Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

The problem is that the film is edited to make it internally inconsistent. You want to tell me you can do magic? Fine, I believe you. But when you wave the wand and say the magic words and different things happen each time then I'm going to suspect that something is wrong. In the first film it takes a couple of minutes to get from Earth to Vulcan. But if you asked me how long it takes them to get back from Vulcan to Earth I'd say 'several hours' based on all the things that happen in between. Similarly in the first half of the film I thought the trip to Kronos took 'a period of time' that could've been anything up to several days but later it clearly takes seconds. Ships travel at the speed of plot. That's fine. But when the speed of plot constantly changes then it looks like bad pacing and editing.

Compare and contrast to The Undiscovered Country, where the Enterprise goes to several places, all at the speed of plot and ships arrive just at the right time (Spock to beam up Kirk, Sulu at Kitomer). But it never feels contrived and there's the same sense of 'it takes time to get from place to place' throughout the film.
I remember the way to Kronos being quite short, actually. Isn't most of the talking happening before they leave dock? What happens between Sulu going to warp for the first time, and them dropping out of warp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Cingulate posted:

I'm not saying that's a bad write-up, but ...
I think how many people complain that "the method of travel used in this movie that is violating the laws of physics and is absolutely literally forever in any way impossible moves a bit faster than I think it should" is an interesting observation. It's like, we have a very strong intuition of how fast something should move between places when it's using a means of travel that's many times faster than anything, anything at all, could ever move. Why?

People are less concerned about the fact that it's impossible what they're doing, than about the feeling that they're doing the impossible a bit too quickly.
And yeah, for some, I know it basically boils down to having gotten a feeling of how quick warp should be from previous movies. But even there, it's absolutely, completely inconsistent. I also think Star Wars has travel speeds that'll move you halfway across the galaxy within hours, so it's not even vaguely consistent across all of scifi.

Haha, very true.

I guess it boils down to how seriously you take your magic McGuffin. I think a good example of this is the Sam Raimi Spiderman films. Reading the comics as a kid, I bought into the story that a bite from a radioactive spider could absolutely alter physiology to the point that a teenager could overnight have a rockin' bod, climb walls, and swing from an unlimited amount of webbing connected to an unlimited amount of buildings throughout the city, however in the movie the physics were wrong. I guess the mind tells us that if we are accepting that something unreal is happening, then every other aspect of the world around it should still function as we would expect.

Another example of this, and more on topic, is in Wrath of Khan. The first time I saw it, I could absolutely take their word for it that somewhere in the universe, there was a bug that could be inserted into one's brain and through this you could manipulate their every move, including having them lie to their friends in order to suit your commands. However, I was bothered and completely taken out of the movie from the get-go when Khan recognises Chekov, even stating "I never forget a face", when he hadn't even been on the show during Space Seed. Internal consistency in-universe is most key, once the initial rules have been set.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mourning Due posted:

Another example of this, and more on topic, is in Wrath of Khan. The first time I saw it, I could absolutely take their word for it that somewhere in the universe, there was a bug that could be inserted into one's brain and through this you could manipulate their every move, including having them lie to their friends in order to suit your commands. However, I was bothered and completely taken out of the movie from the get-go when Khan recognises Chekov, even stating "I never forget a face", when he hadn't even been on the show during Space Seed. Internal consistency in-universe is most key, once the initial rules have been set.

They do explain it. Chekov left a floater and Khan walked in.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Aatrek posted:

Yeah, it kind of bugged me that they were all "the Vengeance can't catch up to us at warp!" Yes it can, idiots, it just goes faster warp.
Yeah and honestly the scene where the Vengeance attacks the Enterprise in warp was genuinely terrifying because I'd never seen anything like that in Star Trek before. So really I'm willing to accept the stretching of canon laws if it leads to that.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Cingulate posted:

I remember the way to Kronos being quite short, actually. Isn't most of the talking happening before they leave dock? What happens between Sulu going to warp for the first time, and them dropping out of warp?

The Enterprise never went to Kronos. The encounter with the Vengeance happens just outside or just inside the neutral zone.

I'm not sure they ever really established how long it took Kirk to get to Kronos or they were vague enough that its uncertain. (I've only seen it once so far.)

Either way, if we're going to take Enterprise as canon (which it apparently is), Kronos is about 4 days away from Earth at warp 4-5ish.

:goonsay:

On an unrelated note, QMX-a model company that creates Trek replicas-was asked to create many of the props for the film including the models in Marcus's office.

