Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

bbf2 posted:

My god is Ben Grimm annoying as hell in this.

Ben Grimm is hardly the most annoying on the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpBDqPYVuO4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

E the Shaggy posted:

I'd blow that building up too if I had to listen to that song.

For some reason, he looks more like a demonic entity rather than the Human Torch. Maybe it is the suit and tie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FutureBoy posted:

He's annoying in most things.

And thank god for Hawkeye finally pointing it out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

E the Shaggy posted:

Why is the girl he has a crush on in his music video played by Sue? Also why everything else??? Aaaugh.

FutureBoy
Jan 18, 2003

"Listen, no offense, but if I'm getting taken down, man, it ain't gonna be from fuckin' Speedball!"
Just finished Superman: Unbound. I don't know if my expectations were a little low because no one seemed to care about it at all but I thought it was pretty good.
Non-spoilery review: All the actors are spot on, Stana Katic delivers a wonderful performance as Lois and Matt Bomer sounds like every other guy who's ever played Superman, so that's great. It's super-crazy violent and really REALLY dark. It's a bit of a departure from the other animated DC films. There are some real emotional moments that didn't, as one poster suggested, feel static and dead. I actually felt bad for Kara and everything she was going through. Superman moves and fights in this the way I kind of always wanted to see him fight. Lots of eye beams and he doesn't move anywhere, he falls at things with all the weight in the universe behind him. He fights like a flying anvil would fight.

One legitimate problem and one dumb problem: Legit: When Braniac's ship tilts in space after Superman ruins the engine, everything inside falls over. SPACE DON'T WORK THAT WAY!
Dumb: Isn't Brainiac EXACTLY the sort of problem the Green Lanterns should have been dealing with?

Edit: Oh hey, this is interesting - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2861210/

FutureBoy fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 19, 2013

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

FutureBoy posted:

He's annoying in most things.

snip

Imma need the source for this

FutureBoy
Jan 18, 2003

"Listen, no offense, but if I'm getting taken down, man, it ain't gonna be from fuckin' Speedball!"

The Blackest Goon posted:

Imma need the source for this

Zeb Wells' second recent Maximum Carnage mini. The whole thing is that good or better.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

And thank god for Hawkeye finally pointing it out.

Thing is awesome :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Thing is awesome :colbert:

You can be awesome and still be annoying as gently caress.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

You can be awesome and still be annoying as gently caress.

And how!

:v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

And how!

Well, you're half right.

pattywacker
Nov 8, 2005
you can download the first episode for Avengers Assemble for free from Itunes through Saturday
https://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/marvels-avengers-assemble/id645732139

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

iTunes plot synopsis posted:

"When Captain America is apparently destroyed by Red Skull, Iron Man reunites the team to avenge him,"

Didn't know Cap was a thing you guys

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Clearly they mean to say that Red Skull caused Steve's utter emotional devastation and rendered him a sobbing mess on the mansion floor.

Edit: Okay, watched it, some brief thoughts:
MAJOR SPOILER: Cap doesn't actually die. Shocking, I know.Actually he was taken prisoner by Red Skull to transfer his Nazi-rear end mind into Steve's body, a plot point anyone over five will see coming from early on.

Non spoilery comments: The visual presentation is really a mixed bag. It's got a smilar problem to a lot of anime: they go all out on the level of detail at the expense of animation smoothness. Some scenes look outright unfinished, while others mix fairly realistic textures with the 2D characters. It also has a very washed out look compared to EMH, which is odd because the Avengers film was actually quite bright and colorful.

Writing: Entertaining enough, with some decent lines. The Avengers disbanded some years prior to the start of the series for reasons not made entirely clear. IT doesn't reference any events from the movies or EMH, but it doesn't exactly contradict them either. Jeph Loeb may or may not have been telling the truth about it being in continuity with EMH, but regardless the tone is way different, less humorous and more dark. Seriously, it's the complete opposite of Ultimate Spider-Man and Agents of Smash. Hulk and Thor do have this weird, almost slapstick buddy cop rivalry that seems to be intended as funny, but the writing and art style clash with the slapstick and make Thor and Hulk look like reckless fools who endanger the lives of everyone around them. Iron Man is also really liberal with missiles aimed at regular humans. They have armor, but the hits are so direct that you'd think it wouldn't help much.

