisher turmoil in January. Now that Last Light has been completed and in stores, they'll be working on new single-player content that expands upon the Metro universe and gameplay.

Artyom's story in Last Light stands on its own in the main game.

The studio is and will also still be working on updates, of course.

I mean, how can I say no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Wouldn't mind some Khan DLC. I would like more development on 'Khan, how the hell did you get in here!?' Also the whole Genghis khan reincarnate thing is intriguing.

• Locked thread