They posted a gallery of the ships. It's pretty interesting. I noticed the NX-01 but not the ring ship.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mourning Due posted:

I guess it boils down to how seriously you take your magic McGuffin. I think a good example of this is the Sam Raimi Spiderman films. Reading the comics as a kid, I bought into the story that a bite from a radioactive spider could absolutely alter physiology to the point that a teenager could overnight have a rockin' bod, climb walls, and swing from an unlimited amount of webbing connected to an unlimited amount of buildings throughout the city, however in the movie the physics were wrong. I guess the mind tells us that if we are accepting that something unreal is happening, then every other aspect of the world around it should still function as we would expect.
I am CONSTANTLY annoyed by the violation of the laws of physics in any form of comic book movie. A genetic mutation won't allow you to violate Newton's third law and the first law of thermodynamics! You CANNOT create matter out of nothing, Dr. Banner!
Should I see a doctor over this?

Mourning Due posted:

Another example of this, and more on topic, is in Wrath of Khan. The first time I saw it, I could absolutely take their word for it that somewhere in the universe, there was a bug that could be inserted into one's brain and through this you could manipulate their every move, including having them lie to their friends in order to suit your commands.
I think that's not too implausible, actually. For example, the bug could secrete an oxytocin mimetic, or wrap around selected parts of your prefrontal lobe.

Strange Matter posted:

Yeah and honestly the scene where the Vengeance attacks the Enterprise in warp was genuinely terrifying because I'd never seen anything like that in Star Trek before. So really I'm willing to accept the stretching of canon laws if it leads to that.
Phasers shouldn't work at warp though, assuming they're particle beams! Photon torpedos could create their own warp bubble, but a beam can't!

what is happening to me

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 21, 2013

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Cingulate posted:

Phasers shouldn't work at warp though, assuming they're particle beams! Photon torpedos could create their own warp bubble, but a beam can't!

what is happening to me
Obviously they were at close enough range that their warp bubbles fused and could therefore freely exchange fire with conventional weapons.

EDIT: :techno:

Strange Matter fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 21, 2013

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Strange Matter posted:

Obviously they were at close enough range that their warp bubbles fused and could therefore freely exchange fire with conventional weapons.

EDIT: :techno:

This is what I assumed.

But I could also speculate that part of a phaser's firing mechanism actually extrudes a warped-space containment corridor in which the beam or bolt travels. While the phaser blast itself couldn't sustain this field, the field would still exist for a second or two after being fired. The decay of this field would be why phasers have a maximum range (otherwise you should be able to just take pot shots at other planets with your phasers).

I actually really like how fast warp feels in these new films. Yeah it a big difference from before, but the new jumping to warp effect combined with the fact that it seems to take only a few minutes to get to Kronos (new phonetic spelling!) or Vulcan makes warp drive seem magical and futuristic again. Just like communicators being able to make interstellar phone calls now, they have taken something that trekkies took for granted and accepted as a mundane part of the setting and make it fantastical again.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Cingulate posted:

what is happening to me

Phasers used to work at warp, back in TOS. If subspace radio is a thing, then why not a FTL beam weapon?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Aatrek posted:

Yeah, it kind of bugged me that they were all "the Vengeance can't catch up to us at warp!" Yes it can, idiots, it just goes faster warp.

"If he tries to get away with warp drive, hah! He's really in for a shock."

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
No guys, my biggest beef is you shouldn't be warping 5 feet next to a space dock!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My issue with Kirk's death was that I knew he would be alive ten minutes later. It was a well done scene and all, but I found myself not caring.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Interestingly enough, people I know who aren't as into Trek as I am didn't notice the regenerative blood thing and only expected Kirk to live because it's scifi.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...
It was, like a lot of the JJ Abrams stuff, more slick and kinetic (and yes, dumbed down) than a lot of what I think of as classic Trek, but as with Star Trek 09, I didn't mind it. On some level, I'm just thrilled for mainstream audiences to be excited about sci-fi again, and I'm legitimately excited to see what he does with Star Wars. Seems like a perfect fit.

One change I would've liked would have resolved the "Where are all the starships?" issue. While Marcus is attacking, they could have the Enterprise contact some Federation ships in the system and at least summon them to the scene. Around the time the Vengeance's weapons come back online and Khan takes it over, the reinforcements show up and Khan blows them away. Then again, they explain why no other ships show up well enough with the whole "jammed communications" throwaway line, and I suppose the blasting of the Enterprise while it was in warp fulfilled the space destruction quota well enough.