Acting: Ugh. Jarvis and Hulk sound basically right (Hulk's VA is the same, not sure about Jarvis), and most of the actors do passable imitations. The new Tony is pretty awful, though, not really sounding like RDJ or Eric Loomis and not selling the charisma needed to make the character tolerable. Black Widow has gone from the bad Russian accent of EMH to Laura Bailey imitating Scarlet Johansson (and somehow channeling Kath Soucie on some lines)

It's also really fast paced, in a lot of ways it reminds me of the old Spider-Man: The Animated Series. It doesn't bother with an origin, it assumes basic familiarity with the characters, and it's delivered at a pace reminiscent of Zero Punctuation.

Edit 2: Haha, that turned out to be not brief at all.

Chaltab fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 21, 2013

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

It seems rushed. Lots of shows (especially pilots) have little errors, but this once seems pretty thick with them. This pilot definitely could have used one more clean-up pass.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Ah, cartoons have been trying to persuade children than human beings are nothing more than objects to be broken for decades. It's creepy, but nothing new.

Here's my plus points for the episode: Thor didn't churn out "thee" and "thou" like an amateur dramatics production, and... uh... Tim Curry did a good job as Jarvis, I suppose.

On the other side of the coin, the plot was incoherent and hectic, like some kind of Anti-Bendis penned the thing to try and fit as much as possible into as many tiresome quips as possible. The Thor/Hulk dynamic was, as noted by Chaltab, kind of annoying.

Although to be fair, all the character interaction was annoying. Nobody seemed to like each other at all. Watching the episode was like sitting down at someone else's Thanksgiving dinner and watching grown siblings passive-aggressively snipe at each other while you quietly and repeatedly asked for someone to pass the sweet potatoes.

Even the supposed "friends" seemed to have this undercurrent of resentment, or maybe I was just so used to the bickering by that point that I couldn't see any kind of positivity occurring.

Black Widow was the sole female character in the entire show. There wasn't even so much as a cameo from anyone else. Plus Widow was basically the token "strong female character" who actually punched out some dude she wasn't even looking at to show off. I thought that in the Year of our Lord 2013 we'd progressed to a point that maybe we could have more than one woman around. But wait, no, didn't have any other women in the movie. Whoops! Can't go confusing the kids with superheroes who weren't in the movie. Introducing MODOK's fine though, kids know and love MODOK already, right?

The fights were actually really boring because mostly it was just the Avengers beating the poo poo out of a bunch of faceless goons with guns, followed by some high-velocity dialogue that made you dislike every single character you'd seen so far. There was absolutely no sense of a significant threat being posed, or any kind of challenge. Honestly, I tuned most of them out.

Earth's Mightiest Heroes had an opening two-parter where every supervillain prison busts open and one of the most dangerous and powerful villains ever seen tries to tear Manhattan out of the planet itself, bringing the team together and establishing bonds of trust. This opening episode is nothing but tiresome arguments and whining between petulant children, bookended by supervillains doing things completely uncontested. Whoever wrote this episode is incapable of feeling shame.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Lurdiak posted:

And how!

Here comes a special boy!

Oversaturation is the key thing with both, but both Deadpool and the Thing are great. In fact Ben Grimm might be one of my favouite heroes ever. Can anyone point me to any big drat hero moments for ole blue eyes?

FutureBoy
Jan 18, 2003

Nilbop posted:

Here comes a special boy!

Oversaturation is the key thing with both, but both Deadpool and the Thing are great. In fact Ben Grimm might be one of my favouite heroes ever. Can anyone point me to any big drat hero moments for ole blue eyes?

There's the classic fight between him and the Champion of the Universe. Don't ask me where it was though.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Fuego Fish posted:

Ah, cartoons have been trying to persuade children than human beings are nothing more than objects to be broken for decades. It's creepy, but nothing new.
Funny thing is, the show itself doesn't do that. It's just the iTunes description.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FutureBoy posted:

There's the classic fight between him and the Champion of the Universe. Don't ask me where it was though.

Marvel Two-in-one Annual #7. It's pretty good, although it's really funny how they find dumb ways for characters who outclass the Thing to be disqualified.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Fuego Fish posted:

On the other side of the coin, the plot was incoherent and hectic, like some kind of Anti-Bendis penned the thing to try and fit as much as possible into as many tiresome quips as possible.

Loeb. Just say Loeb.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That felt more like a middle of the season episode than a premiere.