The person I saw it with thinks asking Old Spock for advice was a bit of a cheat, and I agree. I guess I assumed he had removed himself from events so as not to alter the timeline further and was off living as a hermit somewhere, not within easy reach of a video phone. Still, explaining that (or worse, killing him off while you still have Nimoy as a resource) would've taken as much screentime as just putting him in. Nimoy has waffled a lot about whether he is "retired" from acting (see his stint on Fringe as Bell), so I can see why the writers struggled with what to do with the character. Still, I hope if more movies get made, they can tread some new territory. I think they've earned it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

That Rough Beast posted:

One change I would've liked would have resolved the "Where are all the starships?" issue. While Marcus is attacking, they could have the Enterprise contact some Federation ships in the system and at least summon them to the scene.

Again though this completely ignores that any other Federation ships would be on the side of Marcus. He's the "good" guy as far as they're concerned.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

computer parts posted:

Again though this completely ignores that any other Federation ships would be on the side of Marcus. He's the "good" guy as far as they're concerned.

Also They mention before hand that most ships are off in other areas. Also the captains and first officers were killed

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also Nero destroyed a large portion of the fleet in the last movie. Why do you think there were only a dozen or so captains at that table? They imply that all of the ship captains that are nearby will be in that room. There are maybe a dozen, meaning there aren't that many ships in the local fleet. Then a bunch of them get killed or injured. This is not a plot hole, this just isn't "Sacrifice of Angels" era starfleet. There just aren't that many ships.

edit:
VV: there's no real evidence of this. In almost every instance where earth comes under attack, the attacker is met with overwhelming force. Unfortunately for starfleet, it's usually the borg or Nero's ship (which apparently is augmented with borg technology)

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 21, 2013

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The Federation seems to be pretty lax in its defense of Earth in the future.

Awfull Ioci
May 29, 2012
So did anyone else put together the Khan Blood, Carol Marcus Genesis creation thing? I expect that to be where she is able to make Genesis from. Also how does Pike die when the pilot for the original has them dragging Pike off to some forbidden planet?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Anything goes in an alternate universe.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Awfull Ioci posted:

So did anyone else put together the Khan Blood, Carol Marcus Genesis creation thing? I expect that to be where she is able to make Genesis from. Also how does Pike die when the pilot for the original has them dragging Pike off to some forbidden planet?

I didn't but that's a pretty neat idea. Would make sense to do something with it rather than forget it in the next movie.
What're you on about Pike being dragged off to some forbidden planet??

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Probably referring to this.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Well, presumably Carol came up with Genesis independent of Khan's super-blood in the alpha timeline, so I doubt there's any kind of relationship there.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Pope Mobile posted:

The Federation seems to be pretty lax in its defense of Earth in the future.

I assume it's because there are supposed to be how many hundred worlds in the Federation? Not every member has its own fleet and would rely on Starfleet to cover them, no?

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Pope Mobile posted:

My issue with Kirk's death was that I knew he would be alive ten minutes later. It was a well done scene and all, but I found myself not caring.

Actually I had heard there was some sort of controversial ending and watching the movie I thought they just might kill Kirk for real. I was obviously delusional but thought it would be great. I especially didn't like his character in the first movie and was glad to see there was finally some sort of consequence to acting like a rebellious teenager when you're commanding the flagship if the fleet. I would have enjoyed the next film without him, Spock as captain and Sulu working toward his destiny to helm the Excelsior. But alas, they brought him back. :(

Question:

When Sulutook over as captain and made his announcement to Khan, did he say he would shoot the torpedos in TWO minutes? Wasn't sure if I heard that right. Couldn't be.

Great_Gerbil posted:

On an unrelated note, QMX-a model company that creates Trek replicas-was asked to create many of the props for the film including the models in Marcus's office.

They posted a gallery of the ships. It's pretty interesting. I noticed the NX-01 but not the ring ship.

Yeah I kind of sighed when they panned across the Ares V.

Styles Bitchley fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 21, 2013

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Barely invented the wheel.