Story: So basically almost everything about this episode is bad. The writing is ridiculously fast-paced, it transitions from big moment to big moment without any room to really think about what just happened and why it did happen. These characters are dropped onto us in that awful excuse for a character introduction sequence where Stark basically just says "Oh hey, this guy does a thing" about everyone. Then Cap is zapped by Red Skull, who happens to be alive except there's no reason for why he's back, we're just meant to go "Oh hey, Red Skull's back I guess." and I suppose everyone's supposed to inherently know who MODOK is, so maybe with that it's based on EMH. Oh wait, where are Wasp, Ant Man and Black Panther then? Did they fall off the face of the Earth? Who cares because this show would probably poorly characterize them too.

Continuing on there are just some dumb moments in the episode like loving Stark not recognizing Captain America's voice is immediately not his voice when he pulls Skull-Cap out of the mind swap machine. How about the fact that Stark apparently set up the War Machine armor for Wilson, but nope he has access to anything and everything, HE WANTS THE FALCON ARMOR! How about the fact that Red Skull apparently knew MODOK could tear apart Iron Man the entire time, but waited until they beat him to do so? Because Stark was declared the leader then and he's just like "Oh hey, Iron Man's the actual leader, guess I better kill him instead!"p

Characters: These characters are basically giant stereotypes of what they were like in the movie, except not really. Stark is a self-titled genius who does not know how to shut the gently caress up and is apparently bad at this whole technology thing, because he spends most of the episode getting punked by MODOK. Captain America? I can't really gauge a personality for him other than tough guy, because he's barely in the episode and for the little time he's in it he just says a bunch of tough guy things and has a deep voice. Hawkeye is completely different from the movie in that he's always quipping forever until I want him to shut up more than I do Stark. Seriously, most of his dialogue is jokes, not even good ones. Black Widow is just the strong tough girl, just repeat what I said with Cap but make it Scarlet Johansson as a cartoon instead. Hulk says smash a lot and smiles, why? I dunno, but he always seem to be happy about something, maybe it's the fact he got his own TV show with Seth Green and Ben Diskin, I'd be happy about that too. Thor is probably the closest to his movie version in that he's not completely loving insufferable like everyone else, but he's also not memorable.

I'd say something about the villains, but there's not much to say about them. Red Skull is evil and wants to rule the world by transferring his mind into Cap's body, so he's easily got more characterization than half of the cast and MODOK shouts. While I'm talking about characterization, Sam Wilson AKA Falcon is the worst character in this show because they toss him right into the show and expect you to know who it is. I understand he's supposed to be the audience insert and this is advertisement for CA Winter Soldier, but it's seriously bad when he just becomes part of the Avengers for no apparent reason. I don't think the people who wrote this show actually saw the movie most of this is based on, because this team was actually a unit together by the end of the movie since they all had a common goal, AVENGING THE apparent DEATH OF PHIL COULSON and saving the world. They didn't just coin the term because "Oh hey Cap, I saved you from a thing." "Thanks Tony, for AVENGING me." Just tossing Wilson on the team is stupid too, this guy doesn't prove anything, apparently he already knows Stark through some vague connection and then he starts talking about himself like "OH man, I hope I didn't hit Captain America, BECAUSE I LIKE CAPTAIN AMERICA!" He doesn't even have a reason for picking the Falcon suit over the War Machine one, he just picks it because "AW YEAH, FALCON SUIT!"

Acting: It was mediocre for the most part. Voices that were good were Robin Atkin Downes as Jarvis, Fred Tatasciore as Hulk, Travis Willingham as Thor and loving Troy Baker as Hawkeye, everyone else was either bad or generic. Just to speak up for Troy Baker, his delivery on the awful jokes is great, like I almost laughed because of his delivery until I realized the jokes were actually bad, that's how good he is. Stark's new voice is straight up awful, really I shouldn't be saying new though considering it was just as bad in Ultimate Spider-Man and Iron Manime. Laura Bailey as Black Widow, Roger Craig Smith as Captain America, and Charlie Adler as MODOK were all generic. Black Widow sounds like every tough girl Laura Bailey has voiced ever, same goes for Roger Craig Smith, literally take everything I say about Cap and apply it to Widow, they're gonna be the same complaints probably. Oh my god, I hate to say it, but Liam O' Brien sucked as the Red Skull. I love that voice actor and his voice, but he didn't really even try at a German accent, he just said some German words and used English words in the way a German accent would inflect them. Wilson was another generic voice too, but it goes with his generic character and whatever.

This is just one episode, but if this is your premiere episode, there's a lot that is wrong with it.

Also, here's my review of the animation

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nilbop posted:

Can anyone point me to any big drat hero moments for ole blue eyes?