I liked the way the super-holy sacred scroll was casually discarded as they were sketching out the Enterprise with a stick. Nice compact storytelling.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yeah, Nthing the criticism of the Nimoy Hotline here. I honestly don't get why they felt that was necessary, I would have vastly preferred if they found out about Khan the same way they did in the original episode, re: someone looks him up in the ships historical archives and puts the pieces together just a little too late. The scene in the movie is, in my opinion, the low point.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Is there a Trekkies.txt? Because people on Metafilter and i09 are SO ANGRY that this movie isn't 100% airtight and logically consistent.

Kirk was a horny hothead, Spock was logical, Bones was a doctor and not a mechanical engineer. There were Tribbles. It was an enjoyable movie for both me, who had seen WoK and Old Trek, and my sister, who hasn't but enjoyed the slashy bits. Very few people care if the warp core is properly calibrated. Geek movies get subjected to this stupid level of scrutiny where they don't just need to make internal sense but they also need to confirm to 50 years of often contradictory continuity or they're the WORST THING EVER.

And this goes double for people nitpicking Iron Man 3.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Having been a trek fan practically since birth (my mom is a superfan) I've seen all the shows, the movies, a ton of the books, etc.

I thought STID was great. There are some flaws but I think my opinion can mostly be summed up as: what it did right makes it one of the best trek movies ever made. What it did wrong still puts it miles ahead of other trek movies.

I thought someone a few pages ago put it best when they said that these are the same characters, same motivations, but because of the timeline split the situations are just different, and so some of the reversals are really well handled in that light.

Edit: all the nitpicky points that have been batted back and forth are no better or worse than stuff in old trek. Honestly, how dumb was it to have McCoy carrying a backup of Spock's mind in his head in ST3 vs Khan's magical blood in STID?

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 22, 2013

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

Error 404 posted:

Edit: all the nitpicky points that have been batted back and forth are no better or worse than stuff in old trek. Honestly, how dumb was it to have McCoy carrying a backup of Spock's mind in his head in ST3 vs Khan's magical blood in STID?

The difference is one deus ex machina was written after a character died in one movie so they could produce a new movie. khan's blood and kirk's "death" was a dumb gimmick that fooled nobody but the stupidest people and could have been left out of the movie entirely. Also opens the path to questions about why the gently caress isn't everyone on earth immortal now since they've found a cure for death.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Star Trek 3 is a criticized film as well, so what's your (Error 404's) point? In fact, it seems to be viewed on an overall similar level to this one.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I wonder why people fixate on dying as if dying in itself is something that make for good plot.

Kirk experienced character development because of his dying experience. That in itself is far more important than permanent death (which would be stupid because Star Trek without Kirk is not going to fly even if a smaller portion of the "hardcore" want it badly)

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ChronoReverse posted:

I wonder why people fixate on dying as if dying in itself is something that make for good plot.

The complaint is that any emotional resonance is lost because of the too-obvious telegraphing, which is the exact opposite of the movie it references, which had strong emotional power. The only real way for that to hit anywhere near emotionally is to actually go through with it, which there was approximately 0% chance for that movie to do.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
My point is that all film is (and should be) criticised, but the specific crap being picked on in this thread takes on more of a tone of "this trek is not my trek so it's the worst thing ever" when in reality, this was a perfectly fine film, and an excellent entry into the Star Trek film series.

poo poo, nobody seems to have issues with Scotty's annoying sidekick having literally no reason to exist in the narrative of ST09 and this film, but they want to hammer repeatedly on Spock said Kirk's line!!! The audience knows kirk will live! This film is trash! in WoK the audience also has plenty of information that characters do not. And in WoK, the plot was arguably worse, the action was good for its time, and of course the noted dramatic stylings of "well respected acting talent" Will Shatner (tm).

I just think folks are either looking at the old stuff with rose tinted glasses, or not giving the new stuff credit for (if not being better) not being worse than the old stuff.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Darko posted:

The complaint is that any emotional resonance is lost because of the too-obvious telegraphing, which is the exact opposite of the movie it references, which had strong emotional power. The only real way for that to hit anywhere near emotionally is to actually go through with it, which there was approximately 0% chance for that movie to do.

And as mentioned in the spoilers, a near equivalent amount of emotion was realized through the character going through a realization of their death, even if they didn't stay dead forever.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Darko posted:

It's not as telegraphed for regular non-edgy super genre-savvy folks.

I can see it coming a mile away since they do the blood thing nearly at the beginning. And then hammered it in twice with tribbles. I groaned slightly during the movie but those with me were oblivious.