Tomorrow's FF is a good example, make sure you buy it.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Voices that were good were Robin Atkin Downes as Jarvis

Man, shows I should keep up with things more often. Last I heard (ie, checked wikipedia) they'd got Tim Curry down as the voice of Jarvis. Thought it didn't sound like him.

edit: wait no, credits say it's David Kaye. Guess we're all messing up on the VA list.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It is unfair to judge the animation on a intro montage...

That IS an intro montage, right?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Unlucky7 posted:

It most certainly isn't :smithicide:!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I just want to know what the hell was up with Nick Fury's VA because it didn't seem to match the character imo.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

achillesforever6 posted:

I just want to know what the hell was up with Nick Fury's VA because it didn't seem to match the character imo.

chi McBride does found, the voice sounds too respectable for a character like Fury, but it fits the appearance if anything.

Unlucky7 posted:

Hahaahahahahahaha.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

FutureBoy posted:

Second episode of Dexters Lab has pretty much the same story, but with Thing replaced with the Monkey, and the Champion replaced by a blue Champion in a luchadore mask voiced by Macho Man. Also, it's kind of strange they're called the Justice Friends, but they're all takes on Marvel characters.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

This new show doesn't even have a theme song to complain about.

Like, no joke, between that, the rushed story, and the lovely animation, the episode strikes me as outright unfinished.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
It just makes me want to rewatch DCAU, Earth's Mightest Heroes, Spectacular Spider Man, Spider-man 67, and Brave and the Bold. They all seem better uses of my time

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

We have to go now our planet needs us.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Chaltab posted:

This new show doesn't even have a theme song to complain about.

Seriously, I don't know what Marvel's grudge against theme songs is. I mean, I'll be the first to admit that EMH's theme was pretty poo poo, but it was there. Theme songs for cartoons are fun and get the audience excited to sit on their asses and watch a show, plus a catchy earworm helps to remind you the show is still around so you'll still watch it. But both this and Ultimate Spider-Man's intro are both "Put Marvel logo on screen. BRAND RECOGNITION COMPLETE. Place show name on screen. DONE." like a Marvel ad exec did them after a brain slug invasion.

Also, I hope anybody who complained about Eric Loomis' Tony Stark voice on EMH is eating their words because Adrian Pasdar is goddamn awful.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 22, 2013

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I liked Eric Loomis's voice for Stark it fit him perfectly. (I honestly don't get how several of you people can dislike it) In fact all the voices feel inferior to their EMH's counterparts. Tony does have the worst voice of the cast in AA. I know these are good voice actors but they just don't fit the characters as well I find.

The writing is not as good and the story was super rushed and all over the place. The Art style is worse even if the animation is pretty good. (While being horribly choppy in some scenes) Even EMH's at its' worst was better then AA. And EMH took a dive in quality in the second half of the second season because the writers for AA took over.

Overall I just wonder why they even bothered replacing EMH's it just seems like it was a pointless act of stupidity. (Also AA got rid of Wasp and she was great in EMH so another point against AA.)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Seriously, I don't know what Marvel's grudge against theme songs is. I mean, I'll be the first to admit that EMH's theme was pretty poo poo

The first four times I heard the EMH theme I was like "Haha what the gently caress is this" and by episode five it was AVENGER TIME.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The lack of a theme song might just be for the opening episodes. Lots of shows do that, and I want to say EMH did it as well (though I might be wrong).

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Hakkesshu posted:

The lack of a theme song might just be for the opening episodes. Lots of shows do that, and I want to say EMH did it as well (though I might be wrong).

It especially wouldn't surprise me for a preview pilot like this.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Just saw the first episode. Yeah, it's not impressive, but it's early and I like some design decisions more than I did in EMH.

I don't understand why it looks kind of janky, though. Ultimate Spider-Man, despite being awful, is like the best looking cartoon on television right now. What happened here?

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The first four times I heard the EMH theme I was like "Haha what the gently caress is this" and by episode five it was AVENGER TIME.

Yeah pretty much this

OUR WORLD'S ABOUT TO BREAK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Just saw the first episode. Yeah, it's not impressive, but it's early and I like some design decisions more than I did in EMH.

I don't understand why it looks kind of janky, though. Ultimate Spider-Man, despite being awful, is like the best looking cartoon on television right now. What happened here?
I think the character designs by and large look great, but like I said before, they're a good deal more complicated than your typical superhero cartoon, which leads to less fluid animation. And in some cases no animation. That's what I meant when I said it looks like a bad anime.

• Locked thread