But those I saw it with found the Kirk dying scene to be emotional despite all that. Sometimes we the hardcore project too much onto others.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

There are plenty of complaints in this very thread that analyze it as a film in itself and state why it does not work as well as it could. In fact, most of them seem to be rather even-handed, especially early on, ie., a) worked, but once b) was introduced, it kind of soured me on the experience overall.

The comparisons to the old series are kind of inevitable because a huge portion of the movie relies almost entirely on referencing familiarity with the characters/series. For instance, the ZOOM IN CHARACTER REVEAL has no bearing outside of being a dramatic audience reveal, and the emotional explosion at the end by one of the characters is only earned if we take prior knowledge into account, since them being close for 10 minutes of movie time up until this point does not earn that reaction. Since you're forced to take the old series into account, you can't help but see what it referenced and how it succeeded or failed in doing so.

The reception for this, at least in this thread, seems to be somewhere around the retrospect-reception (and not when first released) of First Contact, where it's kind of okay but doesn't make much sense and makes a lot of weird plot and character decisions. That still puts it in the upper-midrange of overall Star Trek films.

As far as "Star Trek nerd" reactions, there is literally no reason to ever factor in what someone with a huge pre-existing bias (to the point of being unable to review something without that bias interfering in a huge way) has to say about a film unless you need to make money off of them in some way. Irrational fans are ignorable unless you're the studio. it's like going to theforce.net for opinions on Star Wars stuff - don't do it.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Error 404 posted:

My point is that all film is (and should be) criticised, but the specific crap being picked on in this thread takes on more of a tone of "this trek is not my trek so it's the worst thing ever" when in reality, this was a perfectly fine film, and an excellent entry into the Star Trek film series.

poo poo, nobody seems to have issues with Scotty's annoying sidekick having literally no reason to exist in the narrative of ST09 and this film, but they want to hammer repeatedly on Spock said Kirk's line!!! The audience knows kirk will live! This film is trash! in WoK the audience also has plenty of information that characters do not. And in WoK, the plot was arguably worse, the action was good for its time, and of course the noted dramatic stylings of "well respected acting talent" Will Shatner (tm).

I just think folks are either looking at the old stuff with rose tinted glasses, or not giving the new stuff credit for (if not being better) not being worse than the old stuff.

I actually enjoyed the film but felt pretty much nothing during Kirk's death because I knew he was coming back to life. I put much of it on being too overt with the "magic blood" thing.

Scotty's partner is great in that he is useless. They even mention this when Scotty is in the bar; "What do you even do? You just sit around!" He's basically an imaginary friend come to life.

E: Another thing I really liked was how things were shown and not told (paging Plinkett) ala the Star Wars Prequels. One of the biggest is right in the beginning when we see Kirk violate the Prime Directive to rescue Spock.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 22, 2013

DentArthurDent
Aug 3, 2010

Diddums
One thing that bothered me in the 09 film, and reared it's ugly head here again: Cadet Kirk as Captain. It seemed ridiculous that a cadet (under disciplinary investigation!) would instantly rise to the rank of Captain, even if it was all a PR stunt. Sure, he helped save the Earth, but if the JJ-verse is anything like the original Trek universe, then someone is saving the Earth every couple of weeks...

I understand that thematically they felt they had to end the film with "Captain" Kirk in the big chair, rather than Lieutenant Kirk or something similar, but like a lot of things in these two movies it starts to fall apart if you think about it too much.

Then, in the new film, we have Kirk being removed as Captain of the Enterprise...and told he is going back to the academy! So are we supposed to believe he has still been a cadet all this time, even while Captain of the Enterprise? Then five minutes later he is Commander Kirk and back on active duty (and an Admiral turns into a Captain)...and five minutes after that he is Captain Kirk again! Sure, a few senior officers died in the attack on Starfleet headquarters, but there must be hundreds (thousands?) of experienced Commanders, Lieutenant Commanders, Lieutenants, etc. in the fleet who would be better suited for those positions. Heck, why is Spock not put in command?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

Error 404 posted:

I could pick on general crap instead of specific crap if you like. The movie is general crap. There you go.

I could go through old Trek movies and complain about stupid poo poo but they have so much to redeem them, I don't care. At least the writers made a genuine effort to create something intelligent and in the spirit of the series for most of the other movies, except maybe nemisis. The only thing that can possibly make anyone overlook all the crap in this movie is the action. That doesn't cut it for Star Trek. It's not supposed to be loving Transformers and it's a waste and a shame making it into that.

• Locked thread